Game-Labs Forum

10 hours ago, Cptbarney said:

Also here are some moar images, i noticed the second image is harsh on the lighting but, i have to set up my new pc now. At least you get a comparison of Miss triomphant with grandma volitarie (lol).

1599731031-triomphant-sbb-new-hdr.jpeg

1599731031-triomphant-with-miss-volitair

Well time to set up muh new pc! 'w'

This comparison is awesome!

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Marshall99 said:

This comparison is awesome!

Yeah once i fix the models in blender and get used to the lighting and rendering system on there ill do moar.

Ill also re-do von der tanns hull as well as there is some lighting issues but making railings in blender is a lot trickier than i thought it would be.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Adm.Hawklyn said:

Quality is really good. what ship is that representing by the way? Arizona?

Its like a mixture of an arizona alongside some other early pre-dread and more modern pre-dread ships.

also her bow is low in the water due to waves, but as i get better at blender ill figure out the material colouring and rendering better.

only just transitioned from 3ds max to blender and doing ship railings took me awhile to figure out.

• Like 1

Well, im making progress with the rendering side of things, probs still have too look at lighting in-general. But at least i know how the materials work, will get pitty pittsburgh in blender as well and see if she is ok. Then fix her up finish of last parts and uv unwrap her somehow.

Using the greek ship for now as a way to learn better and quicker.

1599920469-render-of-greek-super-pre-dre

1599920227-render-of-greek-super-pre-dre

Will experiment more after i model my sci-fi gun.

Enjoy!

(colours also to help with visualisation).

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, IronKaputt said:

Composite, I presume?

I ain't afraid of no rockets, but dat shaped charge shells... it's scares me 😰

She would of been upgraded with whatever relevant materials are used today too be honest. It's more less if the world for whatever reason didn't go mental over whizzy flying things (missiles) and stuck to guns or guns proved more useful for whatever reason.

Kinda just using wikipedia for the stat entries lol.

Well, i made some adjustments to her. Ill fix her more glaring issues tommorrow since i have four days off.

1600023850-greek-basic-render.jpg

Taking on a bit more shape will move the casemates up to make them look like they are joined to the hull and also probs redo that walk way on the superstructure.

• Like 3

Did some moar work on her, including changing the hull for later to add anchors, adding some lifeboats (just behind the main SS) and changing the main SS it self along with little doodads and other additions.

Still getting used to blender and its rendering system ill follow some stuff online to get better water and sea foam.

1600110735-greek-semi-basic.jpg

Enjoy! 'w'

• Like 2

And heres some moar details, been playing around with materials for the ship. Didn't realise i had metallic off lol.

1600172039-greek-enhanced.jpg

Might get rid of the sea foam stuff, since despite my new computer i would need to either increase it to stupid resolutions or zoom out pretty far.

At least shes looking better now. Might start working on the other ships.

• Like 2

It's very nice looking through this thread and seeing some great designs. So far I've managed to make quite a few on sketchup and upload them onto sketchfab, below is an example.

Monitor class

Length- 150m

Beam- 26m

Draught- 4.6m

Freeboard- 5.6m

Displacement 18,100 tonnes

Main battery- 6 (3x2) 15 inch or 381mm guns

Secondary battery - 16x1 150mm casemate guns 8 (4x2) 120mm guns (also doubles up as AA)

AA armament- 10 2 row sextuple mounts in turrets

Propulsion

Diesel electric motors outputing 5000hp giving a top speed of 12.5 knots

Range - 4000 miles

Armour

Belt-300mm, citadel deck- 200mm, Upper 100mm, End (inc decks) 20mm

Main gun- 270mm barbette, 100mm arount the turret, 270mm face armour

The concept of the Monitor class was to effectively be a mini battleship with 2 15 inch turrets that opperated at the coast line, something I think could be a fun idea in this game. I first aimed for 2x2, then thought why not have 2 quad mounts and give Bismarck a run for his money, but eventually settled on 2 tripple mounts. The armour layout is a boxed citadel with the thickest protecting the vitals, with extra in places to protect against splinters, and the upper protecting the casemate guns. The huge bulges are indeed anti torpedo bulges. The design was inspired by the British roberts class of monitors and so speed wasn't a concern, and provided it had some form of screening it should be able to defend the coastline from most small-medium threats.

Screenshot (260).png

Screenshot (259).png

Screenshot (258).png

• Like 4

Defo taking shape now, ill post some stats about her later on today. Getting a better idea on the lighting but still needs some work, still debating whether i should finish this ship off and uv map her plus texture her or simply get pittsburgh into blender and see if she is ok and do whatever is left for me to do for her.

ill be spending some time on my next portfolio project to get that done and out of the way.

enjoy! 'w'

1600262011-greek-advanced.jpg

1600262009-greek-advanced-2.jpg

1600262013-greek-advanced-3.jpg

• Like 4

32 minutes ago, Gangut said:

It's very nice looking through this thread and seeing some great designs. So far I've managed to make quite a few on sketchup and upload them onto sketchfab, below is an example.

Monitor class

Length- 150m

Beam- 26m

Draught- 4.6m

Freeboard- 5.6m

Displacement 18,100 tonnes

Main battery- 6 (3x2) 15 inch or 381mm guns

Secondary battery - 16x1 150mm casemate guns 8 (4x2) 120mm guns (also doubles up as AA)

AA armament- 10 2 row sextuple mounts in turrets

Propulsion

Diesel electric motors outputing 5000hp giving a top speed of 12.5 knots

Range - 4000 miles

Armour

Belt-300mm, citadel deck- 200mm, Upper 100mm, End (inc decks) 20mm

Main gun- 270mm barbette, 100mm arount the turret, 270mm face armour

The concept of the Monitor class was to effectively be a mini battleship with 2 15 inch turrets that opperated at the coast line, something I think could be a fun idea in this game. I first aimed for 2x2, then thought why not have 2 quad mounts and give Bismarck a run for his money, but eventually settled on 2 tripple mounts. The armour layout is a boxed citadel with the thickest protecting the vitals, with extra in places to protect against splinters, and the upper protecting the casemate guns. The huge bulges are indeed anti torpedo bulges. The design was inspired by the British roberts class of monitors and so speed wasn't a concern, and provided it had some form of screening it should be able to defend the coastline from most small-medium threats.

Screenshot (260).png

Screenshot (259).png

Screenshot (258).png

I really like the design, never heard of sketchup. But i do love the contrast between old style pre-dread features with some more modern designs and equipment, works surprisingly well. 

Also nice too see others post there ships here too wish moar would do so lol.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Cptbarney said:

I really like the design, never heard of sketchup. But i do love the contrast between old style pre-dread features with some more modern designs and equipment, works surprisingly well. 

Also nice too see others post there ships here too wish moar would do so lol.

Cheers :D. Come to think about it, the monitor does look like what would happen if pre-dreads came back in a ww2 setting, since I did also include radar ontop of the front conning tower.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Cptbarney said:

Finally re-did her turrets, couldn't alter the mesh well on the previous versions. I think these suit her better.

Also i have lots of time tomorrow and various days after so can do more work on her then.

1600628718-greek-new-turrets.jpg

1600628718-greek-new-turrets-2.jpg

She has tons of secondaries, RIP all light cruisers and destroyers 😁

23 minutes ago, Marshall99 said:

She has tons of secondaries, RIP all light cruisers and destroyers 😁

Yeah, shes a new type of pre-dread, essentially a super pre-dread at least thats what i was going for anyways when i made her.

Also ill do her stats as well soon.

• Like 1

Greek Super Pre-dreadnought Kos.

Displacement: Full load 26,000 tonnes

Length: 225 metres.

Beam: 8 metres.

Draft: 7 metres.

Propulsion: 1 steam turbine set, 3 vertical Triple expansion steam engines. 4 screws.

Speed: 22 knots.

Range: 10,000km's.

Complement:  85 (+25) officers, 825 (+105) men. (+ means wartime).

Armament: 4x3 362mm guns main battery, 8x2 279mm Secondary turrets, 12x1 156mm tetritary battery, 12x1 40mm Autocannons, 8x1 12.7mm heavy machine guns.

Armour: Belt main section: 320mm. Light section: 150mm. Deck: 105 mm Weather: 50 mm Splinter deck: 25 mm Barbettes: 220mm (Mains), 175mm (Heavier secondaries), 100mm (Case-mates). Turrets Main guns: 350mm side: 145mm rear: 100mm top  Conning tower: 250mm.

Construction year: 1909

Number Built: 8

Edited by Cptbarney
  • Like 2