Game-Labs Forum

Hi smoll forumites!

I have created this thread for the sole purpose for allowing peeps to showcase any designs for ships NOT related to UA:D directly (so as in no ships made in UA:D) but ship designs that you may have created from various eras (for example from 1650-2020).

These can be in the form of 3d models, line drawings, shipbucket style ships, hand drawings etc. They don't have to be real designs, but based off various warships that did and didn't exist or never made it (yes you can use wows and warthunder as points of reference if you want to).

Also this thread doubles as a little chat area, we have the forum bar on wurld of danks so makes sense to have something similar here!

Ill post an example of a ship i made earlier.

Loyal Class Battleship

Full load: 22,500

Normal load: 19,500

Primary Armament: 345mm 2x2 13.5inch.

Secondary Armament: 178mm 6x2 7inch. (Both sides). 152mm 24x1 6inch casemates. (Both sides)

Tetritary Armament:  40mm Hotchkiss Naval Enhanced 14x1 1.5inch. (Both sides). 35mm Maxim-Vickers Autocannon Naval 8x1 1.35inch.

Engine Power: 23,500 IHP,  22 Vertical Boilers, 2 Vertical Triple-Expansion Engines, 2 Screws.

Armour: Belt: 335mm's. Upper Deck: 223mm's. Deck Extended: 50mm's. Barbettes Main guns: 335mm's. Main Gun armour front: 350mm's. Main gun top armour: 85mm's. Secondary gun turret armour: 203mm's. Belt extended: 105mm's. Upper Belt: 203mm's. Conning tower: 335mm's. Bulkheads: 229mm's.

Range: 20-22,000 km or 12427-13670 (Depending on Speed, consumables, condition and route).

Complement: 800 Peacetime or 925 Wartime.

And images below.

SEkmrwt.jpg

ypicgBn.jpg

ugbOiSi.jpg

Remember the ships don't have to be exact to real life standards and you can mix it up a bit. Also please be noice to each other, makes it easier to apply constructive critism and helps with a happier atmosphere (Which is needed with how things are going in the world and all).

Enjoy!

'w'/

• Like 8
  • Thanks 2

This a corvette/patrol boat i am working on it is more modern, and quite basic atm. Ill also start working on a 14,500 tonne supercruiser after i've finished the big Von der Tann Class Supercruiser which ill post screenies later on.

Either way heres the smoll boute.

VHTNVyB.jpg

dT5oQVy.jpg

Ill probs start texturing the loyal class as well once im done with my stark trek fed ship design (lol so many ships).

• Like 4

9 hours ago, Whomst'd've said:

Very nice looking ship, what did you use to create this?

sorry for the late reply had work today.

I used 3ds max 2018 student, but i might do the rest of the ships in blender 2.81 or alternate between the two programmes, i also use gimp, substance painter and quixel plus blender for texturing.

• Like 1

New renders for the cold-war modern patrol boat/small corvette thing. And also experitmented with more stuff for the loyal class pre-dread for its render.

Ill be starting the next pre-dread today and the other supercruiser tommorrow.

YJKlpgl.jpg

6Wi1gUo.jpg

S75GVi0.jpg

• Like 7

52 minutes ago, Cptbarney said:

Oh and here is a very, very basic design of the new pre-dread.

tPnegcy.png

Will be doing much more work on her tommorrow. Gives a little idea of what she will be like.

Woow this is a very early pre-dread design, maybe it can be an ironclad. I like the bridge in the middle. Under the bridge there is enough space for a huge secondary turret, maybe two and they could crossfire. 

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Marshall99 said:

Woow this is a very early pre-dread design, maybe it can be an ironclad. I like the bridge in the middle. Under the bridge there is enough space for a huge secondary turret, maybe two and they could crossfire. 

YEah i was going for a more 1880’s-1890’s look, i’ll provs either put a single secondary turret or just two turrets near the bridge. Got inspired by some designs that split the bridge up and i thought ill do the same.

Although i have work tommorrow morning so won’t be able to work on it till around 11-12 tommorrow. Think ill go for more cicrular turrets like the secondaries on the loyal class.

oh and ill start the graf spee, supercruiser thing, but style it more like a really compact KGV.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, 1MajorKoenig said:

Hey Barney, what program are you using?

Im using 3ds max 2018 for the modelling, although for the supercruiser ill use blender 2.82 instead the rest were made in max however student version.

ill be using gimp, substance painter, quixel mixer and blender for texturing.

1 minute ago, Cptbarney said:

Im using 3ds max 2018 for the modelling, although for the supercruiser ill use blender 2.82 instead the rest were made in max however student version.

How difficult to learn these programes? I have so many fantasy ship (and realistic too) blueprints on paper. 

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Cptbarney said:

Thanks mate. I started using Blender now - Parasitkaffee And you got me trying it 🙂

Keep up the good work 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Marshall99 said:

How difficult to learn these programes? I have so many fantasy ship (and realistic too) blueprints on paper. 

It takes awhile, i've been using 3ds max on and off for about 3 years now (or about 8 months if you count every hour spent in 3ds max not including rendering since that can take awhile to do). Especially animations as well, 3ds max is easier to learn, but most of the tuts are old so its better to use blender (plus blender is free forever as well), you could try maya which has a better range of tuts.

Blender guru, arrimus 3d, born cg, grant abbitt, tutor4u, flipped normals (mind they are all english, i think arrimus is german but speaks english doe). also there are others who are just as good at those programmes and can teach you alot really. Even though i did a course on games design i've learnt most of my knowledge from online and my skills have picked up majorly since the end of my course (june time).

37 minutes ago, 1MajorKoenig said:

Thanks mate. I started using Blender now - Parasitkaffee And you got me trying it 🙂

Keep up the good work 

No problems, im liking blender more now since the major UI changes (used to have an even worse learning curve than it did now), also blender is updated regularly where as max is essentially abandonware (or close to it) due to autodesk having a monopoly and not bothering to add decent features in to their programme.

Also thanks!

I found Blender loads quicker too and has been adding lots of new things such as real time rendering for eevee and also the ability to switch between rendered and regular in the viewport allowing you to make quick changes on the fly (cant do that in max 2018 or later i think).

• Thanks 1

Well i did a bit more work on her, got side tracked by my Halo UNSC Supercruiser which i gave the name of vanguard but wont post here since it doesn't fit the theme of this game nor thread.

anyways here is a still very w.i.p picture of her.

z0aIE5F.jpg

• Like 4

Well, i did some moar work on the new dreadnought. Name and nation still being thought about, might go for a south american or european country (somewhere less well known).

Shes about 15,500 tonnes and around 170m's atm.

3uBL7rq.jpg

YWmx1zl.jpg

Enjoy!

• Like 4

Another day and another update! Dis time, i changed the turrets, added smoll casemates, extended bits of the bridge and also enlarged the opening, chnaged the secondary turrets, added flag poles and those rope thingies and doors. Plus a new colour scheme as well.

Enjoy!

5Vp3OgO.jpg

WGslZKP.jpg

• Like 5

Updated.

Heres her stats so far. MNS Volitaire of the Volitaire Class battleship.

Class and type: Pre-Dreadnought Battleship

Full Load: 15,500 tonnes.

Length: 172m's.

Beam: 27.5m's.

Draft: 9.2m's/9.85m's.

Propulsion: 2x triple vertical expansion engines, 2 screws.

Speed: 19knots

Complement: 665 (peacetime). 720 (wartime).

Primary armament: 2x2 310mm.

Secondary armament: 4x2 210mm, 2x2 178mm, 10x1 156mm, 13x1 106mm, 14x1 76mm.

Engine Power: 19,000 IHP. 24x Vertical Cross-Tube Triple Water boilers.

Armour: Belt 280mm's, Bulkheads 240-315mm's, Barbettes 295mm's , Turret Main 335mm's, Casemates 178mm's, Turret Secondary (large) 265mm's, Turret Secondary 225mm's, Conningtower 381mm's, Deck mid 85mm's, Deck extended 35mm's.

Edited by Cptbarney
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Cptbarney said:

Another day and another update! Dis time, i changed the turrets, added smoll casemates, extended bits of the bridge and also enlarged the opening, chnaged the secondary turrets, added flag poles and those rope thingies and doors. Plus a new colour scheme as well.

Enjoy!

5Vp3OgO.jpg

WGslZKP.jpg

Beautiful! Looks like a bit French pre-dreadnought. Those side casamates and those secondaries similar to the French ones.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Marshall99 said:

Beautiful! Looks like a bit French pre-dreadnought. Those side casamates and those secondaries similar to the French ones.

Hmm, could make her french. At least the name choices will be pretty easy den. Funnily enough she still isn't finished yet, i also need to do the windows for the loyal class Battleship as well and start uv unwrapping her at some point (or be ultra lazy and just slap on some materials and change the IOR, metalness and specular integers.

Ill update in the above post her name and maybe some moar stats. I always liked the cylindircal casemates have a werid charm to them at least for me.

But yeah thanks! hope your ships are going well too 'w'

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Marshall99 said:

Okey, I need this ship in the game. I love that main battery design. This ship is very Steampunky. 

Its why i want modding in the game, then i can share the models or have them avaliable for download, hopefully they also allow for not complete ship designs but also modular (so turrets, masts, towers, railings, barrels, casemates, bridges, superstructures, funnels etc). Allowing for greater customizability.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Cptbarney said:

Its why i want modding in the game, then i can share the models or have them avaliable for download, hopefully they also allow for not complete ship designs but also modular (so turrets, masts, towers, railings, barrels, casemates, bridges, superstructures, funnels etc). Allowing for greater customizability.

It would be amazing if community could make own Models for the game. Not only because the fun that would come with new unique hulls but it would also make adding hulls by devs unnecessery. Because if community would want some historical ship added for the game. We could just make it on our own instead of asking devs for that. And it would also move the ship design part of the game to the whole new level.

But I wonder how this would work in-game. Especially in campaing. If each hull unlocks in certain year/turn. Who would determine when each of these community-made hulls become available?

Edit - I would just like to add: No matter how much time and effort devs put into new hulls. They will never be able to add all hulls between 1890 and 1940 that existed (or were planned) and are wanted by community. So i think that if devs want to further expand number of hulls in-game it would be better for both sides (devs and players) if devs would just provide tools for hull creation to the community: It would reduce work load for devs (As Barney said), hunger that community have for new hulls would be forever satisfied and most importainly: It would improve this game. Which I think is what we all want the most.

Edited by Aceituna
  • Like 3

3 minutes ago, Aceituna said:

It would be amazing if community could make own Models for the game. Not only because the fun that would come with new unique hulls but it would also make adding hulls by devs unnecessery. Because if community would want some historical ship added for the game. We could just make it on our own instead of asking devs for that. And it would also move the ship design part of the game to the whole new level.

But I wonder how this would work in-game. Especially in campaing. If each hull unlocks in certain year/turn. Who would determine when each of these community-made hulls become available?

Yeah, it would defo release the work load on the devs a bit. And would allow for truely cool, amazing and mental designs lol. Plus helps me develop my 3D modelling skills too.

I guess for now the ship would be added in and then the modder would decide the year of access. Or another system where you choose which category it fits into so for example:

Pre-dreadnought 1870-1880. Pre-dreadnought 1890-1905. Light cruiser 1905-1915. Heavy cruiser 1920-1930. etc.

Those are just some of the examples they could use if they dont want to go down the route of allowing mdoders to define the year the ship/parts would be avaliable for.

• Like 3