Game-Labs Forum

Battle chat / Global chat

You have entire clans ( and had entire clans ) that albeit being pros and winning a lot would be toxic ( and still are ) even in victory.

Is not the mechanics. Is the people.

You have entire clans constantly bullying players non stop in chat, nothing to do with naval action combat or conquest or whatever...

Is not the loss. Is the people.

Edited by Hethwill
  • Like 2

On 6/16/2020 at 10:09 PM, Serk said:

I'm worried about the removal of the global channel.

When I log in around 8 or 9 PM US EST, both my clan and nation (and thus friend list) are inactive. Beside from the occasional ''hello? anyone online?'', national channel can go mute for an hour, if not more.

With 300 people or less online, global channel is often the only sign of life on the server. Removing it will increase the feeling of emptiness and isolation in a MMO game.

Ignore list should be enough to deal with unpleasant posters.

Yes, 60% of my joy in Naval Action comes from Global chat communications lol. I have to sail 1 to 2 boring hours before i manage to find someone i can PvP with nowadays, so global chat is crucial for entertainment to me :D

Edited by Je maintiendrai

18 hours ago, Puchu said:

Dear Hethwill, 

I used to think like you, too. That the players can decide for themselves and it's a honorable point of view. It blames the decider for his decisions. And yes, I would aggree to that in the real world. But this is a game. People behave differently in games. Even in real life and in judging you can never separate the decision from the surrounding situation. People will allways decide based on the ruleset of the world around them. Same goes for games. Even more so, because in games the consequences of selfish actions are way less punished and social behavior is way less rewarded. It's the principles on which the game operates which promotes or demotes certain behavior. You cant blame people for exploiting the game. That's what games are all about. Try to get the maximum benefit out of it. Thats what people do in every game. Games have to put in surroundings that promote positive behavior towards the games goal. If the game wants as many people to fight as possible, it needs to put in mechanics which promote fighting. If the game wants people to sail around experiencing the emptyness, then it needs to put in mechanics which deter people from fighting. Basically Every behavior we see by players is massively influenced by the games design. Yes people can still choose otherwise, they allways can. But if it hurts their progress in the game they will never do it. If there is no reason to do it, they will rarely do it. Just "Being nice" is not what people play games for. Many play games because they can be a filthy pirate instead of the allways friendly guy behind the counter. 

Wishing someone a mortal degenerative disease is not a nice person impersonating a pirate.

Summoning the most sick pederast imaginations is NOT a nice person impersonating a royal navy captain.

Projecting inhuman sexual fantasies onto someone's mother IS NOT a nice person having fun in a game.

Continuous bullying is, at best, high school behaviour which is accepted in high school because a good punch in the face can set the deal.

Everyone loses temper. Everyone resorts to insults. But some are really over the top.

I would just ban them ad infinitum.... but as admin said, their "terrorist" attitude will find another way to compromise the game. If not in chat then in steam or whatever.

As I said... they are NOT nice people.

A nice person will sit and play a game with anyone. A not nice person will flip the table just for giggles.

I've seen a lot, to the point of this "behind the counter they are nice people" bullying a newcomer on his own stream about sexual issues. Seriously...

End of rant...

Devs know better and whatever they do I can live with.

I play games that are based on competitive wars, mostly simulators. And not one of them has this types.

That being said i have very good memories of extraordinary people in NA. For me they surpass the bad, as they leave a lasting memory.

Devs have data we don't. Whatever they decide I trust their judgement.

Edited by Hethwill
  • Like 2

52 minutes ago, Hethwill said:

Devs have data we don't. Whatever they decide I trust their judgement.

Data is subject to interpretation, as you know. :)  

I am just different in that regard. Seeing what NA has become by the devs choice, I have to say that I personally dont trust their judgement at all. But that said: I will still defend to the death your right to state your opinion as opposed to mine it might be. 

Now back to the main question:

It's all about the question of responsibility. Does everyone have responsibility for everything they do just themselves, or does the environment have responsibility aswell. I would like to set the arguement that the environment sets the tone and the personal choice flips it over the top. When people are angry for many reasons, they are more likely to snap. I'm not saying they are irresponsable for that. I'm just saying that the environment has its fair share of guilt aswell. 

People mostly become toxic when they have the feeling of being treated unfairly. This game has countless opportunities to be treated unfairly. It makes it even bad for you in many cases to act fairly, humane and nice. (e.g. if you dont kill someone that fought a great battle, you get basically nothing. No need to educate me about abuses. We can argue about that another time.)

You can try to blame everything on the players, but imo that's too easy of an escape. 

Removing the chat will not make people happier. While experiencing "the  emptyness and vastness of the sea" (I just love this quote from admin :D )

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Puchu said:

You can try to blame everything on the players, but imo that's too easy of an escape. 

A player that rages in a single player game will blame the game and smash the keyboard.

Is the player.

I'm not supporting anything other than a healthy multiplayer game.

Edited by Hethwill

1 hour ago, z4ys said:

grafik.thumb.png.3ce758a33ccfe2826c539908278c3bc3.png

Why almost every battle has to end like this :(

Really looking forward for the removal

So we have you to thank for being a cry baby who can't find the "Ignore" button? We have to further fracture our fragile community by removing mechanisms to chat and share between our members just because your eggshell ego can't take a bit of salt up to the point you just block their chat?

Snowflake.

• Like 5

Just now, Wraith said:

So we have you to thank for being a cry baby who can't find the "Ignore" button? We have to further fracture our fragile community by removing mechanisms to chat and share between our members just because your eggshell ego can't take a bit of salt up to the point you just block their chat?

Snowflake.

you cant ignore in bchat

Edited by z4ys