Game-Labs Forum

What would you be willing to pay for Naval Action MMO?

Community Payment Preferences  

225 members have voted

1. 1. Core payment model

• Free to play
    • Buy once, Play forever
    • Buy per Expansion
    • Buy game + montly subscription to play
    • Montly Subscription only
    • Other (please explain)
  2. 2. Amount I'm willing to pay (€ or $)

• I do not want to pay
    • Buy: $ 10.00 - $ 15.00
    • Buy: $ 16.00 - $ 25.00
    • Buy: $ 36.00 - $ 45.00
    • Buy: $ 46.00 - $ 55.00
    • Buy: $ 56.00 - $ 65.00
    • Buy: $ 66.00 or more
    • Monthly: $ 1.00 - $ 3.00
    • Monthly: $ 4.00 - $ 8.00
    • Monthly: $ 9.00 - $ 15.00
    • Monthly: $ 16.00 - $ 24.00
    • Monthly: $ 25.00 or more
  3. 3. Paid extras ('micro'-transactions)

• No premium content, at all
    • Only cosmetic changes (no effect on gameplay whatsoever, but looks cool)
    • Progression improvements (pay-for-advantage)
    • Performance boost (pay-to-win)
    • Premium ships (pay-to-win, gold plated)
    • Premium ships (balanced, not necessarily better than non-premium ships)

There have been discussions about all kinds of different payment models, including Free-to-Play, Pay-to-Play, Monthly subscription, Pay-once-player-forever, etc, etc.

Also, @admin has said:

"payment model will be similar to Guild Wars 2." (source | blogpost of Guild Wars 2 payment model).

"We are going to sell copies and sell premium content (ships) in the store." (source)

"You will be able to bribe the admiralty" (?) (source)

So, the payment model for the game has already been decided.

Yet, this says nothing about the payment model people in the community would prefer, nor does it say anything about how much you would be willing to pay.

So, here is a poll where you can indicate your preference for a payment model and the amount of money you would be willing to spend.
Also, there is another somewhat related thread on DLC, which you may find intersting: What would you pay money for?

Cheers,
Brigand

P.S.
@admin: if you think this poll is out-of-line, please delete it.

• Like 1

The Developers need to make a profit.

The game looks as though it will be a terrific title with lots of content and well designed so I see no reason why it cannot compete with any other new title.

I absolutely hate pay to win. Anything that enhances a players ability to win a match once it has started is absurd and would completely put me off playing.

I have no issue with greater experience gain or cosmetic enhancements by making real life payment, as once in battle these players have no advantage over another.

I'm worried about the content of the file \Naval Action\Database\Static\player_bonus_rate.xml with normal and premium earnings listed inside it...

First reviews i saw for this game on youtube were speaking about a pay once then now premium content and guild wars economic model ( never played this game so it's hard to judge how it works ) and the content of this file player_bonus_rate.xml suggest that there will be premium earnings too ...

F2P model or premium earnings is for me pure garbage in most games but nowadays everything is good to grab a max of money i guess, not something that please me at all ... Will see how this will goes for this game, i will accept pure cosmetic premium things, but premium earnings or premium ships different in some aspects other than esthetically from regular ones or having premium earnings will probably push me off this game...

We will see how all this will be done ...

Show me a finished game, I'll tell you how much I am willing to pay.

Show me a payment model implementation and I'll tell you if I'm ok with it.

Show me the expansion content and I'll tell you if I would buy it or expect it free.

Then disregard all my statements, for it's not my livelihood that I'm supporting with the decisions made.

Et cetera, et cetera.

Question to the OP - I just got that new book by some new author, and it's somewhat of some size, would you pay as much as I paid for it, and do you like the characters in it? :)

• Like 1

Question to the OP - I just got that new book by some new author, and it's somewhat of some size, would you pay as much as I paid for it, and do you like the characters in it? :)

If you don't feel like participating in a discussion, feel free to ignore it.

~Brigand

• Like 1

There are other ways to make an income, perhaps charge musicians/bands to have their music installed in game and players could select what music to listen to in the background.  The artists could be posted for a month at a time so there will always be new artists to listen to.  This could be one of several ways to make money without putting the burden solely on the subscriber.

Just a thought

If you don't feel like participating in a discussion, feel free to ignore it.

~Brigand

I did participate in the discussion. I did find the pool lacking detail and very vague, and I have said so. There is no way of knowing what the finished game would be worth for us, but there are plenty of other details we can wonder about.

Of course if you don't like to think about all that, feel free to ask me to leave your topic, because you don't welcome critique. I'll ignore it,

I really hope this not going to be an F2P mmo, when I bought it I was told it was a once off purchase = game is yours for life without limits, and I am really rather sick of all the F2P games out there, I miss when you could just pay for a game and enjoy it, rather than these games that you essentially rent, and that end up costing an order of magnitude more than a normal purchasable game.

To be clear I don't mind if there are little micro-transactions to support the devs for their amazing work on the game, but they should not be invasive. You should pay them to support the devs, not because you desperately want what they offer.

I think $40 was a bargain and will happily pay more for cosmetic things, if for no other reason, to help support the game and ensure it's longevity as I plan to play this thing for quite a while.

I don't want premium content to give a performance advantage, however. I'm even against the 'xp boosts' to help people advance faster.

• Like 1

I've paid $40 already, and part of the "package" that $40 got me was a promise for the full retail game...So, I expect to need to pay $00.00 just to play. I do, however, expect to ultimately end up paying more for other things, like Team Fortress 2's "hats". Premium stuff that should have no effect on the gameplay whatsoever, but I can still pay for it.

As for the idea of premium ships, let them. Solong as the ship is no better or no worse than a similar non-premium ship.

• Like 3

well all who have bought the game have the copy, and fine... i have no problem paying monthly subs, for a game i think is woth it... they should just make the packs, with the game + 30 days playtime on release, them peps can decide if the game is worth it or not...   all depends what the dev do with the game and content..  a monthly sub is fine, if the game is not a ingame store based, with P2W ships/items.    if they make ingame store for items,ships that are premium, like in WOT and War thunder, i dont wanna pay a thing for playing. 

I would gladly accept a monthly fee if that's what the devs need to keep workign on this game. I really am not worried about it. People who like this gameplay style and what this guys are doing (Which is the polar opposite of the F2P developers who are out to force you to pay wether you want it or not) usually don't care about monthly fees.

Whatever the payment method, however, I hope that microtransactions are restricted to aesthetic stuff and premium ships that you don't get right away in the open sea, but you must purchase with in-game money instead. If you don't pay for the prem ship you don't get the option to purchase it. You pay for unlocking the ship and having it for TDM gamemode, but for open sea you MUST get it in-game with your own effort, just like any other ship.

In other words: you should get no advantage out of paying, at all. Whatever you sail in the open sea you must earn in the open sea. No shortcuts by opening your wallet at all.

That's my only expectation about the pricing. Other than that...I don't care too much, for this game I'm ready to pay for even in monthly subscription model. Well worth every cent.

• Like 2

Not willing to pay a monthly fee here, but willing to support further content deliveries by paying for expansions and cosmetic options (think figureheads...) and perhaps minor mods like a few studding sails or moonrakers.  These shouldn't give any real advantage against experienced opponents.  In the end we're likely to all buy them anyways, right?