Game-Labs Forum

It's called the Brig because it's doing hard time....

Just needs bigger guns :D

Becomes a War Brig or a Sloop of War or something similar, not the Brig we have.

And Carronades are quite big :) and damn effective with "cheat" double shot on them. ( gameplay vs historical credibility cheat sheet )

I got the brig recently and I enjoy it. The thing is a tank so long as you aren't exposing below the water line. Not to mention it's stable enough for me to take long range shots with much greater accuracy. It feels like the perfect transition from triangle sails to square rigs. Unless facing a yacht. In that case, may God have mercy on your soul.

Becomes a War Brig or a Sloop of War or something similar, not the Brig we have.

And Carronades are quite big :) and damn effective with "cheat" double shot on them. ( gameplay vs historical credibility cheat sheet )

Carronades are quite big on them sure, but they could in history iirc given generic brig and in my view should get "bigger guns, better guns" to quote a BSG crazyman :lol:

Hmmm, I think the devs have plans for a War Brig already, IIRC from another thread.

Not lectured enough in naval but my guess is you simply cannot mount whatever fits on a deck in the age of sail.

Same happens in the game I guess.

Hmmm, I think the devs have plans for a War Brig already, IIRC from another thread.

Not lectured enough in naval but my guess is you simply cannot mount whatever fits on a deck in the age of sail.

Same happens in the game I guess.

Correct. A small merchant brig is just not built to take larger/heavier guns. Now a purpose built warship is another matter, but even then the brig would be limited by its' size and tonnage. One example which should be in the game at some point is the British Cruizer class brig-sloop:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cruizer-class_brig-sloop

16x 32 lb carronades. plus 2 x 6 lb long as chasers.  Of course there is the Niagara for the US - 20 x 32 lb carronades.

It's a spectacular little ship. Making a ship review of it, prolly will be up for tomorrow. Includes a general view on the ship's qualities, weapon options and my favorite weapon set for it, a polars diagram, and gameplay in normal PVP going up against constitutions and trincomalees.

If after watching that review people still don't like the ship, I guess it'll be a matter of tastes. For me that thing rocks, and I see it as the perfect entry-level ticket into the world of the square riggers :).

• Like 3

I was in the same boat.. Er... Brig, at first. Only NOW you start to understand advantages of weather gage.

Armament is a problem. It barely outguns a cutter and against a snow stands no chance. So its purpose is vague, I end up killing already damaged ships, kind of kill stealing.

I was in the same boat.. Er... Brig, at first. Only NOW you start to understand advantages of weather gage.

Armament is a problem. It barely outguns a cutter and against a snow stands no chance. So its purpose is vague, I end up killing already damaged ships, kind of kill stealing.

Don't dismiss the amount of crew for a boarding. :)

Also double shot will severely impair the snow.

Graduated out of the Brig tonight...thank the lord. As bad as the Brig is the Snow is amazing, I think the only kinda, sorta issue then is the 30k damage to get out of it. After reviewing my battles it appears the Brig did little appreciable extra damage for me per battle vs the Cutter (about 150 more damage per game than the Cutter).

The Snow is amazing to play and I love the game again, it feels a bit like a Brig that's had its head pulled out of its butt. Much better firepower, about the same manuverability if not better (though that could just be me not hating it) more durable, and better looking. Was the Brig horrid....yes but just get through it the Snow is definitely a kiss and make up ship.

Graduated to Snow and yes, its a major difference. Playing PvP light feels like Seal Clubbing.

Had a match 3 v 4: my snow, cutter and lynx vs 2 Brigs Cutter and Lynx

My teammates managed to run in the middle of enemies and die instantly. I ended up sinking all 4 ships, had 2 repairs left (yes i fought them 1 by 1)

Massive broadside (or my favorite endless rolling fire) and very tough hull. It feels twice as durable as the brig while being a bit smaller?

Graduated to Snow and yes, its a major difference. Playing PvP light feels like Seal Clubbing.

Had a match 3 v 4: my snow, cutter and lynx vs 2 Brigs Cutter and Lynx

My teammates managed to run in the middle of enemies and die instantly. I ended up sinking all 4 ships, had 2 repairs left (yes i fought them 1 by 1)

Massive broadside (or my favorite endless rolling fire) and very tough hull. It feels twice as durable as the brig while being a bit smaller?

one is a merchant build brig one is a military build 6th rate warship what did you expect? gaijins: speudo ballance, 'Historical accuracy :)))' or 'working as intended'?

new ships to fill the gape will be added in the next couple weeks

• 1 year later...