Game-Labs Forum

>>>"Alpha-2 v.63" General Feedback<<< [LATEST UPDATE: 26/10/2019]

Nick Thomadis

1 hour ago, SwaggyB said:

Why would a larger gun be "inherently" more accurate, i don't know how you could possibly evidence this? During this time period the accuracy of guns was dependent on rangefinding, fire control and the abilities of the crews of the ship. These guns were not fired in a vacuum.

Larger projectiles are less effected by shell quality issues, barrel linings, wind, etc.

Larger projectiles are less affected by drag (cubed weight gain, but not cubed drag gain).

You get more leeway with bigger guns, which makes them more accurate in general.

Admirals, a hotfix has become available. You can check it out.

UPDATE 26-10-2019
-===============-
Ultimate Admiral: Dreadnoughts Alpha-2 v.63 

• Hotfix: Game Speed limits are much softer now. 3x is the minimum auto-adjusted game speed. 10x game speed became available when fleets are very far away and not in contact. This system protects you from some known bugs related to game speed, that can cause also crashes. Please be patient and in next updates we will improve as per your suggestions.

• Like 17

About the acceleration thing, I understand the idea, and maybe you could implement it like in RTW, when something happens: (new ship, spotted, torpedoes in the water, things like that, the time should be slowed. But then the player should be ablo to overrun this and set manually the speed. 

About torpedo spotting, I would understand it if we were in a captain's position but we are admirals. So i propose that either a (discreet) warning pops up for torpedoes in order for you to react when the scale of the fight does not allow you to have eyes everywhere, or you can set your ships to overrun your own orders in order to avoid torpedoes as any sane captain would do.

Stability is much better and overall this patch is an improvement. (the speed thing is annoying).

1 hour ago, ThatZenoGuy said:

Larger projectiles are less effected by shell quality issues, barrel linings, wind, etc.

Larger projectiles are less affected by drag (cubed weight gain, but not cubed drag gain).

You get more leeway with bigger guns, which makes them more accurate in general.

The point i am trying to make is that whether or not a shell hits is determined by the actual aiming of the guns and corrections made by the crew, assisted by whatever technologies are available. If the guns are aimed poorly, it does not matter what size the gun is. 

This game uses the logic that no matter the situation, a larger gun is always more likely to hit. This, to me, is illogical and i fail to see how you could come to this conclusion considering that there are so many variables affecting gun accuracy in warships at the time. 

I believe a more sensible solution would be to use a similar system to rule the waves whereby accuracy is determined by: rangefinders/directors, technology increases, training, crew level and the quality of of the gun. 

• Like 3

Excellent job guys!!!  Very nice!  Considering this is an Alpha, you guys are simply amazing! Great work and great job working with our feedback.  I appreciate it very much.

I have finished the three new missions, and they were tons of fun.  The whole game "feels" better.  I found my secondaries functioning much better.

Well hell, everything is better!!  I don't mind the slowdown, I mostly play at 1x, but I understand why some don't like it.

However, I can no longer see my "Reports" in the reports section of my UI.  I can see that it is off the screen, to the left and I just see the last few letters of some of the reports.

Thank you again.  I will give more feedback as I play more.

CajunNavy

Please, make an option to FORBID your ships to automatically change targets, at least for main guns. Cause sometimes this becomes a pain in the ass, really. 
For example, when after long distant engage, my ship finally manages to lay a devastating hit on enemy battlecruiser, and it becomes a matter of 1-2 more salvo to finish it... Buuut then it starts to retreat, and my ship IMMEDIATELY changes its target to another enemy, losing all aim boost it acquired before. And even if I see it in time and manually change target to a crippled BC, is still starts ladder aiming with one tower, instead of continuing to use previous firing solution. And given the time of reloading big guns - ship, which could be destroyed in one minute if mine did not decide change its target, survives for 5-10 more, often resulting in buying enemy enough time to cripple me.

So, to cut short, please just make an additional behaviour switch for targeting, just like with "passive/aggressive fire". Let the player, as the Admiral, decide whether he relies on his captains' choice to pick targets, or wants to always stay in control of fleet's artillery  

Edited by WiselessOwl
  • Like 5

I like this patch. The hotfix is much apprechiated. I'm going through the older missions and the changes to armour and penetration make it a lot more enjoyable since positioning matters a lot more.

The one thing I noticed is that the new mission is rather easy. You don't need the destoryers in "Number's don't matter", you don't even need secondaries, just strap a pair of 18x3 on a ship, pick the best rangefinder and radar and you can build a fleet which actually outguns the monster battleship. I got four battleships which tore through it with AP without a loss.

1 minute ago, Hellstrike said:

I like this patch. The hotfix is much apprechiated. I'm going through the older missions and the changes to armour and penetration make it a lot more enjoyable since positioning matters a lot more.

The one thing I noticed is that the new mission is rather easy. You don't need the destoryers in "Number's don't matter", you don't even need secondaries, just strap a pair of 18x3 on a ship, pick the best rangefinder and radar and you can build a fleet which actually outguns the monster battleship. I got four battleships which tore through it with AP without a loss.

Yeah, when you go for tech option it''s easy. It's nearly impossible when you go money option lol.

I did it the money path and it felt like I was playing an aimbot with reload cheats. As I was frighting a 10 gun 17” mark 5 monster with up to 15.5” of armor.

I won with just 5% hp left and on my two crippled BBs out of the four I started with (Ran 4x3 15” ships as without tech boost the 15” is better)

Would recommend rebalancing the tech boost side of this mission, though I’m not sure how, though I would limit the player to 16” guns regardless of path as to make it a challenge.

51 minutes ago, WiselessOwl said:

Also, all the music in main menu and designer disappeared after saturday's hotfix... Was this intended, or bug? Or maybe just my download screwed up?😕

It’s intended to solve a “bug” with the YouTube algorithm for you tubers who are playing it.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, SwaggyB said:

The point i am trying to make is that whether or not a shell hits is determined by the actual aiming of the guns and corrections made by the crew, assisted by whatever technologies are available. If the guns are aimed poorly, it does not matter what size the gun is. 

This game uses the logic that no matter the situation, a larger gun is always more likely to hit. This, to me, is illogical and i fail to see how you could come to this conclusion considering that there are so many variables affecting gun accuracy in warships at the time. 

I believe a more sensible solution would be to use a similar system to rule the waves whereby accuracy is determined by: rangefinders/directors, technology increases, training, crew level and the quality of of the gun. 

I agree with you.

I was simply arguing that larger guns are inherently more accurate, with all other factors being equal.

Larger guns however fire slower and are less rapidly laid on target, so smaller guns should attain maximum accuracy much, much faster.

Against fast targets which are close to the ship, a large gun should have trouble tracking said target too.

But at long ranges, of course it'll hit better.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, SwaggyB said:

I pretty much made this point in the combat feedback topic.

A big divider is the arrival of effective centralised fire control. Until then, however, local control was the order of the day. While rangefinders within main turrets were a thing, the fact is that RoF also of course gave more chances to hit AND more information for making corrections.

I made a few suggestions to consider when it comes to addressing some of the more peculiar results of the current system where you're better off having a bunch of main calibre guns to swat TBs than a bunch of casemate guns, even though the latter were sometimes referred to as anti-torpedo boat guns (which one would think is a clue, lol).

They do have to consider all the different balance implications, but main guns IMO are simply still significantly more reliable for everything. The patch even increased their RoF and lowered that of secondary/casemate guns. I'm not sure as to why, but it's not apparent to me how that was an improvement. I am, however, new around here, so very much welcome getting given extra info/explanations.

Cheers

• Like 2

There is an issue with torpedoes, i've had ships launch torpedoes but nothing came out. This might be the case with multi launcher torps as sometimes if you have a x4 launcher only 2 torpedoes come out. (Especially frustrating with single torpedo boats that launch but no torps come out.)