Game-Labs Forum

>>>"Alpha-2 v.63" General Feedback<<< [LATEST UPDATE: 26/10/2019]

Nick Thomadis

I'm still having difficulty in the combat and ever since I got the update, there was a problem with the ship model. At a distance, the quality of the turrets looks like a blocky 3D model and during a battle the funnels disappear in a distance.

I never had this problem in the 1st alpha version of the game

Loved new AP mechanics and explosions. Was able to detonate battlecruiser's ammo storage in the "defend convoy" mission. She went down like "Invincible", lol 😁. Also performance was really boosted which is cool.

But secondaries are still severely inaccurate, which is really annoying. They must hit target 50% more often, at least at close range.

Also, I've encountered a really weird case, when my main gun missed being LITERALLY pointed at the enemy's hull. My and enemy ships colided, and then my aft turret fired straight at him. There was NO room to miss, in fact in reality it would blow both him and me with an explosion that close.... But both shells somehow went in different directions under weird angles and didn't even touch him..
I'm mostly okay with RNG as long as it delivers an adequate experience, but that particular case was just really weird. It's like that meme from X-COM, when a shotgun pointed directly at alien still has a significant chance to miss, you know.

So, maybe there should be additional accuracy boost, just like with cruise speed, which is applied at really close range to ensure that the guns which at this point can't miss even if fired without literally any aim - would REALLY NOT MISS.

• Like 1

Big step backwards.

AI is a mess.

Torps should fire when set to do so.

Main and secondary guns should not miss %80-%90 of the time when player and target ships are at a standstill at only 0.2 km away. I don’t care how old the tech is it should not be that bad.

Game speed is reduced automatically to a rational minimum level according to distance from enemy.” <--- Get rid of it please.

Game was fun before and now it's frustrating.

• Like 2

restrictions on the time acceleration BAD BAD BAD BAD BAD, please revert immediately.

if the concern was that noobies players will accelerate time too aggresively and then lose all their ships by accident due to poor control, i really say just let them do it, it's a mistake they'll only make once, and they'll remember. they'll notice immediately they need to be careful with time acceleration and they'll be fine from now on, i don't think there's really need to worry so much about it.

if you still REALLY want to put in some time acceleration help, then might i suggest insted simply putting a feature which puts time acceleration to X1 when a torpedo is spotted close to one of your ships, or when one of your ships receive a critical hit, but then you can still put it back on X5 anytime you want, if you click on the button. i really don't think even that is nessesary, but if your really want it, at least make something like that that's not a total restriction.

if this was put in temporarily to prevent game crash and help with performence, then fine, we can live with it for now, but please revert as soon as possible.

other than that, very good update, performence improvement immediately noticeable and significant, love the AP and armor changes, already feels in a much better place, but i still need to test it a bit more for now.

• Like 7

2 hours ago, JamanGrr said:

I have tried the new patch, and although I have not crashed in the current mission (which is great and appreciated) I CAN'T SPEED UP THE TIME? Was that done as a work around to increase alpha stability? Because if intentional for game play I feel it was a major mistake. It's definitely NOT ENJOYABLE to watch 2 crippled ships missing each other in real time for 33 minutes!! I am wasting my time. 

I love creating new designs and pitting them against other ship designs. I also really enjoy watching exciting parts of the battle and zooming in to see various occurrences. But once It's decided or becomes a monotonous game of tracer pong as ships miss each other for long stretches at a time I like to fast forward to the "meat" of the match whether it be the sinking of the last ship or my loss. Please don't force us to drag out the doldrums.

Currently I'm alt tabbed letting the bots fight it out and tying up my computer entertainment time for ..NOT having fun. Forcing 1x speed has literally killed the game's entertainment value for me.

If slowing down the game to 1x speed is fun, then might i suggest 64 times more fun for your players by forcing them at 1/64th speed?

-JG

signed

That was a pretty bad idea and hurts much.

• Like 3

Mandatory speed lock definitely has to go, the game is already slower paced than RTW and even RTW got flak for limiting speed in several scenarios. The max speed should always be what is safe without crashing the game, and if doing more than 5x risk stability, then at least allow player to freely go to 5x for now(which don't seem to be problematic in the prior patch).

Auto-slow down ship get close maybe decent to have as a toggle option, but it certainly should not be a lock. Being forced to sit there waiting basically a minute before a volley with little to do in the main time is dreadful. Not sure why anyone though making speed non-optional is a good idea. 

• Like 5

9 hours ago, Nick Thomadis said:

• Game speed is reduced automatically to a rational minimum level according to distance from enemy.

THIS IS MAKING THIS GAME UNPLAYABLE FOR ME.

Please make it toggle-able, I find it extraordinarily hard to focus on the game at less that x2 speed, to the point I get bored during DD vs TB duels at close range and log off. Additionally, I find the unanticipated speed change to be jarring. 

Edited by MasterFALE
Non-quoted text inside quote box.
  • Like 2

First... Patch on Monday so we can complain and get response.

Second... Remove time acceleration limiter, and return the 10x and 30x multipliers.

Third Secondaries are still useless Even 8” ones.

Fourth Rebalance the gun firing rates, gun quality should be separate from loading mechanism. 

Give all main guns a 0.30-1.5 minute reload with no advanced loaders and 0.15-30 second load speeds with auto loaders.

Also still waiting on the freeing up of super structure and barbette components.

• Like 3

The forced speed reduction kind of makes the game unplayable. I have had many combats time out due which right now would take over a hour. The slow down would not be that bad if it was only for extreme speeds. Like x50 at the start slowing down as you close in. I would have complained the game was way too slow before now its been made worse. I was tabbing out and doing something else because x5 speed was too slow even at closer ranges. In some missions I even turned the AI on and did something else because it just took too long on X5 to do manually.

When I was playing a torpedo boat mission I was getting within yelling distance of the enemy before torpedoing. X5 felt like a fine speed at this very close range but X1 would have slowed it down to a crawl. I would have even speed it up above x5 as 30-40 seconds for a reload was slow.

The game needs to be speed up significantly more then X5 like x6-8 speed. Higher amounts like x50 but as you close in it slows down. Players can self regulate their speed up you don't need to force us to slow down. Right now I cannot play the game anyone and would suggest nobody does because of this one change. Even if the change was reverted I feel like it would put many people off without a much bigger speed up. By this I mean with just the X5 speed up it would reduce the audience because its just slow.

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, Absolute0CA said:

Second... Remove time acceleration limiter, and return the 10x and 30x multipliers.

Fourth Rebalance the gun firing rates, gun quality should be separate from loading mechanism. 

Give all main guns a 0.30-1.5 minute reload with no advanced loaders and 0.15-30 second load speeds with auto loaders.

Also still waiting on the freeing up of super structure and barbette components.

Not just the 8". Anything that is not top 3 calibers of the scenario is bad.

Did someone said it would get patched on monday?

I know others have raised it, but i just wanted to add my 2 cents. I do not understand why higher calibre guns get an accuracy bonus. The size of the gun should not affect accuracy, this does not make any sense to me. Accuracy should be affected by things such as: rangefinders/fire control directors, shell quality and crew skill (if this is to be included in the campaign) and not just by the calibre of the gun. 

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, SwaggyB said:

I know others have raised it, but i just wanted to add my 2 cents. I do not understand why higher calibre guns get an accuracy bonus. The size of the gun should not affect accuracy, this does not make any sense to me. Accuracy should be affected by things such as: rangefinders/fire control directors, shell quality and crew skill (if this is to be included in the campaign) and not just by the calibre of the gun. 

Larger guns are inherently more accurate, assuming all tech is equal and quality of work.

The problem is that they are more accurate at longer ranges, at close range almost any gun can hit well.

Ingame 'usual' combat ranges against destroyers is within 5km, where 4-5 inch guns would hit with trivial ease, yet alone 6-8 inch guns. And of course battleship main guns would almost certainly hit at such ranges.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Absolute0CA said:

Wait x10 and x30 was a thing?

Ye secondaries are still fat bad and smoll.

Hmm, i think the call of qualities and marks should play a bigger role in ROT, accuracy etc. should make it a bit more realistic.

Could you talk more about the last part pls?

I aggree that the time acceleration restriction should go.

Also TB still seem be too tanky taking hits after hits, ammo detonation after ammo detonation, till they sink.

All the while BB sometimes get put out due "extensive fire" from 2 cruisers in 2-3 salvos.

Speaking of ammo detonation: I hope that a ammo detonation will actually destroy ammo in the future.

Thou AP and hence armor does seem to have a whole new level to it.

22 minutes ago, ThatZenoGuy said:

Larger guns are inherently more accurate, assuming all tech is equal and quality of work.

The problem is that they are more accurate at longer ranges, at close range almost any gun can hit well.

Ingame 'usual' combat ranges against destroyers is within 5km, where 4-5 inch guns would hit with trivial ease, yet alone 6-8 inch guns. And of course battleship main guns would almost certainly hit at such ranges.

Why would a larger gun be "inherently" more accurate, i don't know how you could possibly evidence this? During this time period the accuracy of guns was dependent on rangefinding, fire control and the abilities of the crews of the ship. These guns were not fired in a vacuum.

I dont understand all the frustration about the new added smart time multiplier. Personally I used the 5x to close in (still possible) and during the engagement 1x or 2x (still possible as well).

Playing at 5x or even more during the battles just feels wrong. And I really hope that with added difficult lvl (for the campaign) that hardcore mode includes no pause function (except when opening the menu). Nonetheless should an "Auto solve" option for the campaign be added.

In my opinion its a game about fighting (especially the Naval Academy) What is the purpose of rushing through the missions and even demand a 50x multiplier? What will be left?

I do understand that the missions with low targeting tec are ultra annoying but asking for a multiplier is the wrong approach in my opinion.

Edited by z4ys

Something bizarre happenned to me during the destroy a full fleet mission. I had more penetrations firing HE.

I however liked the fact that 15" were more effective for that mission, changing the meta from "bigger is always better" to "let me think twice".

Here my feedback on patch this patch

General

• Gameplay feels more comfortable now, especially at normal speed main battery pace feels better now, altough i find a slight buff of addition5-10% might do well
  • Accelerate time restriction should be removed, player should have the choice to accel at the danger of missing important things
  • secondary still not viable, small guns on DDs/TDs/cruiser still feel not worth it, makes missions where you have to deal with many own small ships against many enemy small ships a frustrating demotivating experience...worst so far DD vs TD

Missions

• tech chances to some missions very welcome, especially Destroy a fleet, that one is real fun now

Ship designer

• still issues with some BB/BC hulls being very fore heavy even with well distrubete turret/barbettes
  • still issues with interfere between turrets and towers
  • takes a lot longer to load now for some reason, even leading to a crash once yet

Combat

• penetration increase very welcome, battles changed significantly, now i have to make a choice up to which caliber and distance my armor should be able to hold no longer the need to close to coin throwing distance to get penetrations
  • feels like mid range main battery of 14-16" inch got a lot more viable now
  • small guns/secondaries see General
  • still the feeling that accuracy shown is not what the game uses, although i beat all missions i tried so far with solid builds, it nevertheless feels frustration when my ships get peppered all along while missing almost guranteed hits, as i played alot i cannot attribute this to RNG alone, for my maneuvering feel free to look at my gameplay video on YT, i assume i got a decent idea of how to sail well and keep own accuracy up

Thats it so far. Can't wait to play campaign. Great game.

5 minutes ago, Agathos said:
  • Accelerate time restriction should be removed, player should have the choice to accel at the danger of missing important things

This, very frustrateing when you end up in a slugging match thats turned to death by a thousand cuts. I am also still getting the feeling that lots of heavy guns still dominate. I have been doing the semi dreadnought mission and I can disable and "almost" kill it most times, however its large guns just do way more damage to me in return.

• Like 1