Game-Labs Forum

Last post i'll ever make (or read) about Patrol zones/DLC

Dear devs and players,

With decreasing playerbase and pvp activity (i.e number of pvp battles recorded per day) Patrol zones were added to compensate for that.

And it worked. (i.e more pvp battles recorded per day), but only for awhile as it became more of a "gank" zone where people just went to loose their ships,

Pvp activity again decreasing when players don't have ships to go patrol zone. 

DLC ships. Great idea. Now players have a place go to pvp and free ships to pvp in. And you know what, it's working. 

As @Captain Reversesays himself he can only see benefits from DLC. And some might agree, because people do pvp more and pvp battles per day increase.

Before we done with DLC we will probably have 10 different free and competitive ships daily,

Resulting in 90% (?) of the enemy ships are dlc ships, which not only makes it boring to battle same ships all the time, but you can't even capture them.

And the problem from the beginning was playerbase. Not the need of patrol zones, not the need of free ships. The problem was, playerbase.

Instead of fixing the problem with the playerbase you focus too much on increasing number of pvp battles / day, and you did increase it, but the way you did

was more of a temporary quick fix.

(Patrol zones and DLC is like using first aid kit while waiting for the ambulance to arrive).

Problem is they're aint no ambulance coming. The quick fix is here to stay and it will also prevent you from dealing with the real issue. The playerbase.

Because with a steady playerbase free ships would not been needed, patrol zones would not been needed. Pvp activity would be there because the players are there.

You devs made a fantastic game but you also did a wreckless move with introduction of patrol zone/dlc, it would have been fine if it was temporary, just to keep pvp activity "floating" while finishing the game. 

With this said, and even though the game did not turn out the way I was hoping for, I will still play it because it's the greatest pvp sailing game out there. And i hope that developers manage to do whatever they need to do to put this game in the spotlight and keep it there.

This is the last post I will ever make, (or read) about DLC ships, might actually abandon my forum activity entirely (hurra!), gives me more time in the game..:)

Fair winds

• Like 5

The "fixes" they made were actually good in my opinion, because they did achieve what they wanted (and what we wanted), more pvp activity. And when playerbase reach high lvl's patrol zones could always be removed, but the 24 hrs dlc's cannot, that's the part that worries me.

I might be wrong though, once the game released maybe playerbase will get to a decent amount again and people will start crafting ships and we will not only see dlc ships around. That's what I am hoping for, that in the end dlc's are mostly used as a "backup" plan when out of ships or when want some quick pvp action.

Edited by Costa de Castilla

1 hour ago, Costa de Castilla said:

more pvp activity

I suppose the zones boosted pvp occurrences but DLC ships aren't sold to fix pvp. Imported ships are directed at players who play the game differently from you.

Why do you have a wish to see less DLC ships? Why does it matter so much to you if you can't keep DLC ships you cap?

Most importantly, though, DLC ships has been in the long term plans to secure means to keep the servers running. We see a few players thump their chest and state that they've bought the game and are opposed to content being placed behind a paywall. Would you rather not have any DLC ships and so not have any new ships at all? The artists need to eat and selling some of the new ships as DLC has financed many of the normal ships in addition to the DLC ships.

2 hours ago, Costa de Castilla said:

This is the last post I will ever make, (or read) about DLC ships

I understand the words, but what does this mean?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jodgi said:

I suppose the zones boosted pvp occurrences but DLC ships aren't sold to fix pvp.

Partially to fix pvp, and also financial purpose. What other reason would there be?

1 hour ago, jodgi said:

Imported ships are directed at players who play the game differently from you.

And what type of game-play are imported ships directed to?. I'm confused.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jodgi said:

Why do you have a wish to see less DLC ships? Why does it matter so much to you if you can't keep DLC ships you cap?

Because I like variation, as much as I like the option to capture the enemy ship that I defeat.

1 hour ago, jodgi said:

I understand the words, but what does this mean?

It means that after I've said what I have to say about this, in this thread I will not be reading or replying to anymore discussion about neither patrol zones dlc, I'm done with it and just wanted to give my thought on it before I don't speak of it again.

15 minutes ago, jodgi said:

People who don't get as much joy out of crafting as you do.

I been playing for 2 years, I can count how many ships I crafted on 1 hand.

So your assumtion that I am a ship crafter is wrong. I capture ships, I buy ships and as most players I also use dlc ships.

Now, there are very few ships to buy (probably has more to do with upcoming wipe then anything else though), very few ships to capture (because most ships used are dlc).

I wouldn't trust anyone who doesn't see the negatives of paid ships. That shows extreme bias and/or cognitive dissonance, because generally, more often than not the same people will tell you exactly what's wrong with it.

3 hours ago, jodgi said:

People who don't get as much joy out of crafting as you do.

At what point of the development did they take away your ability to buy ships from others and cap ships for free? Just curious. You make it sound like you, personally are being forced to craft ships, like you've forgotten there's a whole economy for buying and selling ships on market.

• Like 4

7 hours ago, Sveteran said:

20 min timer is made so people can find battles, but there would be so much more battles around with 2 or 3 min timer if tit wss 2k players indtead of 4-500

20 min timer is best change I saw since a long time. It's the only reason I dind't leave the game yet, after being somewhat put off by a new damage model.

It's still rought around the edges (eg. a fight between a herc and Trinco can still allow for Santi to reinforce a Herc), however once it's polished, it can work very well and give more interesting battles.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Slim McSauce said:

like you've forgotten there's a whole economy for buying and selling ships on market.

I actually craft ships. I always pick the path of least net resistance. I could never keep up cash grinding to pay for the ships the crafters sell. While setting up production is a one time ordeal that makes it trivial and super cheap to make ships (I've resigned to be ok with not having the best ships like I used to do).

If I wasn't so full of alts I would've had to go with DLCs exclusively.

Hehe. You telling me that there is a ship economy I can avail myself of makes me think of what Marie Antoinette #supposedly# said when she heard the people didn't have enough bread... "But, can't they eat cake?"

• Like 2

@jodgi the more you speak on your position the clearer it becomes to me that you really don't belong in an MMO setting. You just want everything handed to you. You ironically are the p2w consumer, the MMO philistine, NA:L was your containment zone. Damn, that sucks but it makes a lot of sense. You are just that who's too casual for NA, yet somehow we have to conform to you, even though the majority of people are against p2w and removal of player economies. That's why reviews are in the toilet. I hope it's worth changing NA for a customer who doesn't even really care about what NA is, and would rather NA be something entirely different anyway. I swear I've heard this sentiment before. You're like the invading species, home in Arena MMO NA:L, enemy to Open World MMO NA. Trying to turn NA into NA:L. Not cool jodji, you can't do that brother. If you want Legends, ask for it specifically. Ruining one game because it's not another is not the way to go.

• Like 1

The removal of the permit wall is a relief (thanks @Anolytic). If Devs now follow his advice on removal of fine woods wall too then we might have a playable game. DLC is here to stay so there's no point in discussing removal, provided they are not OP we will have to live with them.  PZ's I v rarely go to but have no problem with them existing. The only problem occurs when PZ rewards require you to go.

As well as the very obvious P2W problem with DLC's (free ships/fine woods/no grind/economy effect) there is also the fact that owning DLC allows you to farm more CMs which in turn allows purchase of more/better upgrades, which compounds the P2W problem even further.  A good idea might be for NO CM Rewards for PvPing in DLC ships. But I won't be holding my breath for that one either.

1 hour ago, Slim McSauce said:

really don't belong in an MMO setting

Exactly right. The utter failure of NAL should have been a wake up call to indicate people wanted to play an mmo. Instead NAL has been gradually injected into the OW game.

9 minutes ago, Hullabaloo said:

Instead NAL has been gradually injected into the OW game.

One could also argue that OW was injected into sea trials. And what an absolute success this MMO experiment has been so far, right?

• Like 2

@jodgi the more you speak on your position the clearer it becomes to me that you really don't belong in an MMO setting

Yes, I agree.

You just want everything handed to you.

Yes, well... As far as the grind is accessible PvP I'm able to grind like the worst. You're right, but it's a little too pointed for me to submit to it completely.

the MMO philistine, NA:L was your containment zone.

Hehehe, yes. Maybe we both get lucky and they open duel rooms and similar to put us back into confinement?

You are just that who's too casual for NA

Sure, but that word describes it rather poorly, don't you think?

yet somehow we have to conform to you

If I have done anything at all to put you in your current difficult situation then it is encouraging the premium ships back in 2015 when I read a forum post about it. I didn't mean any harm as I thought all you guys would continue to eco around whatever I and those like me did. Except for a short while after austerity patch where I sold guns in CS to get by, Rakers and I have been completely insulated from the general economy. If I use premium ships makes no difference for the rest of you; I wouldn't have been a part of it anyway.

As far as I've been able to observe that goes for most clans; Most operations are conducted in-house, so it isn't just me who is showing such eco-subversive tendencies. Would it be precise to blame me?

majority

lol, yes, the good old "majority". If the majority of remaining players are DLC ship customers, what would that mean?

I may be this and that, but I'm not a hypocrite. 

I hope it's worth changing NA for a customer

You wouldn't be doing that speech if it was just "a customer". 

who doesn't even really care about what NA is

No, that's not fair and you know it. I'm possibly the most passionate poster remaining here who fully appreciate what NA really is.

You're like the invading species

We should be fairly harmless to your majority.

enemy to Open World MMO NA. Trying to turn NA into NA:L

No. I'm defending true wysiwyg OW timers. OW is what we have at present and other people than me are trying to make OW RoE more arena like.

Not cool jodji, you can't do that brother

But... I'm just doing the same as you; Letting you know what I like the most.

2 hours ago, Hullabaloo said:

Exactly right. The utter failure of NAL should have been a wake up call to indicate people wanted to play an mmo. Instead NAL has been gradually injected into the OW game.

I was talking to some other old-fag recently, Puchu. His analogy is a pretty concise summary to my usual explanation that I use to debunk your mentality.  

"Admin" rolls around asking if anyone wants ice-cream. Then he smears dog-shit onto it and asks "why doesn't anyone want ice cream; this doesn't make any sense". He concludes that no one must like ice cream and moves on. 

• Like 3

• 1 month later...

4 years have passed, the combat is almost where it should be, but the glorified lobby - some call it ow mmo sandbox and so on - is still the part of the game that makes it a horrible pain to play and which kills the playerbase that everyone is asking for. 

Few people have the time to sail around for 3 hours to find a 1h battle in which they get ganked by an overwelming force appearing out of nowhere. It has allways been like that, but in sea trials. It's about Time to bring the good part of the game to the players we dont need the rest if it prevents you from the combat.

We do still care about whats good about the game even though many of us are but shadows of the past.