Game-Labs Forum

Ship Names

I know it's been already in discussion, but I still find this idea very promising:

Let crafters name their ships. It might be kind of silly because I know there might be a lot of people who come up with nonsense-names like "Seegurke" or "Pillepalle" and so on but the possibility to encounter a ship you've crafted long ago would be a really nice experience.

Imagine you fight against an enemy and since you're in battle screen you can see the name of his ship. You might identify it as yours by name, boarded by an opponent long ago. You might be happy that this ship is still sailing out, you might be trigger-happy to get revenge on him or you might change from "sink him rapidly" to "lets get my ship back and board him".

Still thinking it would be a very nice feature.

Maybe let only crafted ships be named, not redeemed ones.

• Like 3

the only problem i see is that some players would name their ships with offensive names. It would be cool, but you're kind of crafting sister ships of a ship class if you think about it.

I see this problem -- maybe it's sufficient to add the date of creation to the ship's ID. Saying "USS UNITED STATES, crafted by mikawa, fulfils it's duty since one year and a month.

It makes you proud if you see that a ship crafted by you is (maybe) over a year in the game.

I would love to name my ships. The problem is that we will have  ships with names like USS AnalAction in the butt, HMS KUKEN, and USS Pink Dick in the stores and we would meet them in OW fights.

It will never work.

It is too sad, but unfortunately so.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Hethwill said:

Premade list from 3decks names could work. Same way as the AI captains are named.

Very good idea, you can like put hundred names there :) 

I would also like to have definition/tag added to my ship in docks. Bellona / pvp boarder , Bellona / pve grind etc.

Like in "the division" you can select preset names for your loadouts.

A considerable amount of thought goes into the name of any ship, generally it is what the owner wishes to say about their ship. Naval ships tend to fall into categories, names that reflect power or traits, like Indefatigueable, or, Terror, famous people like Tromp, Jean d'Arc or Nelson the USN have even had a USS Sir Winston Churchill, it is a rarity for any nation to honour foreign leaders in this way, Classic names from ancient Greece and Rome like Dido, Andromeda and Leander,  Mars, Neptune, the Royal Navy even had an entire class of Corvettes named for flowers!

Often nations share names too Concord/ Concorde, the lists are long and distinguished with battle honours that date back centuries, giving character and a sense of pride in the ship.  a ships name is important, they often inspire affectionate nicknames like Anteelopee for Antelope  or Cherry'B' for Charybdis or national pride like Hood, Ark Royal, Enterprise, or, Foch and Clemenceau.

The big question is really not can it be done, it can, but would there be sufficient space for such a database, and of course the names themselves.

What they could so is allow for you to name your ship whatever you want. Be it USS Beaver or HMS Triumphant. But, place in a feature where you can report names that have profanities and things of the sort. That way you can have basically whatever name you want, yet there won't be any ridiculous names. 

Upon being reported and the moderator checks the name and finds it to not suite the game, then you will be notified your ship's name has been reset. You can then replace the name.

Maybe even repeat offenders will be prohibited from naming ships for 'x' days.

Maybe a toggle for seeing friendly and enemy ship names? I mean, it'd be cool to find a very good enemy player and capture the ship they've personalized with a name and then gain bragging rights. 

Naming could even bring about more friendly rivalries. If you lose your ship, build a new, better one with the name "[Insert player that killed you]'s Bane." Then seek vengeance! 

Give the crafter the chance to name his craft, instead of it simply being open to everybody. And for real, whoever hello kittying put something wrong, foul or even completely out of reason, just ban him temporarily or punish him accordinly, that shouldn't be too hard.

If you craft the ship, you can name it and you can color it, paint DLCs and paint schemes should be used when crafting a ship, not as a type of permanent upgrade.

Edited by Portuguese Privateer
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, Preechur Blackheart said:

I would be happy with seeing the names I choose on the ships I sail. I would not need to see the names others choose for their ships. I wonder if coding would allow only the player to see names the player chooses for the ships the player sails.. I would even pay for the privilege.

I would be happy with seeing the names I choose on the ships I sail. I would not need to see the names others choose for their ships. I wonder if coding would allow only the player to see names the player chooses for the ships the player sails.. I would even pay for the privilege.

This would be perfect.  Allow us to name our own ships, clientside only.    And somewhere inside the ship's details a player could look up the history of each ship's names.