Game-Labs Forum

@admin 

With the Hermoine, Pandora, and Ratata going to DLC, and the changes to permits with some being rare and others being more common, I was wondering what will become of the Diana? Personally do not believe it should be a DLC ship. We currently have enough DLC ships in comparison to the total amount of ships available in game. So will the Diana be a craftable ship in the near future? If it already is I apologize I did not see it on the crafting list.

• Like 5

Agreed....except for one thing. IF there are going to be any more DLCs, please, please make them be historical and/or fictional famous ships and just recalibrate them to fit in this time frame of game. Next DLC ships should be The Flying Dutchman...an East Indiaman Refit like the LGV Refit, the Queen Anne's Revenge, De Zeven Provinien, etc. @admin you could make a handful of pirate ship DLC and sell them individually and discounted as a package. I know you have said you are trying to remain strict with ships of only the game era, but for Heaven's sake, there is no reason older ships cannot be calibrated to fit in a certain rate of this time period.

• Like 3

24 minutes ago, Malachi said:

Yeah, a pirate ship with 6-pounders max. Much wow.

And the Flying Dutchman...wtf?

Purely fictional ships aren't a good idea in my opinion, but the idea of having what is essentially a large indiaman with as many 4 to 9 pounder cannons as you want/can support while still being able to move definitely appeals to my pirate side. I'd love to see a pirate ship similar to what Queen Anne's revenge is thought to have been, even if its not called that.

• Like 2

'tis why I say they should be calibrated for this game's era....just base the ships on size and place it in the correlating rate and give it guns accordingly. I'm guessing ships like the QAR would be about equal to a 4th rate...so give it some 4th rate guns.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Malachi said:

I heard it had she sorts ranging from about 2-12 pounders which was pretty common amongst pirates, you arm with what you can get. but maybe he means this beast of a racebuilt galleon?

1200px-Flying_Dutchman_Prop_at_Castaway_

She's got 46 guns:
20 x 36lb
18 x 24lb
8 x 3lb
Broadside weight of 588lb (266.71kg)

With the armament she has she's a pretty competitive ship tbf and she looks suspiciously like the generic shipwreck model 🤔

Thats before you even consider the undead crew, she'd be a giant killer in boarding and a hefty opponent in any instance.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Fluffy Fishy said:

I heard it had she sorts ranging from about 2-12 pounders which was pretty common amongst pirates, you arm with what you can get

Biggest guns they've found yet on the wreck of the QAR were 6-pounders, swedish, french and british, if I remember correctly.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Malachi said:

And your point is?  Premiums in other games are normally a historic icon of that ship/tank/plane and don't allow for load outs to be changed hardly at all.  Your buy it for the name/look not for it's OP STATUS.   None of the DLC's should be more powerful than anything in game that is craftedable.   In fact they should be weaker than the counter part for the most part which is why they should all be 3/5 only ships with just the perk chance being random.

2 hours ago, Malachi said:

LGV refit with 6- instead of 9-pounders not good enough? :P

LGV was a troop transport so it's not a real cargo ship or even pirate. Why wouldn't some one want an Idiaman refit that has 18 lbs, more crew, less cargo and etc?   I would be game for that.

3 hours ago, van der Decken said:

Agreed....except for one thing. IF there are going to be any more DLCs, please, please make them be historical and/or fictional famous ships and just recalibrate them to fit in this time frame of game. Next DLC ships should be The Flying Dutchman...an East Indiaman Refit like the LGV Refit, the Queen Anne's Revenge, De Zeven Provinien, etc. @admin you could make a handful of pirate ship DLC and sell them individually and discounted as a package. I know you have said you are trying to remain strict with ships of only the game era, but for Heaven's sake, there is no reason older ships cannot be calibrated to fit in a certain rate of this time period.

They can take in game ships and just give the DLC one skin that you can only get by buying it as a DLC.  Other wise you can just craft the plan boring one that my have paint support.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Sir Texas Sir said:

LGV was a troop transport so it's not a real cargo ship or even pirate

The LGV was a gabare, the very definition of a french naval cargo ship. And please explain what a 'real pirate ship' is. I'm curious.

7 minutes ago, Sir Texas Sir said:

Premiums in other games are normally a historic icon of that ship/tank/plane and don't allow for load outs to be changed hardly at all.  Your buy it for the name/look not for it's OP STATUS.

Oh, don´t get me wrong, I'm all for giving pirates 'proper' ships. Sloops of the one- or two-masted variety and the occasional 6-pounder frigate as pirate flagship :P

5 minutes ago, Velhelm Von Marrius said:

Have the Walrus or Orca from Black Flags or other similar vessels just for fun. 

Yeah...

I'd rather have the Disney Flying Dutchman in-game than these two abominations.

• Like 3

33 minutes ago, Malachi said:

And please explain what a 'real pirate ship' is.

Anything that floats and that doesn't require too much crew to handle when in pursuit, disposable if needed be and that can be easily flushed on the fly. Less strong, actually more fragile overall, but more space for crew and cargo below :)

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Malachi said:

Biggest guns they've found yet on the wreck of the QAR were 6-pounders, swedish, french and british, if I remember correctly.

4 hours ago, van der Decken said:

'tis why I say they should be calibrated for this game's era....just base the ships on size and place it in the correlating rate and give it guns accordingly. I'm guessing ships like the QAR would be about equal to a 4th rate...so give it some 4th rate guns.

QAR was roughly the size, bm, and # of cannon as Essex, Rat Frig, Belle Poule. If they gave it the comparable cannon in game and added 100 crew to match the 300 under Blackbeard, I'd say the QAR could fit in this game nicely as a 5th rate. Same with an Indiaman Refit. Obviously they want pirates in this game, so they should provide more rat ships than just the Privateer and Rat Frig.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, van der Decken said:

QAR was roughly the size, bm, and # of cannon as Essex, Rat Frig, Belle Poule.

Oh, really? The QAR is usually described as a vessel of ~250 tons (and maybe 90 to 100 feet long), that's roughly the size of the Prince or the Niagara. La Belle Poule, the smallest frigate in your list, had 900 tons.  

If you want a 'big' pirate ship, try the Fancy.

Edited by Malachi
  • Like 2

I think the Queen Annes' Revenge is reflected well in the La Gros Venture Refit, but the Flying Dutchman, would historically be a trade ship that went around the horn of Afrika... maybe a tattered paint for the Indiaman would do? If not... a cool thing may be... an up armed Indiaman DLC with an additional deck of guns lower to the water line and a tattered skin with redish brown sails... similar to the possible paint for the pirate frigate... that wonderfull looking tattered and weathered look. She would have at least 2 bow guns of 6 pound orientation... 24 pounders on the added lower gun deck... the 18 pounders on the upper deck, and the 9 pounders on her top or weather deck.... perhaps make her to be able to mount 68 pound carros on her new bottom deck as well. It would have far less cargo hold space than a normal Indiaman, being fully decked out and rigged for war. Crew compliment could remain the same... if an advantage of crew would be given... just round the Flying Dutchman crew count up to 400.

This would compose a truly unique and magnetic DLC for players to buy. Super unique and a cursed look to it... would especially be epic to time her attacks during storms, what fun! Players would likely eat this up.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Lieste said:

QAR was a 6lb frigate built merchant ship of the 171x period.

A very rough approximation of her overgunned state (though a bit bigger x2 than she would be) could be the surprise fitted with 6lb guns and 4lb on the QD/FC. No Carronades, no heavy ordnance (9lb).

She was big and powerful by pirate standards (and operated in a small flotilla), as pirates typically tended to use cutters and sloops which could use inlets and anchorages smaller than formal deepwater ports, and which would hope to evade naval vessels, and provide enough threat to small merchant vessels armed with little better than 'insurance' pieces on obstructed decks to force them to yield for 'safe quarter' if caught in a chase.

Their vessels are not suited to fighting a major naval power in fleet actions, and even a single gun-brig or frigate was a serious threat to pirate activities where it was patrolling.

QAR was indeed built in 1710 at Bristol, 103 feet long and 200 burden tons as a merchant vessel, the Concord, Captured by the French in 1711 she was renamed  (L') Concorde and fitted out as a light Frigate,  she was used as a merchant and refitted as a Black-birder (slave ship) before her capture by Edward Teach (Blackbeard) and others off St Vincent in November 1717, her cargo of slaves sold off at Martinique she became Blackbeard's flagship. Her return to the then British American colonies yielded several victims before she was grounded and sunk at Beaufort Inlet North Carolina in May of 1718.

Like Captain Henry Every's Fancy, she was not a typical Pirate ship,  bigger than the usual brigs, sloops and other shallow draught  ships pirates used, they were always over-gunned and over -crewed, QAR carried up to 40 6lb cannons with a crew of around 300. While being more than capable of engaging small warships, Pirates did not do so as there was no profit in doing so, they could, and did fight defensively against small warships if cornered, but, by preference would disengage and run for shallow waters to evade capture, it was during one such fight Blackbeard was killed. The fate of both the  Fancy and Captain Every remains something of a mystery, the Fancy is not listed as being wrecked, or, sunk by Naval forces and Every simply disappeared into the mist of history.

Despite being at the fringes of Naval Actions time-frame, old by most ships standards the Queen Anne's Revenge and the Fancy would make more realistic Pirate ships than the maxed out Bellona's et al that are the current fare of Pirates (although I think many Pirates in game may not wish to lose the big ships that they have invested so much time and effort to make as good as they are, and who could blame them), Used in a similar fashion to Blackbeard or Every, as part of a group of smaller ships, with good Captains they could be every bit as successful as the real ships were in their brief Piratical careers, they would, I think, be more challenging ships to operate for Pirates, as they would be to catch by Naval forces.  

• Like 1