Game-Labs Forum

Back after 2 month break...

First the good thing... I really liked the new AI and my first day was actually fun... then I saw the flaw with the new mission system... 

It is frustrating... you need to sail for hours to find for example a 3rd or a 4th rate to kill for a search or hunt mission. If you do missions like that there should maybe actual AI ships to hunt... and no I didnt try that near capital cities I ventured pretty far out...  so you take a big risk for hours and no reward...

Then here comes the 2nd day... and I see the DLC pain, the main reason why I left, is still there... so I take two good endys to do a mission... of cause armed with longs since they work both for doing that at least for me... Well both got sunk by a single herc with carros within a few min by hugging them... herc of cause faster, more agile...  can run from it either because of chasers... so its great if you loose 2 ships on your 2nd day back to a pay to win ship and neither mine or the ai ship put a dent in it...  also I guess having a fleet with an AI ship is actually rather useless... because it mostly stays way back and does its thing...

So bye and back to world of warships... I guess I check in in another two month... Btw I wonder if the developers noticed that they push the game maybe in the wrong direction with the dlc and making it actually harder to do anything without playing those? When I started the world was full of different ships etc... now if I encounter pvp its either a herc or le req... I feel stupid for even trying to play other ships anymore...

And whats this thing about ship insurance in the patch notes... after both of my ships sunk I got a whooping 99xp... sooo ? great compensation for two ships that are not even replaceable... and why even bother... the next herc or le req comes for sure...

Oh: I got the insurance... haha 15000 real for the loss of 2 ships... I cant even replace one if I go fir fir... 

Edited by John Hood
Changes
  • Like 5

1 hour ago, John Hood said:

So bye and back to world of warships... I guess I check in in another two month... Btw I wonder if the developers noticed that they push the game maybe in the wrong direction with the dlc and making it actually harder to do anything without playing those? When I started the world was full of different ships etc... now if I encounter pvp its either a herc or le req... I feel stupid for even trying to play other ships anymore...

Hopefully if you decide to check in on the game later you’ll take a few more days to learn how to play it before giving up again.

This advice is for how the game is now. It may not apply to when you return. Certain classes of AU ships tend to sail certain waters. Some areas you will never see big AI ships. Some you’ll see many. Asking in Nation Chat will probably be your best bet here.

It sounds like you ran from the Herc. Why? One Endymion can fight a Herc and win (especially once you are in practice). And as someone else mentioned, your fleet ship should have been ordered to demast the Herc.

I hope you’re able to come back when you have more than 2 days to learn the game. 

Edited by Farrago

There are things that OP could have done, and things that he could learn. And while I don't like the DLC ships, they are not quite as bad as OP thinks.

It is still worth taking note of this post. I read this as constructive feedback, and some insight into the experience of new and returning players. Who don't know how missions work now, how fleet distribution works or how to counter DLC-ships.

That being said. If OP had stuck close to your own AI-fleet, he should have been able to kill the Herc easily.

I think developers have gotten the message regarding DLC ships and hugging. Musket fire/rubbing damage/more swivel guns would be nice for these situations which you can blame mechanics for, or lack thereof.

As for AI ships I've noticed less on OW, probably from the new incentive to hunt them, really a good idea to spread out for new hunting spots but number of outpost slots limit that to a degree

Edited by Slim McSauce
  • Like 2

Yes.  The DLC ships are absolutely the worst part of this game.  They are completely toxic.  Yes sure, there are plenty of ways to counter the Herc and Req. That's not really the problem here.  The thing is, they are still the best at what they do.  That is blatant pay-to-win.  A proper dlc ship should not be better at anything than some crafted ship.  That means not being best at hugging, best at retreating, best at hunting,  best acceleration, all while being easiest and fastest to replace.  This situation is beyond ridiculous.  The longer this goes on, the less hope I have for this game.  What about this @admin?

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Ra Mhotep said:

If herc hugging you, slow down, he has to sail passed or at least maneuver away or you can board him.

Order other endymion to shoot herc sail. 

You got outplayed don't blame game mechanic.

Actually I did set my AI ship to demast... and if the ai ship actually had an IQ it would haved worked... here is the main problem with this fight... you order your ai ship to demast... and it actually does not do shit...  about boarding... well one broadside from him and half of my side + a lot of crew was gone...  but lets not even worry about the ship loss... actually I do now what everybody does... I got the herc and le req dlcs and only play those... no more complaining about loosing ships... I also dont worry about building ships anymore because the market is ruined... look arround how many herc or le req you see sailing... they ruined the market and they made it pay to win... 

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Greysteak said:

Yes.  The DLC ships are absolutely the worst part of this game.  They are completely toxic.  Yes sure, there are plenty of ways to counter the Herc and Req. That's not really the problem here.  The thing is, they are still the best at what they do.  That is blatant pay-to-win.  A proper dlc ship should not be better at anything than some crafted ship.  That means not being best at hugging, best at retreating, best at hunting,  best acceleration, all while being easiest and fastest to replace.  This situation is beyond ridiculous.  The longer this goes on, the less hope I have for this game.  What about this @admin?

Yeah the whole market is gone with the update... Before I would not have even worried about the loss of those two ships... go to KPR... look in the shop get two new good ones.. now? Nothing left there oh I could have gotten an awesome fir fir one... oh wait I am a highest level ship builder... build a new one... nah because just getting resources from one building ate all my labour hours... any why... gonna fight another op herc anyhow... So i just got the dlc too... no more ship building no more other ships...

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Farrago said:

Hopefully if you decide to check in on the game later you’ll take a few more days to learn how to play it before giving up again.

This advice is for how the game is now. It may not apply to when you return. Certain classes of AU ships tend to sail certain waters. Some areas you will never see big AI ships. Some you’ll see many. Asking in Nation Chat will probably be your best bet here.

It sounds like you ran from the Herc. Why? One Endymion can fight a Herc and win (especially once you are in practice). And as someone else mentioned, your fleet ship should have been ordered to demast the Herc.

I hope you’re able to come back when you have more than 2 days to learn the game. 

Read my other reply i did order the other one to demast... but this was a pretty pimped out herc I guess... I had him down to 50% sail... he got back up fast... got him down a 2nd time... no good he came back...  and well might have worked different if I did not had longs maybe... I gave him a few broadsides... scored hits... damage... ? almost 0...  he one broadside half of my ship gone... I played before this for month and did pvp before the dlc stuff... it was fair... I won some I lost some over all it came out to like 50%... so yes I was not great but I could hold my own and didnt got to upset... because when ever I lost it was close... it was a fight...  now it is no more... a herc with carros prolly has the firepower of a 4th rate with the right updates... and that makes it pay to win... And I am not the only one that thinks so... just look at the user numbers with the game on sale even going down... its under 400 people on a friday at like prime time... before i left it was 550 and up... 

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Greysteak said:

I mean I look at World of Warships where I also have a couple of premium ships... they make more xp , more money etc but they are not terrible overpowered... like differenz between tirpitz a premium ship and bismark is tirpitz has 6km torps... dont go that close to it and the two are even in battle etc.. and whats worth is people dont mind loosing them... if it was a valuable ship he might have thought oh wait fleet of two ships do I risk it? So... pffff if it sinks in 24 hours I get a new one so what...  and this same thinking also ruined the ship market... I used to build 6th and 5th rates to make money... not anymore even before the patch because the market was already ruined... and its even worst now...

• Like 1

Either if people consider this type of player and this sort of concern right or wrong, I think a lot players feel the same. This among other reason is causing many to not want to log on. I hope @admin and the developers and keeping their eyes and ears open and hopefully an open mind as well. 

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Ra Mhotep said:

You got outplayed don't blame game mechanic.

The game mechanic is a joke, so don't wonder when all the people are leaving here. it is totally unrealistic. it is more like a curve battle with WW1 planes.

look at the players count 300 to 400 maybe 450 (sometimes). so think first before you write something or you will be in a few month the only one here on the server.

And I really wanted to like it... like I said my first thing was hey the new UI is nice...  not perfect but hey great progress... the simplified ship building I thought time to build again because you do not need to micro manage every screw you need to build etc... so there are a lot of good things. On the 2nd day it simply got frustrating as hell... so for example I took a 4th rate mission out of carlise... ok needed to sail there to get it because none in kpr fine... then the mission I got send me to port morant... ok still fine... completed it... headed all the way back to carlise and thought I get a new one... nope now it says I have to fight a 3rd rate...  ok did that and its not that hard actually... but I got ships from before the patch with all slots unlocked etc... This must be fun for somebody that just got his first 4th rate and tries to unlock slots etc...  Like well like I said I got the herc now and try to unlock its slots before i go hunting... do you think I find missions for that that will not put me miles into enemy waters with an untrained ship? of cause not... I am kinda happy that I am highest rank already, if I just got this game and have to level with this new system I would stop after a couple of battles... I understand what the developers tried to do, get people out of the capital areas etc.  and that might be all great for the hard core players that are here like from day one... but I am pretty sure it drives casual and new players away... This whole new system made the game boring beyond imagination... I can sail through a whole movie (no kidding) and maybe find one battle I can take... a wasa fleet of 10 ? sure I find those... and I am sure can win that with one ship... Its really messed up currently!

15 minutes ago, William Livingston Alden said:

The game mechanic is a joke, so don't wonder when all the people are leaving here. it is totally unrealistic. it is more like a curve battle with WW1 planes.

look at the players count 300 to 400 maybe 450 (sometimes). so think first before you write something or you will be in a few month the only one here on the server.

The game mechanic is what it is, and if more people bothered to actually learn how to sail/fight less people would be frustrated with it. You can thank DLC ships that actually have any sort of pvp action in reinforcement whatsoever. 

And there is the main problem, people don't learn. Because majority of the players never do fight, their only pvp experience comes from completely outnumbering their opponent, the only thing they learn is that if opponent don't manage to escape you win. You learn to use chains maybe.

So, when you don't have the numbers and have to fight on your own you have no chance and won't matter what ship you are in you will loose.

You think that hercules beat those two endymions because it was a hercules?. If he was in a belle poule he would have lost?.  No. The outcome would have been the same.

People don't use hercules because hercs are overpowered, they use it to have a chance to escape the group of players who can only fight when in numbers. 

Maybe if people weren't such cowards dlc ships wouldn't be needed. But when I have to come right outside enemy capital to drag some players out of port you can't expect me to be in a regular frigate.

I can sail around KPR see basic cutters and buccentaurs. 

When the basic cutters are the ships that trying to get you to tag them, and the buccentaur are the ones running for their lives into port you know something is wrong.

The absolute only time I get someone to attack me is when they are 4-5 ships. And when I at least try and drag them out of reinforcement zone usually they won't follow.

Even when outnumbered most of the times they turn back, back to safety.

Time to stop blaming DLC ships for everything. They are here to stay, now get over it and learn the game instead.

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, Gregory Rainsborough said:

The problem isn't the DLC ship. It's how you get them.

THEY SHOULD BE PERMITS NOT NOTES.

How you get it has nothing to do with this tho. OP main issue is that dlc ships overpowered. And that is why he lost his 2 endys. I simply stated he is wrong.

Not saying I am a fan of dlc, never been. But I like the ships.

Edited by Ra Mhotep

By the way I lost two ships today, one was dlc (with outfits worth far more then most brit ships I encounter) and pirate frigate. Both times outnumbered in reinf zone, now I can blame reinf zone. But both times if i acted differently i would have gotten away. So in the end, i can only blame myself.

10 hours ago, Farrago said:

Does anybody have a complete guide to how AI ship control is supposed to work?  I have never understood how to use it, except switching AI between "free" and "retreat" modes.  Half the time I push the buttons like "demast" "attack" "retreat" etc nothing happens.  Some of them seem to do nothing or situational in some way I don't understand, or some of the buttons seem to only register occasionally.  (And recently everyone was saying AI fleet control was completely broken, so does anybody know if it's fixed yet?)  This should really be covered in the Tutorials.

I do and have....  everyone who plays this game has lost ships. 

What people ALWAYS seem to forget is that, on the PvP server, in order for someone to win, someone else has to lose.   

The problem is everyone is afraid to lose.  Some may see it as a game-mechanic related problem. 

Others see it as a challenge to overcome.  

This has been discussed ad nauseum.  

Min this case, imagine if the OP had beaten the Hercules. I can just as easily see the Hercules player starting a thread about “ganking”.  

Honestly, don’t sail ships you can’t afford to lose.   And if you lose TWO Endymions to a single Herc, play in less expensive ships until your skills improve.  

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Vernon Merrill said:

What people ALWAYS seem to forget is that, on the PvP server, in order for someone to win, someone else has to lose.   

The problem is everyone is afraid to lose.  Some may see it as a game-mechanic related problem. 

Min this case, imagine if the OP had beaten the Hercules. I can just as easily see the Hercules player starting a thread about “ganking”.  

Honestly, don’t sail ships you can’t afford to lose.   And if you lose TWO Endymions to a single Herc, play in less expensive ships until your skills improve.  

Well first one was the AI ship and that is a complete different topic... so you tell the AI ship to demast, watch what it shoots and you see ball...  wonderfull...  you tell it to destroy and it sails into the distance...  and well my skill and ship losses where fine before the DLC ships came out... I am not great but also not terrible... I had like a 50%/50% rate... no complaining, the few fights I have with non dlc ships are always close... this one was DLC not a scratch but 2 endies gone... herc... well scratch to the sails pretty much...  and its not just the fight, it hurt the economy... try to get a good replacement ship now that they messed up crafting right with it... why do you think the player numbers dropp like a rock... There are a lot of people that say the devs catered completly to the hard core players and pretty much made it unplayable for everybody else.... You cant even do normal kill missions anymore in a fast manner you need to sail arround to pick them up through all the ports. Its nuts... I understand they want realism well fine...  but its a game and it still needs to be playable or its gonna be the best realistic sailing sim that nobody will play. I think it didnt even reached 400 players today on a friday, with it on sale... and what do you think will all the new players think that get it on steam because its cheap if they get thrown into this mess?

22 minutes ago, Vernon Merrill said:

I disagree. It is a game-mechanic related problem because it doesn't match up with reality. Combat has no musket fire, no swivel guns except 1 ship, no collision damage for rammers, constant repairs, unlimited grapeshot, OP mods and ships, on top of ganks where you lose what you have with virtually no fight (FIGHT, not run)

You think within the idea that NA combat is correct and the only reason people complain is because they aren't sailing the right ships correctly. Many features are missing which result in complaints. You can't expect people to fight correctly when the combat itself is flawed. Which it is for the reasons mentioned.

Edited by Slim McSauce

Slim, I’m not sure how long you’ve been around.  But 99% of the things you’ve mentioned have been implemented at some point and tested.  Collision damage, for example.  I personally loved it and thought it was a great way to prevent hugging.  However, most people hated it because it just usually turned into a Ram-fest. Also, when I started playing, you had ONE repair.  Again, I personally liked it because you really really had to plan your strategy around it.  But also again, many people hated it for various reasons.   I’m not saying I personally wouldn’t like certain things that aren’t in game.   However, it has ALWAYS come down to the fact that some people want things a certain way (more simple) and some people want things another way (more complex).  You’ve certainly been aroun long enough to see that VERY few changes are universally liked.   

So while I understand that people are always going to be passionate about trying to get changes that appeal to their personal play style, I’m glad the devs have finally decided to try and stop trying to please both camps and make the game THEY enjoy.  Because at the end othe day, trying to please both sides just made both sides unhappy.  

• Like 4