Game-Labs Forum

Patch 26. Spanish Frigate Diana, BR rebalance - Diana is a timed reward.

admin

7 minutes ago, Vernon Merrill said:

I must admit I am as guilty as the next, but its amazing to me how many people forget that this is STILL an early access game and our role is to test changes (Good AND Bad) so that the Devs can get DATA....

How hard is it to sail a few days in some cheap ships and do some damn testing.

Sail some ships you dont mind losing....   Have some fun and dont worry about "Muh Pixels!' for a bit.

Jesus.  The sense of entitlement on some of these posts is ridiculous.

+ 1 👍

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, William Wade said:

And more importantly devs could stick to a road map instead of brain fart off the cuff changes. If they are going to make a changes like this then do so in small incremental steps instead of swinging from one extreme to the next. Otherwise your data is rubbish in rubbish out.

If you havent read the forum for a while people were asking to stop the hugging issue by smaller ships and yet devs delievered.

Edited by z4ys
  • Like 1

OK me , Batman , Greg and some other ppl just did few battles together against eachother 1v1 and group (port battle mock up) 

While this change will stop small ships being able to stern-camp bigger ships with grape and hugging (if the big ships keep the DD on) it has the consequence that if you're in a big engagement or PB , then if you don't have boarding prep ALL THE TIME you're dead .. simple as that .. taking a L'ocean very cramped/hammocks will just delay your death as eventually someone will have more crew than you

Edited by John Sheppard
  • Like 3

6 minutes ago, William Wade said:

And more importantly devs could stick to a road map instead of brain fart off the cuff changes. If they are going to make a changes like this then do so in small incremental steps instead of swinging from one extreme to the next. Otherwise your data is rubbish in rubbish out.

How's your game development company coming along?

Just now, William Wade said:

I read the forums, I just don't live for it and this game  like some. 

Now you know that devs were listening to the community. That this kind of change was asked by us. That they added it to their raodmap because we asked for it. Not exactly like they did but overall same intention to stop hull hugging.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, John Sheppard said:

OK me , Batman , Greg and some other ppl just did few battles together against eachother 1v1 and group (port battle mock up) 

While this change will stop small ships being able to stern-camp bigger ships with grape and hugging (if the big ships keep the DD on) it has the consequence that if you're in a big engagement or PB , then if you don't have boarding prep ALL THE TIME you're dead .. simple as that .. taking a L'ocean very cramped/hammocks will just delay your death as eventually someone will have more crew than you

Finally, real feedback - not some bull spitting crap.

Now we can get to some real discussion.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, John Sheppard said:

If you have boarding prep all the time you are dead because you will have no crew left 😆

• Like 5

1 minute ago, Teutonic said:

Finally, real feedback - not some bull spitting crap.

Now we can get to some real discussion.

Indeed it is no longer possible to hug or stern-camp much bigger DD-enabled ships coz all they have to do is turn their sails just a little so you don't notice or slam hard on brakes and board you .. that's it you're dead if they atleast 5 rings .

On bigger ships .. we did old setup vs new half boarding setup in 1st rates and the ppl using the old tactics got pulled and killed very easily due to lack of preparation in both battles 
However full boarding fitted Ocean was able to almost kill everybody even when they had prep coz while having prep allows you to dissengage before you take too many losses (200 crew killed) 50 seconds is not even close to enough time to 1. Enable sailing  2. Wait for your sails to go up and 3 Gain any speed. I believe that boarding cooldown should increase 
It's not even neccessary to have someone wait next to you to board you again before you can get away

I also don't see how full boarding oceans will have any dissadvantage in PB (as i unitually thought would be the case) since some ships will still be rigged for brawling and you have no way to tell which is what as an enemy untill they actually board you . Slowing someone down to 8 knots and maintaning relative speed of within even 2 knots is a joke for someone who knows basic manual sails even if you're in a live/white ocean trying to board a teak/white vic

I expect that some ppl will say that "oh well you just have to fight at distance" but this also doesn't seem possible if you go for any reasonably tanky ship-builds the enemy can always go for lighter build just charge and rageboard everyone in their path as REDS proved in Conil PB vs GNF (mostly) the russians were able to rageboard pretty much everything even tho they had vics and GNF had oceans
Also no matter how light your 1st rates are unless they're fir/fir full speed build and you're only going to sail 135-225 it's not that hard to slow you down enough to be boarded . That's the issues i see atm . Not saying it's bad we just need to tweek some stuff and adapt

Altho the fact that hugging and stern-camping bigger ships is now pretty much impossible against players who have a vague idea of what they're doing is a good thing IMO (i know the ppl who do that will dissagree specially if this is all they have been doing )

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, rediii said:

maybe YOU asked for it but I didnt see any topic about this change

people asked to add musketry. Musketry would be an passive feature and requires no skill. But giving the player the option to deal with such a ship by boarding it - at least requires some kind of skill even its 1100 vs 200.

So in my opinion the better approach was done by game labs. I mean during boarding everyone can select shoot muskets.

Edited by z4ys
  • Like 2

11 minutes ago, Capn Rocko said:

If you have boarding prep all the time you are dead because you will have no crew left 😆

i was able to have decent boarding prep around 60 throught the battles while being able to reload just fine . i agree reloading both sides is pretty much impossible but hey in a PB you're almost always using 1 side untill the last 20 minutes clusterf@ck

2 minutes ago, John Sheppard said:

i was able to have decent boarding prep around 60 throught the battles while being able to reload just fine . i agree reloading both sides is pretty much impossible but hey in a PB you're almost always using 1 side untill the last 20 minutes clusterf@ck

he means you lose more crew when boarding prepped

• Like 1

4 hours ago, admin said:

Hotfix 19th September

• Boarding max speed increased to 8 knots (previously around 4 knots). 
    • speed difference between your ship and enemy ship was lowered and now cannot exceed 5 knots to board (previously it was 8 knots).
    • Both vessels must sail below 8 knots. 

Not sure this was the best idea. So let me get this straight. You cannot be going faster than 8 kn to board and the speeds of either vessel cannot have a difference in speed exceeding 5 kn?

32 minutes ago, NethrosDefectus said:

That's because despite his protests, this change benefits him and arseholes like him the most.

For example:

Most people (wrongly or rightly) now look at DD and see the number as useless and will swap it out for something else, meaning he will be able to board them instantly with his rage board set up. Now no doubt when he pulls a Bellona into boarding that Bellona will be able to disenagage BUT not without taking huge crew losses. All he then has to do is keep repeating the pull until he eventually wins the boarding.

"You're the kind of tosser that spawn camps in a game while yelling Git Gud."

(Also do not insult his beloved Licinio or Hethwill will stop you posting on the forums until you yield to his wishes and promise never to hurt his precious Licinio again ;) )

Not have yet chance to try... a bunch of french requin hunting too and tagging anything afloat, me included. 😂

I'm still not so sure if benefitting me: the more boarding comes to be an issue... the more people will fit for boarding and learn something about it... the harder (aside barricades) the boarding will be in more circumstances. 😎

This change, IMO, as I stated BEFORE, will benefit more raiding groups... FAR more than lone hunters as I am more often than not (even now).

I never used DD, considering being boarded my fault... and 90% cases able to handle it anyway.

Still DD is now WAY more important: because starting the boarding is easier so it is even more important to avoid being locked in your shiny bellona by a damned fast frigate with marines, barricades and axes... giving time to his mateys to come and destroy the Bellona but leaving the bellona unable to smash him fast. As usual, people who dont want to understand, will not understand.

Then. I did even an insta-boarding against a full crew Agamennon. Bellona is bigger. So aside having him no DD... I can assure: you plainly have no clue about boarding: it's a plain suicide or at best time lost. 2 more decks, 2 times the crew. A Bellona doesnt need even Barricade to keep me at bay... in brace all the time.

Sidenote: I do not think Hethwill loves me... may be we find another conspirationist?

5 minutes ago, Davos Seaworth said:

Not sure this was the best idea. So let me get this straight. You cannot be going faster than 8 kn to board and the speeds of either vessel cannot have a difference in speed exceeding 5 kn?

Yes, so essentially if you manage to get to your enemy's side and you're both moving at a speed of 8 knots or less with less than 5 knot difference you can slap the G button and the boarding will begin, I prefered the earlier iteration of it when it actually, you know, took some effort to do that

1 minute ago, John Sheppard said:

Well that's why this is an issue and why i bring it up that if you don't have boarding prep all the time you die .. and if you do you die again so what's the solution?

I am glad hugging can no longer be a tactic. 

It is good to find it early that the numbers need to be adjusted. Hopefully we can find a solution through discussion that allows us to stop hugging without breaking the rest of the game.

Keep in mind that the admin stated they want to add ship weight as a factor towards difficulty in boarding someone.

On top of the UI patch and mod/book rebalance - in a way we should have gotten them all in order to truly understand how things play out.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Intrepido said:

Revert this nonsense hotfix and add musket fire from decks.

Even with limited grasp on coding... I think anyone can guess this is far easier to get working than adding a total new feature (to be balanced then by ground).

And in the end, with all potential consequencies to tactics we will discover in some DAYS (not hours), Devs added exactly fire muskets and grenades against small hugging boats: board and kill them. Properly done it'll probably be even faster than a slow tick of crew losses per minute.

6 hours ago, admin said:

We don't know yet regarding the DLC… The effect of heavier DLC vessels is not fully understood. But with time it will be more clear. If 4th rate DLC ship appear it will only have effect on the economy, as there are clear alternatives which are similar or better in its rank. 

In terms of in game availability.. Both ships will remain in game, old USS constitution model has some sentimental value as it is one of the first 3 ships that appeared in game. 

Effect of lighter or heavier DLC vessel would be the same if ship is properly balanced against crafted ships.Economy will not suffer only crafting would becouse people rather buy DLC than deal with tiresome crafting new crafting system will help, but becouse of current reward system one thing will not change DLC ship will always be number 1 choice for PvP becouse of ease of replacing ship

Just now, rediii said:

so we asked for something and got another thing

And you say we asked for this thing we didn't ask for

Trolling Sir :)

You know that what's was asked was putting a limit to hugging and sterncamping small ships against way bigger.
This is not a new passive musketry feature... still working in the same direction: making hugging/sterncamping a far bigger enemy very dangerous. As it should be.

• Like 1