Game-Labs Forum

Patch 23: Updated Tutorial, Special ship and new UI teaser.

admin

3 hours ago, Edmund Blackadder said:

Well, quite frankly: If I buy a game and can’t even finish the Tutorial (meant for explaining the game, not challangeing) then I wouldn’t even bother to play the rest because I would assume it only gets harder afterwards.

Tutorial AND exams gives the player full understanding of the potential level of difficulty in the game. And many successful games use this in design.

Here is a simple demonstration. 

Here are the global achievements stats for Dark Souls 3 - which cherishes the fact that its hardcore and hard. (first version of the game even had Prepare to die in its name)
dyjdXtv.png

Estimated sales of D3 are 10 mln copies on the PC.
Which means that 2 mln of players did not progress past the tutorial, and almost 5 mln players have not reached the third boss (which can be reached in 10-15 mins if you know what you are doing). But we dont see the angry posts like "gosh this is hard about that game".  Community embraces the fact that the game is NOT for everyone, cherishing this "Trial by Fire" concept. You cannot skip the first tutorial boss in DS3 at all (you cannot skip the second boss too). 

In our case 
Clear message is better than boiling the frog slowly.

• Customer who liked the challenges will be happy in game too.
  • Customer who did not like the challenge will probably do not like the game at all. 

It is time for the community to embrace the fact that this game is not for everyone and we don't need everyone to succeed. We need players who will be happy and don't need everyone else. 

But again - good design gives alternative routes. You can skip the tutorial and just sail the cutter. 

• Like 2

Then I suggest remove the Final Exam and its reward from its current position under Tutorial and add it under a different but linked heading like "Hardcore Challenge" or something along those lines...

P.S. I would even go so far as to periodically add other missions to the Challenges section...

Edited by Sir William Hargood
  • Like 3

11 minutes ago, admin said:

Tutorial AND exams gives the player full understanding of the potential level of difficulty in the game. And many successful games use this in design.

Here is a simple demonstration. 

Here are the global achievements stats for Dark Souls 3 - which cherishes the fact that its hardcore and hard. (first version of the game even had Prepare to die in its name)
dyjdXtv.png

Estimated sales of D3 are 10 mln copies on the PC.
Which means that 2 mln of players did not progress past the tutorial, and almost 5 mln players have not reached the third boss (which can be reached in 10-15 mins if you know what you are doing). But we dont see the angry posts like "gosh this is hard about that game".  Community embraces the fact that the game is NOT for everyone, cherishing this "Trial by Fire" concept. You cannot skip the first tutorial boss in DS3 at all (you cannot skip the second boss too). 

In our case 
Clear message is better than boiling the frog slowly.

• Customer who liked the challenges will be happy in game too.
  • Customer who did not like the challenge will probably do not like the game at all. 

It is time for the community to embrace the fact that this game is not for everyone and we don't need everyone to succeed. We need players who will be happy and don't need everyone else. 

But again - good design gives alternative routes. You can skip the tutorial and just sail the cutter. 

Are we getting achievements/dailys as well? 

P.S. show rewards in the end of final exam otherwise all new guys will be skipping it making tutorial useless. 

Edited by Project Pluto

9 minutes ago, admin said:

Do you realize that in a way you're stating you only care about the hardcore players and not the community as a whole? Either that or that or you see hardcore players as the only potential part of your game. Just FYI the pve server has 1/5 of the population of the pvp server. I'd call that a big part of your playerbase.

2 minutes ago, NethrosDefectus said:

Today's hotfix was?

Ship notes can't be traded anymore between players is what I've seen so far. 

At the end of the day people might give up but after gaining more experience or watching YouTube videos will come back and complete it. After all imo most newcomers will probably go straight to open sea and explore. Personally I think there should be another tutorial about using the wind and show noobs the advantage it gives you having it!

11 minutes ago, HachiRoku said:

At the end of the day people might give up but after gaining more experience or watching YouTube videos will come back and complete it. After all imo most newcomers will probably go straight to open sea and explore. Personally I think there should be another tutorial about using the wind and show noobs the advantage it gives you having it!

Newcomers will just skip it as there is no reward shown. For example, in game X I tried a starting mission and got rewarded right away, that resulted in me returning a progressing to get more rewards and achievements as well as reputation. Progress bar was clear and easy to read. 

Edited by Project Pluto

Honestly ?!... unsure if the final exam is hard or if so many players are actually "worse" than they thought themselves to be. Little difference from fighting a OW AI fleet of 2 cerbs using a player cerb, other than the knowledge and modules, which gives the human a definite advantage in the OW scenario.

Will 100% agree with tips showing prior to the Final Exam for the player to remember the essentials - angle, ranging shots, ammo types, etc

Also indication of the rewards on the Exams screens would be great - "If you pass the exams you will be awarded, this this and that" - give a bit of sugar coat.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Hethwill said:

Honestly ?!... unsure if the final exam is hard or if so many players are actually "worse" than they thought themselves to be. Little difference from fighting a OW AI fleet of 2 cerbs using a player cerb, other than the knowledge and modules, which gives the human a definite advantage in the OW scenario.

Will 100% agree with tips showing prior to the Final Exam for the player to remember the essentials - angle, ranging shots, ammo types, etc

Also indication of the rewards on the Exams screens would be great - "If you pass the exams you will be awarded, this this and that" - give a bit of sugar coat.

Think from a newcomer perspective. 

2 minutes ago, Project Pluto said:

Think from a newcomer perspective. 

Hard. As a veteran I am full of vices already.

But similar game - Exanima - I can tell you I welcomed the challenge and the harsh "tutorial".

Else it would be impossible to even survive 5 minutes in the "real" world.

17 hours ago, Holm Hansen said:

Why, at least here, get not all the same, for the same effort? Especially in this case where we only have one chance.
RNG, I think, is in this case a very bad idea. 

As much as I like being probably the only guy out there right now with a purple hercules, I do agree its not fair. We both did the same exam and should honestly both have gotten 5/5 ships as its only once off. If its any consolation i've only gotten one purple and one yellow ship from 200+ crafted ships so my luck there is a lot worse.

23 minutes ago, Captain Noodles said:

Do you realize that in a way you're stating you only care about the hardcore players and not the community as a whole? Either that or that or you see hardcore players as the only potential part of your game. Just FYI the pve server has 1/5 of the population of the pvp server. I'd call that a big part of your playerbase.

You are all hardcore players. No casual player would play this game, he might think he is a casual player but he is not. Being a pve player does not make you casual. You are  a hardcore pve player. 

Here are the stats of top MMOs on Steam by average hours.

Eve Online - 60 hours
Path of Exile - 64 hours
Elite Dangerous - 87 hours
Black Desert - 99 hours
TESO Online - 93 hours
Stronghold kingdoms - 108 hours
MABINOGI - 101 hours
Everquest 2 - 28 hours
Archeage - 52 hours
H1Z1 - 65 hours
World of Warships - 13 hours

Naval Action - 122 hours

MMOs with higher average hours than naval action.
Final Fantasy 14 - 250 hours
PUBG - 222 hours
ARK - 147 hours
RUST - 124 hours
XAOC - 156 hours

Hope this puts things in perspective.
NA is a great game (no sane person would eat shit for 122 hours on average) - the only reason for vocal negativity is constant changes in the past, misunderstandings or getting banned for being a prick.

• Like 11

21 hours ago, admin said:

AI never cheats. it just plays well and uses yards well. 
But we tested all of them. Our artists from other projects with no experience with NA were able to pass the final after several tries. 

I may be late to the party but.... HAHAHA what? The ai literally shoots double out of its carros. When we had the shot log you could see that and if you cap the ai like in the final exam one of the cerbs I boarded had double on its stern carros still. I know the ai gets some pretty good boarding buffs at high lvls and epic ai just beats you no matter what you do.

27 minutes ago, Sir William Hargood said:

Then I suggest remove the Final Exam and its reward from its current position under Tutorial and add it under a different but linked heading like "Hardcore Challenge" or something along those lines...

P.S. I would even go so far as to periodically add other missions to the Challenges section...

This is my thinking also.  The tutorial gives basic instruction in how to carry out the basic functions in the game.  Good for new players (thank-you for using Port and Stbd).  It really has no relationship to what you call the "Final Exam".  An exam should reinforce what you learned in the tutorial.  Comparing the tutorial to the exam is ludicrous.  Anyone that passes the final exam in one try is a very experienced player.  Any new players who succeed in this will have been heavily coached.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, admin said:

You are all hardcore players. No casual player would play this game, he might think he is a casual player but he is not. Being a pve player does not make you casual. You are  a hardcore pve player. 

Eve Online - 60 hours
Path of Exile - 64 hours - Not an MMO
Elite Dangerous - 87 hours - Not an MMO
Black Desert - 99 hours
TESO Online - 93 hours
MABINOGI - 101 hours
Everquest 2 - 28 hours
Archeage - 52 hours
H1Z1 - 65 hours - Not an MMO
World of Warships - 13 hours - Not an MMO

Naval Action - 122 hours

PUBG - 222 hours - Not an MMO
ARK - 147 hours - Not an MMO
RUST - 124 hours - Not an MMO
XAOC - 156 hours

NA is a great game (no sane person would eat shit for 122 hours on average) - the only reason for vocal negativity is constant changes in the past, misunderstandings or getting banned for being a prick.

Most of those aren't even mmos... NA isnt a great game, its a great idea that isn't finished.

• Like 5

30 minutes ago, admin said:

Eve Online - 60 hours
Path of Exile - 64 hours
Elite Dangerous - 87 hours
Black Desert - 99 hours
TESO Online - 93 hours
MABINOGI - 101 hours
Everquest 2 - 28 hours
Archeage - 52 hours
H1Z1 - 65 hours
World of Warships - 13 hours

Naval Action - 122 hours

PUBG - 222 hours
ARK - 147 hours
RUST - 124 hours
XAOC - 156 hours

Oke ill have to agree i made a very weak point, even so i do strongly believe the tutorial should be setup differently. Don't expect everyone to be the same if you want to build your game population back up.

26 minutes ago, koiz said:

Most of those aren't even mmos... NA isnt a great game, its a great idea that isn't finished.

First. Being an MMO on steam is self declared. All those games are in the MMO category on steam.

Regarding your comment on the great idea: People dont spend hours in ideas.
But I understand your point 

Just like i said above. Some players love it and some players hate it. Majority of good products are polarizing. Fans love it with passion, haters hate it with passion too.  The fact that someone hates NA in its current state (or does not consider it great) is irrelevant to me. My goal is to bring more people like those who love it. 

• Like 4

17 minutes ago, koiz said:

NA isnt a great game, its a great idea that isn't finished

I do agree, is a good game for me, but I want it to be GREAT which it has more than all the potential needed.

Just hate to see small tweaks, waiting for the big contents. So many MMO games around, we are all gamers we know what it took as going back to playing a game. So there are so many stuff Devs can adopt from other games, it is great because they do not have to invent anything new, it is all there. Just look, pick the best ones, adapt.

Content for me;

PVE/PVP events like

Patrol (please sort out the BR anomally, there polls we want max. 1.5 BR difference, no body wants to get spanked ! . Also for rewards, 7K damage = 5 mark, 20K damage = 10 mark,  70K damage = 25 mark and so on, so people will keep playing and please claim the rewards automaticaly just before server reset.) 

Teasure fleet, Notorious Pirate NPC with fleet, Military shipment fleet etc., to generate coop PVE and PVP, not in the nowhere but reasonable sailing distance from capitals (get noobs participate)

PVP player generated missions, Hachi the great, Redi the fantastic plus the spanking squad, creates a mission to attack KPR greenzone. Brit spies whisper the mission to british, so mission pops up in the screen. Attackers gets rewards compared to BR difference, 2 BR difference they get double for sinking ships, etc.

Deeper crafting, more levels for ship builders with bonuses, remove selling ships with marks in Admirality but contracts with marks to buy the same ships. As a ship builder I see the contract take it, have to craft ship in reasonable time, or I pay penalty.

Trade runs again, to level up also your trader rank, OW sailing gives more XP to unluck ship slot, you are sailing 1 week, so you learn your ship ?

More ranks regarding pve / pvp / crafter / trader

Definitly in game "Player Avatar", some more sailors on sails / crownest, and a captain to show similar to your avatar on the deck, giving commands, shouting.

OW option to HAIL other ships when in close range, so if other captain accepts to his name, chat and invite duel ?

More customization for owned ships, some sail patterns, colours, a bit dark / yellowish realistic of course :) , also more paint skins to choose.

these are kind of what I dream on the full release :)

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Nemockalb said:

Naval Action - 122 hours

Do not rely on this. AFK/semi-afk sailing, fishing.

Spoken like a true jaded pessimist.
This afk theory is spread by people who just want to stop others from enjoying what they are doing. 120,000 copies *122 hours:  you cant force 120 thousand people to afk sails for 122 hours.