Game-Labs Forum

Patch 22: Patrol BR limits, Grape fix and Planking mechanics improvements

admin

20 hours ago, Ahoy H.R. Matey said:

The way carros are represented in the game is kind of a joke. A carronade was the pinnacle of ship cannon evolution at the time;

carronades mostly died out after the introduction of 24lb super frigates by US and French navies.

41 minutes ago, admin said:

data from admiralty tests shows that light calibers penetrated 100cm of wood at close range. But their pens dropped muuuch faster with distance. this is implemented in game too. A long range even 24lb does not penetrate 1st rate hull. 

Can you specify close range?  At the moment 6pd penetrates Santisima from 250m.

edit.

Another question is that how thick Santisima was?

Edited by Cmdr RideZ

11 minutes ago, Cmdr RideZ said:

At the moment 6pd penetrates Santisima from 250m.

Only if you use a stupid build that includes something weak like Fir or Bermuda.. Teak/WO or WO/WO or Cag/WO or LO/WO on a Santi will not be penetrated by 6pd long guns at 250m. You could even replace WO with Sabicu and you won't get penetrated. This doesn't even include mods like Cartagena or Navy Structure Refit.

I have simply noticed that really often, or always, people go with small cannons rather than carronades.

I have understood that Carronades had their place.

Did not test today but chain damage was at least relatively high. Small cannons are good at doing chain damage, carronades are not.

Balance between small cannons and carronades can be improved by decreasing chain damage.

Now that masts can be shot easier with smaller cannons, if not bottom then mid section, this is turning balance towards small cannons again.

Simply one option to consider is to decrease rigging damage, which then makes hull damage more important, which indirectly buffs carronades.

Maybe I am wrong but somehow it feels like that Carronades are not still good enough.

2 hours ago, admin said:

carronades mostly died out after the introduction of 24lb super frigates by US and French navies.

How do you figure? Connie (being the archetypal superfrigate) had carronades on the spardeck.

Also what do you define as "short range" and "long range"?

Carros in game are just... awkward. Your recent patch seems to suggest "keep your distance and angle your hull". This pushes the preference towards cannons, with their flatter trajectories and greater range. At range, you have to have a separate firing solution for the cannons and the carros, if you mix them, and even then you often either hit water or sails. So I have to brawl and (with new "your ship is paper up close" mentality) get my hull trashed by anything from Prince up.

OTOH, let's use the Connie as an example because I sail it alot lately... I can put 24 longs or poods on the gun deck and long 9s on weather... play keepaway and snipe... I'll probably do similar damage over time because 1) I only need 1 firing solution and 2) 9s will hit more than carros at range... and save my hull...

The recent patch pushes the sniper behavior again, in the end.

Edited by Ahoy H.R. Matey

29 minutes ago, Ahoy H.R. Matey said:

How do you figure? Connie (being the archetypal superfrigate) had carronades on the spardeck.

Also what do you define as "short range" and "long range"?

Prob cause those Carros would tear up any none super frig or above, while it had the 24's on the lower deck to handle equal or larger ships.

Though I'm kinda surprised we don't have a French 4 th rate in game though, we pretty much have many other french ships.  Wonder how those three new ships are coming along.  The Spanish 3rd and the others they been working on....I think I'm needing new ships since we aren't getting paints any time soon @admin just drop a paint chest to every one to shut me up about paints....please;)

Characteristics and damage model?

Speed, weak masts, sails, repair kits, maneuverability?

Many here disagree with me in about everything, and I understand that SOLs are maybe ships that most today want to sail. Personally liked it more when we were sailing 5th rates and a Bellona was a major thing in OW PvP.

Edited by Cmdr RideZ

3 hours ago, Cmdr RideZ said:

Characteristics and damage model?

Speed, weak masts, sails, repair kits, maneuverability?

Many here disagree with me in about everything, and I understand that SOLs are maybe ships that most today want to sail. Personally liked it more when we were sailing 5th rates and a Bellona was a major thing in OW PvP.

Lets think back on what made people choose those ships in the first place, shall we?

Really the only thing I can remember is speed being king, meta was fir/fir stacked with speed mods. 14knt ships where the norm for everything connie and under with the rare bello and later on wasa when it was introduced.

I think in this new toned down meta of balancing armor and speed, we see more ships being defaulted to a teak/wo setup. For SOLS this means around 11-11.6knts in speed, for frigates it's anywhere from 11.5-12.7 for normal setups without any exceptional mods.

The speed gap is much smaller now between large and small ships, is this how it should be? idk. But frigates have found themselves less and less used for OW in the recent months.

4 hours ago, Slim McSauce said:

The speed gap is much smaller now between large and small ships, is this how it should be? idk. But frigates have found themselves less and less used for OW in the recent months.

Speed for sure but if you think about the rest, those changes are not benefiting SOLs?

Lets actually think back on what made people choose those ships in the first place, shall we?

They made a mast patch that was especially good for SOLs?

Sail damage is very high, smaller ships suffering more than SOLs?

Repair kits have equal use times, SOLs repairing more per pop, with less dps harder to burst?

Maneuverability benefits for 5th rates are now better or worse than before?

Is boarding actually now easier than before?  Was upwind speed decreased?  Defender perk protecting SOLs from rage boarding but not really helping 5th rates?  (Rage boarding as another subject that should be fixed though)

But yes, speed is a big factor here.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, z4ys said:

I don't saw much admin action over the last week so my guess we are kind of close to next patch release.

most likely from wednesday to friday in these days devs normaly release updates if we look at update release history. Besides if it will be big update with UI,premium ships,etc,...

we gonna get news 24-48h earlier

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/22/2018 at 2:31 AM, rediii said:

Raking, I doubt ships got sterncamped the way we do it in the game back then.

The point is that more expensive ships should be more effective than less expensive ships. Only when enough less effective ships fight against a more expensive ship the less expensive ships should have a chance. Ans even then probably the more expensive ship should win because its able to kill enemys faster and lower their dps etc. faster.

That is exactly the strategy they used. Every ship is vulnerable to stern shots, there is no armor other than window panes and maybe a door. Just imagine a cannon ball gutting a subway from one end to the other and youll have the right idea. More expensive ships are more effective than the less expensive, but the buc captain must of made a series of mistakes. The fact that the 3 princes managed to take a buc is a testament to them. The fact the buc lasted until the last 20 seconds is a testament to him. 

Edited by asuspiciousbear