Game-Labs Forum

Is there obligation for PVP server to protect PVE only veterans?

3 hours ago, fox2run said:

The thing is... it was so a few month after release.. but then it gave too much action and players complained... well.... now they complain again, I suppose... 

Because PVP arena goes against the whole MMO aspect of NA. Do the right thing and give us OW PVP missions, don't cut corners on OW. This is exactly why NA and NAL are separate games

10 hours ago, Landsman said:

Haha, I just love how you marked the first line and complained about it as insult, when it was YOU who brought it up.... that cracked me up real good.

I was expecting this one....Well, when I make an humorous post suggesting to use grey matter (I assume then that everyone has grey matter right ? which is good no ?) to find target, you reply that I should use mine "INSTEAD" when I explain my opinion. Is that not some kind of insult ? Plus you don't reply on the other marked lines....that's so convenient.

Well, you have your vision of the game, I have mine and we won't agree. So the end for me, don't want to spend my time arguing for nothing, you win (unfortunatly you won't have your precious PvPmarks for that...).

12 hours ago, Preechur Blackheart said:

Now that I am playing Legends as well, I am wondering why that same idea could not be integrated into NA itself. Everyone who is developing an economy, rank and ships could have a choice: go into a battle arena and have PvP on demand without fear of loss of ship and without the timesink of sailing and searching for a battle, or dare to fight in the OW where losing to a foes means you lose your ship as well. Best of both worlds?

We had that earlier. It was under missions: small and large battles.  But I think with Legends the intent is to implement things in the future that cannot be implemented in NA for some reason, like storm battles. I may be wrong though.  

Sorry for off topic. 

3 hours ago, Forbin said:

Is that not some kind of insult ?

You said it, you decide. Why are you expecting others to know how you meant something all while assuming my response then is of course meant as insult??? It makes no sense. Also I only told you to follow your own advice, since your comment was pretty idiotic to be honest because capitals used to be the main place to hunt if you didn't want to sail for hours to find PvP. So people that used their grey matter actually went to capitals and not the opposite. I hope the irony of it isn't lost on you...

4 hours ago, Forbin said:

Well, you have your vision of the game, I have mine and we won't agree.

Yeah, also discussing it won't have any impact on the game or its mechanics anyways, as we have seen time and time again...  have a good day, Sir.

10 hours ago, Slim Jimmerson said:

Because PVP arena goes against the whole MMO aspect of NA. Do the right thing and give us OW PVP missions, don't cut corners on OW. This is exactly why NA and NAL are separate games

Ok. So easy access to action and plenty of battles are not good in your eyes? Im not question the realism in battles. I just like the PvP server to actually have more PvP. A lot more. Maybe we should make PvE servers with some very limited areas of multiplayers for your kind of players, so the rest of us can have fun on a day to day basis instead of a battle once a week or so? 

18 minutes ago, fox2run said:

Ok. So easy access to action and plenty of battles are not good in your eyes? Im not question the realism in battles. I just like the PvP server to actually have more PvP. A lot more. Maybe we should make PvE servers with some very limited areas of multiplayers for your kind of players, so the rest of us can have fun on a day to day basis instead of a battle once a week or so? 

Seriously, if the idea is that there is not enough PvP... Explain how removing over half the current low population is going to increase it?

Every single MMO game I have played in has had some unrestricted combat server.  And it is always a tiny fraction of the more balanced servers.  The solution (and for a game with a very narrow appeal doubly true) is to have a broad, balanced game that offers compelling game play for a variety of players.

Edited by IndianaGeoff
  • Like 2

Becourse we need to park the community that wants "real time simulator sailing lets build one a ship a months and we dont like pvp battles" somewhere. They kill everything with their approach and if you argue for a more dynamic game with accessible gameplay like we had in the past with lots of players online they just state that NAL is the place for you to go. So why not ged rid of those guy once in for all and take the PVP server back? PVP means player versus player, remember? 

I just want to point out, again, for people that can't seem to grasp that safe zones, or the size in the game, are not entirely without historical basis:

It was quite common for trading vessels to sail along the coastline of Europe under the protection of powerful shore batteries and protection flotillas of gunboats and non-rates in major ports. 

I agree that the insta-sanit mechanic of the reinforcement zones is dumb as f*, but there are ways to tweak the safe zone mechanic without eliminating them. (I.E. reintroduce gunboats to the game and spawn 5 or 10 into the battle armed with large cannon or carronades for reinforcements if within x distance of port, increase the range and number of shore batteries in these areas along the coastlines, tweak range to a min distance along the coast if just batteries are present and then increase the range around ports on a sliding scale that correlates to port size, etc).

Edited by BPHick

On 11/27/2017 at 2:53 AM, Slim Jimmerson said:

I disagree, safezones are waay too big and there's too many of them.

The problem is actually that the ports in the safe zones are identical to the ports outside of safe zones. 10% tax is next to nothing, resources are the same, you can buy rare woods in protected ports and so on. There is no reason to leave the safe zones for 99% of the time.

Another reason to avoid PVP is the lack of rewards one side gets for it. In NAL you get rewarded for losing, and there you don't even need to replace your ship, cannons and repairs, you just click battle again and get another one. Which is why I don't see NA OW being a game much longer anyways, it is very clear where we're being steered towards. The last two major patches were exclusively adding content that will have a place in Legends.

Lastly, there's a severe lack of curated PVP. We currently only have two types of curated PVP, one player created, one created by the game (and I'm not sure if the latter even generates PVP anymore at this point). For RVR you however need a significant number of players online now, enough to overcome getting reinforced in a battle against 10 first rates. RVR related PVP has been completely ruined by the huge amount of PVE required for this now.

Either you sail out on your own for PVP (which is not why a lot of people play Multiplayer games) and hope for a suitable opponent, or you sail out with a hostility capable force. If you sail out with a group anywhere between that, you'll get no fights at all, 90% guaranteed.

Also, the map might just be too large for 400 players...

12 hours ago, Quineloe said:

The problem is actually that the ports in the safe zones are identical to the ports outside of safe zones. 10% tax is next to nothing, resources are the same, you can buy rare woods in protected ports and so on. There is no reason to leave the safe zones for 99% of the time.

Also, the map might just be too large for 400 players...

No disrespect but the problem is that nearly the entire US coast is a big fat safe zone. We use to have PVP off the wall prior to safe zones, suspiciously all of it disappeared since then and we're left scratching our heads when the answer is very obvious, the CAREBEARS are taking OUR PVP!

Jokes aside, I propose a solution

5a2cfa52ec878_ifthereeverwasasolution.png.7f12565444a7624ae83041971910cd00.png

Edited by Slim Jimmerson

7 hours ago, IndianaGeoff said:

Still does not answer the question.  Explain how getting rid of over half the players on the server will result in more PvP?

Ged rid of hundred boredommers and gain 2000 players looking for naval ACTION is a good bargain in my book... ;-)

Just now, fox2run said:

Ged rid of hundred boredommers and gain 2000 players looking for naval ACTION is a good bargain in my book... ;-)

I like those odds. Currently PVP Global is officially dead with no signs of recovery, 80 players average that could just barely fill a Squad match. Something substantial needs to happen for sure, not just new UI.

I'd say Localization Language might help.

I say the best bet is to get the Americas population up to life.

With so many US/CAN/SA/SEA/OCEANIA players, what the hell happened to the 24/7 server ?...

Bring your buddies back, invite new ones. Populate it. 

1) make combat easy to get  - longer joning times or some kind of a match system maybe build in the fleets that sails around. Maybe rethink the combat arena when a battle occur. Is land more important than reinforcements/distance?

2) make losses forgivable. Multi duras worked fine. When you killed multi duras, you gave the last nails in the coffin. 

3) make content for single players. Their efforts should matter as much as clans. Single players are the basics in any game. Clans, hard-cores etc. evolve from single players having a blast. Not the other way around. Regain that belonging to a nation the single player had.

4) return to previus combat system with limited repairs equal for all. Easy to grasp - hard to master.

5) Do not EVER NEVER under ANY cirumstances make an asset wipe. Wipes makes players leave for good. Finally got that 1st line at your disposal? Never mind - we just deleted it and piss on your hard working effort for the last half a year!

6) Good games are simple to play but hard to master. This needs more balancing. Return to some of the earliest virtues when the game launched back in 2016. It was a lot more fun back then. You listened too much to whiners and complainers when they felt cheated in an "unrealistic battle". Its a game not a simulator. If you want a simulator make one. This is not it. And luckily so. An age of sail simulator would be a bore.

7) Make content open for all. Clans will always be there. Single players should be able to join in port battles and have access to 1st rates as well. Too much grnd kills player base.

8) new content is great but only if the game is living and fun in its basic. You are making a game with the title NAVAL ACTION - remember?

9) PvP server is for players that like multiplayer battles. How can we have plenty of those? Not by making one restriction after another to please the traders or the PvEers... Sorry - but the whole approach has been a mistake. Bring back a easy-to-get-pvp-battles-environment. Its about your last chance now...

kind regards and with best of wishes

fox2run

26 minutes ago, Hethwill said:

With so many US/CAN/SA/SEA/OCEANIA players, what the hell happened to the 24/7 server ?...

The current game doesn't promote...well gameplay. Where's the self sustaining OW PVP? We get 5 kills a night. People want people to fight and things to fight over or else you're just playing legends with OW.

This game doesn't have bosses, dungeons, magic floating castles. PVE will never be fun enough to warrant an entire MMO

Edited by Slim Jimmerson

3 hours ago, fox2run said:

So let me get this right.  2000 people that would play Naval Action don't because there are a few dozen players in safe zones.

Yea, keep selling that bud.

The goal for this games Dev is pretty clear.  Increase content, test it and get the darn game into a real beta with no wipes after.  You might get people back, but even those will just be around for a while since they are somewhat bored with the game.  You have to attract new players with marketing and keep them with a progression of content (PvE with risk) around PvP.

Old players are tired of waiting for Beta and Release.  They know the game and are not going to invest in it until it is "for real".  They may not return even then.

I think ship building is about right.  It hurts to lose a ship without it being devastating.  Lower the number of slots and the grind.  That lowers the perceived reward of PvE.  Honestly, I am one of those.  I have spent the past period grinding the ships I sail up to 4 slots and it takes up a lot of my time.

1 minute ago, IndianaGeoff said:

So let me get this right.  2000 people that would play Naval Action don't because there are a few dozen players in safe zones.

Yea, keep selling that bud.

The goal for this games Dev is pretty clear.  Increase content, test it and get the darn game into a real beta with no wipes after.  You might get people back, but even those will just be around for a while since they are somewhat bored with the game.  You have to attract new players with marketing and keep them with a progression of content (PvE with risk) around PvP.

Old players are tired of waiting for Beta and Release.  They know the game and are not going to invest in it until it is "for real".  They may not return even then.

I think ship building is about right.  It hurts to lose a ship without it being devastating.  Lower the number of slots and the grind.  That lowers the perceived reward of PvE.  Honestly, I am one of those.  I have spent the past period grinding the ships I sail up to 4 slots and it takes up a lot of my time.

They dont play becourse there are no action to get. Yes. It is this simple. A battle-game without a battle. NAVAL ACTION without ACTION. 

1 hour ago, Hethwill said:

The Global server went toxic when too much experience was in one faction.  You kill Oceania nightly with the server reboot.  Stop ruining their play time every prime time and figure out how to keep the server running.  Or reboot it during Europe's primetime.  They have a server.

Inviting buddies back is hard since we don't interact outside the game.  Your next marketing opportunity is the Beta release with no wipe after it.  But you are not ready for that.  You need more content.