Game-Labs Forum

It's time, go to release.

Combat works.  Open world works.  Crafting works.  You have tested different server events with rewards.  Take what you have learned, set up the Beta world, do the wipe, get the final tweaks tested and get to release as quickly as possible.

Port battles in real ports is about the only thing left other than a real UI.

Go for it.

9 minutes ago, IndianaGeoff said:

Combat works.  Open world works.  Crafting works.  You have tested different server events with rewards.  Take what you have learned, set up the Beta world, do the wipe, get the final tweaks tested and get to release as quickly as possible.

Port battles in real ports is about the only thing left other than a real UI.

Go for it.

Combat works.

We will see how the new Events effect open world.

Crafting will be reworked

The global Event was considered a failure by many, not sure how thats enough testing.

Portbattles are dogshit right now. Hostility system needs tweaks and testing.

Raids are promised and have to be implemented.

UI needs work.

• Like 6

Yes, that is why development on new features needs to be cut way back and the game finished.  All the bones for a great game are there.  But if it spends another year in it's current state, it might be stillborn.

Fix what needs fixed, add the missing User Interface pieces, get Port Battles to the end state, set up events based on what you have learned and get it into beta as soon as possible. 

• Like 1

On 12/5/2016 at 9:56 PM, IndianaGeoff said:

Yes, that is why development on new features needs to be cut way back and the game finished.  All the bones for a great game are there.  But if it spends another year in it's current state, it might be stillborn.

Fix what needs fixed, add the missing User Interface pieces, get Port Battles to the end state, set up events based on what you have learned and get it into beta as soon as possible. 

What you're saying is totally contradictory. Finishing the game literally means "developing new features".  The game is in alpha, which is when new features are added and tested. Once it's feature-complete, then it's put into beta, and only bug fixes and balancing are done. What you are saying is to "go to beta", not release.

Fixing what needs to be fixed is for the beta stage. Adding the missing UI is what's done in alpha. Getting PBs working is also alpha work. Going to beta isn't possible without all the new features put in. Further, there's no tutorial, no documentation, etc.

2 hours ago, Ted Nougat said:

What you're saying is totally contradictory. Finishing the game literally means "developing new features".  The game is in alpha, which is when new features are added and tested. Once it's feature-complete, then it's put into beta, and only bug fixes and balancing are done. What you are saying is to "go to beta", not release.

Fixing what needs to be fixed is for the beta stage. Adding the missing UI is what's done in alpha. Getting PBs working is also alpha work. Going to beta isn't possible without all the new features put in. Further, there's no tutorial, no documentation, etc.

The question is why? I why rush it?  why put it out now? Why not wait till everything is 100%?

• 2 weeks later...

In terms of why... slightly away from topic (sorry) but related - I play a little less than I would like as I don't wish to invest too much time into my skills and crafting prior to a total wipe. 

I've had some useful feedback on this off-line, but I am still not clear if the assumption is correct that the commercial go-live wipe will not delete all of our (testers) accumulated skills, wealth, crafting and ships,,,,

I'm currently playing another MMO in alpha and they recently went 'persistent' (i.e. no character or property wipes going forwards..) and the game feels very different, more satisfying and immersive and the regular player base has increased.

I guess the key to this depends on where are the Devs are with potentially game changing/breaking major features? If it's all primarily all in place and the rest is interface, art polish, and tweaks, even some additional features, then going to persistence/go live isn't a major issue.

Would be interested in some thoughts. 

9 hours ago, steevodeevo said:

I've had some useful feedback on this off-line, but I am still not clear if the assumption is correct that the commercial go-live wipe will not delete all of our (testers) accumulated skills, wealth, crafting and ships,,,,

The only thing we are promised we will keep when the game goes live is our Rank and Crafting level.  You won't loose that.  All wealth, ships, BP's will be gone.  Well or what ever they decide will be gone.  I would assume they will give us some redeemables to help start up the new econ in the game and maybe some gift for our hard work of helping them as testers.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

The game needs the interface and a script to follow .... players are lost because many parts of the game seem doesn't work properly or are boring. Please developers, you should create a characters for every player, so that the players become to have a plan to do, a final target in the game ... For example...to grow as a military man, as a crafter, as a merchant, or bussinesman, as a crafter, to create own haciendas and each player will have his house or land in the Caribbean. In this way

45 minutes ago, Anne Wildcat said:

There needs to be a tutorial too. For now it's fine but on release you don't want new players logging in, seeing the port screen, and have no idea what to do. 

I think one of the biggest gripes new players have is that they've no idea what to do. Manual sailing, fully crewing ships, and even navigation takes time to get used to, and many new players don't even bother to check the forums. 

• Like 1

On 1/3/2017 at 0:12 PM, SirSamuelHood said:

I think one of the biggest gripes new players have is that they've no idea what to do. Manual sailing, fully crewing ships, and even navigation takes time to get used to, and many new players don't even bother to check the forums. 

When I started a year ago the issue I had was what do I do in the game as a whole not how to control a ship, crews, etc. Most of that I was taught by others when I asked people for help. I agree however, an accessible official starters guide would be beneficial.

I do think the game is coming towards the end of its alpha phase. Not anytime soon however. Lot of wrinkles needing to be smoothed out. 

Edited by PolishMartyr