Game-Labs Forum

Likes and dislikes of new patch

New ROE meaning death of small scale PvP and anything that isn't 25v25 PvP

are we playing same game?

It is ganking heaven.

Ofcoz in capital waters were activity is high u cant gank, but sail away from home waters and u are fair game.

Like :

Crew damage feels fine after the hotfix.

Forts are neat and bring some more life to the isles.

No more euro trader to finally get a player-driven economy started.

Dislike:

Ships in shops not being 'safe' - Yes they were sold, but I had 4 or 5 first rates in there at high prices because I was out of dock space elsewhere, and while the money would be fine pre-patch it's the price of a single 1st rate in the post-patch economy. Big loss. Don't mind the solution and understandable why it couldn't be told what you were going to do, but sucks after all attempts to figure out what's safe and what isn't in the port wipe.

Still no way to get the BPs from the last patch, would be nice for more than 0.01% of the server to be able to craft those.

Preventing hostility buildup seems to be virtually impossible (PvE fleets + missions + deliveries+PvP for attackers vs only PvP for defenders, night flipping when no defenders are around e.t.c.), will see more of that once more contested regions are fought for.

Edited by Guest

Crew kill is way out of hand. Was raked twice by 1 AI and lost half my crew in a Santi. And as far as I know, AI never changes shot type, so 500+ crew were killed with ball from only 2 rakes. This is excessive.

Also, only one lineship I have has a full crew to run guns and sails. line ships are always undercrewed without MC or EX hammocks.

There is such a region? Where?

I mean - does anyone knows the different regions yet?

you can see the regions in the map just mousing over a port. They're also show on the port map they released awhile ago.

Something I don't like about the map is the port info overlay needs to be transparent so we can still see the map behind it and the regions highlighted.

The game's features cannot be designed around an underpopulated server. Lack of targets is caused by lack of targets.

PvP 2 just needs more players.

You dont even know the conversation do you? No you dont, youre just trolling me as always but at least now youre being watched.

I made a point then the other person you are blindly supporting against me without knowing whatvwas said told me i was wrong because HE has seen lots of players from nations THAT HAVE NO PLAYERS ON MY SERVER and I simply told him hes not on my server.

He was wrong and so are you. Toss off and troll elsewhere.

I am seriously pissed off, no warning that it was going live so I have lost my exe vic cos some dumb plonker decides its time to screw us over. Nice move Naval Action, you must be really pleased to have effectively wasted peoples money in buying this game.

How exactly did you loose it?  As other said there was plenty of warning and well if you left in a now enemy port there are ways around getting it out.

I'm liking many of the changes, but one thing I think is a little OP is the towers around ports.  We watched them sink a trader in a blink of an eye and take down a 1st rate in not much more time.  I get the reason for them, but they might need to be toned down a bit.   They should be more a thorn in a side than something that will flat out sink you before you can get away from them.   I was tagged in my Trader Brig just before I entered a port.  Well the tower sunk me before either of us got sails fully up and moving.  There wasn't a single shot fired by the guy that tagged me and he didn't get ship or cargo.   I wasn't pissed about the tag as I prob could of got away from him or even loosing the ship, but by how fast It went down. I had half water and no armor after about 3-4 shots (prob was more).  Having 60 something cannons is a bit to much specially when they all fire at once upon you and seem to be way more powerfull than any guns we have.   We tested this out by tagging a fleet close to our port and watched the port guns just destroy the NPC SOL ships in no time.  

There is such a region? Where?

I mean - does anyone knows the different regions yet?

7 ports have this as something you can make buildings of.  There are a few sources out there that allows you to search this.

Dislike it.Material weights are crazy and coupled with the nerf on Cargo space for the Indiaman it makes Trade Missions ridiculous.To take 500 French Livres to PR would take around 4 to 5 Trips of over 800 Nm each way!I am not prepared to sit at my computer for hours on end travelling back and forth to complete a mission to get some much needed gold.I do like the Trading tool but it needs some more refinement,maybe have a "regional" Filter so you can find Materials close to you rather than having to go through the whole list.I havent tried the Combat changes yet so cant comment.

The patch is quite cool and I like to test ist, but...

the biggest dislike is the zero seconds closing of battles. This is heaven for gankers. We followed two pirate ships after they turned away from us as they realized that we are not an easy prey like they thougt. So we ware runnig them down and even a little time before we were able to get them they tagged a single ship from a player to get rid of us. I mean come on, it was hard enough to get to an running PvP battle with 2 minutes-timers but this instant-close is something realy unconfortable thing for PvP.

Infact our clan decided to go for PvE for the rest of the evening because we decided it's not worth the time to search for PvP battles like this.

Edited by Jonathan Arlington

Not a fan of the instant close battles, either.

I've grown accustomed to the two circle system and don't mind it, but I think there should still be a short (two minutes is ok) window for other players to join in. Kind of lame to not be able to help out a friendly because of being barely outside of a circle at battle start. Also feels like it's removed some tactical play out of the equation. Using a fast ship to get an opponent tagged and pulled into battle, then having slower ships catch up and join has lost some viability. Shouldn't have people locked out of a fight because someone defensive tagged. The success of that defensive tag should be decided in the battle itself, not because of an instant lock out mechanic.

• Like 1

How exactly did you loose it?  As other said there was plenty of warning and well if you left in a now enemy port there are ways around getting it out.

I'm liking many of the changes, but one thing I think is a little OP is the towers around ports.  We watched them sink a trader in a blink of an eye and take down a 1st rate in not much more time.  I get the reason for them, but they might need to be toned down a bit.   They should be more a thorn in a side than something that will flat out sink you before you can get away from them.   I was tagged in my Trader Brig just before I entered a port.  Well the tower sunk me before either of us got sails fully up and moving.  There wasn't a single shot fired by the guy that tagged me and he didn't get ship or cargo.   I wasn't pissed about the tag as I prob could of got away from him or even loosing the ship, but by how fast It went down. I had half water and no armor after about 3-4 shots (prob was more).  Having 60 something cannons is a bit to much specially when they all fire at once upon you and seem to be way more powerfull than any guns we have.   We tested this out by tagging a fleet close to our port and watched the port guns just destroy the NPC SOL ships in no time.  

7 ports have this as something you can make buildings of.  There are a few sources out there that allows you to search this.

Are you saying the forts sank a friendly ship?

I like exceptional ships being harder to make.  That was needed.

I don't like that it is EXTREMELY difficult to get the special woods, and the silver/gold and all the mats at the same time.

Make the woods stay the same but step down the difficulty of getting gold and silver a bit so that upgrades are still possible.  Common mats should be very easy to get all over the place and let the increased shipping weight be the limiting factor.

It should be...

Very easy to build a grey ship.  (currently too hard with mat availability and silver/gold for frigate and above).

Not too hard to craft an upgrade.  (Silver is too hard to find)

Harder but still very dooable to build a green or blue ship. (lower the special woods a bit.  Make it very possible by capping traders.  One trader haul with a fine material is plenty to craft a green/blue)

Hard to get a master and near impossible to craft a gold.  (probably as hard as it needs to be but you could make it a bit tougher... more woods needed, add in gold or exotic materials).

Keep in mind, good players who are dedicated are going to roll up alts and farm the good materials.  You can't stop that.  If you make the power divide too wide, then they will destroy everyone else and the casual players will drop the game.

Overall, these changes are incredible.  Thanks for implementing

Like:

- Strategically positioned critical resources.  This is amazing, and will revolutionize strategy and nation dynamics.

- Adding another layer to crafting

-Hostility system:  Gives everyone something to do, every single hour of the day, in furtherance of the national cause.  Uh-maze-ing.  Game changing and in a very good way.

-Opening up the economy to be more player centric.

-Forts protecting coasts.  Soo neat.

-Regional crafting bonuses to entice players away from capitals and freeports. 

Dislike: 

-The confusing number of irrelevant items that show up in a port as resources. Dutch Chocolate,  Danish Strawberry Pastries, American Cashmere Smoking Jackets.  Ok fine, two of those are made up.  But do we really need that much confusion and clutter for a few trading items that traders to buy low sell high?  Don't think they otherwise serve a function.  Can they at least get a new tab like "trader junk?"  I still think players should be making money from other players, not the AI. Harvest and haul fine wood or precious metals.  You'll get rich.  Fast. 

-Resource production not showing on the map.

-The supposed end of the ship upgrade that is coming.  Those things are fun to find and play with your ship fitting a little.  Nice little sub economy too. Not sure why they need to come out of the game.

Reserving Judgement:  Port battles.  Need to spend more time considering and participating in.

im honestly quite satisfied with most of this patch

my only problem is i dont have enough time to get materials, to make ships, other than that i dont mind the new "fine" wood types, and i beleive that all the new rescources make sense for all the guys that do nothing but trade.

crew loss with raking and what not is nice tbh, i havent lost any substanial amount of crew during fight because im not retarded giving my stern to anything with a cannon, it forces you to be more aware of the enemies movements, and keep them from destroying you.

• Like 1

Dislikes:

Crafting:

I guess I wasted my time becoming a level 50 crafter. Upgrades are extremely difficult now due to scarcity of silver (unless you're lucky enough to be in a nation that has the stuff). Building a ship above basic now needs unobtainium (aka fine woods). I set up a couple of plantations and on the second day some fine wood dropped from them, but NO fine wood in the last 2 days. Sailing around looking for a port that has some or capping traders hoping to get some is a pain. I guess the devs are hoping we'll give up on crafting our own ships and sail in plastic ones or single dura ships we capped from an opponent...

Port battles:

I really dislike the new mechanism of needing to build hostility. Then the battle is advertised for two days before it happens giving defenders time to get a huge defense fleet together. If realism (supposed an objective of the devs) is really and objective, since when did attacking fleets advertise their intentions for a duration prior to battle????  Maybe the old flag system wasn't great, but I don't much like the new system either.

Larger tag circles:

Ya gotta be really careful about tagging someone lest you pull in a 25 ship ai fleet of their friends. This is cool if someone tags you carelessly, but not so cool otherwise. I don't like the instant closure of a non-noob battle. This is especially interesting if it's happening around Shroud Cay where the noob and non-noob zones meet. Which zone is that enemy ai fleet occupying?

Fleet battles:

Leaving a fleet battle open for an extended period makes one think twice about running a fleet mission without having a huge fleet of your own. Just when you're all beaten up, and bunch of enemy ships pop into the battle...

Basically the world got stood on its head in the quest for realism. Well, what can I say?  Realism ain't being able to teleport ships from one place to another. It's not being able to send ships from end of battle to a port and not having to put crew on them (or have them actually sail where they could be subject to capture)? It's not having multi-dura ships so that when you kiill and enemy off your coast, he immediately pops back out in the same ship looking to return the favor. Its's certainly not having what appear to be tall, adobe buildings in Georgia or the Carolina's, not is it having a temporal mix of ships. I think the quest for realism is hurting the playability of the game.

I don't particularly like this patch.

Modo

I like,

Forts. Huge saving grace to gank-ees to be able to flee for the coastal batteries.

New ROE mechanic. Its easy to tag a trader around his friends and capture him before his buddies can arrive. You just have to learn how wind works.

Rarer resources. Its getting people out of their home ports, and that's a good thing.

I dislike.

PB login camping. http://forum.game-labs.net/index.php?/topic/17089-solution-to-all-log-out-log-in-ow-abuses/

The only BP I dont have is the Victory , I am making my second Purple Pavel tonite and hope it drops , would be nice to at least see some of the rare woods for sale 

at some ports soon . Does the color of the ship help the odds of the BP drop ???