Game-Labs Forum

Using battle screen to practice sailing

Following numerous recommendations when I ve finished a battle I will often spend up to half an hour practising manual sailing and tacking. There has been a lot of talk about imposing time limits on remaining in battle screen.Having this time to train has been invaluable and currently there is no other way to practice.I would hope time limits won t be imposed without giving us a training area where we could hone our lack of skills.

• Like 4

This is not only an excellent way to practice manual sails (learn to turn faster both upwind and downwind, not just to get "out of irons") but also, if you take several buddies into a fleet mission, to practice and teach the junior commanders how to sail in formation.  Many have not had the chance to learn how to lead and to follow, how to sail as a military unit instead of a swarm of un-coordinated individuals, and how to concentrate fire on the most powerful target first and to work together to "cover your buddies back".

Facility with Teamspeak is especially important.  While sailing, maneuvering, aiming and being sure you don't "miss your shot" ... reading and typing is a bridge too far.  Learn to accept a "commodore," follow his/her direction, acknowledge guidance, not "chatter" in battle and then take your turn "running the play".   Practice makes perfect, and knowing "the drill" makes it second nature when the adrenaline is pumping and a Pirate Frigate is "on your six" trying to take down a mast.

~ HK ~ 

Yankee Trader 

US Coast Guard Militia

PvP One EU

• Like 3

The focus on competition is extreme in this game.  Please do not impose a timer on the battle screen.  Or if it must be done please allow unlimited time in the PvE server.  There many limits imposed that cater only to competitive combat.  It is removing opportunities to just enjoy the game.

One could also imagine in the future "tutorial missions" one could get in port with no AI opponent at all from the beginning.

They'd be closed from the beginning.

They would allow ship testing, practising manual sailing, exploring areas at real-time speed.

Time limits could be added only to "combat instances" (current missions and OW fights).

• Like 1

It's up to Dev's to create a battle room/ training room get rid of in battle screen hiding once and for all 5min to sort goods out, take pictures, bio breaks make a snack. If you log in battle screen you lose a officer life and dura and if we go to one dura you lose ship. It's enough time if you crash to get yourself back on and exit battle screen. IMO.

When I first used a mortar brig, I did this.  I 'jumped' an innocent trader and just used the battle to practice using the mortar brig and focusing on a rock on the coastline to gauge accuracy from different distances (as the trader just would not stay still for some reason).

• Like 1

There seems to be a 15 minute timer in the battle instance. Then you are kicked to battle screen. Battle screen itself has no timer to kick you to open sea. This is bad because this way people can hide in the battle screen for unlimited time to avoid hunters.

There seems to be a 15 minute timer in the battle instance. Then you are kicked to battle screen. Battle screen itself has no timer to kick you to open sea. This is bad because this way people can hide in the battle screen for unlimited time to avoid hunters.

People can just log out in battle screen as well, no matter the timer.