Game-Labs Forum

Hi there.

I would like to suggest the implementation of a feature that adds a bit of content to manual sailing, the ability to manually select which sails you set.

For example, say you want to sail the Lynx as a fore and aft schooner and not set the square topsail. This would allow the boat to sail closer to the wind. Without the square topsail set however, this could affect the boat's sail balance which would cause the helm to tend to drift to a direction.

SO, the sails you set would affect sail balance and the user (if he or she decides to select sails to set manually) would need to keep in mind which sails are set and how it would affect the boat's overall balance.

Personally, I think this would open up a whole new challenge to the game which I am sure some players would welcome. Others however I am sure would not like the ability to have the ability to choose which sails are set. This would require a button which would switch on this mode.

The button could open up a menu with all the sails laid out so one could just simply click which sails to set. 

Would love to see what people think about this idea!

• Like 6

Topsail schooners like Lynx can generally brace their square topsail up sharp enough so that it is useful on a close-hauled course.

For square riggers, square sails are rarely furled in favor of fore-and-aft canvas.

I know schooners like the Lynx can brace very sharp. Just was using her as an example mostly. 

...and on top I'd love to have the option to save 'my' sail settings as I desire for each ship individually and replace the default ones with them.

The ability to save sail settings would be very nice and convenient! 

Hi there.

I would like to suggest the implementation of a feature that adds a bit of content to manual sailing, the ability to manually select which sails you set.

For example, say you want to sail the Lynx as a fore and aft schooner and not set the square topsail. This would allow the boat to sail closer to the wind. Without the square topsail set however, this could affect the boat's sail balance which would cause the helm to tend to drift to a direction.

SO, the sails you set would affect sail balance and the user (if he or she decides to select sails to set manually) would need to keep in mind which sails are set and how it would affect the boat's overall balance.

Personally, I think this would open up a whole new challenge to the game which I am sure some players would welcome. Others however I am sure would not like the ability to have the ability to choose which sails are set. This would require a button which would switch on this mode.

The button could open up a menu with all the sails laid out so one could just simply click which sails to set. 

Would love to see what people think about this idea!

I think your idea is great, I really do, so don't get me wrong but I wouldn't want this.  Here's why: simply put I aint a sailor, nor do I want to learn how to sail.  I don't care about all the intricacies of sailing.  I bought the game because it's war and trade in the age of sail, and because it's a beautifully made game.  But I'd rather have the game choose actually how to sail for me.  I love: go fast, slow down, go left, go right.  We do have manual sails in combat to a degree, and I know how to use them and think ATM that is sufficient and enough of a challenge or asset.  I could be persuaded otherwise though and I do like your idea, just don't want this to grow into a sailing simulator. ;)

Edited by Jean Ribault

Those two things are not incompatible :)

The current Slow/Battle/../ sail settings could remain but instead of being the only possible sail configuration, they could be presets for the ship and you can change them if you are so inclined

(and if you like a particular ship so much that you don't mind endless fiddling with the sails to get it just right)

Another dimension of the game, but with very little objective gains: people are hunting for the best modules to get a one or two percent improvement. Sail optimization could be another route to maximize the ship's potential, but it would be driven by players, not random item drops.

• Like 1

I know schooners like the Lynx can brace very sharp. Just was using her as an example mostly. 

But the example only applies to the likes or Lync or Pickle (maybe the brigs).

The game's full-rigged ships would keep all their square canvas lying when sailing upwind, and only use staysails on a case-by-case basis.

This would make even more sense if the wind strenght would be variable and the resulting load on the masts is simulated. I think both things go hand in hand.

If the wind strength would be modelled then we would see a massive change in game especially regarding the lighter ships versus the big ones and sometimes the opposite. The dynamics of combat would change as much as they did when land was introduced imo.

• Like 1

All things being said, this game is not a sailing simulator.

There are a lot of different factors in rig balance, wind shadowing, etc. that occur when certain sails are furled or set.  To actually try to model the effects of individual sails on each ship would be way out of the scope of this game IMO.

Though I like the idea, it would be a hell of work on the coding side. The effect of every single sail in every possible reef and position to the wind would have to be coded, balanced and tested.

The game would go alive in 2020 then I guess.

By now I am fine with the current situation, though some balancing should be done, so that fighting should be done under battle sails, since the sails might start to burn from the own gunfire when the main sails are set.