Game-Labs Forum

DEV's can you just Tweak things instead ?

Hey Guys good job trying to get New things out for OW..but

You Guys(DEV's) need to work on just Tweaking some of the changes you make. Instead of going from 1 Extreme to another....

TWEAK  =  A Small Adjustment

Here is a good example:

SEALED BOTTLES

1) Sealed bottles came out and most (Shipwrecks) were a good distance away from where you opened them..But usually in the same area so some enemies would camp out in these areas...

By doing this you made players venture into areas that they normally would not go and promoted some PVP. ( A good thing IMO)

I guess Some Players Complained that the distance was too far ? or in the same spot/area every time.

2) So you made Shipwrecks very close to where you opened them.  killing any PVP and made it way to easy to get Gold Mods

3) Now we are back to huge travel ranges (up From long distances) but now at more random locations.  I opened a bottle around ATWOOD and had to sail almost to Panama

This is an example of the Extreme Swings you guys do

How about JUST TWEAKING things.

Like in #1 maybe shorten the distance a little but make the Shipwrecks be more random.

Sometimes your deep in enemy territory some times not    or a small chance you might even end up in safe areas

• Like 2

Hey Guys good job trying to get New things out for OW..but

You Guys(DEV's) need to work on just Tweaking some of the changes you make. Instead of going from 1 Extreme to another....

TWEAK  =  A Small Adjustment

Here is a good example:

SEALED BOTTLES

1) Sealed bottles came out and most (Shipwrecks) were a good distance away from where you opened them..But usually in the same area so some enemies would camp out in these areas...

By doing this you made players venture into areas that they normally would not go and promoted some PVP. ( A good thing IMO)

I guess Some Players Complained that the distance was too far ? or in the same spot/area every time.

2) So you made Shipwrecks very close to where you opened them.  killing any PVP and made it way to easy to get Gold Mods

No

Please dont take bugs for features and vice versa. 

Initial bottle distribution was a bug

New bottle distribution was a partial fix of a bug 

final bottle distribution is how it was supposed to be in the first place

But now you mind is anchored to a first bug and because you liked it more you like it more. 

• Like 3

It feels about right, how it is now. I think the bottle drop rate was adjusted in the last patch as well? I've noticed I'm no longer picking up bottles faster than I can open them.

Random locations, random reasons to visit random ports near shipwrecks. It gets people moving around the map and that is a very good thing, and should be the purpose of the bottle drops in the first place.

The only thing I would suggest is the bottles way out in the middle of the Atlantic ocean should eventually be done away with. Those do nothing to promote PVP and it's unlikely you'd salvage a shipwreck in deep water.

Edited by ajffighter86
  • Like 1

Im not fine with it as a player who cant get onto the game and sit there for 3 hours to get over to where it has spawned my wreck, i picked up the bottle around pedro cay and its put the wreck up at Selam, I dont want it to go back to how it was before but seriously it would take me 3 nights to get over there logging out at sea, I dont have time to throw into this for 3 hours straight anymore so I miss out on large chunks of the game purely because of the way it is designed, I would like to suggest a happy balance between hardcore purists who want to sail for days to reach a port and those of us who have to work and do other things that mean we cant spend our whole time on here.

• Like 1

Im not fine with it as a player who cant get onto the game and sit there for 3 hours to get over to where it has spawned my wreck, i picked up the bottle around pedro cay and its put the wreck up at Selam, I dont want it to go back to how it was before but seriously it would take me 3 nights to get over there logging out at sea, I dont have time to throw into this for 3 hours straight anymore so I miss out on large chunks of the game purely because of the way it is designed, I would like to suggest a happy balance between hardcore purists who want to sail for days to reach a port and those of us who have to work and do other things that mean we cant spend our whole time on here.

I don't think bottles are meant to be a 'large chunk of the game.'

Prior to the fishing/bottle patch, the large part of the game was sailing for hours to get to a battle anyway. At least with the shipwrecks, you have more than one reason to sail across the map. They are supposed to get people out of their capitals and interacting with the rest of the players on the map, and I don't think they were doing that when they spawned shipwrecks 2 grids away.

My humble suggestion is to spread out your outposts in free towns. I play as the USA and I made it a determined effort to open an outpost near the Dutch capital, just in case I got one of those weird shipwreck spawns. I didn't do all of that in one sitting, of course. it took time to make such a trip and I fought some battles along the way. The shipwrecks are just supplementary gameplay and really are not a requirement. They should be considered as 'something to do' rather than 'something to strive towards'.

You don't have to open or travel to a single wreck, believe it or not. Added content should not be taken as core gameplay.

• Like 2

No

Please dont take bugs for features and vice versa. 

Initial bottle distribution was a bug

New bottle distribution was a partial fix of a bug 

final bottle distribution is how it was supposed to be in the first place

But now you mind is anchored to a first bug and because you liked it more you like it more.

To pick up the stuff from a wreck and sail back takes 3h real time. Regarding the reward this is way too long.

Speaking of a bug... The drop rate of bottles were adjusted 2 times. The first time with notification, it was raised. The second time (current status) it was lowered big time without notification. I would like to see an Exploration on this one.

do u guys remember months ago when everythink was ok with mission rewards? i mean good money and exp scaling between ranks...

someone cried a lot cause for him the rewards were too low, and devs just make them X4 ... from about 5000 of devil mission to over 20k and doubled the exp gain.

so another baby start to cry regarding too high rewards of mission, and devs make them flat reward of 5k for all ranks... i mean thief missions reward =  curse mission 1??? dunno why all this EXTREME changes between 1 patch and another. and this is not the only case...

• Like 2

While I'm fine with the bottles the way they are, I'm curious what you consider core gameplay

I will not be wrong trying to echo the thoughts of many.

Naval Action is a fitting title. Primary core activity...action...combat...smoke...guns...

OK......

The Devs need to make up their minds.  You start fishing and bottle finding and I was getting bottles every 5 to 10 minutes (too much obviously).  Then there is a collective freak out and the bottle thing got shut down.  BIG uproar over that!!!  So bottles came back, not as frequent as the 1st time but they were not rare.  Now the pendulum has swung the other way.  We can fish but can forget about bottles and big fish.  I fished the last 3 days putting in 18+ at sea days, collecting over 1500 units of fishmeat, and found NOT 1 BOTTLE,  NOT 1 BIG FISH.  I sailed far from the home waters to no avail.  I hear that those that do find the rare bottle will have the wreck WAY far away in hostile waters. Obviously we have some "adjustments" going on.  What is going on????   Why not tell us the players the whys and wherefores of what you are trying do to.  I DISLIKE SECRECY.  Honestly, I am not a programmer but I  am SURE I could come up with a better way of handling this fishing/bottle thing.  I have heard that some are afraid that too many gold mods will ruin the market.  That sounds fair.  Just make any mods found ones that cannot be made by the crafters....simple.  OR JUST DO AWAY WITH BOTTLES ALL TOGETHER.  But you need to be honest and upfront.  If you want to encourage exploration say so.  If you feel this should be a mainly PVP game say that.  Let us know and not "Manipulate" the game rules to force the players to do what you want.  If you want my thoughts on how to do the fishing/bottle thing I will gladly give it.

they are trying to find a balance where there is a reason to sail into enemy waters (gold mods etc) and it not being afk fished.

Range to wrecks is one mechanic,  Drop rates is another.   Both have a RNG factor and you were unlucky on bottle drops but as a whole the server is getting them at a set rate.

bear in mind there is zero skill involved in fishing so it is a side minigame and not the reason you should log in.   like icing on a cake.

i am a big hater of fishing as it is but i can see the benefits of people sailing onto foreign waters.  unfortunately they sail in empty and come back full so its only a 50% payoff at best and really the mod is safe as soon as they pick it up so there is limited reason to attack a enemy trader in the middle of nowhere.....its likely to be empty or only have labour contracts and coins for you.  Some people just destroy the coins and TP out with the mod also making it even worse a payoff for a tagger

Edited by Fastidius