Game-Labs Forum

Ability to re-roll

While not a top tier player I have amassed over 200 hours in-game and am well on the way to Post Captain.  I would estimate that over 50% of questions in the Help chat involve changing servers or starting over.  The current inability to completely wipe a character is unacceptable.  I am not looking for ways to move servers (except perhaps between national servers in the event of a domicile move - which should involve dev backend support) but rather if you delete a character, that character should be deleted, period.  You could then start over.  This is a basic gameplay concept and I do not understand why it is not considered essential in any simulation/MMO.  The current system of keeping Rank and XP is probably a bonus for some players but the rank and file clearly want the ability to start again.

• Like 1

Because when you switch server you start with nothing except the basic cutter and you can't do your missions that fit your your rank . Because who wants to fight a 3rd rate with a basic cutter (for example)

But NA isnt all about doing missions so yes why would anyone want to wipe their xp^^

Edited by z4ys

I don't understand. Why would anyone want to wipe their xp?

Because, perhaps, they realized that their whole strategy needs to be re-directed and they wish to start fresh.  That is impossible to do at he moment, and it should be possible. And, as z4ys says, it's hard, if not impossible, to do missions in a basic cutter when you're above 1st Lieutenant (or equivalent).

Because, perhaps, they realized that their whole strategy needs to be re-directed and they wish to start fresh.  That is impossible to do at he moment, and it should be possible. And, as z4ys says, it's hard, if not impossible, to do missions in a basic cutter when you're above 1st Lieutenant (or equivalent).

Switching from a server/faction to another indeed brings the issue of having inadequate missions for a starting ship. But the real solution in this case would be to allow players from taking whatever mission they want and not just the 3 highest.

I also don't understand why someone would want to reset their xp except for the sake of starting all over again with no reason since there is no "binding choices" to make in this game. but meh, if that's really what they want, whatever.

You have a ONE TIME ONLY ( you cannot request it again ever ) chance to request a full wipe of your account from what I have seen written in other threads similar to this. Contact the devs to see it done.

• Like 1

Wow make a mountain out of a mole hill much.

If you can't find a clan that will trade you a ship to get you mission running in return for joining them (even temporarily) then you really need to work on your people skills.

High ranks can waltz in anywhere as 3rd rates are free candy on the high seas and having a Deep port battle capable captain is an asset to any clan.

Lower ranks should be able to sponge off the generosity of grinding crafters or people who help them capture one outside the nation capital.

"they realized that their whole strategy needs to be re-directed and they wish to start fresh"

Is utter garbage, you don't place points in anything that "locks" you into the "bad" build, you don't even keep the same name if you don't want to so bad reputation can't follow you either. Get some people skills and play your MMO game instead of solo sailing simulator 2016.

Edited by MalakithSkadi
  • Like 1

Uh guys, you realize you can do small battles, large battles, cap trade ships, hit NPC small ships, hit player small/trade ships, all solo, at any level, in a Cutter, right? If it takes you more than 2-3 hours to buy an AI Constitution and work your way from there, you are a terrible, terrible player.

This whole thread is a non-issue.

I'm not against having a way to delete your char and start over, but the mission/money issue is not even remotely a valid argument.

It's not about clans, raiding, advancement or (eventually) endgame.  It's about the customers ability to decide what he or she wants to do.  Look at the tried and tested online games out there.  Multiple characters, multiple servers, all unconnected and totally independent.  Locking a player to one character, globally (literally) is, in my opinion, a recipe for mediocrity.  This game is beautiful, but if it is ever going to get to the level of the rivals we all play it needs to provide flexibility to the player base.  A few hundred elitist clans and PVP ers will not sustain the growth needed to be really great.  I'm just saying what I am seeing. @OJ the mission argument is only valid because you are forced to keep your character, you can't delete it at will.  Yes, I know it's an alpha, but if it ever wants to get to beta and beyond, it needs to cater to all, not just First Rate sailing masters of the sea.  Full Sails!

• 3 weeks later...

[/slight necro]

I voted 1 character per account in that thread but I would still like a "reset" button.  If I want to start over from scratch then that's my choice.  It has 0 effect upon your game-play, gimme dey button.  

I also can't see how the handful of us that are interested in re-rolling as new chars can hurt a game in Alpha?  Or does having experienced folks trying out the new player experience somehow diminish it?

Switching from a server/faction to another indeed brings the issue of having inadequate missions for a starting ship. But the real solution in this case would be to allow players from taking whatever mission they want and not just the 3 highest.

I also don't understand why someone would want to reset their xp except for the sake of starting all over again with no reason since there is no "binding choices" to make in this game. but meh, if that's really what they want, whatever.

this.... imho... all previously available missions should stay available, maybe with a BR limitation that OW npc fleet also have... or not, what ever :)

Edited by KittyHawkes

But the real solution in this case would be to allow players from taking whatever mission they want and not just the 3 highest.

This was an idea I had as well. Why not let players do lower level missions? Even if there is no gold or XP rewards they could still capture ships.