Game-Labs Forum

You should get a KILL when you win a boarding action

i believe kill xp should be granted rewarding the risk taken to board but the gold not so much, surely the reward is the ship you have taken as your prize. I believe that if you did gold and xp of a kill it would be abused heavily just to level and make money quicker.

I have no problem with the leveling part but no one would sink ships anymore if there was a gold reward for capture as well as getting the ship. Having said that if people wanted to encourage more boarding and less of the sink as quickly as possible for maximum reward, then a gold reward maybe half the normal kill reward would encourage this.

• Like 3

Perhaps we should wait for Admiralty and prize mechanics, so No. It is a capture, way more valuable at this time than a sinking. Therefore should have its own mechanics.

I agree; but if that is goingo to take a long time for the devs, it may be a good temporary solution.

you got your prize (ship) - what do you need more

EVERYTHING !!! MINE MINE MINE

sarcastic tone of course.

so far so good for me with the system. xp is good ( very good if pvp combat ) and captured ships sold to store are more than enough to amass cash to buy brand new ships from our crafters. No idea what is this all about.

I have gotten the kill xp several times when removing like 60% hull first.

This. way too many people here are arguing mechanics they don't even understand. Shoot em up, the kill bonus is based on damage alone, and nothing else. You can have both, the captured ship and the kill bonus.

As for what this is about, imagine this:

You are in a PVP brawl battle with a boarding fitted ship. You notice an enemy ship, undamaged so far, is attempting to turn through the wind. 

You move to ram and disrupt the maneuver, then board him. 

You succeed, and with 100 prep vs his 0 and no marines, you defeat him in the 4 turns, removing him from the fight. 

Do you think the 100 exp you get for the crew kills from this are a fair reward for killing a player in PVP? 

Edited by Quineloe

it was given before

people were farming this like crazy

you board the ship 

exit the battle - now he boards you

exit the battle - now you board him

That's unfortunate but its still nonsensical to not get an xp reward for boarding action.  Make it a rule and bring out the ban hammer.

it was given before

you board the ship 

Lock XP to AI capture then, they always fight.

It's a bit silly that if I am pirating an AI trader I need to turn his ship into kindling first, which isn't hard, if I want and XP from the conflict.

Edited by KrakkenSmacken

it was given before

you board the ship 

It would be nice to be able to right-click the ship and say "sink" -- only the owner can do this. It just puts holes in the ship and sinks.

Sometimes I get chances to board an enemy ship, killing him, but the NPC reinforcements are too much to deal with so I end up sailing off and getting no credit.

I didn't really want his ship. It was just a way to kill him. It would be nice to easily sink the derelict and get credit for the kill.

It would be nice to be able to right-click the ship and say "sink" -- only the owner can do this. It just puts holes in the ship and sinks.

Sometimes I get chances to board an enemy ship, killing him, but the NPC reinforcements are too much to deal with so I end up sailing off and getting no credit.

I didn't really want his ship. It was just a way to kill him. It would be nice to easily sink the derelict and get credit for the kill.

Put this in and PvP piracy is deader than it already is.  It's hard enough to prevent a trader from scuttling his ship by ramming and turning off survival as is. 

Any "real" crew on a ship would try to throw the captain overboard if he ordered his ship scuttled in the middle of the ocean.  If the requirement was zero crew, or crew could transfer to another safe ship, that would be another thing altogether.

• Like 1

Cursed be the abusers...

The current system leads to sad results for pvp-ers though.

I've killed 3 players in 3rdratey yesterday with my trinc. For all of them i remooved stern armor, and mainly crew and boarded them. 

Fights like that usually take over 30 minutes, and my sails and hull are usually blown to peaces at the end of such an engagement. 

For such a 30 min+ exhausting and challenging fight, i get around 3000 gold+ around 4-500 exp. Which doesnt even cover the repair costs. + The ship ofc. 

in such a fight there is no possibility to remoove armor on my target to get killexp or killgold. If i were to go for armor dmg to get the rewards, i would have to put myself in danger of being shot and in such a firght trinc vs 3rd, you do not have much room for error, nor for being shot. So i would have to leave some crew alive and start hammering on the hull, most likely loosing the fight due to that, probably setting my prize on fire in the process, that he cannot etinguish because of his low crew, probably putting holes into him, so he can sink himself. It feels very strange how it currently is, and it leads to me also being poor and underleveled compared to anyone who plays only half as much as i do. 

I understand perfectly why this system is in. But i would love to see different ways to solve it.

(if we had crew exp, which would die from boarding, then the friendly boarding might be less of an issue, since ppl would like to preserve their precious crew and their precious officers. Just an idea.)

• Like 2

Capturing a ship SHOULD give experience.

Seriously, you risk your own ship and your crew to get that Surprise you battled with and finally manage to bring him partially down AND you manage to get it...

All for what?

A ship that can be sink once and absolutly no reward in term of XP?

I don't plan on staying in a cerberus during my playtime. :(

Put this in and PvP piracy is deader than it already is.  It's hard enough to prevent a trader from scuttling his ship by ramming and turning off survival as is. 

When I say "only the owner can do this" I mean the new owner, as in the person who won the boarding action.

So after boarding, you can already hit "X" to transfer to it, or right-click it and select "Release" so that someone else can capture it. I just want another option that says "Sink" and lets you sink it instead of capturing it or giving it away.

If you sink it, it is treated the same as any other sunk ship and generates normal XP and gold rewards.

PS: just give all who would rather abuse the game than play it max exp at the start and be done with it.

This would indeed solve a lot of problems. Right now we are discouraged from "playing the game" because there are too many pressures to level up. And since leveling up is so bloody boring, people will always look for shortcuts.

When I say "only the owner can do this" I mean the new owner, as in the person who won the boarding action.

So after boarding, you can already hit "X" to transfer to it, or right-click it and select "Release" so that someone else can capture it. I just want another option that says "Sink" and lets you sink it instead of capturing it or giving it away.

If you sink it, it is treated the same as any other sunk ship and generates normal XP and gold rewards.

This would indeed solve a lot of problems. Right now we are discouraged from "playing the game" because there are too many pressures to level up. And since leveling up is so bloody boring, people will always look for shortcuts.

That actually makes sense.  [X] Capture (no XP) Sink (With XP) with the appropriate timer to chop holes in the thing for player ships makes sense.

AI should always award XP though.

There should be some mechanic other than sinking for a win anyway. It was an absolute rarity for ships to sink in battle, for instance Trafalgar which was a pretty intense battle saw only one ship sunk.

• Like 2

There should be some mechanic other than sinking for a win anyway. It was an absolute rarity for ships to sink in battle, for instance Trafalgar which was a pretty intense battle saw only one ship sunk.

this.

Besides: If something is abused by some players, it's the worst solution to simply delete it.

Stop the abuse and keep the fun for the legit players is a better solution.

Edited by Jan van Santen