Game-Labs Forum

You should get a KILL when you win a boarding action

While I voted yes to getting kill xp for a capture, I do believe you should get MORE xp for capturing. It's much harder to do, for one, and was preferential to simply sinking it with all of its cargo and guns.

• Like 2

we captured a trinc and a renommee yesterday, we did not get kill/assist exp for doing so because we couldn't risk shooting ball at the ship because he'd then just turn off survival and sink. 

Unless of course you board before he sinks and his crew is forced in survival :D

but then again, not worth the risk.

Sure, for PVE you can shoot up your target first and then capture it. In PVP, no rewards are given. PVP is supposed to reward more than PVE, not less, right?

Edited by Quineloe

While I voted yes to getting kill xp for a capture, I do believe you should get MORE xp for capturing. It's much harder to do, for one, and was preferential to simply sinking it with all of its cargo and guns.

This I agree. Bypass the kill and reward the Captured outcome in PvP.

If youve captured it you havent killed it, only the crew

but it also needs time to get a ship ready to be boarded...it should be rewarded with some more XP, maybe not as much as a kill but atleast something between Kill and assist. Also you have the risk the boarding fails and such risk and effort needs more reward then now.

i actually see no real point in this...as someone else already stated...if you remove around 60% of the hull first, you mostly get the kill anyway when you board it then. i for my part most do the following:

- shoot one sidearmor of the target-ship down to  1 or 2 ticks..

- load grapes and shoot down the crew to a level that i see fitting...

- then i board the ship

e.g. a 3rd (650 crew) with my trinco (with hammocks, crew space...around 350 crew) i shoot it down to around 250 crew and then board it..

i get the 500 kill xp + money (25k i think was it)

+ 12 to 14k dmg which is mostly around 400 to 500 xp and maybe 15k money

+400 to 500 xp for killing the crew

mostly around 1400 xp in total and around 40k gold

i actually see no real point in this...as someone else already stated...if you remove around 60% of the hull first, you mostly get the kill anyway when you board it then. i for my part most do the following:

Shooting someone enough to actually reward kill is most likely going to result in leaks or a fire, which will then prevent the capture

- shoot one sidearmor of the target-ship down to 1 or 2 ticks..

- load grapes and shoot down the crew to a level that i see fitting...

- then i board the ship

e.g. a 3rd (650 crew) with my trinco (with hammocks, crew space...around 350 crew) i shoot it down to around 250 crew and then board it..

i get the 500 kill xp + money (25k i think was it)

+ 12 to 14k dmg which is mostly around 400 to 500 xp and maybe 15k money

+400 to 500 xp for killing the crew

mostly around 1400 xp in total and around 40k gold

Yesterday I went into battle against a 5 ship British gank squad - no way I would have been able to sink them with cannon fire because they definitely outgunned me. Quickly boarded and took one ship, came about and took another one, then sank 2 more and the last one thought the better of it and escaped. Because I took the first 2 ships without causing any damage to them, I received no XP or gold bonus from a kill.

Shooting someone enough to actually reward kill is most likely going to result in leaks or a fire, which will then prevent the capture

that's why you should NOT shoot all the armor. if you shoot the side armor down on 1 side to 1 or 2 ticks it's not sinking .

if you remove it completely, then it will, for sure. or maybe i am just always  lucky enought not shoots as many leaks as needed to sink it. but i don't think so.

believe me, i know what i am talking about...i am capping solo 3rds and Constis mostly when i go hunting with my trinco because it gives good  xp...better then my missions at least.

Edited by NoShipSailsForever

A fire can break out on a ship with 90% armor. A leak can also occur very, very early. Long before you reach "kill" threshold.

That's just how the game works.

You capped AI ships? Try capping player ships. It's just not comparable.

i know that this  isn't comparable, but i play on the PvE server anyway and all my statements were based on NPC battles.

i know that leaks can occur very early, but they aren't critical as long as there aren't to many. that's what the pump is for anyway.

i am and was never a friend of the stupid ganking that people tend to always do in every MMO with PvP aspects. that's why i don't inted to play on the PvP servers anyway.

if i would want to pvp, i'd just join a small / large battle.

So you're saying because it's fine for PVE nothing needs to be done.

You don't even get it. The pump doesn't work if you turn off survival. That means one leak at 90% armor and your target is sinking.

Edited by Quineloe

I find boarding actions to be very costly, often sometimes blowing up in your face if you aren't good at the minigame and losing your own ship in the process. If you commit to boarding a ship resulting in its complete defeat, you should be rewarded the XP for essentially "kill"ing it. Allied players often get the kill while you're in the middle of a board action simply because boarding is not generally instantaneous and they are pummeling your target helpless.

It's frustrating to say the least, as you are still awarded kill XP if you did the most damage to the boat regardless of the boarding action.

I find boarding actions to be very costly, often sometimes blowing up in your face if you aren't good at the minigame and losing your own ship in the process. If you commit to boarding a ship resulting in its complete defeat, you should be rewarded the XP for essentially "kill"ing it. Allied players often get the kill while you're in the middle of a board action simply because boarding is not generally instantaneous and they are pummeling your target helpless.

It's frustrating to say the least, as you are still awarded kill XP if you did the most damage to the boat regardless of the boarding action.

Those are great points. Also, with boarding ships being the historically accurate method to the ending of naval battles, encouraging players to engage in boarding rather than sinking would go a long way to growing historical accuracy that the devs desire.