Game-Labs Forum

It's Time to Build a Wall

Lord Roberts

Mr. Bruce,

As you regale this tale to your friends at the pub, how do you explain fleeing your own capital to attack the mighty forces of France?  I am not suggesting it takes the wind from your hard fought conquest, but it certainly raises a few questions about the amount of glory you deserve to tout.

W. Roberts

I cannot speak for other clans or players but CF established in Aves exactly 3 hours after the game released on steam without knowing or even wondering about the numbers in any nation or even realizing we were pretty much settling near the French capital. Aves and Le Moule were the only two pirate ports in the area so using Camp du Roy was just the logical thing to do.

Within less than a week we had enough members to try our hand at port capping and figured that having 2 cities only with nations all around us wasn't viable long term so we proceded to secure the area around CDR fully expecting the French to defend their turf. In fact we were a bit scared tbat the french would overpower us so we most fast to take as many neutral ports as we could to secure a foothold. We eventually took 3 french cities on these islands that they would not have used anyway.

Our success up there and the lack of success in the Bahamas against the US zerg drew other clans to our area. We did not plan this, we did not expect this, in fact the choice we made initially was to do our own thing, kinda like moving to nullsec in Eve and trying to hold on our own.

At that point, looking at the populations down there we figured our main and only threat in the region were the Brits down SE so as a combined effort we decided to rid the area of them. Our reasonning here was that we would be at the same time helping the french and letting them take most of the Brit ports for themselves, as a gesture of good will after taking their 3 unused ports up north, securing a whole zone for all small nations down there to have peace, allowing all of us to level, trade, craft in peace and fight any intruders as one (looking at the big picture, we estimated the US and Brits were too big to take on at the same time, on two fronts in Mortimer).

Diplomacy failed with the french and they decided all out war was what they wanted. The newer clans down south are giving them exactly what they wanted and I have yet to have any french knock on my door to parlay and try to fix things. At this point, nobody on the pirate side cares about what France thinks and we are simply taking everything because too many lies have been spread and too much stuborness has been expressed. There is no hope for peace now with the French they will be wiped and that's all there is to say.

That said we are more open for negociations with all other nations. We do not have an expansionist mindset, both the southern and northern clans have what we came for (more, actually as we had no intention of choking the french initially).

Pirates are now working on the great dykes, I hear that the great dyke between hispaniola and cuba is going to be called dealmaker.

Soon there land will expand and they can grow plantations on the furtile ex-shallows to ruin the British econony.

They will also plant forests to go up against the land-leased foreign-crewed first rates that the british use to defend their ports. (Aves, December 2015)

The french have been lied to by the pirates the entire time, yes. The attempt at peace with the french was an ultimatum in disguise. Brucy, you probably have good intentions but you dont represent all the pirate clans and dont seem to recognize their diplomatic incompetence. A serious peace offering with the french would involve giving them room to grow and prosper, with an outlined plan of future operations against the british and americans, as well as how to get the french a foothold near said nations.

France isnt interested in Pve. Even if it was it needs resource ports, and the pirates insisted on having said ports.

We could probably come to an accord and start bringing the fight to the Americans ir the british, but

A) we have having a blast making Pirate lives in the south miserable.

B) the pirates will probably never agree to police their nation (as they insist it is) and prevent rogue pirates from continuing to fight the french.

C) unless things change it would be a poor move on Frances part to ally with any nation that is so blaise about its inability to control itself.

We are pirates, why does everyone think we give a shit about a "capital".

The capital doesn't matter. It's the new guys in pirate faction that matter. The ones who pop their heads out of Mortimer and get it smashed and say 'hmm, maybe I'll join USA.'

+1 zerg, -1 pirates

That, my fellow rat, is what you should "give a shit about".

And before you say, 'just come south'.

No one new in the game is gonna want to sail 20 in-game days to go put cannonballs in a tower and occasionally see an opposing player they can PVP with every other day.

(But if they're very quiet and try not to spook them, they might catch a glimpse of the endangered French species before a horde of pirates descend upon it and kill it.)

Edited by ajffighter86

The capital doesn't matter. It's the new guys in pirate faction that matter. The ones who pop their heads out of Mortimer and get it smashed and say 'hmm, maybe I'll join USA.'

+1 zerg, -1 pirates

No one new in the game is gonna want to sail 20 in-game days to go put cannonballs in a tower and occasionally see an opposing player they can PVP with every other day.

(But if they're very quiet and try not to spook them, they might catch a glimpse of the endangered French species before a horde of pirates descend upon it and kill it.)

You forget two important things:

1. Anyone who is serious about joining the pirates can roll France, attack a trader (or Slamz for 500k if he gets the kill) and sail for a whole 20 seconds to be with us all.

2. Nation switching favor the Pirate direction because you lose nothing, most new pirates come from other nations.

So its not a problem.

Britain is a Nation with a mission - and that mission comes from our most basic beliefs. We have no desire to dominate, no ambitions of empire. Our aim is a democratic peace - a peace founded upon the dignity and rights of every man and woman. - Roberts

That's awesome man, because the Pirates are currently ahd historically the closest thing to a democracy this game and the real world ever has. You guys should consider the switch.

I have founded the promised land, and have united the fractured clans. Now we the pirate band, shall go forth and hunt for Slamz!

You may now applaud.

He's at Pedernales. We look forward to add your ship to our "pirate sandbar". That's the kind of wall the French are building.

• Like 1

+1 zerg, -1 pirates

Right and I suppose when a new player in EVE online joins a nullsec corp they immediatly leave it because they dont want to travel 30+ jumps to go do boring stuff either?

There is a reason there is a "Zerg"

Noone is being forced to go down there, they ask in pirate chat where the action is, they get told, and they go by themselves.

Occasional PvP?  Every other day?  You must not be a pirate, I'm assuming.  France actively patrols the entire pirate territory now from Camp du Roy to Naprima Bay looking for a fight.  Personally I get into 4 or 5 scuffles with pirates a night, and that is average for a Frenchman.  Admittedly it's slowed down the past 2 days, but not because of the efforts of the French.  The pirates just don't seem as eager to come out and play as they did before.