Game-Labs Forum

3-way/multiple nation battles

First off, pardon me for my bad english. It's not my native language.

As the title says, i'd like to see fights with more then 2 factions in it. I can imagine it's on the list of developement already. There are a couple of reasons why i think this has priorety.

- The current meta to avoid pvp is jumping into an AI battle, it's very frustrating and people can sit in it as long as they want.

Since the new log out system, players cannot disconect anymore to get out of danger. They now simply grab onto the first AI they see to avoid battle.

This means that they basicly escaped by abusing the instance system.

- Players have friends acros the globe, i'd like to sail with some Dutch people for example, but there is not a singel target we are able to fight together at the moment.

- It does not make sense that you are not able to attack someone that is right there, because you cannot join the instance, while your right on top of him.

So ii have two suggestions to counter this

- Change the mechanic so that everyone can join any battle choosing a side. (So when French en Spanisch fight for example, me as american can jump in on the French side.)

- Make it possible to join as 3rd faction into a battle.

Jack

• Like 1

3-way battles should definitely be possible, so long as one side is AI.

That will remove some of the complexity.

Our little PvE friends will cry eternal. I like idea with npc-player-player (unlike 3 players), but they never let that happen.

p.s. In any case more than 2 player side in one battle will hurt gameplay. Idea sounds good, but i think in practice damage from it will overwhelm any good aspect.

This is all planned as far as i know (read it some where  a while back) once the politic side comes in, we are testing new damage and battle situations the political, friends foe stuff will surely come at some point when nations can become allies and enemy.

This is all planned as far as i know (read it some where  a while back) once the politic side comes in, we are testing new damage and battle situations the political, friends foe stuff will surely come at some point when nations can become allies and enemy.

well, we could call allies single side in battle. So no problem with it. Question is how about 3+ FFA

To be honest, they should get rid of 'sides' in battle all together.

To know who is enemy and who is friendly, look at the flags on the ships. (And keep the name tags)

All these things are already implemented in the game play, all they have to do is remove the limitations and restrictions

If there is friendly fire due to rash decisions and people not ensuring their target, well that just means we will have more pirates ;)

Edited by Sappo569
  • Like 5

Make anyone be able to join a battle and make people have to keep track of their allies and friends for themselves. That would be the the simple solution. But the problem might be people who join a fight and steal prizes. I'm pretty sure that would become a problem. This is not without issues...

i have no problem with 2 differant nations becomming allies temporarely, cud be a clicky on the hailing menu  to become allies if both parties agree.and fleet together..but the problem with being able to just enter any  battel is the gankers,,it will hurt the new players,,and they need ways of escapeing and sometimes a friendly ai may be the only way.and other customers might not share in your desires of glory and battel,,there will be economist that may want to mine,build ships,or fishing.as far as i know there is going to be so many things to do.even diplomatic notes may imune from being attacked if u are transporting goods,,who knows,,might of been better over all to just have open world as it is,,and live with the fact it might take a month for real to get somewheres and battels wud be as they are,in real time. the big world wud allow commerce to flow,and pvp ers wud have a hard task not only to find them but to engage as well,but that not going to happen,,so ill back everyone play either way,,but watching another pirate online game go dead,, was the fact that new players were constantly being ganked to the point of quiting in a week,i personly helped 12 new players the best i cud,bought them ships,got them started,,but cud not stop the ganking,all 12 were gone in 2 weeks..new players are a games life blood,,and your clans too..so whatever you decide keep that in mind

so bottom line for me is you pick a side and you stick..if u want to switch sides,,i say u lose everything but money,but im pretty sure we are going to have the mr retards finding a way to play all sides here also,,as long as we keep that to a minimum and severe peneltys if caught,,we should be ok

Edited by VEYRON

i personly helped 12 new players the best i cud,bought them ships,got them started,,but cud not stop the ganking,all 12 were gone in 2 weeks..new players are a games life blood,,and your clans too..so whatever you decide keep that in mind

12 players could provide some serious challenge on the map even in basic lynxes. Not sure if ganking was the reason.

Ps. How could you buy them ships?  or you are talking about a different game?

yes it was another game,,the community was as nasty as world of tanks,,population was very low,,a dead game,,they played all sides of the war at the same time,,pirates of the burning seas was dead becouse of the veterans there did not really care,,new players were to be used and ganked,,i watched them on thier team speak make friends with a new player in one charactor while setting the new player up for a kill with his other ,,this game had so much to offer,,but wasent worth playing any more.

stealing the prizes.

interfering with the battle you almost won using all repairs

and many other concerns will be created if several enemy nations are allowed to enter one battle. 

spawning reinforcements right on top of the ongoing battle is the problem here, this happens right now with 2 way battles.

stealing the prizes.

and many other concerns will be created if several enemy nations are allowed to enter one battle. 

Have you looked at the option of a timer or pop-up for the prizes?

Say I do a certain percentage of damage to a ship (meaning I did all the grape-ing), and then someone rolls into the instance to steal the prize, having done no damage or a very small amount

They wouldn't be able to capture it unless you click on the ship and 'release' it, or have a timer say 10 minutes, after the timer is up the ship is unlocked for anyone to capture

I believe there are similar systems in place for MMO's, where if you get the 'kill' the corpse is yours for a certain period of time, to prevent loot ganking

Edited by Sappo569

stealing the prizes.

If battle instances weren't permanently open, but instead pulled everyone in a certain radius and then stayed open for another minute or so, maximum, then none of these issues would be a problem.   :)

Signed to OP's request - remove the sides and close instances after a reasonable amount of time.  Personally, I think that should be a long term development goal.

• Like 1

Think it is a rather bad idea... the result will be way to many 3 or even 4 way battles... please show me some historical evidence that this actually happened....

The solution is diplomacy.
So the different nations can be allies. (you can join and use their ports)
neutral you can't join except agaisnt pirates. (can sue ports)

At war. the current situation.

First version the devs should control who fights who, to help balance the factions.

A timer for the instance would be nice but then the immersion of never knowing when reinforcements arrive and have to high tail it out of their... With the way it is setup players still gain xp and gold even as a loss so I'm not sure i like the idea of a timer for battle instances..

Locking and unlocking instances is an enormous can of worms.

Rather than debating it ad nauseum, why not just do everything realistically? As is often the case, realism is as good as any other option, and can be used to take a middle path.

Max battle time is considered to be 4-8 hours of real time. Instances should vanish from the OW (from a newcomer's perspective) if their ship would be realistically incapable of reaching the area within that time.

This would make me very paranoid of sailing around if a battle could be ending anywhere without warnings. Locking doesn't really changes much anyway. If they have reinforcements and want to kill you, they will just wait outside. There is no way to change that. From the perspective of players in the open world, realism would be being able to join any instance at any point. Spawning reinforcements at a good range, giving the players inside it time to react, would be the realism middle ground imho.

I dont like sealing the combat instances, but if it has to happen in order to open the battles to more nations, then only after some reasonable time like 10 minutes. I like Jeef's idea. A new faction arriving shouldn't be teleported right into the action but be placed further away from the original contestants to allow for some on the spot diplomacy and time for everyone to reasess the situation and react accordingly.

The issue with the prizes can be solved if they get manned by a skeleleton crew and start sailing out of the battle, maybe disapearing after some time if noone is close / fires at them.

Edited by l'apostat

stealing the prizes.

This should not be a problem.

Add the 'Black Flag' option. When 'Black Flag' is enabled any nations can enter battle and fight with other nations.(Optional Hardcore mode). Such mode would reward players with greater skill xp and gold compared to normal mode pvp. Also, port battle or contest points will be generated faster. ;) Must be enabled by a player or a group before multiple nations can join battles. By enabling the feature players agree to take the risk where they can loose everything.  

In my opinion, multiple nation battles is a must have feature to keep the game interesting and competitive.