Game-Labs Forum

just a simple question really, is any kind of actual content going to be added before release?

I mean the patrol zones and epic events are just jokes really. they sort of work but are "simple".

tweaking balancing is all good but seriously so many things suggested, trade routes, different battles zones, Spanish treasure fleets, storms, etc...…...but nothing seems to get added to spice things up.

just wondering now release is close or isn't close or is isn't close.

or is it just me thinking this?

• Like 4

The next main patch is mostly UI and fixes, so I understand that doesn't mean much in terms of content, mostly making the game looks better and being less clunky.

That said I agree that I wish for a lot of good suggestions here to be added. Even if I don't agree with them there are still good suggestions being made everyday.

I hope the developers do not rush the release and take their time adding content to make the game more appealing to a wider audience. A bigger emphasis on trading, base building, outlaws, raids, safe zones, and the many other suggestions being put forth. 

i think the worst thing they can do is release the game early with plans on developing the game further after release. Let's build a finished product. 

I've been thinking, dreaming, about content since I read about the proposed game, years ago.

But almost everything seems to be focused on battles, combat, fighting or making ships.   Now there is a big effort on the appearance of the UI.

I'd be very pleased if the content was created before release, or after release.  

9 hours ago, Christendom said:

Are you not excited for the FLAGS FLAGS FLAGS!!!! DLC?

exited for the flags themselves, but I would be much happier if it would be rewards for achievements you've done. Whats the point on having a flag that every single person has?

For instance why dont they make it so if you reach max rank, you get one flag. Participate in 10 port battles you get a flag. Do 20 trade missions or earn x amount of gold from trading, you get a rare trading flag. They could even implement it with the pvp leaderboard. If you're nr 1 on the leaderboard until reset you have the ownership of the flag for 1 week, making it maximum 7 players that can have it, how cool would that be, could even extend it to 30 days so only 30 players are able to have it at the same time.

Yes I understand that for the casual player that its much easier to buy the package for 20$ and put the flags on the ship, but honestly.. where is the fun in that? isnt it much better to work for it and get a reward for doing something and have a sense of achievement?

Edited by Guest

11 hours ago, Macjimm said:

I've been thinking, dreaming, about content since I read about the proposed game, years ago.

But almost everything seems to be focused on battles, combat, fighting or making ships.   Now there is a big effort on the appearance of the UI.

I'd be very pleased if the content was created before release, or after release.  

Its a sandbox game! Meaning there is no need for artificial content youre having in mind.

"Making ships" means complex and dynamic economy."Fighting" means dynamic conquest. Player made content, thats all content it needs. And still both isnt working, possibly because people having no idea what theyre talking about are complaining about "additional content" all the time.

They didnt focus on that since years. All the time additional content is tested. New missions, new events, new ships and upgrades, new perks, new currencies, new mechanics like fishing or bottles, etc. Im not saying all this is bad in general, but it wont do much if the foundation isnt there. Also lots of stuff would just become redundant if economy for example would work properly. Wasted resources in multiple ways.

Then what additional content are people thinking about. Either it contradicts "sandbox", or it would be redundant with functional core mechanics, or the effect would be minor compared to the work they would need to put into it. There arent many options. Possible ideas for example include complex AI. AI cant even handle larger ships and only follows fixed OW routes, so what effort would it take to make complex AI scenarios work. Exploration would make sense, but how do it without on land mechanics, and without lots of handmade stuff to not make it repetitive?! Impossible for such a small team.

Edited by Fargo

I'm an advocate of player created content, but it is useful if players have tools.  The mechanics to trade or communicate with players is helpful content, I'm glad it was added.

Additional content could be exploration instances where players can search for resources outside of ports, creating "on land" mechanics is not required.  We trade in ports and there are no "in port" mechanics, just simple spreadsheets.  Create a player generated instance with potential to discover and harvest.  Sail dead slow or anchor near shore to reveal resources, add a timer and a popup text box "Your shore party has discovered 1000 White Oak logs".  Then the option to harvest the resources with another, slower, timer. 

Or make fishing more productive if ships move slowly and harvest less fish when sailing at full speed.

Allow players to transfer goods between ships of different countries to allow international trade.

Add identifiers so players can determine ship nationality by examination.

I'm not against fighting, or combat, or battles, or adding more combat stuff to ship building,  but it would help to add more trade related content.  Like delivery missions, or trade XP, or specialization .  I would even like non-combat missions;  courier information, transport passengers, or have a random chance, like fishing, to reveal a discovery.

Suppose I would prefer a working economy, but perhaps it is not possible with alts.   So more content would be nice.

Edited by Macjimm

New players is the best content and UI and localization is focused on the best content pvp game can get - lots of new players. 
We encourage all captains to show excitement and encouragement to all new players and lurkers in form of positive energy here, on steam forums, in game and in reviews. And try to convey the importance of current priorities to all.

Another thing that could help responding to players asking for lots of new content NOW is to show them the size of the our indie development team (2 programmers and 1.5 artists) and explain that demanding AAA volumes of content immediately from an indie game is unrealistic and impossible. 

• Like 9