Game-Labs Forum

Battlesail fighting

With my limited english i try to explain my idea.

Fighting in battlesails could maybe solve hull hugging, just slow down and board the little ship.

So we need to be forced to use battlesails, evrything faster then that should be only good for running or chasing.

here it comes

Battlesails:

Sailforce +10%   (makes taking a bit easier)

Fullsails:

turn rate -50%      (want to go fast, you have to make wider turn, but fast)

heel +15%       (danger of getting leaked)

broadside canon reload +50%    (its harder for the gunners to reload when there is more heel, chasers reload as normal)

and maybe

broadside canon dispersion +15%   (harder to aim when ship heels more, but still possible to shoot sail or shoot leaks)

marines should always provide some preparation , they are there for boarding action.

I think we should test something like this, maybe lineships should be a little faster then 3,5 kn at 90 degree wind, whenn in battle sails.Dont know how much time it would need to ad this ,maybee some days.

please discuss , we want the game to get better.

• Like 5

Personally, I'd rather greatly increase the chance of losing a mast on sail damage (can add a multiplier to any ball or chain that impacts sails/masts), and have a significant chance of a fire when firing your guns when you're not in battlesails.  Full sails during a battle should be a gambit last ditch effort to escape, not a normal state of affairs.  :)

• Like 9

I have always been in agreement when suggestions came up to add maluses to full sails.

Decrease turn rate? Sounds good

Longer cannon reload? Sounds good

More heel? Eh, the full sails already gives the ship a lot of heel, no need for thus in my opinion.

I think @rediii mentioned somewhere that battle sails should also get a cannon reload buff? Correct me if I'm wrong.

But I really would like battle sails to be your normal sail action when in a fight. Fulls sails I'm sure would to be used for those who run or chase, or even for those who want to get to a position quickly.

• Like 7

2 hours ago, Henry d'Esterre Darby said:

Personally, I'd rather greatly increase the chance of losing a mast on sail damage (can add a multiplier to any ball or chain that impacts sails/masts), and have a significant chance of a fire when firing your guns when you're not in battlesails.  Full sails during a battle should be a gambit last ditch effort to escape, not a normal state of affairs.  :)

totaly agree @admin whats your say on this?

Just now, Batman said:

Maybe not buff battlesails directly, but nerf full sails?

I mean, turning bonus for battlesails is nice, but when turning at 2 knots in a SoL you aint really fast anyway.

henry just gave best idea using full sails in battle should should make you lose mast very fast plus even sails hit can couse it not just mast hits

6 hours ago, Franz Ferdinand said:

So we need to be forced to use battlesails, evrything faster then that should be only good for running or chasing.

here it comes

Battlesails:

Sailforce +10%   (makes taking a bit easier)

So you drop your sails to Battle Sails, 30% or whatever fraction battle sails is, and you're going to do a victory dance that the +10% Sailforce mechanics bump that to 33% instead?  This game, as it is, is about hard manouvering for position, hard manouvering to get bounces, zooming off to make space to repair, and trading paint to push the other guy around.  That needs speed and power. 

Edited by Barbancourt
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Batman said:

Maybe not buff battlesails directly, but nerf full sails?

I mean, turning bonus for battlesails is nice, but when turning at 2 knots in a SoL you aint really fast anyway.

Yeah the turning bonus we have now i have only ever noticed it on 5th rates or smaller since it really feels like you are at a disadvantage from an opponent with full sails atm.

3 hours ago, rediii said:

Well when full sails is nerfed I just go 80% then

I'd much just prefer a gradual increase and decrease to buffs and maluses on different sail %s. Something a akin to this.

100% sails - requires 10/20% more crew (then currently)

80% sails - requires less men on sails

60% sails - requires less men on sails, accuracy buff

40% sails - turn rate buff, cannon reload and accuracy buff. Requires less men on sails

Obvious not a good representation of how it would be but I hope folks get the point. Basically you are sacrificing speed for these bonuses.

• Like 4

Now whe have a nice discussion, gradual increase or decrease should be the way to go.

1th rate should get a speed buff with battlesails , combat with 2 knots is definatly too slow, dont know if possible.

More danger to mast is also good,10% sail force is to much , lets say 1% for 7th to 5th and 2% for 3th 3% for 2th and 4% for first or something like this.

40 minutes ago, Franz Ferdinand said:

1th rate should get a speed buff with battlesails , combat with 2 knots is definatly too slow, dont know if possible.

Why speed buff Battle sails when you could just go to Slow sails etc to achieve the same thing?  (just in terms of speed, neglecting chaining)

2 hours ago, Barbancourt said:

Why speed buff Battle sails when you could just go to Slow sails etc to achieve the same thing?  (just in terms of speed, neglecting chaining)

Because handling topsails + gallants is easier than topsails + courses. Everything is attached to yards, no tacks and sheets to drag around at head height on deck with cannon balls flying around.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, maturin said:

Because handling topsails + gallants is easier than topsails + courses. Everything is attached to yards, no tacks and sheets to drag around at head height on deck with cannon balls flying around.

That' isn't the game we've got.  As long as you have enough crew on the ship (All Hail the Necromancing Bartender)  you just press "W" for more sails and "S" for less sails.  Easy peasy. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Crow said:

No please.

No more adjustments to game play.

Let's get on with serious things that need doing.

You do know that after release they will still make changes to like perks, pirate mechanics and game mechanics will change over and over. They have the basic game here all ready once UI and locilization are done we are basically beta and ready for release.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Sir Texas Sir said:

You do know that after release they will still make changes to like perks, pirate mechanics and game mechanics will change over and over. They have the basic game here all ready once UI and locilization are done we are basically beta and ready for release.

Yes but I feel that to start playing around with a mechanic which most feel is fine would be to fiddle while Rome burns.

Much more important stuff at the moment imo.

I'm not saying never, just not now.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Sir Texas Sir said:

"Basic" is the word that really applies.  I hope there are better ideas in the pipeline.