Game-Labs Forum

Rig repairs are OP

1 hour ago, Mrgoldstein said:

I also doubt sailors were actualy up there stiching the sail cloth in the middle of a battle aswell...

Repairs should be limited to 1 of each to prevent the endless running and repairing

No but many ships had spare sails, and would drop a damaged or torn sail and run a new one up in a short order.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Mrgoldstein said:

yes but in a battle pause, not whilst in battle

In real life ships also struck their colors and surrendered if they were unable to maneuver.   And rudder damage wasnt something you could fix under fire.  

in real life ships were not demasted 1 minute into battle. In real life ships didnt give up the wind so they could aim higher and demast top sections. The repairs need to go back to the way they were in the past. 1 each. Masts need a thickness Nerf but a hp buff. Its the only thing the devs haven't tried so far so I dont get why they dont test that. The current combat system is the worst it has been in a long time. Ships need to be balanced and too. Im done with game anyway so good luck. 

• Like 2

Repairs simply make the tactics a lot more interesting.

If we want to be perfectly realistic then:

• There are no in-combat hull repairs other than "survival" which plugs holes.
  • There are no in-combat sail repairs but there is a new type of damage: "rigging". This represents lost efficiency in changing your sails and, like holes, gets repaired automatically at a set pace.

Armor, hull, masts and sails cannot be repaired in combat. Only leaks and the new one, "rigging".

Question is,

Does this make the game more fun?

Personally I think the current model of repairs is by far the most fun we've had. It makes group fights especially last a lot longer with a lot more give and take and potential swings in who's winning.

We COULD switch to a "realism" model as above but I stress that this is not "1 repair each" which is no less stupid and unrealistic than anything else.

It's NO repairs, other than leaks and rigging.

And I suspect we'd have to rebalance a lot of things, namely giving ships a lot more health all around, as otherwise fights will be over in 10 minutes. (We should probably remove all accuracy mods too, as laser accurate cannons will make demasting too easy again.)

7 minutes ago, Slamz said:

And I suspect we'd have to rebalance a lot of things, namely giving ships a lot more health all around, as otherwise fights will be over in 10 minutes. (We should probably remove all accuracy mods too, as laser accurate cannons will make demasting too easy again.)

I agree accuracy mods need to go.   Cannons are WAY to accurate now.  I mean I can fire single shots at 750m and hit 9 out of 10 shots from a ship moving 15kn in rolling seas, on a ship moving 15kn on rolling seas.    And I am not talking sail hits either.  

• Like 2

the  rig /sail timer should go to 15-20 minutes in battle

also when repairing sail  it should take more  labor from the crew (more increase for ship handling ) the tactical decision to repair, must be correct, or you will suffer on ship handling when you turn  or increase or decrease sails (manual sailing) )

in rl handling to repair and change sails would take  almost the whole crew  to work on and took a whole day (it was not like putting a bandage on a finger it was a serious undertaking to work on sails)

the next vid is a must see to every NA player so dont miss it

^^ did 17  knots :) (just a little thing  to think about 4700 tons of grain and loaded ) >>hearing  that man, ist priceless

repairs in ow > instant in OW (just to engage  equally into the next battle)

the vids will teachs you :) 

"350 lines scream like.. a... tortured animal ....its torture,..  torture and screaming"

its all about ...cargo ,   its funny if you talk about sinking ships...when you think of it

its all about the captain.... lol 

but speed was key..

Edited by Thonys
  • Like 1

I really don't know why they went with the stupid cd for repairs... 1 repair for each per battle was really more realistic, fair and balanced. This endless repair spam bullshit turned some battles into a cheesefest and did nothing but slow battles down even more... The worst about it is how it is yet another mechanic that hurts pvp. People are harder to catch than ever when they just spam rig repairs and if you fight against the odds like 1v3 it's even worse now since they can take turns with damage dealing and repairing... absolute rubbish.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Intrepido said:

The current reapir system is not even fun.

That is a very tough point of contention.

I can only say I agree. It wasn't fun or exciting when I sank koltes in a 3v1.

Maybe we should switch the qualification to challenge as opposed to fun?

A 1 times repair system is more challenging I would say.

• Like 2

On 8/16/2017 at 8:49 PM, HachiRoku said:

in real life ships were not demasted 1 minute into battle. In real life ships didnt give up the wind so they could aim higher and demast top sections. The repairs need to go back to the way they were in the past. 1 each. Masts need a thickness Nerf but a hp buff. Its the only thing the devs haven't tried so far so I dont get why they dont test that. The current combat system is the worst it has been in a long time. Ships need to be balanced and too. Im done with game anyway so good luck. 

They probably didn't try it because those of us suggesting that exact thing are known for demasting the shit out of everyone and everything, so obviously we must be biased and just want easier demasting no? :P

9 minutes ago, TommyShelby said:

Bad idea Skully. Game will be too hard then and the gap between skilled and unskilled will be too big. 

#ObviousSarcasm <3

I know, but ironically we have multiple repairs to counter multiple mistakes... :lol:

On 7/24/2015 at 0:19 PM, admin said:

our main gameplay goal of repairs - there must be a way to recover from a mistake in battle.

Edited by Skully
  • Like 2

12 hours ago, Slim Jimmerson said:

The problem with 1 rep is it creates a desail meta, where people sit at range and chain sails and the first person who has to rep loses. You can't afford to get in close with ball without using your only rep.

Sounds like they should limit chain shot then? As suggested multiple times?

12 hours ago, Intrepido said:

The current reapir system is not even fun.

Fights last forever due to the absurd number of times you can repair in battle (up to 9 times). Most of the battles are just chasing and repairing. Dull gameplay.

Yeah, agree. It's the main reason im waiting for legends...

2 hours ago, Captain Lust said:

Yeah, agree. It's the main reason im waiting for legends...

You should bring this issue to the Legends section. In terms of combat engine Legends should be little different (if at all).

7 hours ago, Intrepido said:

Changes of recovering from a mistake is good. But come on, so many repairs in battles only promotes that the people never learn. It is very easy to fill your hold of repairs and click repair every 10 mins.

Every battle I do it seems that Im killing several times the same dam ship.

My proposal is:

-Longer CD. Up to 12 mins.

-3 repairs (3 rig, 3 hull) at max during battle.

or the other solution would be : at the moment the ship has only THE HOLD 

but by putting in a Maintainance HOLD

a max @ % of the cargo hold can be used for repairs and put in the {new} maintenance  hold

like let's say 10 % or perhaps 5 % maintenance hold

for development [new Maintainance hold is required in the ship ] (repairs than in the normal cargo hold will have no function, and are just not useable for repairs but are only cargo )

therefore the use of repairs will be restricted by ship class (different ships cargo/maintenance  hold)

and the OP for certain ships will be reduced significantly (and therefore the endless repair is gone for [[ super +++ tanking warships]])

we do not have to make it that difficult :)

keep it simple and logical

also, this does not have to be that difficult to implement>  a similar solution is found in the freighters in eve where are 2 kinds of hold one for the ship itself, and for the dedicated goods 

ps if you like this idea thumbs up the like

otherwise say no

this is a good solution other solutions are useless 

Edited by Thonys

You guys seem to severely underestimate the combat-repair capability. In real life the ships did indeed have dedicated repair crews standing by!

The bosun and his mates and crew for rigging (splicing cut lines, replacing sails. Much much more common than losing spars).

The carpenter and his mates and crew for plugging shot holes, and shoring up structural members, repairing pumps.

These crew members are not needed for loading guns and trimming sails, they are dedicated crew on stand-by during an action. Of course should they need more help then crew would be taken of guns.

The gun crews would also put unseated cannons back on their carriage and re-attach blocks and tackles to get a gun back in the fight.

Now what you guys are correct in is that replacing entire spars or masts could not be done during battle, and neither could all hull damage be fully repaired.

But losing entire mast was not all that common. More likely ships would lose some spars and this would not nearly impact their ability to maneuver as bad as losing a mast. Most of the time it would be a case of setting or striking sail to re-balance the forces on the ship and compensate for the loss. If for instance they lost the mizzen topmast, they would strike a few sails on the foremast to get the balance back. In a full on battle (not a chase!) ships would not be going full sails they would be on battle sails. And thus they would be less impacted by losing a single spar and or sail. They could set some of the other sails to compensate and regain most of their maneuverability.

Like mentioned by others, losing an entire mast and thus losing maneuverability often resulted in striking the colours.