Game-Labs Forum

Should the weather cause open world damage

351 members have voted

1. 1. Would you like to see things like hurricanes and tornadoes damage your ship in OW sailing?

The 1st time it would be kind of cool, the 2nd time mildly annoying and by the 5th time you would be tossing your monitor out of the window in a fit of rage.

In terms of game play, what is the pay out for the aggravation?

As we've already pointed out, my proposal would be far less disruptive and aggravating than the current implementation. And yet I haven't heard of any computers being defenestrated during the present alpha. On the contrary, storms create excitement and awe in Global chat. 

Do you also want to remove the storm instances from the game? What is the gameplay payout for the aggravation there? This is a sailing game. Removing weather from a sailing game is like removing reloads and grenades from an FPS.

Now, finally, to answer your question, there is a big gameplay payoff. Storms are a dramatic deus ex machina that radically alter campaigns. They will scatter an invasion fleet before it reaches the port battle. Storms break blockades of contested ports. They will turn a ho-hum crafting run into a perilous adventure, with high stakes and unpredictable outcomes.

Storms turn the OW meta upside down. SoLs become the fastest, most maneuverable vessels in an instant. They are kings for a day, and the frigate gank squads lose their lunch. Brig captains bear down on the Lynxes that were so smug a few moments before. 

• Like 3

The 1st time it would be kind of cool, the 2nd time mildly annoying and by the 5th time you would be tossing your monitor out of the window in a fit of rage.

In terms of game play, what is the pay out for the aggravation?

Just to iterate this one line:

The real question I believe would be the frequency and impact of the events. Rare enough to be noteworthy but frequent enough to always be a consideration.

For example, if you're fighting in a storm 1 out of every 60 battles, it's noteworthy. If you want to raid a port, waiting until there's a storm/fog for cover from reinforcements or batteries is a good idea for consideration.

• 3 weeks later...

I'd be interested in seeing storm battle scenarios do cause sail damage if more than a recommended amount of sail was being used.  It would also be good if an overpress of sail would slow down a ship if the winds are too strong.  Also, the storms wouldn't have to necessarily just cause dismasting, but slowly degrade the rigging (maybe 1-2% per minute that you have too much sail set).

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Ultimately it all comes down to regularity of storms in game now I am not a great follower of Hurricane in the carribean per year but you might find that some seasons are worse than others and as The good Doctor has alluded to if there was a storm they may not be all of the same severity this I would love to see there is a level of realism that I think nearly all of us want but then the devs don't listen when we tell them that the damnable fog is unreal this game is based around the sunniest part of the world not the North Sea.

In the last week the UK has been battered by one major storm and two other lesser low pressure systems. In game terms that would have been 3 weather systems affecting an area of Antillies in an hour game time.

At the same time, this is a game still in the works.  The devs have stated that they'd like to expand the area, but due to small numbers so far, it's restricted to the Caribbean.  However, in the Med, North Sea, etc. they need to be able to have all sorts of weather.  Not sure if they'll ever expand to these areas, but it would be nice!

• 3 weeks later...

I'd be interested in seeing storm battle scenarios do cause sail damage if more than a recommended amount of sail was being used.  It would also be good if an overpress of sail would slow down a ship if the winds are too strong.  Also, the storms wouldn't have to necessarily just cause dismasting, but slowly degrade the rigging (maybe 1-2% per minute that you have too much sail set).

This.

Rough sea in battle makes aim more chalenging. Sails can be damaged slowly. It would add some level of fustration, fun

and so on.

Open sea storms , maybe some damage to the ship, but nothing sereous.

• Like 1

Storms should matter, after all, it was a storm that saved England from the Spanish Armada.

But for all newbies like me, it will be a massive pain in the butt if I spawn right in the middle of a hurricane, and get my tiny cutter obliterated.

So if you, the developers, are going to include storms, please be sure to spawn noobs in safe harbours that will face less of the destructive power of a hurricane.

And it may also be a good idea to include Insurance in the game, so as to lessen the pain of those who spent many hours working towards a frigate... only to see it ripped apart by angry winds.

I voted NO because i think it would be very disappointing  if you head to port battle with your ships and all your group got damaged before even gets to actual battle :)

Unless they would add weather forecast :) ' Attention Attention There will be storm in 10 min. Please stay at your ports and do not go for any engagements' 

• 2 weeks later...

I feel somewhat deprived because I have not yet been in a storm.  The worst weather I have seen in the game is a heavy rain squall and sea state of about 4.  So, I did not even know the game does full blown storms.

I like the weather variations and love the fact that the game does storms.  I also like the idea of storms causing damage IF we are given a warning that a storm is approaching so we can take shelter in a port or cove on the leeward side of an island.  Simply displaying a warning on the screen can simulate a lookout giving a warning of a storm.  Having been in more than a few strong storms with sea states of 5-7 and near two hurricanes in a sea state of at least 8.  I know from experience that some minor damage is normal in strong storms, and significant damage is possible in severe storms.  In my first hurricane on the USS Arkansas, CGN-41, our ship's bell was ripped off and wedged in the forward superstructure so we didn't lose it, and our forward missile launcher was damaged.  In weather like that I liked to go up to the bridge at night and watch the windows whiteout when the bow broke through a wave.  The bridge was almost 100 feet above the waterline.

• Like 1

Seeing the storms from a distance is awesome sight.  I tip my hat to the developers on how real they look, both inside and outside of these storms. 

As to navigating thru the storms, I would also like to see some damage on the ships if you venture to close to the middle.

I have found that if you catch a ship in the middle of a storm and go into the battle arena, you go back to clear skies and calm water.  Storm battles would be challenge to the fight.  With ever changing sea heights, poor visibilities, rain, and lighting the challenge may be to great to hit your target.  Sinking from storm damage would be a more real possibility than getting hit by the opponents.  

Even night battles would look awesome and be fun to have.

There used to be a mega storm map for battles with huge waves. I loved it.. I want it back..

yes, storms should damage sails if you don't reduce them like any competent captain would

But also:

1. Wind speeds should be increased in a storm

2. And ignoring the 'shallows' indicator and running on ground should also cause damage

At the moment we just bump around the open world with no regards to rocks and storms - it's just not right

Edited by mouse of war
  • Like 1

2. And ignoring the 'shallows' indicator and running on ground should also cause damage

I'll agree to that... once the shallows are turned down a notch. Ships like the cutter can get a LOT closer to land in most places where shallows prevent you - safely.

I chose Yes but only far out at sea

because when you travel on the open sea you reduce the risk of getting intercepted by enemy ships (in pvp that is)

so if the developer were to implement this you would need to chose between getting caught by an enemy faction or getting damaged by a natural disaster.