Game-Labs Forum

The optimal combat vessel for an open world

I know that many people wonder what would be the perfect vessel for sailing in the open world and can hold its own in a sticky situation.

If you want to be able to get out of a situation fast but with lots of firepower I can recommend a constitution. It has the perfect balance between speed and firepower and that can help if something as simple as catching a trade vessel turns into a mini trafalgar.

However some may consider a Pavel because it has got a decent speed and is very close to a first rate. Anything attacks you in a Pavel you can bet that it's strong armour will help in the worst situation.

(The Pavel can sink a victory or sanitisima with the right method. Trust me from my personal experience.)

Do not go for the 1st rates because they turn like a brick with even the gold turning modules and they are no good if you want to run from a fight.

The constitution and the Pavel are the best fighting vessels and I have learned from experience.

He this is helpful.

• Like 2

The Pavel is a very nice ship indeed i also very much enjoy at range when the enemy mistakes you for a connie or a trinco until it is too late :P

mind you that happens only rarely and with very new players but when it does priceless 

Edited by Young

The Pavel is a swiss army knife compared to the Vic.  Vic is slow and cumbersome and slow to maneuver.  The Pavel has more firepower than a frigate and better maneuverability than the Vic.  That means it can take them.  I've killed 2 vics now in it, haven't lost yet.

• Like 1

Well, I've had some pretty good runs in my BellePoule. I had this amazing last stand against a Spanish Bellona, and I nearly sank her. However, the Pavel (currently testing her out with the 1,000,000 gold redeemable) has definitely proven herself as a very good ship- I have yet to face any Vics or Santis, yet her maneuverability's quite surprising.

• Like 1

The Pavel is a swiss army knife compared to the Vic.  Vic is slow and cumbersome and slow to maneuver.  The Pavel has more firepower than a frigate and better maneuverability than the Vic.  That means it can take them.  I've killed 2 vics now in it, haven't lost yet.

I watched you stern camp a vic yesterday. Clearly the Pavel is the superior ship in a 1v1 dogfight. How does she pan out in a Trafalger?

She's no better than the Bellona in Traf which means she's useless (and in need of a buff).

All the speed in the world but no bow chasers is a massive drawback unless you intend to run or run a boarding outfit against targets unable to sail away.

She's no better than the Bellona in Traf which means she's useless (and in need of a buff).

All the speed in the world but no bow chasers is a massive drawback unless you intend to run or run a boarding outfit against targets unable to sail away.

I disagree. In this Trafalgar I got more xp and damage than several of our vics reported:

However, in a 1st rate fight, you want 1st rates, correct. But in a perfect game not everyone will be able to sail 1st rates, and so I would choose the Pavel over the Bellona, but that is personal preference.

would you really choose the pavel tho...when we get other 2nd/3rd/4th/5th/6th and proper 1st/1stSH's

dont get me wrong for being a raker/demaster she works...but if you do get smacked by a santi/victory its pretty nasty particularly as your sides are not great at generating bounces and the bow is just candy

I mean aside from the Victory...I kinda wanna sail a Glatton (4th) and/or Rainbow (5th) cause Honour to Trollope's legacy lol and definately an Arrogant class 74 as I found an amusing historical/familial note on it lol

Yes, my line up out of the current ships is Santi, Pavel, Coni, Frigate, Pickle, Yacht, Lynx.  Out of over a thousand hours and around 1000 battles in Sea Trials alone before OW, these are my preferred ships. 

In the Trafalgar I posted above, I could have taken a 1st rate, but took a 3rd rate instead (Pavel is actually a 3rd rate, not a 2nd rate like it is listed in game).

If while in a 3rd rate and you are fighting a 1st rate, and your sides are disappearing, you are without a doubt fighting wrong.  In the 2 battles I've used my Pavel against lone vics, both surrendered and went through 3 repairs before I used 1 (in both battles, I repaired my armor after they had surrendered).  It is the same if you are in a Coni trying to solo a Bell or a Yacht trying to solo a Surprise or Trinc.  If you are in a lesser ship while fighting a more powerful ship, and you are fighting fairly, you are always fighting wrong and will always lose unless they are no good at all.

As for bounces, half of the victory's broadsides were bouncing off yesterday.  You just have to position right.

I guess it depends on how they end up balancing the economy. I have a feeling they won't set it up for us to use big ships all the time. The big ships could end up as end-game gold sinks and the profitability cutoff may be set at the Mercury or the first frigates... We'll see. 

Pavel is essentially a 2nd Rate because she is an 80-gun ship whose 24-pounders give her greater broadside weight of metal than a British 98-gun three decker.

In game she has a very slight edge on the 74 gun Bellona though, which has 24-pounders as well.