Game-Labs Forum

Questions to developers

I have some questions about the non-combat portions of this game and future plans. I'm an old-time gamer and loved titles like Uncharted Waters Online, Sid Meier's Pirates! and other older games.

First of all, I was 90% of the way through the pre-order for this game when I received a PayPal account error since I haven't used the service in about 3 years. Any chance you'll be setup for credit cards in the future without the need of a 3rd party account like PayPal?

Next: I'm a huge fan of anything dealing with the age of sail! Combat, however, is usually secondary to everything else that could potentially take place in this era. For instance, I'm an Uncharted Waters Online veteran (before it went downhill) and loved the sense of adventure in mundane things like crossing the Atlantic, due to the threat involved (plague, fire, storms, pirates, etc.). Will Naval Action always be combat-focused, or will it be more trading/crafting/exploring focused in the end?  Combat is fine, but it wasn't the primary concern/threat for most sailors back then.

The "Massive" aspect of MMO... Games like DayZ have come out recently, reintroducing rather old concepts of game servers and game hosting. I have flashbacks to getting "hosted" playing the original Rainbow Six game online where the host had a 0 ping compared to everyone else's 200+ pings. Dedicated servers in FPS games also tend to bend and alter the ruleset for the games, which was my main turn off for DayZ. Also, trying to create a "massive" environment when limited to only about 100 players kills immersion in my opinion. Will Naval Action have a commercial server(s) hosting the game like standard MMOs do, or will it rely on private, dedicated servers like DayZ and Minecraft currently use?

RPG aspects? This may have been asked, so sorry if I repeat. How many RPG aspects will be present in the final game? As in, character skills, advancement, levels, etc? Will anyone be able to buy any ship and use any equipment if they have the money or will there be a skill system in place to make people "earn" the better equipment, earn their trading skills, earn their crew members and so on?

Finally, the name "Naval Action". Referring back to a previous question of the openness of the world and game play, will this game keep the same name when it's ready to release, or will it take on a more appropriate name that reflects the "non-action" elements?

Is chain boarding action possible ? If not is it planned at any point in the development?

Sorry if the language does not explain it well. Let's say I initiate a boarding action, then a buddy initiates it as well from the other side of the opponent, then more captains join in, up to a limit of course.

I'll start by saying I'm not with Game-Labs, but I'm a forum regular.

I have some questions about the non-combat portions of this game and future plans. I'm an old-time gamer and loved titles like Uncharted Waters Online, Sid Meier's Pirates! and other older games.

First of all, I was 90% of the way through the pre-order for this game when I received a PayPal account error since I haven't used the service in about 3 years. Any chance you'll be setup for credit cards in the future without the need of a 3rd party account like PayPal?

They have stated that, once the game reaches the correct point for Steam to allow purchases through Steam, they'll allow it there (and all the payment options supported by Steam should work at that time. For now, Paypal is the way they need to process payments.

Next: I'm a huge fan of anything dealing with the age of sail! Combat, however, is usually secondary to everything else that could potentially take place in this era. For instance, I'm an Uncharted Waters Online veteran (before it went downhill) and loved the sense of adventure in mundane things like crossing the Atlantic, due to the threat involved (plague, fire, storms, pirates, etc.). Will Naval Action always be combat-focused, or will it be more trading/crafting/exploring focused in the end?  Combat is fine, but it wasn't the primary concern/threat for most sailors back then.

From the sounds of things, the Devs are focusing on ensuring there is tons of action, but they have also discussed Open World potentially including economic and other elements as well. Exploration has also been discussed as something that will be fun and profitable in the Open World. So I think you can assume that Open World will have more than just hot ship on ship action.

The "Massive" aspect of MMO... Games like DayZ have come out recently, reintroducing rather old concepts of game servers and game hosting. I have flashbacks to getting "hosted" playing the original Rainbow Six game online where the host had a 0 ping compared to everyone else's 200+ pings. Dedicated servers in FPS games also tend to bend and alter the ruleset for the games, which was my main turn off for DayZ. Also, trying to create a "massive" environment when limited to only about 100 players kills immersion in my opinion. Will Naval Action have a commercial server(s) hosting the game like standard MMOs do, or will it rely on private, dedicated servers like DayZ and Minecraft currently use?

Everything is run serverside. Responses from Admin so far seem to indicate a centralized server system, not a local hosting situation.

RPG aspects? This may have been asked, so sorry if I repeat. How many RPG aspects will be present in the final game? As in, character skills, advancement, levels, etc? Will anyone be able to buy any ship and use any equipment if they have the money or will there be a skill system in place to make people "earn" the better equipment, earn their trading skills, earn their crew members and so on?

This is likely to be dependent on your "profession". Navy Captains can likely expect their reputation with the Navy to play a huge factor in the ship that is assigned to them, etc. I'd assume as a Privateer or Merchant you'd be able to buy anything you could afford. That said, discussion is still ongoing on how access to more advanced ships such as 1/2/3rd rates would work. Skills have also been mentioned as something you can gain - for example, a skill was mentioned that would allow you to move cannon from the side into/out of a chaser position when needed.

Is that most people have graphics cards of old, gradually improve the graphics when price reduction, but once I saw a study where people the vast majority of game players, I had a powerful graphics, so if the engine of the game is improved I think open more purchases of the game as the voice of player player will run, is a great product I affirm the problem I'm waiting for arrives that improvement of the graphics engine and mechanics, to play with my PC, I hope arrives soon, greetings. :)  :)  :)

So there isnt anything planned atm. Any funding Goal to reach so we can get that? What is that Limit? You are satisfied so far with Pre-Orders?

Setting up a company in the states is in process to support kickstarter funds collection.

Would you consider supporting force feedback for my steering wheel so i can feel the waves?

No plans to support force feedback yet.

• Like 1

I apologies if this has been asked else where. But how is Games Labs going to make money with this game. Are we looking at a monthly subscription, ships bought with real money, a one of purchase etc.. what current mmo model are you guys thinking of following, Eve, Star citizen, Elite, Guild wars ect... 

In another pirate/age of sail game, Pirates of The Burning Sea, it had a dockyard system that could also be used as a fast travel. Hopefully they add a dockyard system and I'm sure they most likely will, but without the fast travel (magic) part of Pirates of The Burning Sea. I'm sure many players will want/need multiple ships and the devs will listen.

It's hard to say how they'll manage that.  IRL, I would imagine trading ships were property of trading companies and/or individuals, but ships of war were obviously owned by the state.  Captains of those ships were given command by the government so...

Not sure how it'll make sense for us to "own" SOLs, other than pirates who've taken them.

I assume that's just how the game will break from reality?

I apologies if this has been asked else where. But how is Games Labs going to make money with this game. Are we looking at a monthly subscription, ships bought with real money, a one of purchase etc.. what current mmo model are you guys thinking of following, Eve, Star citizen, Elite, Guild wars ect... 

Payment model will be similar to Guild Wars.

If the payment method its like Guildwars whats the deal with the $20 yacht? That seems like a start citizen concept.

No if it was a Star Citizen concept it would be at least $200 for a work in concept that might appear in fact within a year or two.  ;)

Being a bit more sertious though I don't actually have a problem with the yacht in so much as it would not start anybody off with a serious advantage. If you could come straight in and buy a frigate it would start to have a possible whiff of pay to win.  If they are going to raise funds by allowing you to buy sometyhing on a par with what you already have I don't have an issue.

Simply put there has to be a revenue stream for the game. If that is not a subscription what amounts to cosmetic items in that they don't give you a competitive advantage is fine by me.

I also do not have a problem with expanding gameplay and functionality using paid for  DLC as long as it is not gouging and you can see the value and justification in it.

• Like 1