Game-Labs Forum

Questions to developers

I look forward to seeing how Naval Action develops. I too would like to see a real world, real life sailing mechanics game/sim in action to allow the normal and strategic maneuvers ofreal battles. some of them took all day and if any cut off for a battle is put in place it should be that you have effectively lost sight ofthe enemy ship chasing you or being chased.

There was a very old game, i am talking late 80's, that i still have the box for. The Ancient Art of War at Sea by Broderbund. It ran on a commodore 64 off of floppy disks. This game had real life sailing mechanics and maneuvers and they actually included a 50 page book which mostly described actual sailing terms, combat tactics, sailing maneuvers with and against the wind, reloading one side or firing from the other..and much much more.

There really has not been a game since that I have seen that really utilizes all of these factors well. Normally you get close and give them a broadside.. board or run away.

So yes to see this game using all that a ship can do properly would make it above anything I can see out there right now.

It would certainly make me want to buy the game

Ferrus

why dont you write an flagsignal tutorial then?

might come in usefull later when language barrier and spelling stands in the way but not in an linefight or in current match play

not a bad idea 

not every one will be on the same ts/vent/skype channel at the same time

if you had a secret signal you/your allies would not have to spend 20-40 min running them/you down to find out that your a friendly

im sure different clans will be allies

some single flags have meanings all on their own

two helpful sites are as follows

http://www.anbg.gov.au/flags/signal-meaning.html

http://www.wingood.com/flagselect.asp

like i said earlier the devs got lots to work on atm  but in the future maybe

chillly willy

• Like 1

Boarding would be important especially for smaller ships than could not stand against much bigger and armed ships.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robert_Surcouf#Cruise_of_Confiance_and_capture_of_Kent :rolleyes:

Also i have a question for the developpers : there is a nice game on Steam : Guns of Icarus Online, with flying steampunk ships, dust, clouds, spyglass. It's not realistic at all but did you try it, and do you think you can use some of what you see in that game for Naval Action ?

http://store.steampowered.com/app/209080/

not a bad idea 

not every one will be on the same ts/vent/skype channel at the same time

if you had a secret signal you/your allies would not have to spend 20-40 min running them/you down to find out that your a friendly

im sure different clans will be allies

some single flags have meanings all on their own

two helpful sites are as follows

http://www.anbg.gov.au/flags/signal-meaning.html

http://www.wingood.com/flagselect.asp

like i said earlier the devs got lots to work on atm  but in the future maybe

There isn't a warning message for the user when targeting a friendly? That is an obvious troll invite :( The user could be greeted by a warning like "Warning: You wanna lub at ya matey?" or optionally have a green (friend) vs red (foe) outline around the targeted vessel, to enhance the users ability to distinguish friend from foe.

There isn't a warning message for the user when targeting a friendly? That is an obvious troll invite :( The user could be greeted by a warning like "Warning: You wanna lub at ya matey?" or optionally have a green (friend) vs red (foe) outline around the targeted vessel, to enhance the users ability to distinguish friend from foe.

You can look at the ship flag. Misfire on friendlies are very possible. Warnings are possible, but there are no warnings now. 

Trolling will be handled by reputation and kickvoting.

I guess this question is only valid if you manage to get the open world working but here goes:

What are your plans when it comes to ship damage and taking part in several battles afer eatchother?

For example, i attack Destraex above, he manage to get some critical damage on my hull and i loose a mast.  I somehow manage to disengage. After the battle, i notice that Destraex attacks KitLightning above. I sail into battle to help / reinforce KitLightning. Will i enter the battle with a fully repaired ship ( like in Potbs ) or do i enter the battle with a leaking hull and one mast missing because of the damage i took in previous battle?

And please note that i havnt been able to visit a port for repairs.

Hello :P I love to play games like this <3 i realy like this game tho and i wunt to be part of testing this awsome game if it can be done ... 

This game's i was tasting:

ESO
BF3/4/5
FPS'S 

PS2

And other will not smap game's name just say major one's... And if i can be part of this beta/alfa test i will be realy happy to help developer's whit it <3 I hope resive a invite in it <3 tnx for this awsome game 

• Like 1

Got a few questions here. Sorry if some of them are repeated :mellow:

1: Will you be able to name your own ship and display it proudly, or the ship's name is set default? :)

2: Is the ship/world scale same as real life, where as you could be suddenly attacked on the open sea?

3: Will port designs be rinsed and repeated if our ships are ever able to enter it? (i.e. a port looks exactly the same as the other port. This occured a lot in another game, PotBS.)

4: If ever possible, if a ship's powder magazine goes up, will riggings, wood planks, or the explosion itself damage ships that are located within a radius? Or even worse.... causing another ship to sink (This happened in Napoleon: Total War. When a ship burns and explodes, the ships next to it also get caught and eventually sink)?

5: What will happen if we accidently run our ships aground? (i.e. beached) <_<

6: For if one's a pirate, is it possible to disguise oneself as a national shipping before suddenly raising pirate colours and attacking ships? (or make merchant ships rage at the same time)              found answer, sorry.

7:Last but not least. Will swivel guns be available at close ranges?

I have not seen this question anywhere but I am wondering if a ship will be nation specific such as only British can use the Victory or Americans can use the Constitution?

Will it be possible that a battle will consist of everyone using the same ship on each side?

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Devs,

This looks promising. I have some questions:

1. Will the ships move and turn at realistic speeds or accelerated speeds?

2. Will reloading be realistic or accelerated?

3. Will all ships sink when 'dead' or will some continue to float but out of action?

Not sure yet (as we said before we are focused on doing combat mechanics right first and then start working on the travelling part). POTBS had a good design we think.

The question is - would you like to spend your precious 1-2 hours a day just travelling around a computer map or actually doing something?

Yes, I agree PotBS had an excellent design for world travel.  Don't underestimate the cool feeling of passing other players on the open seas.  Many people like to just sail around, explore and run into others; be them friends, foes, traders or militant :)   Sailing around's also a nice break from battling all the time (one may find battles along the way).  I'd hate to see this 'just' go the way of skirmish/pvp maps; although, PotBS's design for it, as an addition, just adds to gameplay and practice.  I'm not saying to copy them exactly, obviously, but appreciate you looking at their design with open eyes :)   Although an old game and showing it's age, their overall game was brilliantly designed for it's time.  Zone contention pvp, semi-open seas, robust world economy, decent customization for avatars and ships, etc. 

I for one, would love to see even basic customization at the start.  I wouldn't want friends and I to have the same/similar ship and look the exact same..  I've seen some big fleet battles where this looked the case in Naval Action.  I know that it may not come as the number one priority.  Obviously, it's all about the sailing! :lol:   Gameplay makes the game.  PotBS had some fun sailing, even if arcadey, but their avatar combat was horrid, hehe.

Just a short list of things I'd like to see, off the top of my head:

- Open Seas.  I'd love to sail the open seas with the same views used in/out of combat, by the by:)  I'd like to explore and see others I don't know out on the open seas, making friends, sharing rum, etc, heh.

- A well-designed Avatar with animations.  If I'm on a boat 100% of the time, I feel like a boat, not a boat captain.

- Great sailing gameplay/feel  (I'm sure you all will do a great job with it :)

- Great damge models

-including ship sailing characteristic changes

- Ship and avatar customization.  Again, I don't want to look exactly like my friends/others, in both regards.  Again, it may not be a priority for some, but I'd hate to see it put to the wayside.

Those are just a few things I've really wanted in a Sail sim.  My opinions, of course ;)  Naval Action looks great so far :)   I give you all credit for putting your hearts into it and looking forward to seeing everyone on the open seas :lol:

P.S.  Wasn't trying to be annoying, but I really like smiley faces :P

• Like 1

I much prefer the real world. Why create a whole new world investing time and resources, when you can use actual maps of real places and make this historically accurate with European nations exploring and settling the New World? If you want to increase the sense of adventure and exploration, black the whole map out except for the starting location and allow players to find their own way revealing the map as they sail.

If you opt for a whole new world, I'll have to opt out. There are plenty of fantasy games around, but almost no historically accurate ones on the Age of Sail. The next thing you'll be throwing in sea monsters, zombies, witches, and magic to appeal to a wider audience. Believe me its been done ad nauseam. How about something different? How about actual historical simulation? A game that actually teaches people something about our history.

There's also something else that is bothering me. Several have asked in this discussion topic if you are planning to include pirates in the game. You haven't answered the questions. If you are not going to be honest and straight forward with your potential customers and fans, you aren't going to have very many. If you don't know at this point, at least say so. If you do know and just don't want to alienate anyone this early in the game's development, then that's dishonesty. I'm getting a bad feeling about this. This forum, indeed this forum topic is for asking questions so that you the developers can answer them. If you aren't going to be open and honest, I'm done.

I agree completely with this statement.  We don't need anymore fantasy.  Just as above, block the map out and explore to discover on your map, similar to a 'fog of war'.  Thereby what you've already found will still show on the 'out of view' darkened area of your map; however, real time changes can't be seen if they're not in your field of view, i.e. moving ships, ports taken, etc.  I think this would add a great feel of immersion :D

Can I suggest no pirates but privateers, that is captains who are affiliated to a nation. And then above that the nations ships - England, France, Spain, Holland, etc. The privateers shoul donly attack trade shipping of the current enemy(ies) of their own nation, and the game world has a structure of missions for the maain national fleets, squadrons and scouting/screening frigates to undertake. Traders could be players (neutral or national merchants) or be AI/NPCs.

Not sure if this has been mentioned, but here's an idea. 

- Pick a nation... seems natural.  That doesn't necessarily mean your enemies of friend for example.

- Pick a career - this is something that can be done by talking to someone or something.  You can do this for becoming a naval officer for a nation, acquiring a nation's privateer certificate, or whatever they are called, to make money off your downs and loot.

- Pirates are diff.

- Pirates can be anyone for any nation that harms/loots others from any nation.  You don't pick this class..  you become it.  Perhaps there could be certain requirements to becoming a pirate? 

- This could, very well, also add the fun of bounties :D

I agree completely with this statement.  We don't need anymore fantasy.

try get maps and plans from the actual old world is hard and more time consuming than making a whole new world on your own.

and if you aim to make a product and claim its 100% authentic and historical it will expected to be like it.

with this you can land on your face faster than you like.

specialy after natural disasters like earthquaks(Port Royal) or hurricans the face of the carebean coastal lines changed sand banks and small islands disapeared completly.

with this in mind you will realise even if you use the heightmaps gathered by the nasa be it satelit or from the Shuttle/ISS they are only good for the raw basement.

about the other questions:

individual shipnames - maybe

realistic sailing physic - allready implemented and only need minor adjustments on the diffrent ships.

realistic ports? - the game claims to be an authentic age of sail game so it is a must.(walking an avatar person is further down the road focus is again mainly on sailing)

Ships allways sinking - is unrealistic and unhistorical earning prize money from the admirality for captureing an enemy ship is for rewarding then just sinking it... ALLWAYS

Ship customization - you can allready choose diffrend setups of cannons of size and type   colorpattern mabye together with rigging.

thats it for now from me will be back later answering the rest.

all i say is based on information and post in this very forum and can be looked up if you are bored and paitent enough.

and dont forget the join the offical steamgroup: Naval Action  MP. ( but be carefull there are 2 of them one for the english and one for russian)

just saying to avoid further confusion.

Edited by Mirones
  • Like 1

- Pirates can be anyone for any nation that harms/loots others from any nation.  You don't pick this class..  you become it.  Perhaps there could be certain requirements to becoming a pirate? 

Sorry about that.  In all the excitement, I got ahead of myself ;)   Right after I posted those I read all of this thread, hehe.

Two suggestions, if they're not already implemented.

1)  Possibility to move and resize the cannon reloading hud?  It makes my eyes go 'all wiggy' and can see future headaches with perception for me and perhaps others.  I'd like to resize it smaller and move it to the side.

2)  I'm not, but for those that are color blind, will you add different color options for some of the ui so they may see them?  I know that in some games some colorblind can't really play, i.e. red/green colorblind, etc..

Thank you very much for putting the love into this that you have!  I can't wait to see/hear more on it :lol: !

Cpt. Mads

• Like 1