Game-Labs Forum

Questions to developers

How in-depth do you envision the crew management aspect of the game?

Will officers/captain/crew have different qualities/skills that influence the outcome of events? For example, a captain that schedules gunnery practice would improve the skills of his subordinates, or a crew that goes through a terrible storm/hurricane would improve seamanship skills.

Which brings up another question: How do you envision weather impacting the game? Will storms damage rigging? Will spars break? Will crew get swept overboard?

• Initially very shallow, but we will expand it as we go. There are already simple crew focus commands where can send most of your crew to sails or to cannons or to repairs. 
  • Officers and their skills and perks will be added to the game first. And that briefly answers your second question. Officers will influence your ship performance depending on their skills and training. 
  • In real life captains avoided fighting in storm. We have not yet picked a position on how storms and very bad weather will affect the ship. 

In the right wind conditions, will ships to leeward obscure their targets with their own cannon smoke?

Computer graphics does not yet let us to fill the whole map with smoke that looks good. Currently we assume that wind is strong enough to get the smoke out of the picture fast. We plan to experiment with visual effects (including lots of smoke) once we finish with tuning combat. 

In real life captains avoided fighting in storm. We have not yet picked a position on how storms and very bad weather will affect the ship. 

thanks for your response

you've already showed some beautiful foul-weather shots of the ships - i hope we get to experience the full range of weather in the game. fog. snow. heavy thunderstorms. they can all be so exciting.

i maintain that WEATHER was the #1 enemy of mariners in the age of sail

• 2 weeks later...

Will a Captain be able to fight his ship as viewed from the quarter deck?

You have several camera points now. It might be expanded in the future. 

We have not yet decided if we want to allow the player to walk on deck or not. We will see.

How will crafting and the economy work generally?

As much as I loved the ship combat in PotBS, what got me hooked forever was the economy: being able to build everything; harvesting raw materials, hauling, building components, building ships, etc

Do you plan on a similar or better crafting system?

Thx

1) Are there any plans to include fireships? (Admittedly unpopular by 1800, but frequently used -- occasionally to great effect -- until about mid-18th century.)

2) Are there any plans to allow towing of one craft by another, either on the open sea (e.g. prizes) or in battle (e.g. a frigate towing a disabled SoL out of line to facilitate repairs)?

• Like 1

Are ship health bars planned for the final release of the game?    If they are, please just ignore my question, the answer would hurt too much.

After further reflection, I need to edit my question, Are ship health bars on enemy ships planned for the final release?   Health bars on my own ship would not be the end of the world.

Hey I would love to test this. Im a Ship Nut. I walked the decks of USS constitution many a times in Boston. And she is lovingly known to Americans as "Old Ironside" seeing as there wasnt a cannonball that could sink her.

I love the idea of the open world pirate game. I also agree with many that the maps should be of real places and of the real nations. Heck mayb toss in a few of the real pirates as NPCs like Blackbeard and such.  You know flavor it up.

You guys have done amazing and i just encourage you to keep up the hard work.

• Like 1

I love how there are no magical skills in the game. I would love to see if you guys keep it where it's all on the skill of the player.Keep up the great work.And just a side note please keep up the wonderful progress. If all goes well I am moving my soc here. :D

Admin, are there any plans to include any Leda Class heavy British frigates such as HMS Shannon and HMS Trincomalee?  How many ship models roughly are you shooting to have in the release of the game? 

I would also strongly urge you to consider adding the US Brig Niagara into the game, she has excellent sailing qualities, and adding ships that people can actually sail on today, like Niagara will bring more interest to the game and sailing in general.  Niagara has an excellent turning rate, hull speed of about 15 knots, and sails exceedingly quick in lighter winds.

If merchantmen are going to be included in this game I nominate the Lady Washington!  It would be such a fine thing to see the vessels I have sailed on simulated here! 

The french 12 pounder concorde class frigate Hermione would be an excellent choice as well, it would be a benefit for people who are interested in doing some real sailing and for those who like to see history in a real context.

Admin, are there any plans to include any Leda Class heavy British frigates such as HMS Shannon and HMS Trincomalee?  How many ship models roughly are you shooting to have in the release of the game? 

We visited Trincomalee museum in December and they promised us to install Naval Action as a permanent exhibit if we make Trincomalee in game. 

• Like 2

Aww yeah! 

All of the vessels suggested are well within the timeline, the original Niagara was constructed in 1813, Lady Washington in the 1780's, and Leda class frigates were around at that time.  HMS Shannon hammered Chesapeak in the war of 1812, she was an immensely important ship for Canada at that time!