Game-Labs Forum

Your ideal long term gameplay

-large, if not gigantic map(s), including baltic, mediterranean and indian scenarios in the years to come

-lots of different (customizable) ships on the maps, not a world dominated by hardcore players with their super vessels

-a great community (we are there already) where mature and friendly people run the show, not nolifers that cannot lose a fight

-at least 6 nations or factions to play with, non repetitive tasks to fulfill - an national command structure where humans can design some of the tasks for other players

-large battles with 100+ ships, could be separated from the sandbox mode (like a battle server)

-no p2win model, more a healthy career progression (between too fast and impossible)

Just dreaming out loud :)

I think their should be several levels of gameplay:

Battles:

1) Basically perfect, add boarding and a few new ammo types (angel or otherwise known as bar shot etc.).

2) Also add a tactical map for fleet battles, the map will only show the position of nearby enemies (as to not have a perfect advantage).

Fleets:

1) Limited to 1/25 of total player base and alliances limited to 3/25 of the total player base (no big overpowering Goon jackasses to ruin the game, I gave up on Eve because solo didn't seem fun).

2) Have tax levels, basically these are used as reserved cash, 30% on the org have to agree if a user or the org leader wants to spend it.

3) Have custom org flags, a few 1000 options, once selected the flag cannot be used by another org (but you can swap with any available flag)

4) Have ranks and positions.

Towns:

1) Can be founded on native villages, like Total War towns, castles and cities but in real time (create goods, upgrades take time, can be captured World of Tanks style by killing defenses and having an unopposed ship in the dock area for a certain amount of time.

2) Land battles can come later if possible

Ships:

1) Add weight and trading

2) Add officers and boarding

3) Add surrender and dead in water (if all masts are down and you are against a bigger nearest ship, if your crew is 90% dead and the nearest enemy has more crew or if 90% of your guns are down your ship auto surrenders.

4) Add food and supply needs, yes spare sails take cargo space and so do repair plugs and food.

5) Add unexplored navigation map.

Map:

1) Fast travel, must be faster however it must use slightly more food then normal battle, same applies with jumping into a fleet battle or defending another ship, you use more food then normal sailing (not a massive amount more).

2) Exploration has been confirmed, however I would like to find natives and then have them join me (boarding boats).

Death:

1) Insurance pays your crew and ship out at 85% (includes mods)

2) You start at your fleets home port or if you have none then the place the ship came from.

3) The new crew has no skill and unless you insure cargo and prisoners are lost.

Surrender:

1) Insurance pays you only 80% of the ship and mods

2) however you can pay a small amount to the victor and keep your skilled crew (a fixed amount depending on your crew skill) and he cannot butcher them unless you refuse to pay.

3) Your new ship has no cargo if uninsured however better crew that you have levelled up is more important then 5% more on ship.

Premium:

1) Same class  and strength of ship as non-premium, costs a lot for a line ship (like $100+ for a 1st rater), Insurance costs 40% of the same class ship (don't lose it in battle, because then you will need to save up to pay insurance).

2) Premium Account $40/year (not the Eve online price madness or WoT Price, but less advantage!), increases production and growth of offshore businesses owned by player by 20% (for a total of 1.2x speed) and gives you gold cannons to show your support (no crew XP bonus or gold ammo, I will buy premium... if it doesn't give me a fighting advantage).

I also totally agree with different wood quality and see animals and birds (especially the second 1, the 1st may be hard).

Good luck small dev team, you'll need it! :P

• Like 1

I think a lot has been mentioned allready.

I'd like to see a skirmish section next to the MMO part of the game. So, when I have little time I can do just a "quick" battle. Maybe such a skirmish mode can also be devided in a two or three levels, one more realistic and one more arcade like.

among other things I'd like to see perhaps different types of crew perhaps that you can hire for your ship like

Men who are better at manning the guns

Men who are better at boarding ships

Last set of men to make it simple would be those good at repairing the ship

Obviously they wouldn't be good at other tasks . Perhaps there could be a standard crewman average at all?

• Like 1

My thoughts on this very widereaching topic.

My qualifications to do so ;) I have played many many game over the years from tabletop in the 70's to every naval game out since I unwrapped my old spectrum and commodore 64,  I am also something of a self taught old world naval historian and enthusiast.

Repeat playability (And some games I've had on my pc for 15 years and still dabble with) and a sense of achievement when you accomplish an involved task. Recognition for achieving that goal that can be publicly shown.

Some generic items below

Combat

Excellent sailing and combat models, Good Match Making (EXTREMELY IMPORTANT!), Missions/tasks PVE & PVP, Loot, New player inclusion, Tutorials.

Notoriety

Fame or Infamy (Scoundrel, Pirate, Cad, Hero, Upstanding), Mastery, Rank (Naval), Social Rank (landed title Baron, Duke etc). Political Rank).

Your career would accumulate points toward your rank in each.  Title "Commodore Crankey, Baron of Winchester, member of parliament for Weymouth, a damned scoundrel" (Aside from adding flavour, each rank would perhaps entitle you to specific game content)

Economy

Currency, Industry (Player & Guild owned), Mastery(Crafting skills), Trading (regional and national markets), Auction houses, Regional resources, Convoys, Speculation(Investment)

Guild Management

Membership, Visibility (1 mast pendant reserved for guild colours), Guild designed pendant, Ranks, in game mechanics, in game message/event calender options.

Communication

Guild, squadron, Local, Regional, National, chat mechanisms, Naval Action TS3, Guild channels community moderated,.

New Players

Tutorials, Player worth, Starter or shallow area challenges,

A player shouldn't have to be max level / max equipped before they become useful in Realm vs Realm or other PVP activity.

There should be no impossible odds situations that you cannot choose to try and avoid.

Depth throughout (should you wish to get deeply involved with any aspect of the game).

FUN ! Lets remember that any computer game is designed as a means to while away some spare time and have fun sharing the experience with others. Not everyone can put in the same hours, make the game enjoyable for those who can spend 2 hours a week just as much as those who play 24/7.

I hope no-one minds my rambling list and time for work rather than lack of ideas bought my post to a close :)

Have fun everyone and see you in game soon. Salute  o7

• Like 1

I think the graphics engine is there for a beautiful world. I would love to see a game world that is rich with life. By that I mean it's customizable, players can build actual structures in port, the port can evolve into something unique from other ports. Ships can be fitted with customizable figureheads, lanterns.

Also if sea life was present that breath life into the game.

I have a list of things I put in other forums but I've also read some good ones here.

-Cannonball

• Like 1

these are some awesome ideas, i think the most important for me is gameplay (battle/worldmap), Economy, Customization of ship, and since this a ship game the chance to privateer for guilds for (rewards).

iam not a huge fan of ingame quests as ive played alot of thoes as im sure others have too, i look forwards to the open world view and the chance to just sail around and enjoy doing sailor things :rolleyes::P .

Open world where your actions matter

When I do a supply run I want to know how much my effort helped the situation in clear numbers. 

Crew interaction

I want to be able to hire my own crew, and the crew should have skills which can improve over time to some degree (some guys can improve only little but a rare talented lad could improve a lot). 

I'd like to talk to my crew in similar fashion as in did in Mount&Blade games. Simple questions like: What do you think of our current situation? Is the crew happy? Do you and Midshipman Hornblower get along? etc. I want to be able to take disciplinary actions when crew misbehaves to maintain order on board.

• Like 2

My ideal?  

To be patrolling in a frigate off an enemy port.  Spotting the enemy fleet setting out in a not so uncertain direction.  Raising the alarm as our fleet sets out to intercept.  Fighting off frigates attempting to remove our scout(s) and watching as the two fleets engage in combat on the open sea.  

That or crossing paths with a convoy and attempting to relieve them of some valuables and a ship or two  :D

I am beginning to like the idea of CHOICE - perhaps a lobby with MORE choices?

Several PVE training grounds - PVE with killer AI, target AI, and NO AI - in light, med and heavy?

PVP 1v1 in light, medium and heavy

PVP melee style in light, medium and heavy

Freighter armed and not in light, medium and heavy - build a CONVOY to survive

----

I don't want spells and potions at ALL!

Open world - could just be ONE choice on the menu?

NAVAL --- yes!

ACTION --- yes!

I am beginning to like the idea of CHOICE - perhaps a lobby with MORE choices?

Several PVE training grounds - PVE with killer AI, target AI, and NO AI - in light, med and heavy?

PVP 1v1 in light, medium and heavy

PVP melee style in light, medium and heavy

Freighter armed and not in light, medium and heavy - build a CONVOY to survive

----

I don't want spells and potions at ALL!

Open world - could just be ONE choice on the menu?

NAVAL --- yes!

ACTION --- yes!

It's going to be open world MMO. Current PVP and PVE options are for testing purposes.

It's going to be open world MMO. Current PVP and PVE options are for testing purposes.

If we expect to get newbies - there needs to be a place for them to learn.

If they are just "cannon fodder" they will quit in droves.

Simple really

I don't know which dies are cast and which are not - so I will answer the OP's question.

A game dominated by Captain Sparrow pirate boats that dominate even the superpowers of the day. ;)

A game where cartoon character disney captains run around shouting aaaarrrhhhgg ;)

haha plz no :P

i think every crew menber should have a story or a set of traits (like dose not listen well to comands and responds well to whipping).

oh i would love to see crew sing sea shanties as i pace the deck, this from ac4 was cool

I don't see My son John.  That play list is not good enough!  -_-

Lesson?  Don't run a race with a cannon ball.  It won't end well.  :lol:

Also missing this classic...

:blink:

Now, back on topic!

Didn't the admin say that pirates will be kill on site for everyone? If so then they will be unable to sell stolen goods themselves in ports (talking pirates not privateers).

If so, here is an example of how the addition of a simple game mechanic would create a unique risk/reward scenario for the lone pirate while also creating a new 'role' for willing merchant types. (For the record I do not want to see a thousand pirates or pirate nations).

The function is where two ships can anchor side by side, or within rowboat distance, and exchange goods and money, away from a port, in a bay or inlet, or even open sea if they wish.

Once engaged in the exchange both ships will be extremely handicapped even if in an observant state, having to lose whatever goods are currently in the water to quickly make sail and beat to quarters.

If they are in fact KOS, then naturally some merchant/economy players may choose to become the grey market. They meet a known player who has the KOS status, in a pre determined location to buy pirated goods. This will also make the most use out of the open world and any potential exploration and charting.

They find an out of the way bay and then begin their illegal trading, the merchantman is risking being seen dealing with KOS player and they are both risking being caught with their pants down dead in the water. I'd imagine more often than not they will get away with it.

So when a patrolling ship spots the two anchored, through his spyglass from 4 miles away and knows what is going on, bam instant high seas drama. Or shallow waters drama.

No complex code or forced scripting to make this happen, just a KOS for non-privateer pirates and a function to buy/sell/swap goods while anchored out of port.

It could be an ongoing cat and mouse gameplay, pirates and grey market merchants trying to find hidden spots while pirate hunters, clans on patrol etc, scan inlets, islands and bays for the nefarious activity.

I think any exchange of goods, if this is implemented, should take awhile, depending on ship size and quantity of good of course, but at least 20 minutes of game time. That's only half the length of most battles.

If it is too quickly done then it defeats the whole point of it. 

• Like 1

There will be smuggling.  

I wouldn't be surprised if some enterprising economy players would pay good coin for goods taken off a competitor or merely to have them for cheaper than it would cost in labor and time.  Then reselling them on the open market.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

My wish list

1. Someone at the tiller of each ship - looks weird without

2. Dynamic weather

3. An on-screen compass

4. Some bird and sea-life

5. Surrender option

6. Ship on fire option (more common than sinking in real life)

7. Night actions

BTW - excellent game!

My wish list

1. Someone at the tiller of each ship - looks weird without

2. Dynamic weather

3. An on-screen compass

4. Some bird and sea-life

5. Surrender option

6. Ship on fire option (more common than sinking in real life)

7. Night actions

BTW - excellent game!

and a ship's cat!