Game-Labs Forum

Arcade vs Simulation  

552 members have voted

1. 1. What is your preference, Arcade style fast-paced action or Minute detail simulatin

• Arcade all the way, content should be close packed and readily available.
    • Arcade if I look for it; I should not have to look longer than 1 minute before I can get into the action.
    • Arcade is good, but I like the taste of realism as well; I want good looking combat and don't mind some sailing to get there.
    • Balanced; combat should not be a complex affair, but it should at least feel historically accurate to the casual observer.
    • The game should pay attention to detail, combat should allow for reenacting historical battles, without too much logistical and time consuming preparation.
    • Historically accurate simulation balanced for gameplay; enable historic battles where good planning and preparation can mean the difference between winning or losing.
    • Sailing simulation all the way; it takes time to form up the lines of battle, if you did the homework and logistics are sound, you can outmanouvre the enemy into defeat.

There has been some discussion about what people would like to see from a game like this. The discussion clearly shows that some people lean more towards the fast-paced action while others are looking more for a imersive age of sail.

What is your preference, cast your votes now.

• Like 4

I doubt reenacting historical battles is a good idea in the game since there always will be balance issues, BUT! The main thing is to make a naval battle (maneuvering reload time etc.) as close to real as possible. This is about proportions

its your opinion. state it in the poll. dont affect someones opinion. else this thread is going to be a huge discussion.

thank you

I didn't meant to affect any opinion, I posted that just in case I couldn't find the righ poll option to vote. As I said the main focus should be in making naval battles as close to real as possible with possible sacrifice in how-to-engage a battle. I also ran into a little bit of confusion with "reenacting historical battles" term. If that just means realistic battle gameplay - that's ok. I think it should be clarified as the link on the vote posted in russian subforum, someone else might run into confusions as well

I definitely am leaning to the more historical side of the spectrum. Planning and logistics should be needed for your more larger battles. However your smaller duels should end up being less so. Historical Battles could probably left for quick battles or skirmishes, RvR events (If implemented)

To be completely honest, my real vote would have been between the 3rd and 2nd to last options.

I think some kind of logistics concern needs to be present pre battle, in order to properly tie in with the economy. However, it is important that the game develop ways to take the tedium out of this, so that people can get in to the fun reasonably fast. How much ammo and provisions you have should still be a factor however, you shouldn't be able to sail round the world and then fight as well as a ship that just left port.

• Like 1

Voted Balanced.  I'd love something about 1/2 way between Silent Hunter and AssCred4 Black Flag. 

But not a simulation. Its a widely held opinion that the obsession with realism killed flight sims for most gamers. The lat think I want is to log on for an hours play and spend that just setting the yards, and adjusting ballast so that I can leave port. 

• Like 1

I'm pleased to see the voting so far indicates a preference for fair historical accuracy, quick intuitive type combat system along with an emphasis on sailing ability. I suspect the term 'historically accurate simulation balanced for game play' most accurately represents what the early dedicated player group most wants for this simulation. I voted for the 5th, the most chosen option, btw.

• Like 1

Simulation would be my preference, though I'm aware that some concessions must be made. Honestly, I don't think it's possible to simulate the sensation of sailing (see post elsewhere), so really it's the beauty and power of these wonderfully alive machines that the devs should be trying to get across. This requires some real world concerns - it's essential that trying to claw off a lee shore should be tense as anything, you should talk to your vessel to try and get her to pinch that extra point into the wind - but doesn't require knowing the difference between "aye" and "aye aye" or futtocks and futtock shrouds :)

• Like 2

Hello everybody!

I think that, games that have the micromanagement aspect in them but realism at the same time, like East India Company and Commander:Conquest of the Americas to Kalypso games like Port Royale series, Patrician (not the combat part in those 2 :P) etc. actually sell very good and a vast of people prefer in gameplay simulation with a combined strategy and realism kind of games.

This is my opinion as I am a gamer who prefers realism at least in the combat part rather than the micromanagement part but I enjoy them as long as they are well balanced!

So, in conclusion I voted: The game should pay attention to detail, combat should allow for reenacting historical battles, without too much logistical and time consuming preparation.

Regards!

I tied to find an option to close the poll, but I can't seem to find any option for that?

@Admin: Could you please close this thread? I think it has served its purpose (casual informative voting) and is overshooting it by now.

Sorry to be an arse Brigand, but whilst I agree it's probably served it's original purpose, I only joined the forum a day or two ago and I really appreciated this poll and this easy chance I felt it gave me to have my say without getting involved with the whole typing thing :)

I don't know if any of us can see numbers/rate of new members on the forum, but if it's still riding the post-RPS high, then this poll might still have a use...if only to make new members feel important :)

Ah, I asked for the poll to be closed be cause it was more or less a spin-off from the discussion on travel times. The problem with the poll is that it is started by me instead of someone on the development team. In the mean time, the developers seem to have a quite firm idea of how they would like the game to turn out.

So people could easily assume that them casting a vote here could influence the direction the development of game will take. As such, this poll only serves to breed false assumptions. Hence my question for the poll to be closed. (Either that, or give it development approval and make it a sticky I guess.)

Cheers,

Brigand

• Like 1

I am not sure it breeds false assumptions

The poll confirmed what we expected. 60% would prefer good detailed game without extreme hardcore realism. 40% would like a simulation. 

lets give it more time

What's good is that no-one wants arcade motorboat sailing  :)

• Like 3

th

I am not sure it breeds false assumptions

The poll confirmed what we expected. 60% would prefer good detailed game without extreme hardcore realism. 40% would like a simulation. 

lets give it more time

What's good is that no-one wants arcade motorboat sailing  :)

That's about the size of it from my end. I'd like to the focus to be more toward detail and historical content. Good level of realism but not realism at the expense of fun nor accessibility. Gotta have a game that will attract a good number of players, however it would still be players that enjoy a certain type of game. I tend to believe POTBS went for as broad an audience as possible, and in the end that might of been a mistake. FPS players really don't like sims to much, nor vice versa.  Trying to please both almost must end in failure. 

Not sure there's such a division between fun and realism, as you put it, particularly in this area. Surely the attraction here is that it's an Age of Sail game, so it's vital to communicate through playing something of what made that period so important. To try to do that without keeping a close eye on the real activities, methods, trials and tribulations is, I think, a mistake. One I think PotBS made - it was all fart and no poo, too close to Hollywood and too far from the sea. It works both ways: being caught in a blow in real life is no fun, but having your in-game hauling trip livened up by having to deal with sail set etc by a shift in the wind could be quite entertaining.

I understand your point, just think it's one to be a little wary of :)

Baggy

As long as the vessel maneuvers like it would in reality i will play it.  If not i wont.  Square riggers dont come about like modern sloops.  Nor do they point as high.  Stuck in irons, momentum, moving backwards during a tack, the list goes on.  The last decent atempt at a sailing warfare game was Age of Sail Privateer's Bounty and it was far from realistic sailing characteristics.  Its the last one i know of that didnt allow you to sail straight into the wind.  Lets just say there is no good sailing warfare simulator out to date and privateers bounty is the only one i have cared to play more than one time and it is an absolute dinosaur!

• Like 1

Until now I can tellyou:

ships DO move backwards when your dead (or some points around) in the wind.

You can use the windpreassure to help the ship turn. and it works very well.

We are able to either let the crew adjust yards(autopilot) or do it ourselfs. When turning through the wind I do it myself and leave the fine-adjustments to the autopilot while sailing before the wind;)

So stay tuned and maybe get an invite someday.

At least when its released It will be damm epic (knocking on wood) cause right now I totally love the gameplay.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I'd like a realistic open world (whole real world, full PvP, loss-based, complex economy and player diplomacy), and naval combat features based on realism (sailing physics, weather, crew management), but taking distance from it anytime when needed to provide an interesting and tactical gameplay - without throwing immersion over board.

• Like 1

The game should pay attention to detail, combat should allow for reenacting historical battles, without too much logistical and time consuming preparation.

This is the best option that is the most realistic. Ideally you'd have the best of both; a slider in the options. But I can't see that as realistic in terms of developing time (though I hope I might be wrong here), as it would probably be essentially two games.