Game-Labs Forum

>>>Beta v1.4 Feedback<<< [Final version released]

Nick Thomadis

@Nick Thomadis

I encountered another major bug. After updating to the 1.4.0.0 Update 7 I don't see GUI in Shipyard after pressing the New Design button. I see the top hull there and can even rotate the view by mouse but there is no interface. Also, I'm getting the game freeze quite often during the "Building ships" step between the turns.image.png

Update. There is a possibility to turn on the GUI with the H key but this workaround is still buggy as you won't be able to leave Shipyard due to the inactivity of the buttons and you won't be able to switch to another hull type.

Edited by HaMaT

58 minutes ago, HaMaT said:

@Nick Thomadis

I encountered another major bug. After updating to the 1.4.0.0 Update 7 I don't see GUI in Shipyard after pressing the New Design button. I see the top hull there and can even rotate the view by mouse but there is no interface. Also, I'm getting the game freeze quite often during the "Building ships" step between the turns.image.png

Update. There is a possibility to turn on the GUI with the H key but this workaround is still buggy as you won't be able to leave Shipyard due to the inactivity of the buttons and you won't be able to switch to another hull type.

I have not seen this bug,   Have you verified the integrity of your game files?

• Nick Thomadis changed the title to >>>Beta v1.4 Feedback<<< [Update 8]

[Update 8]
- Improved further the speed and effectiveness of auto-design processes, speeding up campaign turns and the generation of fleets. 
Please Restart Steam to get this update fast.

Note: Everyone having crashes or increased turn delays in his ongoing campaigns must start a new campaign. Some ship designs due to the change of models and weight differences may have bugged the current ship designs. We are sorry that this happens in the beta now, but it should be the last time.

In the next update only new ships will be added using the current base, so the campaigns should be stable from now on.

• Like 9

4 hours ago, Nick Thomadis said:

- Fixed "Withdraw" button not having effect in port strike missions with no warship opponent.

This thing works now, but...Damage to the port is still being dealt. Like we're releasing merchant ships, but we're still bombing the port. It would be nice if it was the other way around.

21.png

• Like 5

2 hours ago, Nick Thomadis said:

[Update 8]
- Improved further the speed and effectiveness of auto-design processes, speeding up campaign turns and the generation of fleets. 

Note: Everyone having crashes or increased turn delays in his ongoing campaigns must start a new campaign. Some ship designs due to the change of models and weight differences may have bugged the current ship designs. We are sorry that this happens in the beta now, but it should be the last time.

In the next update only new ships will be added using the current base, so the campaigns should be stable from now on.

Started a new campaign, was going well for about a year, then got 2 turns in a row where it was stuck on building new ships. First turn I had to exit to the menu and load back in. The second turn, the game crashed completely. Submitted a bug report for the first one, but obviously could not for the second one.

What's weird is that it seems to actually be just stuck on the screen doing something, as when I load back in the game loads into the month that was loading when it froze. 

Edited by ijp8834
  • Like 1

@Nick Thomadis Update 8. Major economy bug.

1. Start a new campaign for any country

2. Memorize your income

3. Go to the shipyard via the New Design button

4. Do nothing in shipyard and just leave it

5. Check your income. It will change and can become either lower or higher.

Not sure if it's a regression or a new bug. Also reported from in-game bug report.

• Like 2

There is something weird and unclear to me going on in the economy. Was playing for Italy. After ending a turn in May 1892 I lost 3 million of monthly income. Don't know why. All ships are in ports. There is no war. No rebellions. Nothing. Just a regular turn. Where did my money go?

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, HaMaT said:

@Nick Thomadis Update 8. Major economy bug.

1. Start a new campaign for any country

2. Memorize your income

3. Go to the shipyard via the New Design button

4. Do nothing in shipyard and just leave it

5. Check your income. It will change and can become either lower or higher.

Not sure if it's a regression or a new bug. Also reported from in-game bug report.

Illustration. Before going to the shipyard:

22.png

After:

23.png

• Like 3

Ok, got a few playing hours in and I have to say, other than the cursed building new ships freeze, it's pretty good.

BUT

My only real complaint is that Armor limits are WAY too restrictive. I do not understand why this cannot be implemented as a soft limit, like speed. What is even more insane, is there is a hard armor limit, but there is also sometimes a soft limit well below that hard limit, so the systems to implement that exist, but just are not being used for some reason?

Limitations on player design are bad decisions 100% of the time. Please either implement a soft limit at the current armor hard limits, or revert armor back to how it was before this beta, which did have limits, but the limits were based on the reality of the best armored ships of a certain type. Just because the British didn't armor their first gen Battlecruisers in reality does not me no one could. The Germans did, and I don't see why British hull designers (AKA US, THE PLAYER) could not figure out how to protect their battle cruisers better if that was their design goal.

What is more telling is the game already drifts from reality with what hulls are available. If the game wanted to be realistic, you would only get 1 Battlecruiser hull for the entire game when playing as the US, instead of the several that exist in the game.

This game is not trying to perfectly emulate history, but to allow players to have a set of tools to design and build ships according to their own doctrine. Please don't take away player freedom like that, it makes the game duller and less interesting overall.

• Like 5

Can the different hull unlocks that are the exact same hull, just with a bigger displacement be merged into a singular hull unlock, but work like cruisers and destroyers and the bigger displacement allowances be what you unlock. It's annoying thinking you've unlocked a new hull, but in reality, you're just redesigning the same hull but bigger again

• Like 2

On 9/15/2023 at 3:10 AM, Nick Thomadis said:

"- Mark1, Mark2 single guns of 2-inch, 3-inch caliber no longer use the much heavier and bigger shielded model."

I thought they were joking/trolling.... 2 and 3???

Anyway I just checked, 4' aswell. Thank you very much.

they kept the turret on 5 and 6 though. anyway life is a compromise, negotiation... 4 is.. enough, thank you again

Since update 7 or 8 I have not been able to start a new campaign. The game doesn't seem to hang but stays forever at januari 1907 (started a 1910 campaign).

I even did a full reinstall and deleted the entire dreadnoughts appdata folder

with old saves being incompatible and no possibility of starting a new campaign it means the game is unplayable for me atm

Edited by Knobby
  • Sad 1

3 hours ago, Knobby said:

Since update 7 or 8 I have not been able to start a new campaign. The game doesn't seem to hang but stays forever at januari 1907 (started a 1910 campaign).

I even did a full reinstall and deleted the entire dreadnoughts appdata folder

with old saves being incompatible and no possibility of starting a new campaign it means the game is unplayable for me atm

ok so it just took really really long. left it running and went out, came back hours later and campaign was finally loaded. previously i left it for 20m but that wasn't long enough yet

Ok, I understand there have been major changes to the game over the last couple weeks.

Still, I'm getting upset over the fact that campaign games I've invested many, many hours over months playing, disappear with updates. I've now experienced four such occasions, and frankly I'm getting tired of it.

First, there was a 1890 campaign game as the Japanese, that I was really doing well in, with 128 battles fought up until February 1919; was destroyed and erased then the latest major beta update was released early last week.

So, I start a new 1890 campaign, this time as the United States early this past week, spending hours playing over the last week playing, getting to October 1893 at war with Spain; and I start the game back up this morning, and because of a patch to the latest beta, the campaign game is gone again.

This is getting on my nerves!

Maybe the Developers need to do some serious game testing, before they releases major updates!

Also, warnings concerning pending updates, or patches will destroy existing campaigns, is in order. It would be very nice to have the option to block updates that will destroy existing campaign games.

Edited by Gregg

25 minutes ago, Gregg said:

Ok, I understand there have been major changes to the game over the last couple weeks.

Still, I'm getting upset over the fact that campaign games I've invested many, many hours over months playing, disappear with updates. I've now experienced four such occasions, and frankly I'm getting tired of it.

First, there was a 1890 campaign game as the Japanese, that I was really doing well in, with 128 battles fought up until February 1919; was destroyed and erased then the latest major beta update was released early last week.

So, I start a new 1890 campaign, this time as the United States early this past week, spending hours playing over the last week playing, getting to October 1893 at war with Spain; and I start the game back up this morning, and because of a patch to the latest beta, the campaign game is gone again.

Maybe the Developers need to do some serious game testing, before they releases major updates!

Also, warnings concerning pending updates, or patches will destroy existing campaigns, is in order. It would be very nice to have the option to block updates that will destroy existing campaign games.

beta participation is voulentary.....

In beta one should always, always, anticipate wipes, and the right to complain, if one participates, is completely gone.

Play in steam offline mode to not recieve updates. Make sure the game is set to only update when launched (will make sure it isnt updating while playing a game that needs steam to be online)

"Maybe the Developers need to do some serious game testing, before they releases major updates!"
I do apologize for chuckling in my imaginary beard here, and just gonna repeat the word <beta> here

Edited by MDHansen
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Gregg said:

It's the core issue with this game. Every time the game is updated - campaigns & saves are lost, all balanced & playable designs are ruined. So it's either restoring ALL designs to playable state after each update AGAIN & AGAIN (until you get sick of it) or never update the game & play the version around which you made lots of saves & designs. 

5 hours ago, MDHansen said:

Play in steam offline mode to not recieve updates. Make sure the game is set to only update when launched (will make sure it isnt updating while playing a game that needs steam to be online)

You can also go old-school, create a shortcut on your desktop to the .exe, and launch it that way.

Anyone who's played modded games installed through a proprietary game service probably does this anyway, but for those who don't, it's an easy option that will leave Steam unaffected.

• Like 2

I started a new campaign (France, 1920, normal difficulty) with the last update and few years after start I encounter the same situation as with previous versions: I have plenty of monnay (several tens of billions, with a monthly increase of more than 1 billion, with all invest slides to max) but I can't use it to build new ships because my shipyard capacity is too small. This is less visible in a 1890 starting campaign because I can increase shipyard max size to increase shipyard capacity every 2 years but even in this case it remains my main ship building capacity limitation. I'd be pleased if I could invest monnay directly to increase the global shipyard capacity of my country, and avoid this situation where I continue to increase the max size of a shipyard having the capacity to build a ship of more than 300000T, just to (slowly) increase the total building capacity. 

On 9/24/2023 at 1:44 AM, HaMaT said:

@Nick Thomadis

I just experienced the same missing GUI issue.

Occurs when trying new design option or view > refit option (view option still works as normal). View > Copy design option partially works as intended, but somehow technology was capped to the previous design (in my case missing steam turbines, TNT I).

Tested on USA dreadnought BB, CL, DD design, same result. I only encountered this when trying to refit my dreadnought II BB with steam turbine, TNT I, and some other researches (I forgot, maybe hull strapping?).

GUI can be turned on with buttons that activates menus (e.g. escape for main menu), and the model is editable/refit-able/saveable. 

However, when trying to leave the shipyard to campaign map (main menu > leave shipyard, exit button), without saving the design, the ship model will disappear, and the screen stays/stuck. Button seems to be pressable (pressing animation plays) but does not do anything.

When trying to leave the shipyard to campaign map (main menu > leave shipyard, exit button), after saving the design, the ship model will still show (as normal), but unable to change models or leave shipyard. Unable to choose or copy design, exit button/leave shipyard/exit to main menu button does not work. Design is delete-able, but the model stays. and other issues persist.

• Like 1

• Nick Thomadis changed the title to >>>Beta v1.4 Feedback<<< [Update 9]

[Update 9]
- Fixed critical issue of the autodesign creating delays. The new side barbette freedom was not "hard checked' for fire arc blocking so the AI often put side barbettes obscuring main guns and cancelling the design in multiple tries.
- Fixed other critical issues which could create unbuildable ships.
- Other minor fixes.

***Saves had to be reset. Please delete your shared designs that may be incompatible or repair them***

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2