Game-Labs Forum

>>>v1.1+ Feedback<<<(Latest Update: v1.2.9R)

Nick Thomadis

Now that we are looking at the game being out of early access and into full release, some time needs to be taken to polish up some of the UI.  For this post, I will be focusing specifically on the Research Tab.  

For this list, I am using a 1940 Japan start so I do not know about the "completed" tree, only the items up to this point at the start of the campaign.  This means that any player that starts in any era will eventually find these issues.

Vocabulary:
"Ship Flaws" -- there are bonuses that state that they cut down on ship flaws by X%.  What does that mean?  Are we cutting down on the chance of ship flaws happening or the amount of effect the flaws have on the ship or both?
"Long Range" -- this is mentioned multiple times but gives no indication as to where the transition between short range and long range takes place.  Is it 10 km?  20 km?  50% of your main gun's maximum range?

Items that do not have any information at all (this includes part unlock list, bonuses, or ability unlock like "Minesweeping 1" as an example):

Boilers:
Advanced Small Funnels I
Advanced Small Funnels II
Advanced Medium Funnels I
Advanced Medium Funnels II
Advanced Big Funnels I
Advanced Big Funnels II
Advanced Big Funnels III
Advanced Big Funnels IV
Advanced Big Funnels V
Advanced Destroyer Funnels I
Advanced Destroyer Funnels II
Advanced Destroyer Funnels III
Advanced Destroyer Funnels IV
Advanced Destroyer Funnels V
Advanced Battleship Funnels I
Advanced Battleship Funnels II
Advanced Battleship Funnels III
Advanced Battleship Funnels IV
Advanced Battleship Funnels V
Advanced Battleship Funnels VI

Control Station:
Small Towers I
Small Towers II
Small Towers III
Destroyer Towers I
Destroyer Towers II
Capital Ship Towers I
Capital Ship Towers II
Capital Ship Towers III
Capital Ship Towers IV
Capital Ship Towers V
Capital Ship Towers VI
Advanced Towers I
Advanced Towers II
Advanced Towers III
Advanced Towers IV
Advanced Towers V
Advanced Towers VI

The following listed items are a little different.  Instead of no information at all, they have a place holder <?> instead.

Hull Strengthening:
New Structural Steel -- has bonuses listed, but <?> under new hulls available.
Improved Structural Steel -- has bonuses listed, but <?> under new hulls available.
Longitudinal strength of hull girder I -- has bonuses listed, but has two separate new hull available sections, one for Battleship II and one for Semi-Dreadnaught
Longitudinal strength of hull girder I -- has bonuses listed, but has one new hull available section and one obsolete hull section, both have <?> listed only
Dreadnaught Improvements I -- has one new hull available section and one obsolete hull section, both have <?> listed only
Dreadnaught Improvements II -- has <?> under new hulls available.
Lightweight Fittings -- has bonuses and new hulls unlocked listed, but <?> under obsolete hulls
Hull Form Optimization -- has bonuses and new hulls unlocked listed, but <?> under obsolete hulls
Large Battleship Hulls -- has <?> under new hulls available

Cruiser Design:
3500 Tons Light Cruiser -- has <?> under new hulls available
6000 Tons Light Cruiser -- has <?> under new hulls available
8500 Tons Light Cruiser -- has <?> under new hulls available
10000 Tons Light Cruiser -- has obsolete hulls correctly listed, but has <?> under new hulls available
11000 Tons Light Cruiser -- has <?> under new hulls available
12500 Tons Light Cruiser -- has <?> under new hulls available
Modern Cruisers II -- has <?> under obsolete hulls
8000 Tons Heavy Cruiser -- has <?> under obsolete hulls, also description does not match: "CA up to 8500 tons displacement"
10000 Tons Heavy Cruiser -- has <?> under new hulls available, also description does not match: "CA up to 9500 tons displacement"
12000 Tons Heavy Cruiser -- has <?> under new hulls available
12500 Tons Heavy Cruiser -- has one new hull available section and one obsolete hull section, both have <?> listed only
13500 Tons Heavy Cruiser -- has <?> under obsolete hulls
15000 Tons Heavy Cruiser -- has <?> under new hulls available
16000 Tons Heavy Cruiser -- has <?> under new hulls available
17000 Tons Heavy Cruiser -- has <?> under new hulls available
18000 Tons Heavy Cruiser -- has <?> under new hulls available
19000 Tons Heavy Cruiser -- has <?> under new hulls available
Advanced Battle Cruiser III -- has <?> under obsolete hulls
Advanced Battle Cruiser V -- has <?> under obsolete hulls

Destroyer Design:
1600 Tons Destroyer -- has <?> under new hulls available
1900 Tons Destroyer -- has one new hull available section and one obsolete hull section, both have <?> listed only
2800 Tons Destroyer -- has <?> under new hulls available
4500 Tons Destroyer -- has <?> under new hulls available

I will see what I can do about going through the other nations tech trees to see if it is an issue with the research item itself or if each nation has its own issues as time permits.

Also, would like to see the developers thoughts on this kind of feature in the Research Tab:

Edited by Suribachi
formatting, added vocabulary term
  • Like 7

Bug: Quad turrets have a different barrel length when compared to non-quad turrets on certain tech levels. Tried to make a KGV class in my 1930s Britain campaign, but the Mark 5 quad 356mm guns on the modern battleship hull have a different length to the non quads. :(

On 2/7/2023 at 6:48 PM, o Barão said:

o7! @havaduck in large battles, are you using "NH II" option A or option B?

I ask you this, because the option A uses a RTX shader, that improves the graphics but with worse performance. In small battles with good rig you will probably not notice any difference, but in large battles the rig will probably struggle.

In that case, where you need more GPU power, I recommend switching to option B. Option B does not include the RTX shader and the performance impact is irrelevant. 0–2 fps.

Hi mate! Thanks for trying to help me. Truth be told, I dont know what I am using but I am guessing its Option B. I tried to search for that NH II in the menu but couldnt find it, not in home and not in settings.

Ah it says it right there a few posts down ...... now I feel stupid. ^^ I am using your original new horizons, I didnt even know there was a new one.

Thing is, I dont think it mattered. Quickly firing up the game (I did test this in the past, but wanted to rule it out first to avoid demanding better performance when the issue is mod-eque):

Its 36 ships, too small for real stutter but its the biggest I could get quickly.

dtpbBmH.jpg

Ignore the maneuvering, I just threw the ships at the enemy as quickly as I could but looking back, maybe I should have played this normally and controlling each ship individually as there are not enough broadsides going in straining the engine ........

(Game has to be running, because otherwise the enginge quickly stabilizes and performance is ok)

First pair:

xia7hVY.jpg

AZ6KSUi.jpg

Another pair:

qpu9Xer.jpg

904Xf2n.jpg

I tried some more but there is virtually no difference. Off tends to drop the utzilization bei a few %, which makes sense, but nothing serious. Hell, I could turn off AA (which should be big performance drain) but I found it to simply not matter (so I leave it at 4x). If the battle is big and losts of ships firing/hitting then the enginge croaks and performance is garbage, which ......

On 2/7/2023 at 6:48 PM, ZorinW said:

I am running it on a Ryzen 9 5950X and the performance is still rubbish on occasion. No surprise there, since the game doesn't use more than one core...

... is exactly as expected. Thank for letting me/us know. Tough I thought it was dual-core usage with windows and such on the 3rd.

Edited by havaduck
  • Like 1

when i hit 1938 in my UK 1930 start campaign and unlocked triple base propellant, it was time to experiment. With the buff high muzzle velocity just got to range and accuracy, and the massive nerf my preferred style of shorter barrel low MV plunging morter fire got, i wondered what i could do with the changes. Turns out its tube powder mostly at fault for my shorter barrel guns having range in the mid teens all the sudden, that lack of volatility is definitely at play inside the barrel now and you would need to spend tonnage and money on longer barrels if you want to keep defaulting to using it, its safe but junk now imo. At least cordite and dunite is MV neutral, and safe enough with some citadel armor. Triple base actually buffing muzzle velocity, TNT2 a tiny bit too, throw on light shells, ballistic caps, and its like giving your ship a 1980 refit with space age powder and sabot flechette shells. Take a 1940 mk4 15 in gun, At stock barrel length your standard AP shells are over 1100m/s with over 40km of range, at as low as -15% barrel length your shells can still be chugging along at around 850m/s with at least 25km range, all you really need.

Its not just the main guns that get this quantum leap in performance, anything the mains don't sink get killed by extensive fire from an unrelenting hale of tiny 2.9in +16% barrel length secondary that can shoot out to 16km. Other secondaries are a bit supurfalace at that point, though 6in can reach out to 25km and 8in all the way out to 30km if your into that.

I'm used to ROFLstomping the AI but now my ships don't even take damage anymore, the enemy ships die to quick. While refitting my ~25BCs and BB to this spec, the 30 CAs I refited first deleted 6 rival navies with 11.9 and 2.9 in gun fire alone. Japan and France dissolved, Italy is so traumatized all it does is crank out subs now, Austria Hungry had Croatia revolt and suddenly had no ports, china and the soviet union are so far too big to fail.

I had 91 provinces conquered before i unlocked triple base, if only my tiny 2 million man army wasn't stretched to thin to further capitalize on this.

Just curious , each time if your fleet outside the port that meet enemies fleet or clash with them ,even if your fleet recieve no damage after the battle they will always return to port regardless how much ammo or fuel your fleet spent . Is that always the case or is it just a bug ?

7 hours ago, Dave P. said:

Do we know what causes the "can't trade" error after some ally offers to buy a ship and I click "yes"? Is there a limit to how many ships I can build for allies at one time?

The sea-ways between you and them are blockaded, I'm pretty sure.
I've never had that happen when I'm at peace.

4 hours ago, Urst said:

The sea-ways between you and them are blockaded, I'm pretty sure.
I've never had that happen when I'm at peace.

If that's the case, IMO the logic needs some rework based at least on relative fleet sizes or VP or something. It seems like it's a flat out ban, but with the GDP, fleet size, and tech disparities involved... I'm pretty sure I could guarantee delivery.

Maybe a blockade running type mission where I have to get the purchased ships past some goalpost with >90% structure left or something? And if I screw it up I have to pay a delivery penalty and risk losing the ally. Could be an interesting way to force a larger fleet engagement and introduce fixed features on the battle map.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Dave P. said:

In the "huh? That can't be right..." files apparently transports have torpedo launchers now? Fortunately for me they suck at aiming.

20230209125810_1.thumb.jpg.191c48d956fc4fbbf7414e87f233500e.jpg

That reads like an auxillery cruiser like the Kormoran. If that is itentional ....... awesome. 👍If .......... 🙃🤣

I dont know if that counts as bug, but the AI built a 15.000! ts gunboat. Or maybe its one of those defensive river/coastal monitors?

n5ojonl.jpg

I dont know where all that tonnage went. Its not one of the ironclad hulls that only go 16 knts but a tumblehome hull so its expensive to get it fast, but not 15k tonnage expensive. And its armor is garbage. Its only kept alive be endless overpenns and riccoshets.

O1cMwN3.jpg

My old 1890 refit battleships do 20 knts, have 2x2 9" a heavy 5" and 2,9" battery at only 10,5k! I havent come accross truly dreadful designs in a long run, but this is one.

France has a pretty strong fleet numbers vise, and normally its ships/hulls are OP af , but all of its BBs (in my campaign) are probably garbage because of this.

33 minutes ago, havaduck said:

That reads like an auxillery cruiser like the Kormoran. If that is itentional ....... awesome. 👍If .......... 🙃🤣

100% intentional and has been in the game definitively since the beginning of 1.1 beta update 0 and possibly earlier.

Two things:

When doing refits it doesnt seem possible to keep an older Mark of a used guns, which in some cases makes the ship unusable. If I cant put the newer guns there, its fine I just want to put more advanced components, like rangefiders and ammo, down anyway.

Second: When I dont plan to build anymore ships of a class, I discared the design. By that point I usually have a refit drawn up allready and work from there on the updates for that class. Well .... I screwed up and discaded a design I didnt have a refit plan, so I tried something.

This is my Traiskirchen class cruiser: An rather old design, when I wanted more light cruiser on a slightly larger displacement.

hIsBqL8.jpg

I let the AI quickly design a 4000 ts ship (note that my design is 3381 ts), then named it also Traiskirchen and also let the AI do a refit of that one. Guess what: I can refit my old Traiskirchen class cruisers. More even, I can "rebuilt" them to a bigger diplacement.

6eXE8ce.jpg

If one was to abuse that mechanic, one could build small, cheap, fast to build vessels and then just "rebuilding" them using this exploit; not that the current difficulty makes this necessary at all ......

Or if you screewed up like me, you can refit your old cruisers again (be recreating and refitting the old template) if it werent for the gun mark problem.

I wonder if this works between classes as well. Build a few 200 ts TBs in a few months and refit them to gargantuan dreadnoughts.

• Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, havaduck said:

Two things:

When doing refits it doesnt seem possible to keep an older Mark of a used guns, which in some cases makes the ship unusable. If I cant put the newer guns there, its fine I just want to put more advanced components, like rangefiders and ammo, down anyway.

Second: When I dont plan to build anymore ships of a class, I discared the design. By that point I usually have a refit drawn up allready and work from there on the updates for that class. Well .... I screwed up and discaded a design I didnt have a refit plan, so I tried something.

This is my Traiskirchen class cruiser: An rather old design, when I wanted more light cruiser on a slightly larger displacement.

hIsBqL8.jpg

I let the AI quickly design a 4000 ts ship (note that my design is 3381 ts), then named it also Traiskirchen and also let the AI do a refit of that one. Guess what: I can refit my old Traiskirchen class cruisers. More even, I can "rebuilt" them to a bigger diplacement.

6eXE8ce.jpg

If one was to abuse that mechanic, one could build small, cheap, fast to build vessels and then just "rebuilding" them using this exploit; not that the current difficulty makes this necessary at all ......

Or if you screewed up like me, you can refit your old cruisers again (be recreating and refitting the old template) if it werent for the gun mark problem.

I wonder if this works between classes as well. Build a few 200 ts TBs in a few months and refit them to gargantuan dreadnoughts.

I have tried this before it doesn't work the old ships that refitted will try and put the parts on the new Hull, you'll have turrets floating in mid air for example 

2 hours ago, Nick Thomadis said:

Hi Admirals,

Another update is made for you.

Hotfix Update v1.1.9 10/2/2023
https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/1069660/view/3656395991456270224 

-Fixed error which could torpedo 3d models to not get their proper size during the 3D combat.

yay! like to se polish like this

-Fixed gun range calculations inconsistency which caused the range of both AP and HE shells to change when we switched to a different shell component. Gun ranges calculations are also further improved.

just glancing at the stats everything looks much more sane range wise. The results of light shell min maxing for velocity looks much less out of control but still looks like a competitive option compared to damage and pen maxed super heavy, its nice to have at least 2 viable directions to build out your guns. Noticed the lighter HE shells got a pretty significant range nerf across the board, always did seem odd that they would more or less match the AP shells for range.

That and all the other updates sound great,things are looking more dialed in with each update.

*edit

played through some missions, high MV guns are still very accurate but not insanely so, but it seems like the problem of ships sinking due to extensive fire with full float-ability and 75%+ structural left has gotten worse, pretty sure i sunk a cruiser with just caped sap 15in AP shells, wasn't an ammo det or anything.

Edited by Fangoriously

Target Lock Bug

Ah my very favourite persistent bug. I have no idea why it disappears and reappears but it must be a cunning little code gremlin. Anyway in 1.1.9 (vanilla, I'm not using any mods at present) ships can get their ladder aiming progress stuck at 0% for a very long time. I recorded a video of it which you can watch here (its an unlisted video): 

Not an especially fancy ship on my part, an ABX triple 15" British Modern BB 2. Veteran crew, Auto loader 2, Radar 3, Coincidence 5 rangefinders. 1940 Custom 1v1. As you can see this normally accurate ship is merrily unloading its shells at the ocean. Can be fixed by targeting another ship, then retargeting the original ship, but of course in a 1v1 you can't do that. Possibly related I saw that when the aiming progress fixes itself and the ship fires normally it only fires a full broadside from all three turrets every other salvo, half the time it will only fire the aft turret (another problem I seem to remember happening on old versions).

• Like 3

This is a very old one. All yamato modern towers have problems with gun colissions. For example, they allways  collide on the aft tower.

UAD_16.thumb.jpg.3b7dcce7d68407b0cfb697fb4ae78a06.jpg UAD_17.thumb.jpg.37d8871eb0143617c27c873d6112d574.jpg  UAD_18.thumb.jpg.6321f3ef516f474110fd336b9821e95c.jpg

Also a lot of main towers with a big turret slot cant suport the suposed the 4" or 5" turrets that should go there

Edited by Capilla
Forgot to add the 3rd image

3 hours ago, brothermunro said:

Target Lock Bug

Ah my very favourite persistent bug. I have no idea why it disappears and reappears but it must be a cunning little code gremlin. Anyway in 1.1.9 (vanilla, I'm not using any mods at present) ships can get their ladder aiming progress stuck at 0% for a very long time. I recorded a video of it which you can watch here (its an unlisted video): 

Not an especially fancy ship on my part, an ABX triple 15" British Modern BB 2. Veteran crew, Auto loader 2, Radar 3, Coincidence 5 rangefinders. 1940 Custom 1v1. As you can see this normally accurate ship is merrily unloading its shells at the ocean. Can be fixed by targeting another ship, then retargeting the original ship, but of course in a 1v1 you can't do that. Possibly related I saw that when the aiming progress fixes itself and the ship fires normally it only fires a full broadside from all three turrets every other salvo, half the time it will only fire the aft turret (another problem I seem to remember happening on old versions).

Thanks for reporting for us with the button Brother Munro because now we can talk with real examples.

Using your ship as you see in image:

image.png

I was able to aim really fast within 2 or 3 salvoes when I broadsided, so the range rate between the two ships is not changing so rapidly, as shown in the image. The red line shows your path which at over 20 km can cause more targeting errors due to the increased range difference per time.

Your ship is very nicely made and can achieve about 10-20% accuracy with its main guns at 22 km.

At medium ranges, the range rate difference will matter less, so the aiming can be achieved much faster even if you close in fast to the enemy.

We can oversimplify the process of aiming but then ships will just get very high accuracy over 50% at those ranges very fast, unnaturally. Realistically, ships wanted to go in parallel to find the range of the enemy and sink it before it does the same to them, not "bow" in and "tank" as found in other casual games.

You and most of players usually try to close in rapidly to the enemy, which realistically it is unusual and would cause more targeting errors. With the new improved AI, the opponent will now try to keep a better range, often reduce the aiming of the player with maneuvers and will faster gain aim at the player who moves straight and diagonally without any maneuvers, and then players think there is another bug or a cheating AI...

The ladder aiming is a feature of the game, not a bug. While a ship has not found the approximate range of the enemy, it does not have an enhanced accuracy. It is understandable that most players want to finish a battle in fast forward mode and go to a next one, but this game tries to keep things realistic.

If we made the ladder aiming to show up not with numbers but with some yellow text maybe, most players would accept it better.

Previously you could indeed reset the aiming by clicking something else, now this will not work, or will work coincidentally because as you spend some time to do this, the range between the ships has reduced further and then it is easier for the ladder aiming to finalize.

• Thanks 4

1 hour ago, Nick Thomadis said:

The ladder aiming is a feature of the game, not a bug. While a ship has not found the approximate range of the enemy, it does not have an enhanced accuracy. It is understandable that most players want to finish a battle in fast forward mode and go to a next one, but this game tries to keep things realistic.

If we made the ladder aiming to show up not with numbers but with some yellow text maybe, most players would accept it better.

I completely agree, its just odd that in this case I was sailing more or less broadside on, and my guns actually scored a hit without that affecting the aiming progress. If it is a UI issue then I would say that the problem is more to do with the aiming progress staying at 0% for a very long time then suddenly switching to 'aimed'. If the aiming is progressing players I think will expect to see the progress number increasing with each salvo also.

With the resetting issue you used to be able to do this on the ship you are targeting, but now you need another ship to do this. I'll try and get the process on video but if you pause the game, change target, then change back to the original the aiming progress 0% will change to 'aimed' on the next salvo, and if you time the pause to be right before the guns fire it'll still work so it doesn't seem to be due to what the enemy ship is doing.

Edit: I'll also see if I can get the ship to replicate the error under AI control

Edited by brothermunro
  • Like 2

Repaired 1.1.9 version uploaded 10/2/2023
- Fixed bug which made gun ranges to not cache properly into the targeting logic, causing guns to fire at a lesser range. This bug affected aiming and penetration logic. Therefore now you should see an overall better functionality of the system at all ranges.
- Reduced the overpenetration threshold. You should notice shells with high penetration to bypass armor or heavy steel constructions more easily.
- Improved the accuracy for guns of 13-inch and higher caliber.
- Fixed a crash bug of the campaign.

You need to restart Steam to receive the update immediately.

• Like 7