Game-Labs Forum

>>>Beta v1.1 Feedback<<< [RC 6]

Nick Thomadis

4 hours ago, Kane said:

So, decided to take a spin on the new version.  Germany, starting from the beginning.
Lot of bugs that seem to have gotten comfortable and not going anywhere.

Invasions are interesting...but borked.
China and Russia both are poised to become unholy terrors that will conquer anything that has a land-border with them, and as that border expands, so does the conquest.  I am lucky that I was able to build a fleet to blockade both nations into collapse.  As Germany, with Italy we tore France apart like a wishbone and conquered the country.  However, Austro-Hungary was nearly conquered by Russia, and the three of us together couldn't make any inroads at all into Russian territory despite more than a dozen different invasion attempts.

China ended up controlling everything from her coast to the Middle East, stampeding over the British like they weren't even there until finally I and my allies blockaded them to death.  (And this is while she was taking large parts of Russia away from Russia prior to the latter dying to my blockade.)  And this was with the US providing massive manpower to the British.

But hey, blockades are finally doing something!  (yay).

Also, a bug.
If a naval invasion begins, and peace is declared before the invasion is concluded, the naval invasion does not end with hostilities.

We also need more ability to influence invasions.  In my current game, Britain has collapsed, France has been conquered, Russia and China have collapsed.  The world is brimming with un-incorporated territory, or tiny independent powers.  The inability to do anything but wait for the game to randomly go after some of this ungoverned territory is rather disappointing. 

As others have stated, nations do not re-emerge.  Meanwhile other nations (minors) continue to try to make treaties with nations that no longer exist.  Humorously this seems to effect the French in particular despite their homeland now being divided North and South between Greater Germany and Greater Italy.

With Britain done, its rather disappointing I can't send, or influence the Kaiser to send the Heer over the channel to take the island, what with it having no Government.  Nor can I influence said Kaiser to clean up the remaining African colonies Britain wasn't kind enough to surrender to me before she died.

Edit:  Forgot to mention that Spain is gone as well, she didn't make it out of the 1800's.  But no reformation, and no ability to really do much to take over either the homeland or its colonies.

I could bring up a lot of other problems, but most others already have.

Final note I will make.

I trounced the US in battle, and took Panama in the hopes of screwing them over in the future if/when we fight again.  Instead I seem to have screwed both of us.  I have Panama, but I can't use the Panama canal, and apparently no one else can either.  Everyone is going around South America now.

Edit:  Bonus note.
AI still sucks at prioritizing what to do with its fleet.  Britain should not have died, but is dead because it refused to abandon fights in other parts of the world and bring its vast fleet home to break the blockade of the home isles.

It's funny, in my games Russia is constantly losing territories and disintegrating. And they don't even have a historical population.

China - yes.

Naval invasions continue after peace +

Captured channels cannot be used +

Also on invasions.
Didn't take the US a year to provoke another fight with me.
So I've been trying to invade Puerto Rico.
Somehow, the number of American troops on the island keeps going up, despite the fact that I control the sea around the island.

Seems what's going around the invasion site needs to be accounted for.  That or the AI has teleportation tech.  I suppose that would be fitting since their ships have cloaking tech...

Shared design works

I reinstalled the game, cleaned the ship project repository. I did a lot of projects from 1895 to 1900. Just like last time, there are two options - with the best technologies (1) and with the worst (2).

1900, Italy-Austria-Hungary. Of all the ships, the ships of 1898 were selected, all the best options (1). For some reason, DDs were not selected. The thing is that these are the same projects as yesterday, but this time almost all have been used. I don't know what the reason is.

Test1.jpg

Austria-Hungary also uses my designs (and they even have a destroyer).

test2.jpg

test3.jpg

This is a very big step forward and I am very happy with this feature, but there are two problems, which I learned while playing up to 1910.

1. AI makes refits that spoil everything.
  2. At long range, AI has problems with technology research, especially with armor and fire control systems. Of course, the player has the same problems with slow research of some modules.

Edit: forgot to mention

2023-01-02-16-15-01.png

I just haven't discovered such parts yet, but the ship was built anyway. I do not understand why the ship of 1896 was not built, where there were no these funnels.

Edited by Lima
  • Like 2

Good, was about to kick UK's butt, they're begging for peace, and then BOOM. They dissolve and I get nothing but a destriyed economy.

When an enemy empire dissolves mid war, we should still get a peace treaty and war reparations. Or at least the option to fight the now independent minors which appeared on its place.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

very often now buttons don't work, for example the auto resolve on submarine missions or the yes button on ship sale requests. returning to main menu and reloading may work, but sometimes the yes button to actually get to the main menu may also not work, and then i have to kill the game in taskmanager

Edited by Knobby
  • Like 5

5 minutes ago, Knobby said:

very often now buttons don't work,

I have noticed too that pressing yes in menu is...difficult. Sometimes i have trouble changing ship speed. Not consistent, but i can only change speed after i did somthing via the manual rudder. 

• Like 1

Welp, since UK dissolved, turns get always stuck on "update missions". Which means that my campaign is done, because as fleet movement is processed after that, I can no longer move my fleets. Because the game never reaches the phase of the turn in which that is done, as I have to interrupt the mission update in order to proceed to the next turn.

Pity, I was having fun once more... Until the cycle repeated.

Edited by The PC Collector
  • Sad 3

56 minutes ago, Admiral Unterhosen said:

Very ignorant question here... I cant seem to find any info on how to construct submarines.

1890 Japan Campaign; I've unlocked them in the tech tree but don't know (and cant find info) on what to do next.  Took a long sabbatical and missed an lot of new stuff!

You then have to research the Hulls and Improvements. Once you get the first hull, you can build the first sub.

5 hours ago, The PC Collector said:

Welp, since UK dissolved, turns get always stuck on "update missions". Which means that my campaign is done, because as fleet movement is processed after that, I can no longer move my fleets. Because the game never reaches the phase of the turn in which that is done, as I have to interrupt the mission update in order to proceed to the next turn.

Pity, I was having fun once more... Until the cycle repeated.

I just had similar happen in a USA 1890 start; the UK managed to faceplant her economy (despite having a good size fleet, they seem incapable of actually protecting their trade lines) and dissolved in 1894, leading to a hardlock in mid 1895 in 'Updating Missions'. The AI will fight some battles, but then it just sits there.

Some other general campaign feedback in no particular order:

I honestly wish I had some agency on meddling with minors. It's no fun throwing random events at me, let me commit diplomacy to either encourage them to align with me, or provoke incidents to allow me to invade. In two campaigns I've tried under the current build, I had a few minors align with me, but never had the opportunity to meddle with Serbia as Austria-Hungary.

The Netherlands & Ottomans are entirely incapable of actually holding their respective empires. It seems to be an immediate doomspiral for both of them as the Netherlands lose all their colonies and the various parts of the Ottoman Empire fall away to Greeks/Serbs/Egyptians/Syrians etc etc etc revolting or invading within the first couple of turns.

It feels counter-intuative that I can order a taskforce into a sea region where an opposing taskforce is present, only for the game to generate a mission where ships in port get stuck with a meeting engagement (or similar) with the enemy taskforce while my taskforce at sea does nothing. I'd much prefer that the game gave a higher priority to taskforces at sea when generating missions, especially if taskforce(s) are deployed on the route being taken by another.

It would be great if there was a visual representation of how far a given taskforce can travel before it runs out of fuel, and the resupply range from friendly ports (ideally as a shaded area on the map). Hopefully this would feed into to the AI decision making, as it gets terribly boring to fight grand fleet battles against an enemy doomfleet which can't move because every vessel they have is on low fuel.

Battle feedback:

It may just be early game terrible gun tech talking, but my gunners are drunk. Even in incredibly favourable conditions, sailing a steady course at cruising speed, my ships simply cannot reliably score hits. I've been killing the enemy by shooting at targets beyond them, which appears to suddenly magnetise the hull(s) of whatever ships lie between it the firing vessels.

Some hostile ships seem to have gained the ability to salvo off multiple torpedos from single submerged tubes. This came as a very unpleasant surprise, as you don't expect a Light Cruiser 1 hull to suddenly dump three torpedoes into your face in the early 1890s (and you are that close because the gunners are drunk). At the same time, my ships seem incredibly reluctant to fire their submerged torpedos, even when passing a hostile ship at close range presenting a flat broadside. The lead ship in a division has a good chance to fire, but the others are much less reliable.

I'm not certain what you've changed from 1.09.3, but ship handling feels awful now. My ships snake all over the place when executing turns, where previously they could do a reasonably 'straight' turn without repeated wobbles.

Please allow me to organise my divisions *before* the battle begins, either on a per-battle basis or some kind of standing order template. I like my ships in neat rows, damnit, and having to manually reallocate split screening divisions into reasonably organised units which won't form a massive pile-up once the battle begins is time-consuming.

Screening behaviour should be split into two different behaviours; one should form a perimetre around the targetted vessel/division somewhat like the current behaviour, but which attempts to maintain a relative position (so no orbiting destroyers suddenly feeling the need to cross the T of a battleship etc). The other is directional, where you specify *where* you want the ships to screen relative to the targetted division (fore/port/starboard/aft). The division will then position themselves in that area (in line abreast when fore/aft, line ahead when port/starboard) and seek to maintain relative positioning. Scouting behaviour could also benefit from a similar sort of positional split, as if I tell some destroyers to Scout I don't want to see them sailing south east when the game is telling me the smoke is north.

Edited by AdmiralBert
Correcting poor grammar & sentence structure

i am still having ships that want to zigzag and i am loosing fps when my ships is near enemy ships and i would really be grate full if someone could anwser my this how and why the ai get free victory points i started a war with french but after 5 turns tey had arround 5467 vp with no battles i asume they are sinking my transport

1 hour ago, kineuhansen said:

i am still having ships that want to zigzag and i am loosing fps when my ships is near enemy ships and i would really be grate full if someone could anwser my this how and why the ai get free victory points i started a war with french but after 5 turns tey had arround 5467 vp with no battles i asume they are sinking my transport

Most likely sinking transports or bombing ports. Check to see if turn-after turn your convoy percent is falling [in financials] also check the information 

For bombing ports it's a matter of having ships in the relevant port. 

Might also be land battles IDK. really i oppose the land combat system. Why spend so much time trying to balance a feature the players cannot interact with. 

Land combat will be a great addition when balanced. Naval war is not fought alone. It is a great thing to see army doing their part of work alongside "my" navy. Maybe some interaction might be good. Like army asking you for support in some sea zone, bombarding specific port or requesting part of your budget/funds or crew pool if things are really bad.

Or some bonuses if the navy is winning and army is stuck or losing.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Yeah...the inebriated helmsman issue is getting real old, real fast.  Particularly when I'm trying to evade torpedo boats that my destroyers aren't doing anything about, because they think screen means hide behind the battleships until its over.

1 hour ago, admiralsnackbar said:

Most likely sinking transports or bombing ports. Check to see if turn-after turn your convoy percent is falling [in financials] also check the information 

For bombing ports it's a matter of having ships in the relevant port. 

Might also be land battles IDK. really i oppose the land combat system. Why spend so much time trying to balance a feature the players cannot interact with. 

As far as this, I'm happy that the land combat is coming, naval wars aren't fought in vacuum, and without it there is no real option to ever actually conquer a rival nation.  That said, kind of wish the devs would focus on fixing some of the huge problems in existing systems before piling another one on top of it.

• Like 3

*Update 10*
- Fixed many bugs of the campaign that could make it unplayable for various reasons, especially when major nations dissolved and broke into smaller territories. It is advised to start a new campaign to test if a new one is completely free of such issues.
- Fixed Major Offensive bug that prevented losses caused by allies to be calculated.
- Major Offensives can now end promptly if losses are overwhelming for the attacker.
- Fixed bugs of aiming that made aiming to not grow correctly, especially for guns of the left side.
- Fixed various issues that could cause auto-design delays or errors.
- Improved further the shell dispersion mechanics.
- Improved the citadel weight distribution based on recent feedback. Your saved designs may need re-adjustments.
- Fixed probably the last of the crucial formation bugs, causing division speed stalling when a ship got damaged or delay to turns for following ships of the division.

The build should be now close to be a release candidate. Some small updates may come without notes. We hope now the most important bugs have been squashed and the build can be enjoyable for most of you.

PLEASE RESTART STEAM TO DOWNLOAD

• Like 10
  • Thanks 2

5 minutes ago, Nick Thomadis said:

*Update 10*
- Fixed many bugs of the campaign that could make it unplayable for various reasons, especially when major nations dissolved and broke into smaller territories. It is advised to start a new campaign to test if a new one is completely free of such issues.
- Fixed Major Offensive bug that prevented losses caused by allies to be calculated.
- Major Offensives can now end promptly if losses are overwhelming for the attacker.
- Fixed bugs of aiming that made aiming to not grow correctly, especially for guns of the left side.
- Fixed various issues that could cause auto-design delays or errors.
- Improved further the shell dispersion mechanics.
- Improved the citadel weight distribution based on recent feedback. Your saved designs may need re-adjustments.
- Fixed probably the last of the crucial formation bugs, causing division speed stalling when a ship got damaged or delay to turns for following ships of the division.

The build should be now close to be a release candidate. Some small updates may come without notes. We hope now the most important bugs have been squashed and the build can be enjoyable for most of you.

PLEASE RESTART STEAM TO DOWNLOAD

Thanks Nick! I am really happy to see that the problems raised have been solved.🤩

54 minutes ago, Nick Thomadis said:

Ships overshooting the turn is still a thing as well as post turn oscillations.

Just tried it with a BB division that has Aux IV engines, Shaft IV and Hydro-electric II steering so no issues in the turning department.  4th BB in division only began to turn until 1.2 km after the lead ship was now going straight after a 90 degree turn!

Frankly, if a helmsman misses a turn this bad IRL, brig time is a very possible thing as you are endangering your ship, crew, other ships around you that expect you to be somewhere else and port facilities if applicable.

Reported in game along with suggestion but here is a small summary: 
Given a sharp turn, 90 degree turn for this example, once 60-70% of the turn is complete, return rudder amidships.  Once rudder is neutral, wait a few seconds to allow the ship to straighten out so it is not drifting sideways anymore or as much.  Then, for the sake of this example we will say 85 degrees of the turn is done.  A correction turn is needed and is  automatically done to get the ship the last 5 degrees.  To the player, this issuing a new turn order to the ship of 5 degrees is invisible and happens without input from the player.  From the player's point of view, this will be seen as a single oscillation at the end of the turn and the ship is now heading in the direction they wanted.

Edited by Suribachi
  • Like 6

I think there are still a number of problems with this update that need fixing before release, namely:

• campaign stability (game hanging up or bricking the computer between turns)
  • ship maneuvering, namely the excessively unrealistic oversteering which warrants micromanaging the entire fleet's maneuvers.
  • stormtrooper level accuracy for larger (16+ inch) guns. they are already burdened with long reloads and heavy weight.
  • abnormally low muzzle velocities compared to historical examples
  • displacement caps for shared designs. hacking larger designs in is a pain, and sometimes I just want to fight a super battleship that is competently designed. 
Edited by Werwaz
  • Like 4

23 minutes ago, Hull_001 said:

Has anyone else tried using alt+right click when moving ships? It seems to negate the wobbly effect of ships. I still prefer the "go this way" of the right click rather than the "go here" of alt+right click.

Yes, I use alt+mouse to get direction. seems to get rid of 90% of the wobbly wobbly.

Edited by MDHansen
  • Like 2