Game-Labs Forum

>>> v1.06-1.08+ Feedback<<<(17/8/2022)

2 minutes ago, Dave P. said:

Collision between friendly ships doesn't cause damage. (Was changed in 1.04 or 1.05 as a concession to the terrible piloting AI.)

My mistake i thought they still did. But i have noticed while half my ships are maneuvering and avoiding each other to get into formation the other half are getting decimated by the enemy fleet before i can bring my whole fleet to bear. It really is extremely annoying. Some sort of pre start formation set up needs to be established to keep a cluster fk from happening at the beginning of the match.

5 hours ago, Panzergraf said:

That's typical of an RTS, if you (the player) can see a target, your units should be able to target it if they are in range.
Otherwise you'd have frustrating situations where one of your ships would refuse to fire upon an enemy ships because that ship was not the one spotting it. If your DD spots an enemy CA and identifies it as an enemy ship, it's not too unrealistic to assume it relays that information back to your BB, which then can fire towards the smoke signature (or in later years, the radar signature). It's already established in game that smoke and radar signatures are spotted before the ships are visible.

I would like to see an accuracy de-buff when ships are targeting enemies outside of their own spotting range though.
And/or a buff when they are targeting ships they can spot themselves.

This is a naval warfare simulator, not an rts. No ship would fire at a target they cannot see/detect via radar and have no hope of hitting. Such capacities for distributed rangefinding are simply not present in the depicted era—that's a solidly 1980s+ capability.

• Like 3

32 minutes ago, neph said:

This is a naval warfare simulator, not an rts. No ship would fire at a target they cannot see/detect via radar and have no hope of hitting. Such capacities for distributed rangefinding are simply not present in the depicted era—that's a solidly 1980s+ capability.

This is the same "naval warfare simulator" as the Total War medieval warfare simulator. UA:D is a mix of RTS (tactical battles) and TBS (global map).

• Like 2

3 hours ago, neph said:

The game seems to be suffering a some kind of Multiple Personality Disorder! One moment it wants to be historically accurate, and uses this as a justification for some decisions, the next its 'just a game' and uses that as the basis for decisions taken.

Personally I'd like to see both selectable as options when setting a game. However, at this point in the games development, I think they need to select one and focus on that.

• Like 5

9 hours ago, neph said:

You click on units to select them and have them attack other units. It's an RTS.

36 minutes ago, Panzergraf said:

You click on units to select them and have them attack other units. It's an RTS.

9 hours ago, TAKTCOM said:

This is the same "naval warfare simulator" as the Total War medieval warfare simulator. UA:D is a mix of RTS (tactical battles) and TBS (global map).

Its neither a RTS nor a "naval warfare simulator"

Why?

Its not an RTS, cause the time on the strategic level progresses in turns. So as Taktcom said, its an TBS - Turn based Strategy game. 

Amusingly he also proclaims the Battles are the RTS part although himself naming them as tactical battles, wich they indeed are. And there for no RTS.

We have those two words, Tactic and Strategy, for a Reason. They are not the same. 

The Only RTS games that come immediatly to my mind, and thats cause im kinda biased in that regard(though im not recommending them), are the paradox games on the clausewitz engine. Strategic Level of Decisions with real time execution / timeline.

Why its no naval warfare simulator? Cause not a single bit of what is important in naval warfare past and present is simulated in that game.  No water Simulation, No Weather Simulation, no Material Simulation, no Ballastics Simulation.

Its an Arcade game thru and thru. Wich should become very evident for everyone at the latest in the editor with all the arcady elements and design choices u can make there.

Thatswhy i proposed to call it mediocre Admiral or ... just admiral. Cause i suppose it wont turn out to be Ultimate when its done, sadly.

may peace be with u

Edited by Kraut
  • Thanks 1

@Nick Thomadis can you help me with two quick questions?

I am making a spotting guide to help the players, but are a few things I don't have the answer.

1- Each hull will have a different "surface visibility" value. (the red value)

2- The manual explains what surface visibility does.
Chapter: Ship designs basic / ship detectability

3- Now look at the panel in your right in the dockyard and search for the detection section.

*3.1 Here you will see 4 important values: Detectability; Spotting range; Torpedo detection range; Radar

*3.2 If your hull doesn't have any tower, the spotting range will be the same as the hull "surface visibility" value.

*3.3 Each tower (the main and also the secondary tower) have a "tower spotting" value. This value is added to the spotting range, but only the best value. 2 towers = 2 values / only the best value is used.
     Take note that if in battle, if you lose the main tower, you are now using the secondary tower value if it is operational. If you lose both towers, the spotting range will drop to the hull default value.
IMPORTANT: Some funnels also have a "Tower spotting value", and this value will be used if is the best or if your towers are destroyed in battle, but only if you still have the funnel operational.

*3.4 Radar will also affect your spotting range. The difference is instead of using a fix values, is now instead a % value increase to the "tower spotting" value. In short, the bigger the tower, the higher the radar will be placed, increasing the range.

4- Target signature, how it works?

*4.1 for each component you add to the ship, you will increase the "Target signature"
    The player can check the target signature value in the hull section in the panel in the right (dockyard). Hovering the mouse above this value, the player will see two values.

- Ship detectability
*I am still not sure about this value.

- Ship visibility modifier
This will impact your "detectability" value in the detection panel in the right (dockyard)

*4.2 Many components have a target signature value penalty. (red value in the bottom)

5- Draught and beam will affect your "detectability" value. (beam impact is minimal in comparison)
NOTE: Making your ship longer or shorter will have no impact to the "detectability" value.

My questions:

- What is "ship detectability" value in the "target signature" and how it works in battle?

- The "detectability" value mentions: "Enemy ship towers have a spotting boost that increase this visibility distance according to their height"  Is possible to explain in details how this works?

Edited by o Barão
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, kjg000 said:

suffering a some kind of Multiple Personality Disorder

Not really. Clear intention is historical “what if” but PC realities normalizes it back to gameplay. Fog of war is reality………. for gaming.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Kraut said:

Its neither a RTS nor a "naval warfare simulator"

Everything you do in game leads to battle, they are in real time and simulating battle of your designs. Therefore it can be “proclaim” as RTS.

But LOL...... here’s all the steam tags…

• Naval Combat
  • Naval
  • Simulation
  • Early Access
  • World War II
  • Indie
  • Building
  • World War I
  • Sandbox
  • Military
  • Realistic
  • RTS
  • Wargame
  • Historical
  • War
  • Singleplayer
  • Turn-Based Strategy
  • 3D
  • Strategy
  • Atmospheric

Any one of us can pick one of those or even something else and proclaim or disclaim its justification.

This could go on for pages and pages. 

Edited by Skeksis
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, o Barão said:

My questions:

- What is "ship detectability" value in the "target signature" and how it works in battle?

- The "detectability" value mentions: "Enemy ship towers have a spotting boost that increase this visibility distance according to their height"  Is possible to explain in details how this works?

“Ships Detectability” is the distance that ships can be seen regardless of enemies ability to detect. e.g. if enemy is within this radius then the ship will become visible.

“Detectability + Boost” is the distance that ships can spot another ship. e.g. If enemy is within this radius then the enemy will become visible.

The trick is to not overthink it!

Edited by Skeksis

A very important hotfix has just been deployed, including numerous fixes and improvements as per your recent feedback.

*v1.08.1 Hotfix* 

• Fixed major bug of the new citadel mechanics which affected the penetration calculations and damage. For example, you could notice impossible deck penetrations at very close range. Now the system should provide consistent penetration calculations utilizing properly the angle of hit.
  • Fixed major old issues causing campaign turn delays and freezes due to auto-design processes.
  • Fixed major bug in the campaign which caused wars between nations that have signed a peace treaty.
  • Fixed major bug which caused the crew pool of AI to stall and eventually the AI to have no active ships left because it could not convert mothballed ships to active, even when they became fully crewed.
  • Fixed old bug which caused ships without crew to participate in Task Force battles.
  • Fixed campaign bug which caused AI inactivity.
  • Fixed minor problems with the Cruiser Tech progress, causing sometimes late cruisers to be researched sooner than early cruisers.
  • Definite fix of crew pool to not provide higher training than "trained". Maximum training will be achieved only in combat.
  • Improvements in "Speed Basics" missions: Changed hull from CL to DD in the first mission. Removed speed limit of opponent.
  • Battle AI improvements in all aspects.
  • Fixed  British "Battlecruiser VI" which did not have non-researchable sec towers.
  • Reduced Port Capacity growth.
  • Tension slight rebalance to allow Nations that start in neutral relations to cause negative relations more easily.
  • Rebalances on the events that affect the Naval Budget. 
  • Further increase in ship maintenance.
  • Ships in Task Forces  with “Low Crew” status will be automatically sent for repairs.
  • Other minor.

Enjoy!
The Game Labs Team

• Like 11
  • Thanks 3

7 minutes ago, Nick Thomadis said:

Fixed major bug which caused the crew pool of AI to stall and eventually the AI to have no active ships left because it could not convert mothballed ships to active, even when they became fully crewed.

I went into a campaign fil were all AI nations hade lost their crew pool to see for my shef if it has been fixed. It does seem like it has been fixed as both France and Austra-Hungary are staring to recover crew. The brits has not seen a crew recovery yet but they are fhigting 2 wars so most the bug is most likely fixed.

1 hour ago, Skeksis said:

“Ships Detectability” is the distance that ships can be seen regardless of enemies ability to detect. e.g. if enemy is within this radius then the ship will become visible.

The trick is not overthink. The trick is first to read careful, understand what I am asking before you comment. The problem here, you are confusing the "detectability" value in the detection panel to the "ship detectability" value from the "target signature".

Read again:

1. Many components will increase the target signature.
  2. The "target signature" in the hull section have two values: "ship detectability" and "ship visibility modifier"
  3. It is the "ship visibility modifier" that will have an impact on the "detectability" value in the detection section.  The "ship detectability" variable in the "target signature" will not have any impact on the "detectability" value. So what it does?

Understand the difference now?

“Detectability + Boost” is the distance that ships can spot another ship. e.g. If enemy is within this radius then the enemy will become visible.

What is the spotting boost? Is the tower spotting value on the enemy ship? Is the detectability value on your ship + the spotting tower value on the enemy ship that will decide the range my ship is spotted? Or this works in a different way?

I would like to have a confirmation from the devs to not have any doubts.

Issue with the 8 inch gun caliber increase

g5OLC4M.jpg

The 9 inch gun doesn't fit, so I decided to use an 8 inch and increase the caliber. However, if we compare the gun accuracy values, we got this now...

OwtfNKd.jpg

1000 m went from 14% to 74%

5000 m went from 1.4% to 3.7%

So the longer the distance less improvement we will get, however the bonus are still crazy. And if we compare with the 9 inch gun

2cY2GUf.jpg

Anyone would ask why to use this gun when we have powerful 8.9 inch guns in game.

I still think speed tank ships are too viable at the moment. I encounter dozens of heavily protected cruisers with 20+ torpedo launchers per side that go 35-40 knots in every campaign. Maybe I'm just always getting unlucky rolls, but it is still a pain to deal with. I can never have medium range engagements unless I want to micro my fleet every 10 seconds. These ships are not impossible to kill, but the micro is a friggin nightmare when they are fielding long range torps. It just gets really annoying. Nearly every enemy I face has at least one of these cruiser classes that they field in large numbers. The nerfs to torpedo reliability have helped, but they still seem way too heavily relied upon by the AI.

What's worse is that cruisers are super tanky. For instance, there are British heavy cruisers in my 1940 campaign with 10.2 inches of main belt armor, that travel 35.2 knots, have 20 torps per side, 7.5 inch guns, and that can continue traveling at over 30 knots (30.2) when they are missing 40% of their hull and are 10% flooded... I don't see how ships missing almost half of their hull can be running away from the fight at 86% of their top speed.

Meanwhile, these cruiser will tank battleship AP and HE rounds like they are 2 inch guns. I usually run medium pen HE and high pen AP. I routinely see light cruisers bounce or partial pen 16 or 17 inch Capped Ballistic 1 shells at ranges of 5-7 km. A  quick google search tells me that 17 inch shells weighed north of 2000 lbs. That is essentially a mid-size sedan full of explosives... How on Earth does a CL with a maximum of say, 15 inches of armor block that shell?

• Like 3

Something odd just happened in my campaing: I'm allied with Italy and Germany as A-H and in a war against France (GB collapsed a few turns ago) and a convoy battle with two of my CAs and an italian CL against three french Cas spawned. To this point, all normal. But once in battle I realised I could control the italian CL as if it was my own. Is that intentional or it is a bug?

7 hours ago, The PC Collector said:

Something odd just happened in my campaing: I'm allied with Italy and Germany as A-H and in a war against France (GB collapsed a few turns ago) and a convoy battle with two of my CAs and an italian CL against three french Cas spawned. To this point, all normal. But once in battle I realised I could control the italian CL as if it was my own. Is that intentional or it is a bug?

That is intentional.

13 hours ago, Nick Thomadis said:
  • Fixed major bug which caused the crew pool of AI to stall and eventually the AI to have no active ships left because it could not convert mothballed ships to active, even when they became fully crewed.
  • Fixed campaign bug which caused AI inactivity.

Unfortunately, these 2 bug still happened to me.

after 1.08.1 update. I keep playing the old save.

good to see french start to building ship. BUT german didn't.

his task force didn't move, it is second bug, and because german inactivity. he can't active mothballed ships too, so crews pool still stall.

I think the problem is not only "AI do not convert mothballed ships to active", but also "mothballed ships eating crews".

hope it just happened to old save.

Edited by itolan1752

New campaign feedback (the latest update). Small tension issue

VNVZFtw.jpg

The French keeps raising tension towards me in the North Atlantic, but...

• I don't have any fleet in the North Atlantic
  • I do have fleets in the North Sea, but they do nothing to increase tension towards the British.

xEn8u4W.jpg