Game-Labs Forum

>>> Beta 1.06 Feedback<<< (FINAL UPDATE 6th Release Candidate)

I just had a bug pop up again that I've only seen once before on a much earlier 1.06 build. Two of my 16.4 kt BBs would not get up to spped, and instead stayed at the 11.5Kts they started at. I know its not an engine efficiency issue because the third ship of the same class in that battle is happily going along at full speed. 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Carl_Bar said:

Whilst thats true the current tech system somtimes produces the opposite issues where it feels like time and money don't produce meaningful results.

Which leads in nicely to my own detailed writeup of what i consider the biggest issues with research and a bit of touching on the economy in general and how it feeds into these issues.

First things first. In my latest campaign i set the research slider to max right at the start. My focuses were Boilers, Armour Quality, and Towers. I quickly and easily got well ahead in armour quality, from which i then switched to Turret systems with that focus, after getting well ahead there, (i was after the various double turret techs), i swapped to cruiser hulls where it's been for about 5 in game years.

Despite a maxed research slider and this application of focuses the only techs i'm ahead of the timeline curve on, (using the on tooltip dates to judge, i haven't checked every single branch as it's hard to keep track of that much), is Armour Quality,  and Turret Mechanisms. I'm slightly ahead on control towers and i'm behind to varying degrees on all gun techs, (Big and Small) engine techs, boilers techs, and all hull techs.

Having to have a maxed research slider to not quite keep up with the natural progression is on it's own a noticeable issue, at the same time, whilst maxing out the research slider should be nowhere near required to follow a historical timeline, it's also true that maxing out the slider should be a lot harder than it is now. This actually goes for the rest of the slider IMO.

There's a few interconnected issues at work here.

1. It's too easy to max out the sliders ATM but also feels kind of necessary. 

2. Some tech folders have very few items to research and as a result it's fairly easy to get significantly ahead of the curve there.

3. Some tech folders are absolutely clogged with masses of entries that have to be gone through.

This brings me to my thoughts on how to fix things.

A ) The recent economic reworks have been behind the ease of maxing the sliders. but at the same time those reworks where needed, maintaining a fleet is rather expensive as is the necessary refitting and new builds. The issue is a combination o too low a cap on the sliders, and also the baseline effects having gotten tuned down too far because where so readily maxing sliders.

At the same time i think it would be wise if the sliders where adjusted to move their current maxed costs and effects to around the 50% mark, (transports aside). But also to make the costs follow a logarithmic scale rather than a linear one. This would make large shifts in the slider position have much larger effects on your overall economics, making going extremly high or low on the sliders a deliberate choice with significant positives and negatives.

B ) there needs in some cases, (Engines, Armour Quality and Rangfinders being the most notable), to be some redistribution of tech items from elsewhere. As things are whilst you could rebalance these in simple time taken terms, it would rapidly lead to many of these branches going an unreasonably long time between upgrades. A redistribution of a few techs or additions of some new ones would solve the issues whilst still leaving a feel of actual progress occurring.

A few obvious moves would be to moves the various fire control type accuracy buffs from control towers to rangfinders, and move the fuel type techs and various weight reductions from boilers to engines. Armour quality i'm less sure on how to fix. Maybe combined that with the armour weight folder and move Internals Protection and Hull Protection into the same row and rename the row Survivability?

I'd also look at some of the overstuffed tech branches and see if you can't either combine some researches, (for example small guns could combine 2", 3", & 4" nto a single item for each Mk numbers and ditto for 5" & 6", with 7" and 8" remaining discrete), or split them out into extra folders, (Light Cruisers vs Heavy Cruisers would be a good choice here).

Currently tech research is way out. As a rule of thumb, I'd say that if you started in 1890 and left the research at the preset (which should be, say 80% .. whatever), then you should more or less hit the tech levels at the other game start-points 1900, 1910 etc.

As it is the you have almost no chance to reach the same tech levels even at 100%. The system also seems to marginally randomize the tech you start with. So, for example, sometimes I'll start 1890 with forced ventilation for engines, other times I won't. So far so good, it adds variety to the start points. But, the missing tech is often not available for research until it is long overdue. I and others have reported Diesel motors running on coal.

However, I still don't think the tech tree is anywhere an urgent a fix as many other, almost game breaking issues.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, JeeWeeJ said:

I saw it mentioned before on this forum, but in this hotfix the AI seems to once again get an insane accuracy "range found" bonus ranging between 420% and 636%.

Now, I know that the AI will happily keep building ships using just the most basic of basic technologies and just ignore stuff like rangefinders, but giving them an accuracy bonus like this is just stupid IMHO. I just had a ship get blow up which was superior in technology, armor, guns and crew, just because I could only top out on a 6% gun accuracy (it's a 1890s game) while the AI ship (with a green crew and without rangefinders I might add) topped out on 18%.

Instead of giving the AI bonusses like that, please make them build sensible ships as I don't mind getting my ass handed to me if my ships are just outclassed.

image.png.88ec7d37139de9045afc9b7330a68c4e.png

I think here, and in several other places, the percentages displayed are wrong. When I've had a 600%+ accuracy bonus my hit chances have risen significantly but by nowhere near 600%. I'd say it was more like 15-30%. I've see tech tree promises of 60%+ reduction in construction time become <6% when applied. Curiously it never seems to be a simple decimal error, i.e. a reported 65% being an actual 6.5%.

I'd say either there is a basic maths problem in translating the modifier to the display or the modifier is applied at a point in the calculation that makes the reported figure meaningless.

6 hours ago, Carl_Bar said:

It's not that, i've got a screenshot of a BB taking a deck pen that setoff ammo from a 4.9" gun, The only way that would be possibble is if some part of the deck is being modelled as vertical as the horizontla pen wasn't enough to pen the belt and the vertical pen wasn't enough t pen the deck, but the the horizontal pen was sufficient to pen the deck.

20220622165800_1.jpg

20220622165809_1.jpg

If the 3d modelling is fully used, maybe. If its simply a lookup table in order to save cpu time, i.e. this type of penetration in this region goes to a table of possible damage and selects a random (but possibly weighted) result from the elements on that list. How many times have you had the same tower or turret destroyed, over and over.

As french, as quickly as i could after i started a campaign, I went and got A-H, Germany, and Italy all irritated at me due to my aggressive fleet posturing and each declared war on me 1 month apart from each other.  I could generate battles between me, A-H and Germany, the first 2 that declared war, but it wasn't until both of them capitulated that any missions at all generated against Italy. These all seemed to be 3 separate wars, none of them were actually allied against me as far as i could tell, and each capitulated separately. a few months into the conflict England allied with me, not that they seemed to do anything.

• Like 1

Is it just me or has the ship distance at which the game speed drops been increased?

Can this please be over ridden?

The only time this is useful is dodging torpedo's, campaigns move far too slow when battles are done and won and you're having to wait to clean up enemy ships without risking damage leaving the battle.

Have it automatically drop as you get closer but if the player wants to override and risk missing something that is at their own risk.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, mk4m said:

German heavy cruisers and battleships in 1890 and 1900 weird, maybe need to add more different hulls?

The BB-hull corrosponds to the Kaiser Friedrich III-class battleships. The Heavy cruisers though... I dont know. I havent found a single heavy cruiser to correspond to the BB-Copy-Hull. Realistically the "semi-armored cruiser" hull should be Germany's heavy cruiser hull. Looks a lot like the SMS Fürst Bismarck

9 hours ago, Fangoriously said:

Whats with single main gun penetrations hits of the main tower setting most of the ship on fire and causing 2k to 3k damage and taking up to 35% of a battleship's structural integrity, as if its an ammo detonation?

Whats with nearly every hit being to the deck now, causing the ship to always default to firing HE, no mater the range, or barrel length your guns might have?

*edit

?imw=5000&imh=5000&ima=fit&impolicy=Lett

Oh nice, a hit to my funnel dealt 1300 damage. Any more hits like that, and the load barring structural beams in the bowels of my ship will surly turn to dust.

This started as soon as the 1.06 beta dropped, penetrating hits started dealing way more damage, (that this would do so was even a patch note), whats changed is partly the degree to which this happens, but also a while back they added a rule that if a section was red any further damage to it would propagate to nearby sections. This was to stop end on torpedo boats being nearly indestructible. But it means any lightly armoured parts of your ship can result in them destroying your ship without ever penetrating your thickest armour.

I really had high hopes that the citadel detailing would include end armour and they'd do away with the damage propagation and instead properly model longitudinal penetrations as able to penetrate down the length of a ship (depending on available penetration, fuse timing and enemy ends armour). But that isn't what happened. And it lead to nonsense like what your seeing.

6 hours ago, kjg000 said:

If the 3d modelling is fully used, maybe. If its simply a lookup table in order to save cpu time, i.e. this type of penetration in this region goes to a table of possible damage and selects a random (but possibly weighted) result from the elements on that list. How many times have you had the same tower or turret destroyed, over and over.

Sure it could be a lookup table, but it's still assigning the horizontal penetration to the vertical axis somehow, thats the only way to produce this result.

42 minutes ago, Sturmalex said:

The BB-hull corrosponds to the Kaiser Friedrich III-class battleships. The Heavy cruisers though... I dont know. I havent found a single heavy cruiser to correspond to the BB-Copy-Hull. Realistically the "semi-armored cruiser" hull should be Germany's heavy cruiser hull. Looks a lot like the SMS Fürst Bismarck

This hull will be fine 

1280px-SMS_Deutschland.jpg

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Sturmalex said:

Thats a Deutschland-Class though and about 15/5 years after 1890, 1900 respectively. Imo BB hulls are fine right now. Its the heavy cruiser that needs some love.

Ok, this Hessen, building beginning in 1902.

Seriously, most german pre-dreadhnout battleships have much better hulls  then presented in the game

Screenshot_20220623_161711.jpg

• Like 1

Uh, I have a curious thing happening right now.

I "lost" a war with italy (though winning all but one battle). My government asked to surrender and I accepted. They ceded Gibraltar (which I took from Britain in one of the war before). Also, four destroyers were transferred to the italian navy.

A month thereafter, Italy ceased to exist due to economic collapse. Now the destroyers were stationed in Kiel. They were still highlighted green (italy's colour). However, I was able to move them, no problem. So...they are now part of one of my battlegroups during the now fifth war with britain. An...guess what?

They are hostile. I cannot identify them, they are a kilometer away from the battle line and are packed with 15cm guns and torpedoes :).

Update : I sank them all, but they are counted as MY losses. hm XD.

Another thing:

When taking provinces from an enemy, they also cede ports and often ships within these ports. These ships are not friendly, sometimes I can move them. They should be removed to enemy ports AND it would be really nice to be able to use these ports.

Edited by Darth Khyron
  • Like 1

Somebody a few pages back has asked: "Why havent people reported this?"

Most likely they did. And they got no response, or action for that matter. I could write tons, but I tend to limit to what I think (no feedback makes this a guessing game) and only a few things at a time. A few pages back I wrote that french ships are basically imossibel to damage below the waterline (which is what I fought, dunno if it was every nations ship). Got ignored. Now a few updates later people are talking about this deck hits for pages on end. Lol!

Another thing I already reported and got no response - and it certainly hasent been fixed:

The baseline 8" or 9" L32 M1 guns have broadly similar stats - which makes sense. But if I increase the diameter of the base 8" to 8.9 its other stats (pen, reload, dam etc) get close to the 9" which makes sense, but the accuracy is suddenly god tier, which is bullshit.

oT6VvB0.jpg

dclMWhs.jpg

bQ6gnN1.jpg

Maybe I didnt catch a detail explaining this, but without feedback ......

Anyway last time I report this, after that its intentional for me.

Edited by havaduck
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Bad news... I just encountered the infinite slavo bug again, so it's still around in the code somewhere. This time in a custom battle.

Thankfully it seems to be very, very rare these days, since I have yet to encounter it in the campaign mode... then again I have a very hard time getting anyone to declare war on me, so the amount of combat I see in the current campaigns is a bit limited.

Two bugs in the same battle.

oIO1qZq.jpg

The pinball bug. First time I see in my battles. It seems if I pause and unpause the game, I can stop this crazy thing? I am not 100% sure.

gIZuwdR.jpg

This bug is very interesting. I asked months ago for a realistic hardcore option in game. Well, I got it in this battle. Well almost. What this bug does is to remove the gun panel and crew panel, from the enemy ships, I can't see their weapons reloading, how much ammo they got, if they launched the torpedoes...etc. If I had another bug to hide the shoot info panel from the enemy ships, it would be a perfect combo!😁

Edited by o Barão

The infinite shooting and the disappearance of the panels always come together.

Pausing does not stop the shooting, since the affected ship - be it enemy or your own - is continued to be hit even during the pause.

But de-selecting the ship does stop the fire... at least until you select it again. In the past the bug also sometimes happened on mere mouse-over, in which case it also ended when you moved the mouse away.

• Like 1

I think game is even worse then before. Enemy spaming destroyers and light cruisers, torpedo nightmare remains. In one battle, despite having best equipment on board, i cant detect enemy till its destroyers are in torpedo range, torpedo swarm blasted trough my fleet, i lost 4 of 8 battleships by flash fires, and that in 1min period????

I never lost so many bbs in so short time. Some things are better, but some are worse.

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, ZorinW said:

Just.. HOW?!

Weight balance really needs a lot more work.

UAD_offset.jpg

You have a high aft weight offset because your center of mass is really far forward (where your citadel is) and you have a lot of secondaries behind it. Try putting a main gun behind your towers to balance the center of mass. 

*UPDATE 17 * (23/6/2022)
- Fixed issues in the campaign that made AI task forces to not move and interact or move inside land.
- Fixed bug that could cause AI to overbuild ships.
- Fixed rare bug that caused fast "ping pong" damage to a ship until it got sunk.
- Fixed tooltip buggy offset in 4K resolution monitors.
- Fixed bug in colliders that did not allow guns to fit in some places, especially found in French pre-dreadnought hulls.
- Fixed bug that caused gun length caliber UI indication to not update if you had more than 1 gun of the same caliber.
- Improved further the shell ballistics so that belt hits are more frequent at close range and will more smoothly dissipate as range increases.
- Added hull "center of mass" indication in the design phase and fixed various bugs in the instability mechanics. Now you will be able to design your ship with the help of this accurate indicator and understand how the mass of the hull is centered and why weight offset is created on one side.

PLEASE RESTART STEAM TO DOWNLOAD (Saves are reset - Please note that the full release must delay because we need to make further fixes)

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

A bug I have been having is I can't delete old blueprints. I've scraped all the ships in some older classes and I still can't delete the blue prints. This is making my list of blueprints very cluttered. The delete button is grayed out. I also can't delete them in the build screen.

• Like 2