Game-Labs Forum

>>> Beta 1.06 Feedback<<< (FINAL UPDATE 6th Release Candidate)

1 hour ago, Zombie1914 said:

Hanging in "Building New Ships" again but at least the GPU is doing something (whatever that is):

image.png.0dc142c6eaded55ca7740ef32b9f8885.png

image.thumb.png.be9096bce288f2187159be0251006611.png

Rest of the system is bored though.

I really hope that this gets fixed as a priority. Having to restart the game every few rounds is rather frustrating.

How much memory does the game use when you are in the campaign main screen? Mine sits at around 6.2 GB and CPU and GPU are at 0%.

UAD_RAM.jpg

12 minutes ago, ZorinW said:

How much memory does the game use when you are in the campaign main screen? Mine sits at around 6.2 GB and CPU and GPU are at 0%.

UAD_RAM.jpg

Pretty much the same as seen on the screenshot.

1.6GB RAM and not much extra on the GPU RAM.

GPU usage 7-38%, CPU less than 2% most of the time.

Only running Steam and Firefox in addition to UAD

I think there's a couple errors with GDP and transports which is making the game unplayable as you get deeper into a war.

1. There seems to be a fixed percentage of total needed shipping that you can build per turn, this doesn't change at all depending on the economy or dock capacity.

2. Shipping is lost at a very high rate, sometimes even if the enemy is completely blockaded.

3. Shipping percentage sometimes goes down even when no ships are lost.

4. Shipping percentage sometimes doesn't increase even after enough turns without any shiping losses.

5. The amount if shipping needed doesn't decrease when the economy declines.

6. The shipping penalty seems to be over-applied, because it applies a negative GDP percentage that increases per turn, as well as a fixed expense penalty that doesn't decrease as the economy shrinks - essentially amounting to a larger and larger percentage of the economy over time. Taken together this essentailly means that if you lose a few ships per month for about a year you can never, ever stabilize your economy if you are at war. Even if you reduce your spending and scrap ships it can never be enough. I believe this is a cause of the AI never being able to field a fleet in the late game.

For example with a 1890 start as UK:

Get into a series of consecutive wars, because each time my ships blockade one country in the meditteranean they increase tension with the other ones as well. Despite winning every battle I lose shipping to ghost ships. Soon the AI doesn't generate any battles, so I can't generate victory points, and it takes 3 years to win all the wars despite not taking any losses, and in that time my shipping percentage goes down to 60%. 

At the start of the war my GDP was $14 billion, when the wars ended it was down to $10 billion. I had to scrap every warship in order to not go bankrupt, and kept shipping slider on maximum. By the time I built enough shipping to get to 0 GDP growth my total GDP was 5 bllion but I was still paying the fixed transport penalty every turn, so for the 8ish years this took I had to have zero research and zero training. Once I went from 99% to 100% my GDP magically flipped to 15 billion with huge monthly growth and budget surpluses.

It seems to me that there is a formula error in here creating some wrong economic results, and this is contributing to some of the strange behaviour players have observed in mid-late game.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Zombie1914 said:

Pretty much the same as seen on the screenshot.

1.6GB RAM and not much extra on the GPU RAM.

GPU usage 7-38%, CPU less than 2% most of the time.

Only running Steam and Firefox in addition to UAD

That's wild, how come it is that different?!

2 minutes ago, ZorinW said:

That's wild, how come it is that different?!

Did a few changes to the resolution, no change to resources used.

Opened the ship designer and RAM usage increased by 0.1GB but nothing on the CPU/GPU.

Havent had any battles yet, maybe thats whats lingering in the RAM for you?

Now I know why it takes ages to defeat the CLs of AH with my BBs in my current campaign...

Maxed out the armor everywhere and still easily within the weight limit. That is just stupid.

Also a link to a thread from 2019 regarding armor weight: 

enemy_CL_4.jpg

enemy_CL_3.jpg

enemy_CL_2.jpg

enemy_CL_1.jpg

Edited by ZorinW
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Zombie1914 said:

Did a few changes to the resolution, no change to resources used.

Opened the ship designer and RAM usage increased by 0.1GB but nothing on the CPU/GPU.

Havent had any battles yet, maybe thats whats lingering in the RAM for you?

Restarted my game client and went straight back in to the campaign. Now I get this, so you were right, the game dumps a lot of crap into the cash for no apparent reason during the campaign run. Especially given that I only fought a single battle and not even advanced to a new turn.

And what is that crash handler?!

UAD_RAM_new.jpg

Edited by ZorinW

3 hours ago, ZorinW said:

Tried to recreate a pretty standard DD, the Turbine class of the RM. Absolutely impossible with the new pitch and roll mechanics. This whole system has to be reworked - hard. I mean, how is this even tested? Don't you try to build ships of each class in your own game? 

Turbine_UAD.jpg

I think the build mechanic need be reworked or improve, but this is game. Not every ship what was constructed we can make a valid model in the game. 

You using G. Turbins, low speed (only 33) and short range, standard bulkheads, because of that the medium part of the ship is light compared to the fore and aft part of the ship. 

About performance of the game, I saw one time probably memory leak, 13 GB used by game. But on each turn "building ships" take a lot of time. Sometimes 30s, but sometimes 5 minutes. I know the AI need more time to build the ship, but could you think about:

- using all resources what we have.

- building the AI ships in the background ( like if we manage the fleet, politic tab, research tab, the time what we spend not fighting) with some method that allow the AI save temporary building ship and go back after to building after battle? 

I know these 2 features are hard to implement, but if we will have more complex ships and we want improve the AI ships and additional we will add few more nations we can have a problem in the future, when each nation will construct the ships and the AI need more and more time to do it. Simply if now AI example need 60s to build a new class of the ship (and usually the AI don't do it great job), in the future this could be 60 + 30 (to improve the AI builidng) +30 (new elements/parameters of the ships) * 6 AI nations (Russia, Britain, Germany, France, Hispanic, HA, Italy) we ended on waiting 120s*6= 12 minutes! This could be a problem. And I don't want to solve this problem, by giving the AI dices to roll the ship full random without "thinking". 

Even losing 5 minutes to watch the loading screen next playing 10-50 minutes is not pleasant, but acceptable. 

Maybe a bunch of ships prebuild (created by AI or players) shared between the players as cheap resolution if we have situation that 2 AI nation want build a new class of the ship? We send the anonymous data anyway and I believe the ship model is only 1000 lines (500KB), so is not the problem to storage these ships or collect them. And if we want more "random" ships we can refit these basic models. 10,000 ships saved should take less than 5GB that will be 32 different ship for each class for each year. Don't know if this is good idea or bad, but I don't know how to resolve the issue (optimizing the AI to build ship we can on some point and we have problem quality and long time spend for the AI to create ship vs fast creating a bad ship). 

^^ This as ZorinW suggest and original Autor of the post should be implemented or at least we should go in this way. I don't believe this post is from 2019 and now we have 2022... 

btw. 1.06.18.1 - actual version of the game? :D

Edited by Plazma

21 minutes ago, Plazma said:

I think the build mechanic need be reworked or improve, but this is game. Not every ship what was constructed we can make a valid model in the game. 

You using G. Turbins, low speed (only 33) and short range, standard bulkheads, because of that the medium part of the ship is light compared to the fore and aft part of the ship. 

About performance of the game, I saw one time probably memory leak, 13 GB used by game. But on each turn "building ships" take a lot of time. Sometimes 30s, but sometimes 5 minutes. I know the AI need more time to build the ship, but could you think about:

- using all resources what we have.

- building the AI ships in the background ( like if we manage the fleet, politic tab, research tab, the time what we spend not fighting) with some method that allow the AI save temporary building ship and go back after to building after battle? 

I know these 2 features are hard to implement, but if we will have more complex ships and we want improve the AI ships and additional we will add few more nations we can have a problem in the future, when each nation will construct the ships and the AI need more and more time to do it. Simply if now AI example need 60s to build a new class of the ship (and usually the AI don't do it great job), in the future this could be 60 + 30 (to improve the AI builidng) +30 (new elements/parameters of the ships) * 6 AI nations (Russia, Britain, Germany, France, Hispanic, HA, Italy) we ended on waiting 120s*6= 12 minutes! This could be a problem. And I don't want to solve this problem, by giving the AI dices to roll the ship full random without "thinking". 

Even losing 5 minutes to watch the loading screen next playing 10-50 minutes is not pleasant, but acceptable. 

Maybe a bunch of ships prebuild (created by AI or players) shared between the players as cheap resolution if we have situation that 2 AI nation want build a new class of the ship? We send the anonymous data anyway and I believe the ship model is only 1000 lines (500KB), so is not the problem to storage these ships or collect them. And if we want more "random" ships we can refit these basic models. 10,000 ships saved should take less than 5GB that will be 32 different ship for each class for each year. Don't know if this is good idea or bad, but I don't know how to resolve the issue (optimizing the AI to build ship we can on some point and we have problem quality and long time spend for the AI to create ship vs fast creating a bad ship). 

^^ This as ZorinW suggest and original Autor of the post should be implemented or at least we should go in this way. I don't believe this post is from 2019 and now we have 2022... 

btw. 1.06.18.1 - actual version of the game? :D

You are quite correct, it is a game and maybe it shouldn't have to be able to handle all kinds of ship designs, but this one is soooo basic. Besides, that is the actual speed and range of the Turbine class and the bulkheads are standard cause otherwise it would exceed the weight limit.

• Like 2

I think the hit chances are kinda off...

my German BB in the year 1893 (maybe a bit later but still not much) not only made at the first shot a hit but has made hits in almost all salvos some of which had 13% hit chance (the first one was 6%).

maybe I'm uncharacteristically lucky or something is off.

Edit:

Nevermind, the rest of the battle my BB needed forever to hit anything.

Edited by SiWi

Quick feedback here, but I've just about had it with the way missions are generated in campaign. 
Please, for the love of God, allow us to give more specific assignments to units, and ACTUALLY MAKE FORMATIONS OF SHIPS. It's well and good and all to put a squadron of BB's in a port, and give them an assignment, but this might as well not even be in the game if the ships don't actually follow instructions. 
E.G; I had 16 dreadnoughts for a 1920's campaign, and no light forces as pre-1930's cruisers and DD's are kinda crap. Fleet was broken up into 4 squadrons, 4 ships each, over 4 different ports. The idea was that these units would be able to sortie and attack enemy task forces as they sailed into range, but instead, they elected to Sail Out Alone Into Hostile Waters. Not all 4 ships sailing out together as intended, but a single ship sailing out without any support for no f***ing reason. The result was entirely predictable, single BB's getting ambushed by upwards of a dozen enemy light ships, Even Though I Explicitly Designed Formations So This Wouldn't Happen. I know that an enemy cruiser group stands no chance against a squadron of battleships, and that it'd be a one sided slaughter if they engaged. That's The F***ing Point. I'm not sure how the campaign match maker works, I know that it loosely tries to arranged fair fights, but making fair fights shouldn't come at the cost of breaking up player-made formations. If the AI can't put together a taskforce capable of taking on a player's taskforce, that's tough shit for the AI, and it should pay the consequences.

I set my fleet up to have a strong, yet flexible response to hostile incursions, but instead I have BB captains sneaking out alone to commit mass-suicide-by-enemy-fire and endanger the war effort. I believe my strategy to be sound, but if my captains are just going to wipe their asses with my orders, then I'm really not sure why I'm bothering.

Edited by SodaBit
  • Like 10

It seems impossible to keep allies, I'm the UK and France is getting -16 relations to me every turn because I have fleets fighting germany and austrohungary alongside them.... 

Edit: 

image.png.07525f2fd59c3c8ba38578008e2e5e49.png

is this a joke 

Edited by Makko
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, AdmiralObvious said:

Is it intentional that torpedoes always deviate course to the right?

Yes, including the dud mechanic. That being said i also get the impression that the torps have a much longer range than indicated.

But AI is a dirty cheater when it comes to torps anyway.

• Like 2

55 minutes ago, Zombie1914 said:

That being said i also get the impression that the torps have a much longer range than indicated.

But AI is a dirty cheater when it comes to torps anyway.

You are correct about the range, but is the same mechanic for both the player and the AI.

From my experience, there is only one situation where we can see the AI cheating in game. We know it is only possible to get the crew to trained level with training. But is possible to see the in the first battle AI ships already with veteran crews without previous combat experience.

I am not complaining. If it helps the AI in combat, is good for me, but yes is a little cheat.

However, I need to add this. Before accusing the AI in this game of cheating, know  that in reality the big cheater in this game, is us the players, not the AI. We have unrealistic access to critical information that changes completely the battle dynamic. The game would be a lot harder and fair for both sides if we didn't have this intel.

Edited by o Barão

41 minutes ago, o Barão said:

However, I need to add this. Before accusing the AI in this game of cheating, know  that in reality the big cheater in this game, is us the players, not the AI. We have unrealistic access to critical information that changes completely the battle dynamic. The game would be a lot harder and fair for both sides if we didn't have this intel.

The AI has access to all the critical information (and is usually much better at interpreting it).

The only "cheating" part on the player side is being able to interpret certain predefined AI behaviour and reacting accordingly but this is true to any game with a very few exceptions.

That being said the ability of the AI to fire torps in an coordinated offset pattern and my experience of getting hit by torp salvos out of nowhere, after several course changes when i myself didnt even know that i would be moving on the new course, makes the AI torp aiming questionable at best.

PS: Have you seen the way the AI dodging torps?

Edited by Zombie1914
PS

45 minutes ago, o Barão said:

From my experience, there is only one situation where we can see the AI cheating in game. We know it is only possible to get the crew to trained level with training. But is possible to see the in the first battle AI ships already with veteran crews without previous combat experience.

This is also possible for the player. You just need to crank up the training slider. Thats what makes all ships snipers in combat (and TBs in 1890 impossible to use due to the +600% range found bonus.

3 hours ago, Zombie1914 said:

The AI has access to all the critical information (and is usually much better at interpreting it).

The only "cheating" part on the player side is being able to interpret certain predefined AI behaviour and reacting accordingly but this is true to any game with a very few exceptions.

That being said the ability of the AI to fire torps in an coordinated offset pattern and my experience of getting hit by torp salvos out of nowhere, after several course changes when i myself didnt even know that i would be moving on the new course, makes the AI torp aiming questionable at best.

Let me explain more in details, so there is no confusion here.

There are many things where we as the player cheats in battle. It is all related to crucial information that should not be possible for us players to have.

1- When you spot a ship, you will a "?" mark about the ship class. This is to simulate your sailors trying to identify the targets at sea. Well, this is useless when you can just teleport your camera to the enemy unit and see what is the ship. This would be very important in a real battle to prioritize targets, set a battle plan, etc. In this game is irrelevant.

2- When an unknown enemy ship show up, you will know by clicking on the ship, what weapons the ship have and what is the weapons range. You will know this by looking at the circles in the sea. So you will know from the start if a ship have torpedoes or not and if you're inside their torpedo range as an example.

3- When an unknown enemy ship show up, you already will know if they can pen your ship armor by hovering the mouse above your ship.

4- When a target is identified, you will know exactly, their accuracy level for each gun updated in real time, their crew training level, how much ammo they have onboard, if they launched the torpedoes, and a detailed report about the ship damage.

So in conclusion, the player have access to a lot of NONSENSE BULLSHIT info that helps a lot in making the right decisions to win the battle easily. This is completely wrong and makes the game a lot easier for the player.

So it is a little ironic to see players complaining about how weak the AI is in battle, or if the AI cheats, when it is us the players that have access to crucial information to make everything easier for us.

Yes of course. Terrible. I hate to see a ship doing a 180-degree turn in the same spot. However, if you set your ships to AI control, you will get the same thing. So is it cheating if you can have the same thing? Or is in fact more of a situation of tweaking the AI ship movement?

3 hours ago, Sturmalex said:

This is also possible for the player. You just need to crank up the training slider. Thats what makes all ships snipers in combat (and TBs in 1890 impossible to use due to the +600% range found bonus.

Training slider will only get your crew to "trained" level. Everything above this level is only possible trough combat experience. You can crank up the training slider and check your ship's crew level in the "fleet panel" in the campaign map. If you see anything above the trained level without having any battles before, I would recommend taking a print and share or report to the devs. This would be a bug.

Rma26o5.jpg

Edited by o Barão
  • Like 2

10 minutes ago, o Barão said:

Training slider will only get your crew to "trained" level. Everything above this level is only possible trough combat experience. You can crank up the training slider and check your ship's crew level in the "fleet panel" in the campaign map. If you see anything above the trained level without having any battles before, I would recommend taking a print and share or report to the devs. This would be a bug.

Rma26o5.jpg

I think I posted this 3 or 4 times already in this thread that its possible to train your crew to vets.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Sturmalex said:

I think I posted this 3 or 4 times already in this thread that its possible to train your crew to vets.

Sorry, but I fail to remember, But if that is the case, sure is a bug that needs to be fixed. That would explain why I saw the AI with veterans crews without any battle experience.

1 minute ago, o Barão said:

Sorry, but I fail to remember, But if that is the case, sure is a bug that needs to be fixed. That would explain why I saw the AI with veterans crews without any battle experience.

No worries, I realized the comment read a bit snarky. I am not😄

It is one of my main gripes with the campaign (except of course the game breaking bugs).

• Like 1