Game-Labs Forum

Upcoming Alpha-5

Will the hulls ever have the name.of ships that used that designed listed with them when we go to make ships in either Naval Academy or custom.battles. I only ask because it would be cool to have that so if we want to design a specific ship we dont have to hunt through a plethora of hulls to make.the South Dakota or Seydlitz.

5 minutes ago, Cptbarney said:

I cant wait now lol.

This is what promises of new hulls, turrets and superstructures do to people.

And I am still waiting for further updates that would bring us more DD hulls and components.

• Like 3

18 hours ago, Dan Dare said:

On my decence i could only say that I was trying to be too much polite while dissagreeing strongly...without taking into acount that it could be interpreted the other way around... thanks a lot, will try on future, you know old dogs...

Style is style. I'll never complain about someone taking the time to include politeness as part of their message.

22 hours ago, Dan Dare said:

no option to scuttle must be implemented at all.

Trouble with that is there were quite a few ships that were scuttled through the period the game covers (1890-1950?).

Sure, not usually in a battle situation, but in the aftermath OR particularly in port:

The German High Seas Fleet, scuttling en masse in Scapa Flow. Of the 74 German ships at Scapa Flow, 15 of the 16 capital ships, 5 of the 8 cruisers, and 32 of the 50 destroyers were sunk. (see wiki article, it's quite an involved story that culminates in their scuttling)

Or the French fleet in Toulon that scuttled themselves when the Germans were clearly going to take control of them in 1942. Think about the significance of that date in the context of the Mediterranean theatre of war in particular had the Germans seized them.

Remember, too, the campaign will continue beyond any one conflict, so losing a ship through any means matters far beyond the action that caused the loss.

Others were sunk by 'friendly' torpedoes (there's no such thing, lol) after the crew was taken off.

Getting rid of a historically accurate function that was inherently possible in any ship due to seacocks and flood valves, AND WAS USED, makes no sense to me.

The issue is to make sure the AI doesn't use it in stupid ways, and that the player NEVER has a ship scuttle without their direct command to do so.

Cheers

Edited by Steeltrap

Just now, Shaftoe said:

This is what promises of new hulls, turrets and superstructures do to people.

And I am still waiting for further updates that would bring us more DD hulls and components.

Imagine next alpha if they announce quads, 20 inch guns, almost total freedom with component placement, and more hulls for DD's CL's and other ship types.

Imagine that also included, terrain and other things.

Forum would explode lol.

1 minute ago, Cptbarney said:

Imagine next alpha if they announce quads, 20 inch guns, almost total freedom with component placement, and more hulls for DD's CL's and other ship types.

Imagine that also included, terrain and other things.

Forum would explode lol.

I personally am not very interested with this seeming obsession of all the late tech (or beyond) that people seem to want.

Rather see a focus on testing each decade of the period the game covers.

But hey, that's just me.

Just now, Steeltrap said:

I personally am not very interested with this seeming obsession of all the late tech (or beyond) that people seem to want.

Rather see a focus on testing each decade of the period the game covers.

But hey, that's just me.

Well we need late game modern CL and DD hulls regardless. We could do with more hulls at pre dreadnought level as well and the ability to pick a nation so each nation gets their own national hull/s as well as a few generic hulls to make them different as well.

I want quads for normandie and KGV. And more freedom for design so we can build more accurate ships and also go bonkers more as well. Plus terrain so that we can have the options of fighting at sea or fighting near some islands, peninsulas, beaches etc.

The Campaign will basically cover each period (well at first it will be bare but still), in some way anyways.

Depends what alphas 6 and 7 bring first.

• Like 2

Don't get me wrong, I entirely understand and am only too happy for people to get these things.

It's just been so much the focus, however, possibly in part because that's what people seem most interested in playing.

Yet presumably the campaign will have tech advance somewhat constrained, so you don't have Bismarck v KG5 at Jutland, LOL.

Regardless, it's the damage model I see as the absolute stand out problem.

888316579_3inchhitat5300m53secondsintobattle.png.1bc8823e7d2e4a0fb594cdf47eed31d9.png

3" hit at 5.3km (I only have 2 2x3" on this design, too, placed as a way of balancing weight )on a CL in smoke inside the first 2 minutes of battle. Oos, LOL

Main magazines OUTSIDE effective armour zones is a bit of a problem, and has been since I started playing.

I am not a fan of the excessive value of 'angling' as I have said earlier, in part because it encourages behaviour almost entirely at odds with real world experiences, that's also why the entire armour scheme and damage model/placement of internals etc needs attention.

But if Nick's working on ballistics etc for now, that's fine. I just don't have a lot of interest until I see some movement on these core things.

I also maintain they're even more crucial when the game provides significantly more hits per 10 minutes than more historically accurate (although I understand why). Coupled with this damage and armour  model, however, it means there are that many opportunities for hits that devastate targets and the results are predictable.

In fact it's often the case of extremes. Either you blow something up with one hit, or you watch a CL soak up levels of punishment NO cruiser ever built could have withstood, let alone something closer to WW1.

Damage/armour models for me. They are by far the elements of the game as it is in need of significant attention as IMO they produce the most obviously unreasonable results with great regularity.

Cheers

Edited by Steeltrap
  • Like 1

@Steeltrap True, but in real life when you angle armour it requires even greater kinetic force to break through the same material than if it was just flat on, also size of the projectile, filler, shape and quality all matter drastically plus environmental factors too. Also we don't know if that CL had really weak extended belt armour as well. Plus we have no control over the internals of the ship, so no matter how much you tweak the damage model nothing will change unless you can physically move magazines to where ever.

Plus if it hit underneath the turret that can cause deotnations as sometimes in some ship magazines where stored there to provide quicker reloads and access to ammunition in general.

With an all or nothing armour scheme even small arms fire could pen the bow or aft/stern of a ship or blast damage from their own guns as well.

So we need an internal designer before we can adjust the damage model entirely. Unless they plan to do both.

I also rarely experience that sort of thing in game from small caliber guns atm (will have to experiment more).

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, Steeltrap said:

Trouble with that is there were quite a few ships that were scuttled through the period the game covers (1890-1950?).

...Scapa Flow...

... Toulon...

Getting rid of a historically accurate function that was inherently possible in any ship due to seacocks and flood valves, AND WAS USED, makes no sense to me.

I didnt deny there were scuttled ships, which i denny is that you should have scuttling as an option...

Scuttling by a Navy had only happened in the following situations:

a) to block a port entrance (rarely suscessfull if ever)

b) avoid a ship/wreck being capture by the enemy. (toulon and scapa are good examples, but yorktown at midway is even better)

c) speed up the "inevitable "sinking of a ship. ( and it usually had happned just because of fear it wouldnt finally sunk ...so then situation "b" will apply...Lutzow at Jutland is a good example )

d) Graff Spee at River Plate (the rarest,  where a captian not willing to make his crew pay for his own mistakes decide to scuttle his ship and commit suicide).

"a"...I doubt we will be able to block enemy ports...

"d" will not pay the cost of coding to make it get any similarity with the real situation...

"b" and "c" could only have any sense if "capturing an enemy ship/wreck" is also possible...afaik there were just some few suscessfull cases of minor ships in the period the game decipts and all before 1900...but maybe I'm wrong...but if there is not a possiblity of your ship being captured and you scuttle the vessel you should be courtmartialed and dishonored...

If you tell me that the game will have the option of capturing enemy ships (that really i think is weird), then i will fully support scuttling as an option, if it will not be there then there is no sense at all on having that option.....but, and I repeat myself, just on response to the capture threath.

Ah!!, I almost forgot... I´m sorry to tell you that, contrary to what most of the people think, sea cocks and flood valves are not intended for scuttling the ship...that by means of manipulating them you could do that is another matter...

30 minutes ago, Dan Dare said:

. I´m sorry to tell you that, contrary to what most of the people think, sea cocks and flood valves are not intended for scuttling the ship...that by means of manipulating them you could do that is another matter...

Excuse me? What, other than seemingly pretending you know more than most in this forum, does it matter what the usual purpose of seacocks and flood valves are? Do I need to list them?

Are we discussing the usual uses of them?

Can they be used to scuttle the ship?

Were they used in that fashion?

Is any OTHER use relevant to the discussion of scuttling a ship?

You can be as "sorry to tell me" as you like, but the only thing to apologise over is mentioning their usual uses at all in a way that is both entirely irrelevant AND condescending.