Game-Labs Forum

Need help finding the book with Dutch ships!

admin

20 minutes ago, z4ys said:

Can you provide some additional infos please.

Dutch ship Rotterdam. 
@GreedyGriffin found it in black in white (but not sure the image relates to the correct ship - but name and company checks out)
https://www.wrecksite.eu/wreck.aspx?183669

I downloaded the image from one of the online collections in 2015 Digital scan of the book (the rest of images did not look interesting) but now i cannot find it as it was probably deleted or removed. 

21 minutes ago, admin said:

Dutch ship Rotterdam. 
@GreedyGriffin found it in black in white (but not sure the image relates to the correct ship - but name and company checks out)
https://www.wrecksite.eu/wreck.aspx?183669

I downloaded the image from one of the online collections in 2015 Digital scan of the book (the rest of images did not look interesting) but now i cannot find it as it was probably deleted or removed. 

I found it, Sir.

http://miniaturasjm.com/mi-biblioteca/ship-decoration-16301780/

• Like 4

Travel data

departure on from to arrival at skipper's room
29/12/1716 Goeree Batavia 14/09/1717 Rotterdam Hendrik Lont

via: Cape of Good Hope from 15/05/1717 to 06/06/1717
01/12/1717 Batavia Goeree 17/07/1718 Delft Hendrik Lont

via: Cape of Good Hope from 22/02/1718 to 07/04/1718
28/12/1718 Goeree Batavia 16/08/1719 Delft Jacob van der Poel

via: Cape of Good Hope from 12/05/1719 to 16/06/1719
11/22/1720 Ceylon Rammekens 22/08/1721 Zeeland Jacob van der Poel

via: Cape of Good Hope from 09/02/1721 to 23/04/1721
  The coffee vessels Luchtenburg and Rotterdam may, as far as the space permits, be loaded with cinnamon, but must go to Patria as quickly as possible.
03/03/1722 Rammekens VERVERAN 15/06/1722 Zeeland Gerrit Fiers

via: Cape of Good Hope from 13/06/1722 to unknown

Characteristics

Construction built in 1716 for the Chamber of Rotterdam on the VOC yard in Rotterdam
Use in service with the VOC from 1716 to 15/06/1722 (perish, Cape of Good Hope, South Africa)
Length 145 feet
Load capacity 400 load (800 tons)
Crew 200-250 heads

Perished during a storm at the Cape of Good Hope on June 15, 1722.

Edited by Thonys
  • Like 2

35 minutes ago, z4ys said:

Study-Of-The-Stern-Of-The-Dutch-Warship-1065832-large.jpg

looks similar to be honest.

by Francois van Douwe

(dutch, 1659 - 1735)

Study of the stern of the Dutch warship De Maas

Rotterdam had this unique french style (flat paintings on top) combined with dutch style which gradually gave way to just sculptures and decorations. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, admin said:

Rotterdam had this unique french style (flat paintings on top) combined with dutch style which gradually gave way to just sculptures and decorations. 

Sir, I searched for info about Francois Van Douwe. According to sources, "he designed and manufactured, among other things, ship's mirrors, a marble choir screen in the Laurenskerk and the casing of the organ in the Oosterkerk in Rotterdam"

Study-Of-The-Stern-Of-The-Dutch-Warship-

csgFHaV.jpg

francois-van-douwe-study-of-the-stern-of

The colour, perspective, composition and attention to detail are too similar. Those paintings are from the same author. 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Capitan Salazar said:

Sir, I searched for info about Francois Van Douwe. According to sources, "he designed and manufactured, among other things, ship's mirrors, a marble choir screen in the Laurenskerk and the casing of the organ in the Oosterkerk in Rotterdam"

francois-van-douwe-study-of-the-stern-of

The colour, perspective, composition and attention to detail are too similar. Those paintings are from the same author. 

its a yacht

it bears the flag of the batavian republic era

and the coat of arm of the general admiralty (old generaliteits wapen ) Zuid holland

Edited by Thonys
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, Thonys said:

it bears the flag of the batavian republic era

Honestly, I'm not convinced. The flags of the navy of the Batavian Republic looked quite different: They show a seated "Liberty" who - together with the "Batavian Lion"  - holds a staff crowned by a (sailor's) top hat. The field of the pennant (Wimpel) is all red.

Flags_of_the_navy_of_the_Batavian_Republ

Regarding the style of the ornaments of the yacht shown above, it is very much like c.1700 indeed. The flag appears to show a pair of crossed anchors topped by what looks like a crown (?), all surrounded by a floral pattern. The hoist end of the larger pennant shows the same crowned crossed anchors, in my opinion.

Edited by Wagram

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...