Game-Labs Forum

>>>"Alpha-1 v.60+" General Feedback<<< [LATEST UPDATE: v61, 10/10/2019]

Nick Thomadis

5 hours ago, Christian said:

yeah quad turrets and stuff is still missing

i know its in the game as one of my friends who tried the unfinished and wip campaign came across it and screen grabbed it

unknown.png

@Nick Thomadis -

So does this mean that we will be able to have quad turrets for all the large battleship calibre guns? Looking at what we have available to us, pretty much all the calibres from 9 through 18 inch are present (even the 17 inch gun, which does give me a few laughs), so can we expect to have quad 16 or 18 inch guns or other calibres that were either uncommon or entirely ahistorical? 

8 hours ago, Schwieger said:

@Nick Thomadis -

So does this mean that we will be able to have quad turrets for all the large battleship calibre guns? Looking at what we have available to us, pretty much all the calibres from 9 through 18 inch are present (even the 17 inch gun, which does give me a few laughs), so can we expect to have quad 16 or 18 inch guns or other calibres that were either uncommon or entirely ahistorical? 

The purpose of this game is to create warships, it is not an historical game, if it is technically possible to create 18 inch quadruple turrets why not

• Like 1

i mean i personally would like 19-20 inch guns like the japanese 51cm gun but yeah thats just for my 90k superton dreams 

(even the 17 inch gun, which does give me a few laughs)

i mean the french did have a 17 inch (431mm) gun in development although it never went very far

the french 450mm gun was prioritized over the 431mm gun so only the 450mm gun was produced

https://cdn-live.warthunder.com/uploads/7e/ec/ca/b59ecd97d1871694d252833cbd6f9c467e_lq/450mm+2.jpg

http://cdn-live.warthunder.com/uploads/62/84/73/1e12545b128bf7bdbfa1e02fdd175ab919_lq/450mm 1.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/z3lruch.png

pieces of the gun were still there in the 1980s (specifically a large piece of the breech barrel is missing) 

but they were removed at some point along with the rest of the guns 

Edited by Christian

Hi!

I'm playing on lower end computer (although above min spec) and because of this expirience some performance issues which might not be reported previously. First of all it's not easy to force the game to use SLI graphics. Beside this - generally combat runs pretty smooth for me (at least on simple graphics setting, have to re-check on higher [edit: just checked on "good" - animation is still smooth when no ship is selected, otherwise is crappy]), but when i select and highlight any ship it starts to drop fps significantly. Once I unselec ship it goes smooth again.

Other UI issue - on lower resolutions bottom bar (with ship parts) is to wide and covers bottom part of ship stats dialog. It's impossible to read funel efficiency, even after scolling dialog down to bottom.

anyway - great job, this alpha tutorial feels nearly like full game :D  can't wait for campaign.

cheers

Piotr

Edited by Piotr

7 hours ago, Christian said:

i mean i personally would like 19-20 inch guns like the japanese 51cm gun but yeah thats just for my 90k superton dreams 

i mean the french did have a 17 inch (431mm) gun in development although it never went very far

the french 450mm gun was prioritized over the 431mm gun so only the 450mm gun was produced

https://cdn-live.warthunder.com/uploads/7e/ec/ca/b59ecd97d1871694d252833cbd6f9c467e_lq/450mm+2.jpg

http://cdn-live.warthunder.com/uploads/62/84/73/1e12545b128bf7bdbfa1e02fdd175ab919_lq/450mm 1.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/z3lruch.png

pieces of the gun were still there in the 1980s (specifically a large piece of the breech barrel is missing) 

but they were removed at some point along with the rest of the guns 

I wouldn't complain if we're given 19-20 inch guns. How else can be build some of the super super ships?

1 minute ago, Schwieger said:

I wouldn't complain if we're given 19-20 inch guns. How else can be build some of the super super ships?

neither would i

the damage a single shot would cause 

"its just a 2200kg shell they said"
"it dosent have that much filler"

"its not that much pen"

laughs in 45 inch point blank penetration

• Like 1

Hi! I really love this game (allready)! 

Here's my feedback, thoughts on improvment: NOTE!!!: This is just my opinion, I'm not demanding anything.

1. Lose the flag at the bow of the ship...it just looks silly with 3 flags all over the ship. Few fotos from the time shows a flag at the bow, apart from when on parade/official visits etc.

2. Make it optional to remove the shell tracers, I want it as realistic as possible, this just looks like World of Warships.

3. Some kind of indicator to show where the enemy torpedos are when they have been detected. (optional)

4. No suiciding destroyers. It seems that most of the time the destroyers just charge at you with no fear of getting a 15 inch shell between the eyes. But I'm sertain you are already working on this.

5. Be able to set the secondaries to only fire att destroyers or TB etc.

6. A option to swing all main guns at one side or another in preparation for contact.

7. Setting the main gun to fire independent or in salvos.

Thanks for a fantastic game. Keep upp the good work!!!

Peter

Edited by pansarskott

First, I would like to say that I think this game is going to do well.  For an Alpha, it is already quite playable and fun,.  I really cannot wait until I can start a Campaign  I'm thinking that the campaign will resemble the Rule the Waves Model, or something like that.  If it's not, I'm sure it will still be GREAT

Suggestions:  

The litlte dial you use to turn the ship...either lose it entirely or add a way to manually turn with precise control of the amount of degrees of your turn..

Have small interactions pop up that pause the game while you are in battle (at any time, really, when you decide to fight a battle yourself instead of having it simmed.)  

They would take the form of  your first officer, or your COB, or Chief Engineer, essaentially some pool of commissioned and non commissioned officers.  Have then present your with descisions about the operation of the boat, or what damage to fix and in what priority, or informing you that one of the boilers is malfunctioning, or to bring you tea, any number of things that could come up in a balttle to help immerse the player a little bit more and make him/her feel that their choices matter in the combat phase (other than guiding where the ship is going) You can do a lot of things with this method and I doubt it wouild be difficult to throw into the game...or maybe it would?  I don't know rreally. I was just thinking maybe a picture of the officer and a text box next to him with a choice of answers.  Also what might be interesting is handpicking a core set of crewmen,each with a set of skills and a short bio>?

Sound wise, you are almost there I think.  Really play up the sound of those shells traveling through the air.

Make the smoke more black and less gray and twice as persistant.  I know that it would slow down machines but it would look better

What if you ship is  unbalanced subtley and you need to change things around after a test cruise because the ship develops a wild rocking even in relatively calnm seas, or maybe she takes on water at the bow at high speeds--or always--and flooding is a problem you have even at the start of a battle.  Or maybe your design causes it to roll over during heavy seas.  

O!H!  and one last thing but important I think:  Have a little icon that looks like a pair of binoculars and when you press a button you look through them directly at who you are targeting at, showing you a slightly zoomed in target picture, but more importantly you can more easily see how your shells are falling, and you can see the target ship;s damage readout.  SOmetimes its hard to see how well or poorly you are doing during a long range duel.  

anyway, good work on the game.  Keep it up.  

51 minutes ago, Null said:

Have small interactions pop up that pause the game while you are in battle (at any time, really, when you decide to fight a battle yourself instead of having it simmed.)  

They would take the form of  your first officer, or your COB, or Chief Engineer, essaentially some pool of commissioned and non commissioned officers.  Have then present your with descisions about the operation of the boat, or what damage to fix and in what priority, or informing you that one of the boilers is malfunctioning, or to bring you tea, any number of things that could come up in a balttle to help immerse the player a little bit more and make him/her feel that their choices matter in the combat phase (other than guiding where the ship is going) You can do a lot of things with this method and I doubt it wouild be difficult to throw into the game...or maybe it would?  I don't know rreally. I was just thinking maybe a picture of the officer and a text box next to him with a choice of answers.  Also what might be interesting is handpicking a core set of crewmen,each with a set of skills and a short bio>?

Please don't. There's nothing more annyong than a popup which breaks the flow of battle.

• Like 2

On 10/6/2019 at 3:33 PM, Nick Thomadis said:

We have a Kamikawa Maru as a possible name but not to every transport. Can you elaborate on that matter?

The Japanese cargo ship's ship's where all called Maru as the ending so Bombay Maru I assume it means cargo ship In Japanese or something like this basically if you add Maru to every cargo Ship the Japanese faction your good

First of all, Great game so far and keep up the good work. I’ve really enjoyed playing it and can’t wait to see more as your work progresses.

I would like to see the devoloment team consider changing the barbet, tower, and funnel snapping characteristics to the same as for the centerline main guns. A main gun irl requires a barbet regardless. It is just not as visible as the superfiring guns so it would make sense to be able to place a raised one in any location you can place a turret. Currently it seems to be limited to specific snapping locations. I would also like to see the same considered for both towers and funnels (although I can see consideration for funnels matching aproximated engineering areas) having a placing mechanic that replicates the current main centerline turrets. 

The barbets may be an easy change however, I do understand the issues implementing this across the board with towers and funnels as many hulls were modeled with designated areas for them that could create problems in placement, but it would be nice to see it on the more open types if it’s an easy implementation?

Thank you for considering our opinions and keep up the Great Work!

I'd like to give my overall feedback of the alpha version of Ultimate admiral Dreadnoughts after spending many hours playing it.

I really love the idea of customizing the ships and coming up with your own unique designs. I love to give a ship big guns as well as a lot of  casement turrets. The animations and effects are really beautiful for a alpha version of the game. Its nice to see these ships fight in action and watch the fires, explosions and sinking.

However my main problem with the game is the combat. Its nice that all you have to do is select a target and the ship fires at it, but the target suddenly changing is annoying and using the right click to change the target as well as steering the ship in the right direction can lead to accidental moments which result in your ship getting damaged or even destroyed.

The most frustrating part is the gunfire. You can determine the gun caliber, shells and powder to use. but even if you use the best ones money can buy, the aiming of the guns sucks and you'll be spending ages trying to hit the target. Even if you are lucky, there are cases where a ship will be heavily damaged, yet it just won't sink unless you keep on pelting shells at it. But in the training mission where your under a time limit, this makes some of the missions very frustrating to complete. 

I believe this has potential to be a great game for dreadnought enthusiasts. But unless they give clear ideas on how to use the main guns properly or make it easier to sink enemy ships. This so far is a game that looks really nice, but is frustrating to play. 

Enjoying it immensely - until I hit the BB vs TB - finally tried it with dual 13" guns so when I did manage to score a hit it blew the tbs out of the water. If you make these missions non-skip will cause a major block in the flow - it took me 7 tries to beat it.

Also, I noticed in that mission that the secondary tower 3 doesn't have a base accuracy statistic. Is that intentional or just missing?

Played again after patch ... I see some improvements, especially with torpedo hits, but it is still not perfect. Played two DDs against armoured cruiser and transports. I had 22" torpedoes, so I hoped to devastating hits. It works with transports, one torpedo hit was enough for all of them. Problem was armoured cruiser. It was hit by one in the centre, ok, some flooding, but nothing serous.  Then, after lets say 10 minutes, it was hit by another four torpedoes ... and no serious damage, do more flooding ... strange. I saw something similar some battle later, when my shop was hit by torpedo and by another one later. Later hits made near to nothing ... check it please, there is some bug probably ...

On 10/14/2019 at 4:30 AM, Schwieger said:

Quad guns will become available gradually for very big, late tech guns. Not sure if it is correct to make available for smaller caliber, players can comment on that.

10 hours ago, CompB said:

Also, I noticed in that mission that the secondary tower 3 doesn't have a base accuracy statistic. Is that intentional or just missing?

Probably you mean the "Long Range Accuracy" (?) because most secondary towers, except some tall or late tech towers, do not have Long accuracy rating.

46 minutes ago, Nick Thomadis said:

Quad guns will become available gradually for very big, late tech guns. Not sure if it is correct to make available for smaller caliber, players can comment on that.

Probably you mean the "Long Range Accuracy" (?) because most secondary towers, except some tall or late tech towers, do not have Long accuracy rating.

historically ships did use quad guns in small calibers though very few quad mount types of small caliber existed (mostly because its usually better to just plonk down a triple 152mm instead of a quad 130mm or a twin 203mm instead of a quad 130mm 

the smallest i can think of the is the french 130mm gun on dunkerque and Strassbourg 

WNFR_51-45_m1932_Strasbourg_pic.jpg

soviets made a 57mm quad turret but im not sure if it counts since its from the mid 50s and its more anti air than anti ship (though it was used as main guns on a few dds) also its a 57mm 

Edited by Christian

14 minutes ago, Christian said:

historically ships did use quad guns in small calibers though very few quad mount types of small caliber existed (mostly because its usually better to just plonk down a triple 152mm instead of a quad 130mm or a twin 203mm instead of a quad 130mm 

the smallest i can think of the is the french 130mm gun on dunkerque and Strassbourg 

WNFR_51-45_m1932_Strasbourg_pic.jpg

soviets made a 57mm quad turret but im not sure if it counts since its from the mid 50s and its more anti air than anti ship (though it was used as main guns on a few dds) also its a 57mm 

Bro, ever heard of Bofors ?
http://www.navweaps.com/Weapons/WNUS_4cm-56_mk12.php

But just in general, Quad mounts of all shapes and sizes were used. There is no reason why we shouldn't be able to literally have every single gun in all 4 configurations. 

Edited by Niomedes

3 minutes ago, Niomedes said:

Bro, ever heard of Bofors ?
http://www.navweaps.com/Weapons/WNUS_4cm-56_mk12.php

But just in general, Quad mounts of all shapes and sizes were used. There is no reason why we shouldn't be able to literally have every single gun in all 4 configurations. 

was thinking it was a bit too small

since the smallest anti ship guns currently are 2" guns so i was thinking the 57mm would count

going into aa guns gets a bit funky once the sextuple and octuple mounts begin to show up

Edited by Christian

per Nick Thomadis: " Probably you mean the "Long Range Accuracy" (?) because most secondary towers, except some tall or late tech towers, do not have Long accuracy rating. " [I couldn't quote this portion of your post]

• Rear Tower I: +4 Aim Speed, +2 Base Accuracy
  • Rear Tower II: +4 Aim Speed, +4 Base Accuracy
  • Rear Tower III: +4.5 Aim Speed, Base Accuracy not listed

Is Base Accuracy the same as Long Range Accuracy? I couldn't find anything which says what statistic affects what accuracy.

10 hours ago, Nick Thomadis said:

Quad guns should be available for most guns.  Speaking of 5" (127mm)+
There has been quad turret proposals, and even actual use for some guns around 127mm, 203mm, 283mm, 330mm, 356mm, 380mm, 406mm, 510mm in size.

Edited by Jetu

10 hours ago, CompB said:

per Nick Thomadis: " Probably you mean the "Long Range Accuracy" (?) because most secondary towers, except some tall or late tech towers, do not have Long accuracy rating. " [I couldn't quote this portion of your post]

• Rear Tower I: +4 Aim Speed, +2 Base Accuracy
  • Rear Tower II: +4 Aim Speed, +4 Base Accuracy
  • Rear Tower III: +4.5 Aim Speed, Base Accuracy not listed

Is Base Accuracy the same as Long Range Accuracy? I couldn't find anything which says what statistic affects what accuracy.

Thank you a lot. Issue found and will be fixed in next update.