Game-Labs Forum

How Do You Define Crafting? Leveling Up!

I am not quite sure why mention me here (i am not a dev or close to them).

But for me the solution looks more like decouple the max Lh stored from the crafting rank. 

Then you only need the crafting rank for building higher rate ships and then it makes some sense to craft some smaller ship first to get crafting rank.

You could have something like labour organisation rank (or however you want to call it) that increases by using your Lh and raises your LH cap. 

6 minutes ago, Atreides said:

*BUMP*

@Ink @admin @balticsailor @Powderhorn

This PROBLEM needs to be addressed on behalf of every player without a bloody shipyard currently being punished with no way to have more than 1000 labour hours.

Reduced craft XP based on what is crafted, or some other mechanic but no -0- xp unless you build a ship.

I agree that any crafting should add to XP.  They just need to do the math and slip it in.  What do y'all think would be suitable?  For every cannon crafted you get 1 XP?  10 Hull reps give 1 XP? We are talking about anything that comes out of the Workshop, Forge, and Academy, right?

• Like 2

*Facepalms* You know, a lot of us were already quite upset that due to the lack or ship parts that have to be crafted to build ships (blocks, frame parts, ingots, and etc.) as the production for it allowed for smaller players to be able to participate in the crafting economy and assist the shipbuilders.  Taking out the crafting experience for repairs and guns is extremely ridiculous as now there's no way for us to get the crafting level up to get the labor hours to get the resources out of the production buildings...  This is literally the complete opposite direction that we wanted.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Angus MacDuff said:

(just to play devil's advocate) Do we really need the extra LH if we are not Crafting Ships? Why does it matter if we only have 1k LH per day?  More importantly, why would the Devs want to freeze our LH if we're not building ships?

for resource collection. Large clans utilize lots of clan members labor hours to pull out resources, and let the crafters save their hours for ship assembly. If you cap out at 1k hours, you can't even get close to being able to keep one level 3 building drained and fed, nevermind more.

It stands to reason if it consumes crafting hours to pull out resources, it should yield crafting experience to do so, along with every other task. Admin can adjust each of the tasks to fit some piece of the puzzle. Maybe its .25xp per unit pulled out, etc. That way over the long term there is crafting experience made and labor hour increases done.

The real solution is probably admin's old suggestion of removing labor hours entirely.

• Like 2

In this type of game where players can have various roles it seems strange that someone who trades, fishes, collects resources, and makes Repairs, is perpetually stuck at the lowest level of labor hours.

My cap for labor hours should rise  if I am using them everyday, even if the rate of increase is very low.  It represents an increase in skill from experience.

Perhaps shipbuilding XP should be separate from the XP earned from resource gathering and making Repairs.

• Like 1

This is in response to Angus MacDuff as it pertains to how much XP for a cannon.  1XP per cannon is ridiculously low. Think about it. First you have to pay for the setup of a Coal Mine as well as an Iron mine.  Then you have to get enough money and doubloons to put up a workshop.  Now you have to expend labor hours to take the coal and iron out of the mine and then it takes more labor hours to craft one cannon. What an Investment, so far.  Each cannon takes so many reals and so many labor hours. The XP should be commensurate with the size and type of gun crafted.  a 42 pound long should result in more xp than a 6 lb long.  I believe a ratio associated with the amount of labor hours expended to craft, lets say 32--42 pound longs should yield at least a 25 to 50% return in crafting level accrued. For example, it takes 288 labor hours to craft 32--42 lb longs and 3292 reals, 192 iron and 168 coal.  Add up all the hours it takes to mine all the materials add to it the labor hours to craft the 32 42 lb longs, multiply that by .25 to .50 and that is about how many hours one should get credited to their crafting level. 

Edited by CoolBreeze66
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, CommodoreWesley said:

*Facepalms* You know, a lot of us were already quite upset that due to the lack or ship parts that have to be crafted to build ships (blocks, frame parts, ingots, and etc.) as the production for it allowed for smaller players to be able to participate in the crafting economy and assist the shipbuilders.  Taking out the crafting experience for repairs and guns is extremely ridiculous as now there's no way for us to get the crafting level up to get the labor hours to get the resources out of the production buildings...  This is literally the complete opposite direction that we wanted.

I think this sums up my problem with it really well...My friend is crafting cannons for sale, but is always running out of labor.

Everything requires labor now, you can no longer just buy teak, white oak, live oak from producing ports, you now need to invest labor to pull it out yourself. I was also engaged in buying labor from other players (turning my oak logs into oak planks etc) to increase my shipbuilding capacity. There is now no way to do this, everyone needs to pull resources themselves. 

We only get 5 buildings...why does every player need a shipyard to level crafting? People should not be limited to 1000 hours if they are engaged in any way in the crafting process (pulling resources, making cannons, etc). It is up to the devs to determine a reasonable craft xp reward for these items, but it should be nonzero.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CoolBreeze66 said:

This is in response to Angus MacDuff as it pertains to how much XP for a cannon.  1XP per cannon is ridiculously low. Think about it. First you have to pay for the setup of a Coal Mine as well as an Iron mine.  Then you have to get enough money and doubloons to put up a workshop.  Now you have to expend labor hours to take the coal and iron out of the mine and then it takes more labor hours to craft one cannon. What an Investment, so far.  Each cannon takes so many reals and so many labor hours. The XP should be commensurate with the size and type of gun crafted.  a 42 pound long should result in more xp than a 6 lb long.  I believe a ratio associated with the amount of labor hours expended to craft, lets say 32--41 pound longs should yield at least a 25 to 50% return in crafting level accrued. For example, it takes 288 labor hours to craft 32--42 lb longs and 3292 reals, 192 iron and 168 coal.  Add up all the hours it takes to mine all the materials add to it the labor hours to craft the 32 42 lb longs, multiply that by .25 to .50 and that is about how many hours one should get credited to their crafting level. 

Yeah, I was just throwing numbers out to start the conversation.  You've clearly put a little more thought into it.  Maybe we should also consider the XP earned for building a ship?  Decide on a percentage of a ship's xp that could go to Cannon XP.  I'm not really suggesting a firm number because if Devs were to consider this, they would also make that decision.  Who knows, if you give them a useable formula, they might even use it!

• Like 1