Game-Labs Forum

Modify the names over the ships ?

Thanks for the reply.

1. Your right here. They will find a way regardless, so focus firing will be in the game no matter what and no matter how realistic it was in real life. Now that we agree on this point. :) we have to deal with the game play aspect and my point is that the calling of focus will serve to frustrate players if there is no way to do it easily. I think the frustration will take away from the fun and will be an issue for years to come.

2. Its not that it will be harder that worries me but that it will be irritating and that is worse.

3. Agreed

4. The number idea would work but at that point why not just have the names? What I really do like about what you say here is the part about making it something seen only when you press a button. Link it to the alt key or something. If you don't like seeing the names cuz of immersion reasons then you don't have to see them. Everyone is happy. :)

As a side note and just a reiteration. I think names are important because this is a community of people. I enjoy knowing who my adversaries are. Ive had very good relationships with people on Potbs that I continually fought and often lost against. I just think it would be sad to not be able to recognize your rivals when your fighting them. It would also be less "immersive" to have to type in area chat..." who are you guys" at the beginning of every fight. Of course, in the name of immersion, area chat will probably be argued against and if successful I will have absolutely no way to know who I'm fighting. Thats a community killer in my opinion.

No arguing about the first 3 then  :)  ...I would strive to keep focus firing too so long as it's not at the expense of game play and I think this is something that can easily be done.

RE: 4. (Let me just qualify again that I would only make changes like this in open world and designated friendly ship names are always shown.) Let's say we go with the numbers upon button press idea. Once well within cannon range the name is then displayed instead of the number, as you're close enough to discern the identity. This would mean that players with reputations for being aggressive could potentially close in before the other ship realises they're pirating and flee's. If names were always visible then they would have to give chase for ages as players would run as soon as they're spotted (players could still run of course if they chose to but they wouldn't know if it was justified).

You would have to pick fights more carefully and this would add tension as you close in. It wouldn't stop you from knowing who you're dealing with except in the unlikely scenario where you have a long range engagement (with limited ammo that costs you each time it's fired, yeah right...) and then someone runs or founders. Let's be honest, if you ever came to blows, ultimately someone would close to within hailing distance to either board, capture or to get better shots in and then their name would be revealed.

Personally, I would argue strongly for an 'area chat' so long as the catchment area was the same range at which the players name was revealed. That way you could swap info, trade, ask for favors/supplies, press crew etc. with a separate port/town chat and maybe an anonymous global..

Like I mentioned earlier though, this debate should not be seen as having any bearing on future decisions, the old slippery-slope argument ;)

I am going doolally as I am sure I just replied to page 7 being more about player conflict than the OP's subject.

We are 1 player carrying out many tasks a normal captain delegated to his officers.

Just one of those tasks was the signal officer.

He had the best telescope in the ship and files of ciphers. He also held a copy of the latest Naval Lists for all known allied and enemy captains listed against their last known command.

Yes some of those captains may have been replaced but in reality most captains stayed with their ships for years. Particularly the SOL's as chance for promotion starts to slow down when you are already on the post-captains list. So as soon as those pennants can be read you will know who the captain is.  Now unless a little midshipman is going to knock on my front door and ask for permission to speak...... I'd like an easy way to acknowledge and know my opponents names. I don't really mind how this is achieved on screen, just as long as I don't have to learn quantum physics to do so

This perspective is what comes from those that I like to call realism junkies. These perspectives forget that ultimately this is a game and ultimately must be fun to play and not frustrating and the problem with using arguments of such a black and white nature is you have to explain all your accepted transgressions of your philosophy. The hypocrisy of it.

(Im not really picking on you Plerrick just the realism junkie perspective in general. all respect to you!)

Is it that obtrusive? Does it get in the way for you? You exaggerate for effect but we all know of course that the names arnt that big. So, I'm not really sure what your getting at.

snip ...

I do want you to be SURE what I'm getting at.

Actually you are right Johny - they are not that big (6 foot tall) - in truth they vary in size in relationship to the ship under them.

I have included a screen shot in were I did a very simple math calculation showing that a Victory is about 8 banners high (I used Blood so as not to upset any

real Capt.) - we know from ACTUAL MEASUREMENTS that the real Victory is 205 feet from waterline to top of main mast.

So 205 / 8 = 25.6

Per scale they are 25.6 feet tall in the screenshot I used. Please don't call me an exaggerator again, unless you have your sword handy :P

screen%2Bshot2.jpg

• Like 1

I do want you to be SURE what I'm getting at.

Actually you are right Johny - they are not that big (6 foot tall) - in truth they vary in size in relationship to the ship under them.

I have included a screen shot in were I did a very simple math calculation showing that a Victory is about 8 banners high (I used Blood so as not to upset any

real Capt.) - we know from ACTUAL MEASUREMENTS that the real Victory is 205 feet from waterline to top of main mast.

So 205 / 8 = 25.6

Per scale they are 25.6 feet tall in the screenshot I used. Please don't call me an exaggerator again, unless you have your sword handy :P

screen%2Bshot2.jpg

Well if that was what you are getting at then I am in the wrong as I misunderstood your perspective. No need to pull out swords on each other when there are plenty of Frogs to stick.

Thanks for the reply.

No arguing about the first 3 then  :)  ...I would strive to keep focus firing too so long as it's not at the expense of game play and I think this is something that can easily be done.

RE: 4. (Let me just qualify again that I would only make changes like this in open world and designated friendly ship names are always shown.) Let's say we go with the numbers upon button press idea. Once well within cannon range the name is then displayed instead of the number, as you're close enough to discern the identity. This would mean that players with reputations for being aggressive could potentially close in before the other ship realises they're pirating and flee's. If names were always visible then they would have to give chase for ages as players would run as soon as they're spotted (players could still run of course if they chose to but they wouldn't know if it was justified).

You would have to pick fights more carefully and this would add tension as you close in. It wouldn't stop you from knowing who you're dealing with except in the unlikely scenario where you have a long range engagement (with limited ammo that costs you each time it's fired, yeah right...) and then someone runs or founders. Let's be honest, if you ever came to blows, ultimately someone would close to within hailing distance to either board, capture or to get better shots in and then their name would be revealed.

If your talking about the open world then I totally agree. I still think the recognition skill should allow us to extend our range of knowledge but you shouldn't be able to tell whos over the horizon. I think this move toward realism is a move in the right direction. The good thing is I think that the devs had said that this will be the case, or at least something similar.

Well if that was what you are getting at then I am in the wrong as I misunderstood your perspective. No need to pull out swords on each other when there are plenty of Frogs to stick.

Frogs - where are the frogs? I am ready!

:(

I am going doolally as I am sure I just replied to page 7 being more about player conflict than the OP's subject.

We are 1 player carrying out many tasks a normal captain delegated to his officers.

He had the best telescope in the ship and files of ciphers. He also held a copy of the latest Naval Lists for all known allied and enemy captains listed against their last known command.

Yes some of those captains may have been replaced but in reality most captains stayed with their ships for years. Particularly the SOL's as chance for promotion starts to slow down when you are already on the post-captains list. So as soon as those pennants can be read you will know who the captain is.  Now unless a little midshipman is going to knock on my front door and ask for permission to speak...... I'd like an easy way to acknowledge and know my opponents names. I don't really mind how this is achieved on screen, just as long as I don't have to learn quantum physics to do so

It's arguable to say he would definitely know the captain of any given ship even in Anglo-French encounters but let's for the sake of argument say they had a list of every enemy nation's ships, with all their captains and gun load-outs. Did he have one for the merchant vessels, fisherman, packet boats, coaliers or privateers too?

What is stopping you as a player from making your own list by gathering information in game. You could check in game naval lists, ask in ports "are there any privateers in the area?". Localised information could be a valuable resource if this were the case encouraing trade and cooperation. Not to mention what I've argued it brings to game play and approach tactics..

I guess you'll be all for handing the command of gunnery over to the mids and gun crews too then? :P

Everyone take a deep breath and step away from the swords. :rolleyes:

Discussion not bickering. That is what the forums have been and what I think we would all like to see them remain, no?

Opinions and POV's have been aired, to a disturbing degree in some cases but here is my point. Raise your issue, discuss but understand that everyone has their own POV and few will change it when they feel they have been attacked in some manner.

The bottom line is that while we get to discuss it here, the Dev's will decide and we will live with it or leave, and I don't think many would choose to give up the game over it, so don't work yourselves up over this.

Now travel times and size of world... there is a topic to get passionate over IMO   :D

No "virtual" Swords - awww :(

I really hope the Devs will at least consider something less obtrusive than a giant red banner over the enemy. Perhaps they will even consider that having the name spelled out TWICE is redundant .... since it is already included in the enemy (or friend) damage report.

Perhaps a red dot behind the name (for enemy) or a green dot (for friend) --- or --- expect you to keep track of friend/foe?

leviathan%2B2.jpg

Don't use green and red ffs. Colour blindness is a pain in the arse enough already. 

I like the idea of naming your own ship.

Also basic information over the ship would be fine, even you need to look at it to be sure.  

Once more customization comes in to the game, you can use that fact that people will focus on a leader to your own advantage, it works that way in Eve.  

• Like 1

How about using the information we have better to clean up the UI?

Like this:

Note it could also say Leviathan (French Team) or Leviathan (American Team) - and YOU decide if he is an enemy or not.

leviathan%2BEnemy.jpg

It names the player as on the opposition team and estimates the damage - as the battle progresses and your midshipmen get killed or reassigned the "estimates" get more and more "loose" - until they fail even.

Simulating the "fog of war"

• Like 1

Minor in the grand scheme of things, considering that when you fired 1 second earlier you knew the captain was there, and 4 seconds after when the smoke clears.... Still there :)

I'm poking some fun. But in all seriousness: what could transpire in the 3 seconds from firing to smoke clearing that the name gives away (now that you're reloading)?

I'll agree and say "smoke should hide the name", but it is a Polish & Gloss effect... those things dev do when there are less important game mechanics to work on.

So it's not worth discussing?  We could go through countless threads and say "that's not important to fix right now, stop talking about it".  :P

This is the Suggestions forum, it's for making suggestions.  Let the Developers handle the schedule, and we'll keep on making suggestions.  :)

Minor in the grand scheme of things, considering that when you fired 1 second earlier you knew the captain was there, and 4 seconds after when the smoke clears.... Still there :)

I'm poking some fun. But in all seriousness: what could transpire in the 3 seconds from firing to smoke clearing that the name gives away (now that you're reloading)?

I'll agree and say "smoke should hide the name", but it is a Polish & Gloss effect... those things dev do when there are less important game mechanics to work on.

possible le scenario that will never happen as long as the names are in http://imgur.com/iv5R2sY [ <- assuming that in the heat of battle Im stuck in tunnel vision on gunnery mode like most people when shit hits the fan]

Another scenario based on current sea trials (to stimulate imagination): 

>be capn. of a yacht

>load doubles

>get behind big ship at 13 kn

>oh shit its rake time

>fire ranging shot

>hit.jpg

>crew and me blinded by smoke for a second

>nvm, just fire below xXxNelson69xXx

>great success

>get promoted to Great Admiral General pro hax no scope commander Elite of the Carribeans

• Like 1

All is cool! The post was possed as a reason to not have names ("I didn't care much until... ") .

Just trying to determine what it was giving away in the photo by being visible. Keep the suggestions coming :)

No worries!

It provides a reference point that you may not otherwise have had, and it's far more critical if the target isn't moving parallel with you - you can track it by the name while you're waiting for the smoke to clear. It will also be critical in situations where the smoke doesn't clear very fast, say, light air, and you have a friendly sail between you - seeing that green name come into view despite the smoke allows you more information than you should have about what's there and what's not. Low visibility due to smoke was a factor in quite a few historical battles.

I agree. There is a chance, if you fire decks independently, that you can use the ship name as the equivalent of a marker (err, honing becon).

In truth, the kind of smoke generation that blinds (in game) you is 99% of the time from your own Cannons. Meaning, I do not garner alot of additional information from the time I fired, to the time the smoke clears (as we all can project where a ship will travel within a short timespan).

Feedback received. Intent of the thread fulfilled. I am less aligned on the significance, but it is the developer's opinion that matters :) not mine! Through our discourse, both parties have given their respects. Adieu :)

(I think France will be my nation of choice)

The English fleet was in a leeward position and thus had a better range, but the English gunners overcompensated for this, and so their shots mostly fell short. Fierce southern winds and rain blew the smoke from the English guns back to the ships, blinding them, and they were unaware the Dutch ships were rarely hit. 

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_V%C3%

^just something I read this morning

matain names on friendly ships (for organisational reasons)

tag enemies with alphabetical letters (Alpha, Bravo, Charlie, ...)

like this one http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NATO_phonetic_alphabet#mediaviewer/File:FAA_Phonetic_and_Morse_Chart2.svg

if there will ever be more than 26 ships on enemie team you can combin stuff like Alpha One, Bravo One, ...... , .... , Alpha Two, Bravo Two)

MechWarrior Online does something like this. Allows targets to be called easily without relying on player names.

Anyway, yes I've been a priority target for quite a few people regardless of ship size. It usually leads to tunnel visioning and failure as I'm not always the biggest threat, however it does get annoying. I'm fine with seeing friendly names, but for enemies using the NATO or similar phonetic alphabet is a pretty good idea in these death match scenarios. Open world I'd love something a bit more realistic. Having to look at flags and so on, which is a habit I've already gotten into depending on weather conditions or proximity.