Game-Labs Forum

5 hours ago, Hawkwood said:

If they do this, game is going to lose a LOT of players. I guarantee you that.

So think twice before posting something maybe...

what do mean by " a LOT of players "? the 300 still in game.. oh wait if u remove also ALT , maybe 200

6 hours ago, Custard said:

I haven't completed the tutorial because I am so shallow I want the rewards when game goes live

I assume upon release that will be reset and you will have to do them over again to get the rewards.

5 hours ago, traitorous mctraitoro said:

Well tbf it's not an all time low, that's a fact. Map wilenwas worse.

Now plz god don't wipe my ships, I'm too useless to earn enough to get them back with nothing. Now is fine I'm rich enough to make more money, (evils of capatilsm), but if you wipe I'll never get close to what I'm at now.

Yes we are in the past we had PvP1 and PvP2 servers and with them combine we had way more than now.  We are looking at PvP2 numbers right now.  This would be the best time to do a wipe for testing.  If you don’t want your rank don’t redeem it, but we all get to keep that any way upon reease.  Many of us are sitting on so much resources we don’t need to use the Econ or do trade runs.  So to best test the crafting and trade lol old stuff needs to be wiped.

we are Alpha testers after all so why not let us test things give proper feed back and get this game released.  It’s not like every thing is going to be wiped in a few months any way right @admin?  Any update on planed released of game?

12 hours ago, Draymoor said:

This makes no sense to be honest... having 300 and losing 100 is clearly worse. We were at 500 before patch 27 and look at what that did. Still fail to see what a partial or soft wipe would achieve right now anyway. 

I agree. I'd rather see the "welcome to caribbean" operation and localizationg implemented first and push for release and final wipe after economy is balanced and done. Everything else can come later. While I am eagerly waiting for the wipe, you can't keep wiping over and over and over when the game remains in EA and constant wipe phase for years. I enjoy a fresh start as much as the next guy but we lose players every wipe and some of them, no doubt, forever. 

This wipe before the final wipe idea would only make sense, if the economy was finished, polished and release ready and we had enough players to really test it. I don't see either being the case currently, so what's the point?

7 hours ago, Morty said:

what do mean by " a LOT of players "? the 300 still in game.. oh wait if u remove also ALT , maybe 200

It is rather ironic many of you think this way. Having this few active players is exactly why every single one of them matters. If we had a few thousand active players, nobody would miss a couple hundred but with the few hundred we have it is a bit different. 

How can you be certain about there being enough players to fill the map after release? We can all speculate or guess...

The NA vessel is loosing its crew due to a contagious desease...It can barely sail with such a low crew number.

The captain should go back to port, clean the vessel and contract with new crew, veteran sailors will join or will take a rest.

The vessel mission is not completed, better to take such a "tactical" decision than staying on the ocean with the risk of sinking and never achieve its mission.  

• Like 3

I've got no problem with wipes, I really enjoyed the last one. I am also in the 'wipe everything' camp. But a wipe now would really hurt numbers. Neither the OW game, RvR nor the economy work properly with such low numbers as it is (I log onto my alt once every couple of weeks and make well over a million reals with a few mouse clicks and I don't even have to leave port because there is so little competition for certain resources atm). I come on to test things in patches and am active on forum still but I've virtually stopped playing otherwise. Wiping now, when players know another is imminent would remove any incentive to play other than to test and make the war server nothing more than a 'test bed' and numbers would drop even more and then it is difficult to test anything with regard to things like the economy or RvR mechanics. Devs should just do whatever is fastest track to Beta, if that requires a wipe then fine, but they need to maintain a reasonable number of players to be able to test properly.

4 hours ago, Celtiberofrog said:

The NA vessel is loosing its crew due to a contagious desease...It can barely sail with such a low crew number.

The captain should go back to port, clean the vessel and contract with new crew, veteran sailors will join or will take a rest.

The vessel mission is not completed, better to take such a "tactical" decision than staying on the ocean with the risk of sinking and never achieve its mission.  

This right here is 100% correct.

Why are we worried about annoying maybe 50% of the 200 people that still actively play?

I would much rather Game-Labs focus on attracting NEW players than try and retain ones that have already decided the game just isn't for them....

Let's start with with an even playing field.  (We're already keeping our XP, getting a Pandora and will have a giant headstart on knowledge base...)

It's clearly time for some fresh blood and new heroes (and villains)  in the game.

7 hours ago, Vernon Merrill said:

Why are we worried about annoying maybe 50% of the 200 people that still actively play?

By pissing off 50% of any customer base any business will soon fail to thrive.  You know anything about sales/marketing or how to attract people into a concept, product or service?  That is a surefire way to absolute complete destruction, but yeah we'll see how long a product will last with no customers... 

I would much rather Game-Labs focus on attracting NEW players than try and retain ones that have already decided the game just isn't for them....

I have heard the game has sold between 100,000-200,000 copies.  That is a very impressive number, it is high, which means many people of many different backgrounds have hopes for the game or did at one point or another.  Most big studios sell each title on average around 150,000 times.  Some go a little higher than that, but you're talking big blockbuster games with heaps and heaps of marketing/advertising power behind them.  There may or may not be new players out there to attract.  All businesses go through a period of rapid growth, followed by a stable period and then a period of contraction.  The only way forward is through change/reinvention.  If they've reached peak NA already, then you may see a slower growth rate than expected on release.  Time will tell.

Let's start with with an even playing field.  (We're already keeping our XP, getting a Pandora and will have a giant headstart on knowledge base...)

Debatable.  There will always be noobs and always be veterans in any game.  I know I started as a fresh Midshipman at one point before I defected to a life of NA piracy in a literal sea of Rear Admirals sailing 5th rates on up and it didn't hold me back one bit, in fact it propelled me to higher levels because I wanted to also get to sail big ships too one day.  So I don't think the theory that noobs will be turned off by vets having nice ships is so grounded in reality.  I think it's just some players desires including yourself.  Either way all you're doing is stalling veterans for 1-2 weeks while they rebuild their supply mats and farms, plus we have the DLC ships to begin with.  

It's clearly time for some fresh blood and new heroes (and villains)  in the game.

Or we could get the many who loved the game to love it again.  It's always harder to go forward when you go backwards.  

• Like 1

On 12/21/2018 at 7:54 AM, Vernon Merrill said:

This right here is 100% correct.

Honestly we should of had half a dozen wipes over time, but to many folks would get upset cause they forget we are testing a game in development.  I just can't see us properly testing the econ system while folks are all ready sitting on tons of resources from an older system.  This is why I said a soft wipe.  We don't need to wipe rank and ships as we have tested that stuff, what we need to wipe is econ stuff so econ can be properly tested.  Hell can even keep the ports the same as we aren't testing RvR and well it's dead any way.

Than when ever some time next year or the one after they are ready to release we will have the full wipe and clean slate.  Though right now we should take advantage of the low numbers and do a wipe and get the game moving forward.  Localization is getting knocked out pretty fast by players so that can be easly finished up in a short time.  So what is left getting the last of the core mechanics worked out as most of that is done.  It's basicly about time for use to move into a beta status and polish the game up for release.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Capn Rocko said:

If a wipe were to happen, it should have happened when the new currency was introduced. Instead of letting the PvEers keep their money while making the PvPers poor. 

I disagree with this. Although the currency changes caused an upheaval for the players it was really only a step in the transition from the old economy to the new. The upcoming update is where a wipe should take place as it puts the final parts of the new base economy in place. 

Retaining vast resources and cash imo has a larger chance of resulting in bringing old problems into the new system giving deceiving or outright faulty data and feedback. This can result in development choices that harm or worst case wreck the new system.

Some will disagree others will argue who cares I just want pvp and the economy doesn't interest me nor does it matter beyond giving me new ships to sink/fight with. They are wrong the economy is in my view at least as important as good combat to this game. A well developed economy provides reasons for players to get out to make money to acquire resources for new toys. Evidence of this exists now the current economy is lackluster, at least we can agree it needs work or is missing something. Posts to this effect are out there from ports lacking enough value to encourage RvR to not being able to find good PvP opportunities. Yes low pop and other arguments that are advanced are factors as well but to deny the importance of the current economy plays in this is a mistake. In this game as in reality the reason we fight is simple money, power and control. People will achieve that thru different avenues and have different ideas on how to achieve those goals, but diluted down the motives are the same. 

Combat is essential to this game we can have all the reasons to fight but if the combat isn't engaging or hopelessly broken the game fails. Combat still has its problems but it's good enough to keep people engaged. The economy simply is not. It's not doing its job to get people out fighting and helping support and give meaning to RvR. If this new economy similarly fails due to poor development choices this game will do what the doom sayers keep crying everytime something happens they disagree with, die. IMO the best chance to ensure good data and thus good development choices for the new economy going foward is to wipe removing variables that can corrupt data and feedback.