Game-Labs Forum

Le Req is changing the game!

I sail  around in a normal frigat (oak/oak) (got a fight yesterday against a dane near Pasaje, he was in pfrig and he won (very close margin), battle took 50 minutes to complete, there was no running).

The day before that i got 2 indiaman, one near 'spanish town (danish), the other one near Plymouth (Swedish). In that same frigat. Indiamen are not very challenging to fight (the second one had three of them, he made two escape, so it was easy to sink the player).

Or I sail essex or belle poule or a wapen or a connie, anything that is not really meta. Becuase where is the challenge in using the best ship (and mods) and then 'overpowering' everything you meet?

Do I win often? Certainly not. Ussually i either meet a group of players (no chance to even have a fight) and sink, or I meet a ship above my class (that is fitted for speed) and i lose again (sometimes, when i'm lucky and the other captain is less experienced I may get them to flee, but cannot catch them to finish off).

But sure, some people want things to be easy. Each their own style i geuss?

the le requin doesnt increase PVP as a fun part of the game ... it makes pvp boring I dont want t tag or join a battle when a enemy le requin is involved its a pointless exercise there is no skill in pointng le requin up wind and going afk while the chase ships fall behind  .. all that happens is more noobs who dont know how to counter it get clubbed and leave game ..

yes i could go out and chase a le requin in one of my own ... but all that does is make it the only ship in town .. whats the point of  trading and crafting if to get a decent battle everyone has to sail around in a dlc  broken op ship

• Like 7

9 minutes ago, Grundgemunkey said:

the le requin doesnt increase PVP as a fun part of the game ... it makes pvp boring I dont want t tag or join a battle when a enemy le requin is involved its a pointless exercise there is no skill in pointng le requin up wind and going afk while the chase ships fall behind  .. all that happens is more noobs who dont know how to counter it get clubbed and leave game ..

yes i could go out and chase a le requin in one of my own ... but all that does is make it the only ship in town .. whats the point of  trading and crafting if to get a decent battle everyone has to sail around in a dlc  broken op ship

You have it in a nutshell. You also can factor in what's the point of sinking them anyway, they just get another free one tomorrow. Then they'll be back again doing the same. As you say, BORING.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Arngill said:

I seem to recall some highly successful raiders using fast Endy's. It didn't just start when they introduced the Le Requin.

This is true, but at least you had to collect mats and have a shipyard to make and endy. At least there was some risk and a 1 month playing noob who hasn't even learned to manual sail yet would not be able to easily disengage if things went bad. It's not just Le Reqs. Hercs are OP too. Any 5th rate with a build that is fast enough to catch a herc will have a tough time fighting it. (unless it's really pimped). A solo Endymion is as likely to become the hunted rather than the hunter now, which would be fine, but it does suck losing a ship to an inferior player cos he has the DLC and as you say, you can't really 'win' anyway, cos he has nothing to lose. 

• Like 2

Just now, Hullabaloo said:

This is true, but at least you had to collect mats and have a shipyard to make and endy.

This is not entirely a fact for everyone out there. Many do play multiplayer and rely on other players to fulfil different age of sail roles.

Raiding provides materials while raiding ( or at least did in past patches ). Sailing back with the loot and voilá, your best crafter buddy builds you a brand new replacement.

Many raiders out there even had specific contracts in exchange for specific ships.

But none of that is a mechanic of the game, but player done. It is listed nowhere.

It is called cooperation and enough Endymions would be build with catching just 1, just 1, indiaman convoy transporting materials to build ships of the line without having to wait 24 hours.

Now it is even easier. Kill, marks, kill, marks. Exchange for new ship, because crafter cannot be arsed to go hunting and he will appreciate the marks in exchange for his crafting.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Arngill said:

You have it in a nutshell. You also can factor in what's the point of sinking them anyway, they just get another free one tomorrow. Then they'll be back again doing the same. As you say, BORING.

I do not understand why people keep bringing up the "they just get another free one tomorrow" as an argument against the Le Requin, the same applies to any DLC ship and basic cutters are even worse because they do not even have a cooldown. Also as the Devs have pointed out a person can capture unlimited small ships and use them to attack endlessly.

The problem with the Le Requin is not that it is a DLC ship that can be redeemed daily but that it is a ship with little downside especially when fitted with mods. It can fight with the knowledge that if things start getting hairy then they can point up wind and get away and almost nothing can catch it. If the Le Requin was a ship that could be built in game it would still be the goto ship for clubbing newbies in the green zone and people would churn out multiple ones per day as not that much mats are required for a 5th rate.

35 minutes ago, z4ys said:

what ship does not have little downsides when fitted with the right mods?

I agree but problem is not just ship herself DLC ships showed another issue:

Alot of players rather pay real money than deal with getting money and craft or buy new ship

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Archaos said:

I do not understand why people keep bringing up the "they just get another free one tomorrow"

Not specifically the Le Req. I don't like any DLC ships that are auto redeemable (particularly powerful ones). Simply because 'risk' is an important factor in an MMO. A crafted ship has a cost to losing it. A monetary cost to you or your clan, or a cost in the time and effort spent in accruing gold or marks to purchase it, minimal in a lot of cases true, but at least there is something to be considered and some risk to be weighed up. Sinking enemy shipping has a 'cost' to the enemy and so has a wider impact on the gameworld (in theory at least , although admittedly only very slightly in NA atm). But it still gives a meaning to the engagement (other than bragging rights). Redeemable DLC ships negate this.This alters behaviour and makes the battle less satisfying imo. Bringing in redeemable DLC ships signals that the devs have abandoned any attempt to make player actions have any effect on the game world, and that makes for a less interesting and rewarding game generally. The Basic Cutter is slightly different because you cannot tag with it (brought in fore mainly for this reason).

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Hullabaloo said:

...A crafted ship has a cost to losing it. A monetary cost to you or your clan, or a cost in the time and effort spent in accruing gold or marks to purchase it...

"Cost" is a fake feature currently. We cried long enough to reduce eco to nothing. The longer we play the less struggle we encounter the less we get effected by loss. We are swimming in pvp marks. A pvp mark ship is nothing else as a dlc ship that we can redeem more often and contains even a 3rd rate that can be modded like all the dlc ships to be op. I need to craft something wait let me look into my warehouse sure do you need 500 of those ships?

image.png.f96b2827990ef166f1934785ce65ec

Sure the thought that it will matter to sink this crafted ship will make us sleep better but ugly truth is it doesnt matter. A player playing the game for some time is immune to loss, cost or whatever.

3 hours ago, Arngill said:

I seem to recall some highly successful raiders using fast Endy's. It didn't just start when they introduced the Le Requin.

Someone mentioned an oak oak frigate, not even going to bother exlaining the obvious about hunting alone at capital areas with such a ship.

Successful raiders using fast endys.

Yes, that works if you are in group. If you are hunting alone and you go to capital area with fast endys (meaning like fir/fir i take it), you can escape some ships, yes. And you can take down some traders, yes.

What are you going to do solo in a fir/fir endy against another frigate that is not fir/fir?. You are going to get sunk, that's what's going to happen. (Now i am taking into account about the same skill lvl just for fairness, anyone can take down any ship if one captain is bad and the other is good).

Fast frigates like Endy, Renomee etc.. being fir/fir are good for chasing. So in a group they are very good. But again, as solo hunter it limits what you are able to take down.

That is what hercules and le requin are good for, they may still need adjustment not arguing with that. But they are also about the only ships that a solo hunter can actually do some pvp'ing in without getting insta-ganked.

(We do have snow, which in right hands can take down large preys, but that's it).

Belle Poule then,.. yes a good ship for solo hunting. Except without front guns that ship ain't really that good at hunting now is it?. I would gladly use belle if had front guns.

Trincomalee, also a good ship that can be used for solo hunting, but.. no aft guns?, not really good for retreating. You would have turn your ship to fire and if chased by several that is not a good option.

Remove reinforcement zone and i can assure you i will never set foot on a dlc ship again. Let the ones who want to do some fighting on their own have some ship to choose from.

Oh we also have the pfrigate, don't know much about that one to be honest, but last pfrig i saw was close to Willemstad. He got ganked and sunk 5 minutes later. 

Yes that is true. I did say 'in theory :)

That's a problem with the economy though. And you did have to 'work' for those riches, you have played a lot, and that's why losing ships matter less. That might not be the case for the player you sink. Your 'reward' for that is that you can sail a 'very fast' purple Bellona with cartegena and copper. Would you care if you lost that? Would you just throw it away? Perhaps not.

8 minutes ago, Po Tsai said:

That is what hercules and le requin are good for, they may still need adjustment not arguing with that. But they are also about the only ships that a solo hunter can actually do some pvp'ing in without getting insta-ganked

Yes this is a fair point, perhaps properly rebalanced as a 'craftable' ship they might have been good additions to the game.  I'm not blaming anyone for using them. But they were a  method to raise cash that was detrimental to the wider game I think. DLC's should only be cosmetic.

• Like 1

On 8/10/2018 at 2:15 PM, Hullabaloo said:

This is true, but at least you had to collect mats and have a shipyard to make and endy. At least there was some risk and a 1 month playing noob who hasn't even learned to manual sail yet would not be able to easily disengage if things went bad. It's not just Le Reqs. Hercs are OP too. Any 5th rate with a build that is fast enough to catch a herc will have a tough time fighting it. (unless it's really pimped). A solo Endymion is as likely to become the hunted rather than the hunter now, which would be fine, but it does suck losing a ship to an inferior player cos he has the DLC and as you say, you can't really 'win' anyway, cos he has nothing to lose. 

I agree entirely, I was just making the point that you didn't have to use a LE Req to be a successful raider, which is what Po Tsai seemed to me to be implying. I Dislike the DLC concept as much as you do.

• Like 1

On 8/11/2018 at 2:40 AM, z4ys said:

"Cost" is a fake feature currently. We cried long enough to reduce eco to nothing. The longer we play the less struggle we encounter the less we get effected by loss. We are swimming in pvp marks. A pvp mark ship is nothing else as a dlc ship that we can redeem more often and contains even a 3rd rate that can be modded like all the dlc ships to be op. I need to craft something wait let me look into my warehouse sure do you need 500 of those ships?

image.png.f96b2827990ef166f1934785ce65ec

Sure the thought that it will matter to sink this crafted ship will make us sleep better but ugly truth is it doesnt matter. A player playing the game for some time is immune to loss, cost or whatever.

Warehouse looking like that isn't the games fault,  it's a strong hint you need to get out more,  get some sun, enjoy life beyond playing with cartoon ships eight hours a day.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Arngill said:

I agree entirely, I was just making the point that you didn't have to use a LE Req to be a successful raider, which is what Po Tsai seemed to me to be implying. I Dislike the DLC concept as much as you do.

DLC ship concept is not bad if done right, but devs made a fatal mistake of using ships that are too strong.DLC ships should be more about eye candy than having advantage over crafted ships.

Question: would reaction on DLC ships be as is it now if santa cecilia and wasa were first DLC ships with proper cooldowns?

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Lovec1990 said:

DLC ship concept is not bad if done right, but devs made a fatal mistake of using ships that are too strong.DLC ships should be more about eye candy than having advantage over crafted ships.

Question: would reaction on DLC ships be as is it now if santa cecilia and wasa were first DLC ships with proper cooldowns?

If they wanted to sell DLC the yes eye candy would be a good idea because it wouldn't screw up the game balance. So people could have their own pennants, paint jobs,  ships names etc. Buying the cosmetic DLC would allow the player to apply naff eye candy to all his ships indefinitely or maybe a limited number of pimpings for a given price. 

20 minutes ago, Arngill said:

If they wanted to sell DLC the yes eye candy would be a good idea because it wouldn't screw up the game balance. So people could have their own pennants, paint jobs,  ships names etc. Buying the cosmetic DLC would allow the player to apply naff eye candy to all his ships indefinitely or maybe a limited number of pimpings for a given price. 

No i did not meant paints,figureheads but ships that are medium performers of their class but look good look at santa she performs similar to hermione yet looks so much nicer plus is 12pd frigate so she would not dominate 5th rates

3 hours ago, William Wade said:

Warehouse looking like that isn't the games fault,  it's a strong hint you need to get out more,  get some sun, enjoy life beyond playing with cartoon ships eight hours a day.

My warehouse looks similar, it is not getting out more it is the consistent time players put into the game (3-4 hours a day? maybe even less). I believe that if that is your opinion you have never played an MMO with a player driven economy lmao. I work in the weekends and am able to get like 2 hours a day during the week so, time put in does not say everything, it is also a matter of efficiency as during the morning and afternoon of my weekends I usually play airsoft and in the evening I work.

Edited by Abraham van Riebeeck

Title of this topic should be "Le Req is ruining the game". Because it is. As I write this, half a dozen Pirates in Le Req's are ganking around kpr, of course, superior numbers of players in REAL ships are going out to do battle, but to what end? the Le Req trickship just runs upwind and no-one can touch them. I even chased one DOWNWIND in T/T Bellona , copper plated, Bovenwinds, hull refit still can't catch the bloody things. And I f we do sink one, well whoopydoo! they just get another tomorrow. Congats devs, I think this time you've really done it. I hope the revenue from the DLC sales is worth it.

Pissed off, may leave.

Edited by Arngill
spelling
  • Like 1