Game-Labs Forum

Why Civil Wars are Necessary

This is a very VERY small window to what can happen when 1 clan goes rouge. Little River is a US port, if a clan decides to go rouge, they can take all held ports and do this, screwing over everyone and there's nothing a nation can do.

For the record, this clan isn't rouge, this is just a circumstantial example.

204F8EE7CD9B400923BE50A7CB40F11E4212C93E

@Slim Jimmerson

I agree totally that a Civil War Mechanic is a must. However, they need to be regulated or “Limited” in time and scope and NOT a FREE FOR ALL. I’ve commentated on this at length before and won’t bore by repeating it here.

The main context I wanted was a “Unique Feature” for just Pirate Clans that can be hired to help in the defense or attack of said short clash. I believe @admin was moving more away from this Civil War concept and instead focused on adding more nations…

Norfolk

Just now, z4ys said:

pay other nations to deal with such a problem. Prussia hired VP to do so ;-)

Well that's no fun. What makes you think the other side will hold their side of the bargain? I'd rather nations have the ability to handle themselves than hire other nations to fight proxy wars.....against themselves :blink:

Hmmm, what leads to more pvp, open back doors or civil war?

Is civil war something you can realistically hope for? There must be a million-billion exploits, griefing opportunities and general headaches attached to it, no?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, jodgi said:

Is civil war something you can realistically hope for? There must be a million-billion exploits, griefing opportunities and general headaches attached to it, no?

there are billions of possible exploits.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, jodgi said:

Implemented correctly the griefing/ exploit would be negligible. 

Off the top I'd make it so you can only have 1 civil war every few weeks. In the event of a civil war, one clan declares war on another, all the other clans then vote to either join one side or the other or remain neutral, the civil war only last at max 1 week and after all hostilities are over and hopefully disputes settled.

Not a mainstay event, but something that can be used to resolve dispute within a nation, which as the game grows will become more and more common

Edited by Slim Jimmerson

Just now, jodgi said:

Or not, like, at all.

then its whatever, at least you tried. But simply hoping all clans in a nation work together is unrealistic in a global server where everyone has conflicting interest. And when something like this happens and we have to use outside means of solving in-nation issues, well, its not very sanbox-y if you ask me.

Edited by Slim Jimmerson

Just now, rediii said:

There has to be a mechanic. It can only be used in portbattles though in my oppinion, no OW battles.

This I can get behind. There's nothing here to resolve on OW, its all the fact that this "rogue" clan holds an important port, leaving it open which is basically griefing the nation. Just the simple ability to reclaim the port for the betterment of the nation would be enough.

Edited by Slim Jimmerson

Just now, Capn Rocko said:

TDY is very thoughtful and knows how to act diplomatically. A lesson the US nation as a whole could learn ;)

I appreciate the civility, but I kindly ask we leave server politics out of the suggestion. I know we can all see who owns the port, but I posted this because its a good circumstantial example of why this could be a problem in the future, not to start discussion on the rhyme and reason behind this clans actions or the actions US as a whole

Many thanks o7

Edited by Slim Jimmerson
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, Slim Jimmerson said:

the fact that this "rogue" clan holds an important port, leaving it open which is basically griefing the nation.

This actually happened in DA-NO land a while ago. Some feathers were ruffled, sure, and we had the opportunity to throw fuel on the fire by hitting on traders who came with diplomatic papers in hand. It passed quickly. "Sjov og spas". ;)

4 minutes ago, jodgi said:

This actually happened in DA-NO land a while ago. Some feathers were ruffled, sure, and we had the opportunity to throw fuel on the fire by hitting on traders who came with diplomatic papers in hand. It passed quickly. "Sjov og spas". ;)

Ok well just because your nation worked it out doesn't mean every nation will. Heck, some nations may want to throw fuel on the fire for the fun of it. Who are we to deny them that option when this is a game, and internal conflict is just as much relevant as external in any situation involving many people working together?

7 minutes ago, Batman said:

The land of the brave and free apparently hates free ports. lol

Its because in this circumstance, a freeport near our capital means a gankers outpost for our enemies. In a more extreme case a salty/traitorous clan leader in high position could do this with ALL his ports, even going as far as removing all friendly clans from the defense list. Basically giving away US territory, except the US is unable to take it back.

It's probably one of the ripest exploits of the game. Eventually it will happen, and without a proper way to intervene, it will ruin the game for the unlucky nation.

Edited by Slim Jimmerson
  • Like 1

It is a odd conclusion.

An outpost in a enemy nation port is meaningless as no one can teleport or tow.

At best is a repair haven.

But, fair points.

What is your suggestion specifics for it ? Remember that conquest now is nation-clan driven and ports are open to all the nation but ruled over by a clan ( forget old conquest form ).

5 minutes ago, z4ys said:

Have you tried to talk?

I'm gonna stop you there. Yes nations should work together, but nations are also made up of clans, all of whom have their own goals which may interfere with each other.

Forcing people to 100% always work together, doesn't magically breed teamwork, it actually makes us despise each other even more because we can't settle things without being fake kind and diplomatic with each other. If my clan wants to piss off the British while everyone else wants to ally, I'm still going to attack British ports and ruin the ally for the rest of my nation while I sit and laugh because I can so easily troll whoever I want with no repercussions.

Not having civil wars is not fun, not realistic, nor faithful to the sandbox element this game thrives on. It's actually anti-gameplay.

Edited by Slim Jimmerson
  • Like 1