Game-Labs Forum

Dissapointed

I have sailed manny ships played potbs an long time......

I am regretting buying this game now after the snow and new ship adds and things on the forrums that are getting listend to i tought this would be an diffrent game in stead it is gooing the potbs way.......... the snow is not an fighter it was an hauling ship and defently soemthing made up looks liek ti more and more........ just an big dissapointment my mate is building an new pc for this game i might tell him to even not do that..... :-( so sad to mutch fantasy stuff

I am regretting buying this game now after the snow and new ship adds and things on the forrums that are getting listend to i tought this would be an diffrent game in stead it is gooing the potbs way.......... the snow is not an fighter it was an hauling ship and defently soemthing made up looks liek ti more and more........ just an big dissapointment my mate is building an new pc for this game i might tell him to even not do that..... :-( so sad to mutch fantasy stuff

It says armed transport on wiki, it has many guns to act as a fighting ship.

The Ontario was built in 1780 on Carleton Island, a major base in the St Lawrence River for the British during the Revolutionary War, but now part of New York. She was operated by the Royal Navy for the Provincial Marine in the capacity of an armed transport.[3]

Ontario4.jpg

I hope you give this game a chance to develop before shoving it aside based on one ship you don't like. If you wanted a cargo ship the admin has a thread requesting a suggested ship with few or no cannons in the shipyard forum. :)

• Like 1

I am sorry you feel that way man, but based on your arguement I cannot see how you can justify the game as being a "disappointment". The snow is directly modeled after a real ship that was an armed transport. It is well armed for battles against other light ships, yes,  but is still outclassed by the heavier ships and easier to sink than the brig from what I have experienced. I just don't see how this ship is game breaking in anyway.

Lists on wiki as a warship.. classed as a sixth rate.
She was an armed transport and the biggest warship on the lakes at the time. Not all warships were used for their intended role. Some became hulks, transports or any manner of other mission types. That does not change the fact that she was built for war.

In game you will notice she is slower than most other ships and basically a floating target.

A ship that small with 22 cannon faithfully reproduced, something that never saw battle but quite easily could have. Who is to say this would NOT be used as an armed transport in game?

Who ever said it was supposed to be part of the navies front line assets?

The Brig has a lower signature for a similar size.

She is of the right time period and like most other ships modelled so far. Was very well preserved and recorded for modelling or actually still exists! Making it easier to reproduce without guess work.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HMS_Ontario_%281780%29

My only quesiton to the devs is would great lakes warships built on the lake ever be fit to travel in the deepest oceans?

• Like 1

My only quesiton to the devs is would great lakes warships built on the lake ever be fit to travel in the deepest oceans?

Yes, they would be capable of that.

But by modern standards, ocean sailing in a ship with the depth of ballast of, say, Niagara, would be a nerve-wracking experience.

They just had a different view of acceptable risk, back in the day, combined with consummate seamanship and a willingness to sail conservatively even if it meant losing time. You didn't have HMS Bounty putting to see in a hurricane in order to make a profitable visit to Florida.

Snow

"This ship was poplular with the French Navy, coming into service during the Revolution and continuing through the Napoleonic Wars. The Royal Navy made good use of the snow, as did the US Navy but she was especially loved by the French on both sides of the Atlantic who called her a corvette. This is a good place to note that the snow's speed also made her a favorite of pirates and prvateers. In the Gulf of Mexico during the early 19th century she would often be rerigged to resemble a hermaphrodite brig. The Lafite brothers' ships Dos Hermanos and Dorada as well as Renato Beluche's La Popa and Dominique Youx's Tigre were probably all originally merchant snows.

http://paulinespiratesandprivateers.blogspot.com/2011/02/ships-faithful-snow.html

Snow use complaining, ships R perfect... all we need is proper boarding animations and bar and canister shot... if you want spells go play a real game like WoW and if you want sim then go and play ship simulator (their has to be a slightly unrealistic side (e.g: ships 1-3 kts faster then real life) otherwise game would be boring.

Perfect balance, perfect game... ps, what fantasy? What magic fantasy? Even if the ships were generic they can be realistic...

• Like 2

I think you will find it's many peoples wet dream here to sail the real ships modelled as close as possible including myself.

The snow is a real corvette. An awesome piece of kit. I think the difference between this and a sea going corvette would be under the waterline. Am I right?

There are a few tolerable abstractions like the time it takes to sink a ship and ships sinking at all. But who has a whole day and night to finish a chase/battle?

• Like 2

Agreed Destraex, but even if they made ships with real physics that never existed I would be happy (after they have made all the real ships), a snow is actually a type of thinner trade brig made for war and trade (brigs were more trade oriented), think French settler from AOE3 or Dutch trade ship from rise of nations (but real life).

In sea battles a snow is usually called a brig in the lineup count such as the one's in the Battle of Lake Erie.

Corvette!!! That's the spirit. Now I recognise her from that scene in the hornblower TV series

So after I saw this I went searching for the TV show, found it on YouTube and watched the first episode. After it was over I looked up at my open tabs and forgot that I was browsing these forums to try and keep up to date with everything lol. Thanks for inadvertently introducing me to a great TV series  :P

You have been on the forums since 2013

You might have missed this http://forum.game-labs.net/index.php?/topic/535-player-selected-ship-winter-2014/. You also missed the selection where you could have said something.I don't see your posts in those topics.

This ship was selected by Captains and Testers. Respect their choice please.

Santisima and forthcoming Ingermanland were also chosen by players.

• Like 6

So after I saw this I went searching for the TV show, found it on YouTube and watched the first episode. After it was over I looked up at my open tabs and forgot that I was browsing these forums to try and keep up to date with everything lol. Thanks for inadvertently introducing me to a great TV series  :P

lol. It is indeed one of the best. It was so expensive to make that they had to stop at something like 6 episodes that were 1.5hrs or so long.

Shame they had to stop. I own it on DVD. You can watch this TV series over and over and it never gets old. Their is one episode (1.5hr episodes are like movies) with a 74 iirc.

• Like 1

Psst...

• Like 2

To the OP, are you basing the fact that s\Snow was a Hauler on the fact that it Was in POTBS? I played Pirates since Open Beta and this game is much better than it. I wouldn't base anything on what POTBS portrays.

Well, snow is more a type of rig rather than a distinct vessel. Snows are a variant of the square rigged 2 masted brig type rigging (on a snow, instead of the spanker-sail/boom being mounted directly to the main mast, it's attached to a small mast just behind).

So, just like you will find merchant brigs and gun brigs, there are trading snows and naval snows. The 'van Hoorn' Snow in PotBS is a merchant snow, and the Ontario here is an armed military transport.

Quite an unusual vessel though, perhaps unique. Small even for a brig or snow, yet the hull is built like a full sized warship with an enclosed gundeck, stern gallery and guns on the quarterdeck and forecastle. So for people who don't know this is a real ship the confusion is understandable. Given her unusual appearance I'd rather like the Ontario to be a rare ship in the full game, but how to achieve this...

Perhaps due to small size/heavy armament she could be quite vulnerable to rough weather, limiting effective use to coastal areas. The original did after all sink in a storm, so its not such a stretch to question her seaworthiness. Would be an offshoot from the path of small and equally unseaworthy 10 gun brig -> large, seaworthy but not as heavily armed regular brig - > large, seaworthy and powerfully armed Brig-Sloop which would be the last step before getting a fully rigged ship.

Bah Humbug..... at the OP

Many smaller (Older style) deeper hull brigs were converted from merchant to armed transports, so popular new version were built to similar type.

Corvette, Snow, Armed transport call it what you will it could be ran as a small well armed brig/corvette or use its carrying (Hull shape and depth) capacity to be a fast transport that could deter engagements from similar sized national or privateer ships. Quite often attached to squadrons as tender and even despatch vessels, or independant cruises and missions.

It is true to its type, I don't really see this as a reason to quit a game, unless the OP is of the Troll like persuasion.

• Like 1

HMS Ontario was a deep 'sea' hull warship. Quite a different hull from later lake 'V' hull vessels such as Niagara. Naval Action created and reproduced her very faithfully!  Carrying troops, prisoners or supplies was very common for all but the largest warships of the period, it does not, by any means, turn a warship into a transport!

So what's next? this level of whining because the Ontario is what's supposed to be?.

I don't want to see this guy's reaction when any of the best East Indiamen gets modelled in this game. Because those "were just transports", right?.

Right?.

Heh.

• Like 2

So what's next? this level of whining because the Ontario is what's supposed to be?.

I don't want to see this guy's reaction when any of the best East Indiamen gets modelled in this game. Because those "were just transports", right?.

Right?.

Heh.

+1